Question about updates on Hackintosh

corrie

5 posts in this topic

Whats up everybody? I finally got my PC running OS X El Capitan, all thanks to this guide: Easy installation of El Capitan (10.11.5) in 5960X CPU! - Installation Guides - InsanelyMac Forum

But my question is, can I let the app store regularly update my OS, or will that cause me all kinds of havoc and problems to my install? I understand already that when updating to any new major release, like from El Capitan to Sierra for instance, that I will encounter problems and have to do all kinds of editing to the code and maybe even redo my clover installation. But I want to know about the tiny individual updates that happen within my current OS running, the ones that app store releases fairly regularly to keep your system at its best. Will I be able to do these updates, or will this cause me to have to make all kinds of revisions and edits to my system on a regular basis? 

Thanks to anyone and everyone for your time in reading and helping. 

[PC specs:]

Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme

CPU: Intel i7-5960X

GPU: EVGA GTX 980TI 

Whats up everybody? I finally got my PC running OS X El Capitan, all thanks to this guide: Easy installation of El Capitan (10.11.5) in 5960X CPU! - Installation Guides - InsanelyMac Forum

But my question is, can I let the app store regularly update my OS, or will that cause me all kinds of havoc and problems to my install? I understand already that when updating to any new major release, like from El Capitan to Sierra for instance, that I will encounter problems and have to do all kinds of editing to the code and maybe even redo my clover installation. But I want to know about the tiny individual updates that happen within my current OS running, the ones that app store releases fairly regularly to keep your system at its best. Will I be able to do these updates, or will this cause me to have to make all kinds of revisions and edits to my system on a regular basis? 

Thanks to anyone and everyone for your time in reading and helping. 

[PC specs:]

Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme

CPU: Intel i7-5960X

GPU: EVGA GTX 980TI 

Most small updates will probably go fine... BUT, nevertheless it is a good idea to always make a backup of your entire system disk before updating, just in case. Then if something goes wrong you always can go back. With a Hackintosh it is always a bit of a gamble to update.

• Like 1

I figured most small updates would be okay, but it took me forever just to turn my build into a successful Hackintosh to begin with lol smh hundreds of failed attempts.. so I'm gonna follow that advice and maybe even hold off on the ones that I don't really need. Thanks for the help