cannot open installer

jgoens

73 posts in this topic

Did you try both boot0af and boot0ss?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-24 at 3.03.17 AM.png

If yes, and it still doesn't work:

Have you used that USB before for "other tool", and how did you format/erase your USB in Disk Utility? 

Choosing you  usb name (partition you made) or whole drive (manufacturer name and model)?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-24 at 3.05.58 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-24 at 3.06.11 AM.png

It is possible that you have some leftovers from Chameleon/Chimera install from last time if you didn't format the whole drive (old boot files in EFI partition that is hidden in Disk Utility)...

Edit:

Or just to be sure, why wouldn't you format whole USB and then use Chris1111's installer to make bootable usb?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/

I did not set any of those parameters. I did a usb erase with disk utility before I started using the install guide here--it is a new drive, but I had the tony's tools stuff on it--and did a format as master boot record. I followed the instructions exactly in the guide here. I have never used Chameleon/Chimera so that can be ruled out. I did not name anything as far as the Clover setup went.  So, I guess I should remake the install drive with some of these parameters and see if that works? Unfortunately, I forgot my drive at home and the mac is here at work, so I will have to make a new one tomorrow and try the next day. The boot0af and ss are in the setup when making the bootable, I suppose. Maybe those might work. Thanks for the ideas..at this point I probably would have given up, as I have spent a couple hours now on just the installer part. As long as there are options to try I will keep working on it. I will try Chris's installer as well..at this point everything is worth a try--I think my issue has gone into more advanced troubleshooting.

Yes, i believe you haven't used any boot loader before, but tonys tool installs one for you.

Btw, i have BIOS (not UEFI) and i never choose Legacy install for Chris's Clover (always EFI) and my USBs are formatted GUID partition scheme.

Same when i make my own installers by Vanilla guide, I always choose "Install Clover in the ESP" and "CloverEFI 64bits SATA".

Yes, boot0af and boot0ss are in clover installation options, try both and see what works for you. Install one and then other if first doesn't work.

Don't give up, search your MoBo here, it is supported, and the installation should be almost same as for Yosemite (except CrsActiveConf=0x3 in Clover, without any Yose rootless and kext-dev-mod flags).

The problem is that i don't have your motherboard i don't know what are the boot options and settings...

Edit:

You'll have a lot of topics  on your motherboard after you boot into installer, but for now you just have to make one right. :)

• Like 1

You can even try to use an alternative to clover, here you can find a link to enoch, give it a try, install it to your pen drive and add the FakeSMC kext to /Extra/Extensions on the root of it.

Good luck :)

P.s.

Try not to get mad when you make your first hackintosh, relax, it's a work of patience...

And believe us when we suggest not to use others website "strange tools" you gonna have a cleaner "Mac".

• Like 3

Yes, i believe you haven't used any boot loader before, but tonys tool installs one for you.

Btw, i have BIOS (not UEFI) and i never choose Legacy install for Chris's Clover (always EFI) and my USBs are formatted GUID partition scheme.

Same when i make my own installers by Vanilla guide, I always choose "Install Clover in the ESP" and "CloverEFI 64bits SATA".

Yes, boot0af and boot0ss are in clover installation options, try both and see what works for you. Install one and then other if first doesn't work.

Don't give up, search your MoBo here, it is supported, and the installation should be almost same as for Yosemite (except CrsActiveConf=0x3 in Clover, without any Yose rootless and kext-dev-mod flags).

The problem is that i don't have your motherboard i don't know what are the boot options and settings...

Edit:

You'll have a lot of topics  on your motherboard after you boot into installer, but for now you just have to make one right. :)

You can even try to use an alternative to clover, here you can find a link to enoch, give it a try, install it to your pen drive and add the FakeSMC kext to /Extra/Extensions on the root of it.

Good luck :)

P.s.

Try not to get mad when you make your first hackintosh, relax, it's a work of patience...

And believe us when we suggest not to use others website "strange tools" you gonna have a cleaner "Mac".

Thanks guys--sounds like I still have several options I need to try--I will make several usb drives later and try those options.  I'm not mad, it just gets a bit frustrating when your trying to follow instructions and things don't work and it does not make sense why. I am doing this project for fun, not out of necessity as I use windows at home and mac at work. My son has an ipad and I thought it might be nice to have an OSX unit here as well since I have a unit designed for that purpose--and I am  familiar with using a mac. So far  I have  learned so much from this site..when I started I didn't even know what a kernel was or used the Terminal utility much(one time a friend at work got locked out of his computer by a disgruntled family member and he asked me to find a way to get his password. I followed a complicated youtube video and was able to reset the password). I have had and used computers for more than 25 years and most people around me ask me for help on computers. And now, here I feel like I barely know anything. 

The only reason I started this project by going to "the other site" was that was what came up when I searched for how to build a hackintosh. But, when my installer didn't work I had asked for assistance there and it didn't seem like anyone really knew, so, I thought I would try another forum before giving up. I see that here is a more organic and get down to the nuts and bolts way, which is actually a much more enriching thing than a plug and play type of approach. And I realize that once/if I get the install going there will most likely be more things that have to be done to get it working right. It's actually turning into a little hobby as I read about all the other stuff on here people are going through, even though I don't know much of the stuff they are talking about.

Owbp, maybe I should try GUID? I did use that before on my first try with the "strange tools" and got the errors I am getting now. The install guide I have been using in tutorials suggest MBR for legacy. I'm planning on making three different usb installers today.

Sorry for the long story guys, just wanted to reiterate I'm going to give it my best shot and appreciate the guidance.

Did you try both boot0af and boot0ss?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-24 at 3.03.17 AM.png

If yes, and it still doesn't work:

Have you used that USB before for "other tool", and how did you format/erase your USB in Disk Utility? 

Choosing you  usb name (partition you made) or whole drive (manufacturer name and model)?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-24 at 3.05.58 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-24 at 3.06.11 AM.png

It is possible that you have some leftovers from Chameleon/Chimera install from last time if you didn't format the whole drive (old boot files in EFI partition that is hidden in Disk Utility)...

Edit:

Or just to be sure, why wouldn't you format whole USB and then use Chris1111's installer to make bootable usb?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/

I tried Chris's boot loader and it failed. Tried both versions several times on two different USB. Takes a really long time(30 min) to install and then fails. I have made two different boot loaders one with bootOAF and the other boot0ss. 

And you're always ending up with the same error, boot1/5 error?

Its definitely some part of the Clover installation, BIOS settings or, just maybe, the way you format your USB...

Do you always go to DiskUtility - Format - 1 Partition - Options (GUID Partition Scheme), as described in first picture of this guide ?

You should definitely check out Enoch Bootloader, or even Chameleon if you're ok starting with Yosemite or down or your hack.

If you're ok with Linux, you could also try copying Chameleon/Enoch boot files manually, as per Step 4. in this guide .

I've extracted binaries from both in case you wanna go that route

Edit: Just saw that your MB can be upgraded to UEFI! 

Check out this topic in whole:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300208-appealing-to-anyone-with-a-successful-ga-z68-ud3h-b3-yosemite/

Also interesting read:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287387-bios-to-uefi-pros-and-cons/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/268511-gigabyte-ga-z68x-ud5-b3-perfect-lion-install-also-fermi/

• Like 1

And you're always ending up with the same error, boot1/5 error?

Its definitely some part of the Clover installation, BIOS settings or, just maybe, the way you format your USB...

Do you always go to DiskUtility - Format - 1 Partition - Options (GUID Partition Scheme), as described in first picture of this guide ?

You should definitely check out Enoch Bootloader, or even Chameleon if you're ok starting with Yosemite or down or your hack.

If you're ok with Linux, you could also try copying Chameleon/Enoch boot files manually, as per Step 4. in this guide .

I've extracted binaries from both in case you wanna go that route

attachicon.gifChameleon:Enoch i386.zip

Edit: Just saw that your MB can be upgraded to UEFI! 

Check out this topic in whole:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300208-appealing-to-anyone-with-a-successful-ga-z68-ud3h-b3-yosemite/

Also interesting read:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287387-bios-to-uefi-pros-and-cons/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/268511-gigabyte-ga-z68x-ud5-b3-perfect-lion-install-also-fermi/

Just tried the two new bootloaders I made last night. The one with the Boot0ss same result. The one with boot0AF gave a different error: blf:init5. Later today I will make a new one with enoch.

The article you mentioned bios to uefi pros and cons was actually the article that led me to this site. When I was on the "other" site I noticed many people were talking about Legacy and UEFI so I was googling the comparisons. I saw that there was an update for my BIOS but am unsure what that will do. Last week I called gigabyte and they said it could cause problems with the windows system, which is not what I want. They said I may have to re-load the windows system but I am unsure if my bootable cd of windows 7 would work. This computer has an important function for me, as it is connected to my tv and is used to stream movies, pics, etc from another computer. I have a fairly complex home network with multiple routers, and wifi extenders.

That being said, this challenge of the OSX part may lead to that second article you mentioned the perfect lion install. Looks fairly complicated but a route like that might be the only way. I do have a copy of Mavericks which could be another option with Chameleon which I have no experience with. That other article seems to demonstrate that this Mobo is not easy.   I have not used Linux but can look into that.

I format with disk utility..I do an erase and even a empty space erase. And then 1 partition and select GUID or mbr(before) and then apply and it formats. I'm really good at this step now. It takes a while to do each one--mainly that empty space erase. Last night I spent 4 hours and only ended up with the two loaders I tried today. I think one usb I have is bad as it fails with the vanilla method and is hard to unmounts.

Today, is my last day at work(for two days) with the mac so I will have to make some type of loader or else the next two days will just be researching days until I go back to work.

@jgoens,

Maybe try the BiosBlockIO option instead of the standard Clover 64-bits SATA?

post-846696-0-00046300-1445812842_thumb.png

When doing a legacy boot with Clover, the following chain happens (from Clover wiki)...

BIOS>boot0(in MBR) > boot1(in PBR) >boot(CloverEFI) >CLOVERX64.efi(BootManager) >OSLoader

From what you are saying, it looks like you are reaching boot1 (hence message b1f) and boot (init5), but not CloverX64.efi (where you would see the message "Welcome to Clover version xxxx”), so my guess is that something is preventing boot (CloverEFI) from reaching CLOVERX64.efi (the actual boot manager and GUI screen).

If you decide to upgrade your BIOS to UEFI, then you bypass this chain ie

UEFI>CLOVERX64.efi(BootManager)>OSLoader

Edit

From the thread that @owbp linked above and posts from others who have had success in installing OSX on your motherboard, it seems like your best bet might be to update your BIOS to at least F12.

I would recommend that you first try with F12 and Mavericks so you don't have to worry about how the beta U1l UEFI BIOS might affect your legacy Windows 7 installation.

Should you later decide to upgrade to the beta UEFI BIOS and also install Yosemite or El Capitan, it is quite possible to upgrade legacy Windows to UEFI Windows without reinstalling from scratch- see post #359 in the AIO guides here.  Maybe also post in that thread to get direct feedback from owners that have the same/similar hardware to yourself and the UEFI BIOS.

@jgoens,

attachicon.gifBiosBlockIO option.png

When doing a legacy boot with Clover, the following chain happens (from Clover wiki)...

BIOS>boot0(in MBR) > boot1(in PBR) >boot(CloverEFI) >CLOVERX64.efi(BootManager) >OSLoader

From what you are saying, it looks like you are reaching boot1 (hence message b1f) and boot (init5), but not CloverX64.efi (where you would see the message "Welcome to Clover version xxxx”), so my guess is that something is preventing boot (CloverEFI) from reaching CLOVERX64.efi (the actual boot manager and GUI screen).

PS

One handy tip to make it much easier to access the EFI partition (so you can edit Clover’s config.plist and add remove kexts to inject) is to enable Disk Utility’s debug menu from terminal:

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

The hidden partitions are shown after selecting "Show every partition" and the EFI partition can be mounted/unmounted by right clicking...

attachicon.gifEnable DU debug menu.png

To disable the debug menu, retype the same command but change the 1 to 0.

I will make a boot loader with the bioblock option and see if that works. Still wondering if the UEFI option is a good one or not--Anyone know how that will affect my windows 7 system. 

Also, tried to look into Kakewalk, not sure if that route will work. I tried the enoch boot loader a minute ago and it failed to install. I installed the El Capitan installer as per the tutorial link here I have been using and then opened the enoch 2779 pkg..but got a fail after it tried to install. Seems like these boot installers fail often for me. Clover 3292 has worked. I am considering just going for the Mavericks/ Chameleon route as well..but that will have to wait till midweek as I'll have to figure the steps for that which appear different than El Capitan.

Sorry about the link with Kakewalk :) , i've just put it there for bios settings and your board. No need to use it.

If Clover works then great, it is a little harder to start with (all those options, patches and fixes) than Chameleon/Enoch, but it gives you BIG advantage if you need iMessage/FaceTime on 10.10 or 10.11. With Chameleon you can get them to work on Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

Only few steps are different (1. kernel name and place, 2. and you have to copy two BaseSystem files) in Yosemite than ML and Mav. Get everything you can, and try it one by  one when time allows.

Trivia:

I was lucky my first time, got a dmg ML from a friend. Didn't have any Mac or Hackintosh, but i was dual booting Win7 and Xubuntu at the time, so i found that guide for making Mavericks usb in Linux and it worked. 

I mean it booted into installation, but i was fixing it for the next two (sleepless) weeks... :hysterical:

I'm sure it will be something dead simple when we see what the problem was.

Sorry about the link with Kakewalk :) , i've just put it there for bios settings and your board. No need to use it.

If Clover works then great, it is a little harder to start with (all those options, patches and fixes) than Chameleon/Enoch, but it gives you BIG advantage if you need iMessage/FaceTime on 10.10 or 10.11. With Chameleon you can get them to work on Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

Only few steps are different (1. kernel name and place, 2. and you have to copy two BaseSystem files) in Yosemite than ML and Mav. Get everything you can, and try it one by  one when time allows.

Trivia:

I was lucky my first time, got a dmg ML from a friend. Didn't have any Mac or Hackintosh, but i was dual booting Win7 and Xubuntu at the time, so i found that guide for making Mavericks usb in Linux and it worked. 

I mean it booted into installation, but i was fixing it for the next two (sleepless) weeks... :hysterical:

I was able to get Clover 2.3 special edition to load everything on and set that to biosblock. Tomorrow, I'll try these ones. At this point, the only advantage I have is in being a pro at erasing USB's and re-formatting them.

I will make a boot loader with the bioblock option and see if that works. Still wondering if the UEFI option is a good one or not--Anyone know how that will affect my windows 7 system. 

Also, tried to look into Kakewalk, not sure if that route will work. I tried the enoch boot loader a minute ago and it failed to install. I installed the El Capitan installer as per the tutorial link here I have been using and then opened the enoch 2779 pkg..but got a fail after it tried to install. Seems like these boot installers fail often for me. Clover 3292 has worked. I am considering just going for the Mavericks/ Chameleon route as well..but that will have to wait till midweek as I'll have to figure the steps for that which appear different than El Capitan.

Just tried this bootloader with bioblock option and it hangs on loading system..not even an error. Not getting too far. I enabled a logmein account which means I can access my mac at work, but I suppose I can't really make any more usb's from home since the unit is at work--I can only view all those copies of Clover I have on the desktop. And my windows computer won't even read those GUID usb's. Gotta  say I'm starting to lose hope..you guys are going above and beyond with ideas, but no matter what I try I don't get anywhere..at least to the next troubleshooting stage....it's like trying to get in the race without any gas in the car. I've read other peoples issues and hardly anyone has had a problem just getting the installer screen up.

Guid should be the right choice...

No need to get frustrated, take it easy :)

@jgoens,

attachicon.gifBiosBlockIO option.png

Edit

From the thread that @owbp linked above and posts from others who have had success in installing OSX on your motherboard, it seems like your best bet might be to update your BIOS to at least F12.

I would recommend that you first try with F12 and Mavericks so you don't have to worry about how the beta U1l UEFI BIOS might affect your legacy Windows 7 installation.

Should you later decide to upgrade to the beta UEFI BIOS and also install Yosemite or El Capitan, it is quite possible to upgrade legacy Windows to UEFI Windows without reinstalling from scratch- see post #359 in the AIO guides here.  Maybe also post in that thread to get direct feedback from owners that have the same/similar hardware to yourself and the UEFI BIOS.

Trivia:

Hopefully you guys have not given up on me yet...I going to keep trying..spoke to gigabyte today and he said many people use this board for a hackintosh and does not recommend going to UEFI. He actually had helped someone make a Hack a while back and used the tonytools. Told him I've been there done that. I prefer the right way if possible. He said to try my bootable USB on any computer to see if it boots. Tried on a windows computer an no boot. He thinks maybe the USB's just are being set as bootable. Anyways, I have a Mavericks install and tomorrow will attempt at that. I have searched options on doing that but am wondering what is the best route to take? I've spent so much time on El Capitan I'm just hoping doing Mavericks will take better on my unit. I also updated to f12 today.

Hey just remembered something from my first installations. 

I , actually, had some problem (don't remember what was exact error) with booting from my installer with Verbatim 32gb Flash, looks like this:

35189_1295962969.jpg

It was some kind of boot error and i always had it after few tries of making installer usb.

The only way to fix it was to format USB in Windows (back to NTFS or FAT32) and then reformat it back to HFS+ in OS X or Linux.

Im not using that usb since, and always buy Kinston's DT Micro for all my "booting needs", they're cheap and work like a charm.

So, it might be completely irrelevant, but i had to mention it - just maybe, it could help you to try that.

And after Windows format, you could install only boot loader to it, just to see if boot error persists. 

Regarding Mavericks, I've always used this guide (without DSDT part), but you can search forum and find dozen guides that maybe suit you better.

• Like 1

Hey just remembered something from my first installations. 

I , actually, had some problem (don't remember what was exact error) with booting from my installer with Verbatim 32gb Flash, looks like this:

35189_1295962969.jpg

It was some kind of boot error and i always had it after few tries of making installer usb.

The only way to fix it was to format USB in Windows (back to NTFS or FAT32) and then reformat it back to HFS+ in OS X or Linux.

Im not using that usb since, and always buy Kinston's DT Micro for all my "booting needs", they're cheap and work like a charm.

So, it might be completely irrelevant, but i had to mention it - just maybe, it could help you to try that.

And after Windows format, you could install only boot loader to it, just to see if boot error persists. 

Regarding Mavericks, I've always used this guide (without DSDT part), but you can search forum and find dozen guides that maybe suit you better.

I did see that guide before--looks pretty do-able--I will try that one tomorrow. Thanks. It looks like there are some steps that I have done before so maybe that will do it. I do have(yet another) usb formatted for windows to try.  Re-formatted my other one as well.

Btw, i wouldn't worry too much about OS X version, main goal is to figure out why you have boot errors with your usb stick.

Try this what i suggested from the last post, it does sound trivial, but that fixed my problem. I'm not saying they are the same, though.

You can try MyHack if you prefer automated installers, but with the Vanilla guide you do almost the same thing, just "by foot". I've always preferred that way. :)

Btw, i wouldn't worry too much about OS X version, main goal is to figure out why you have boot errors with your usb stick.

Try this what i suggested from the last post, it does sound trivial, but that fixed my problem. I'm not saying they are the same, though.

You can try MyHack if you prefer automated installers, but with the Vanilla guide you do almost the same thing, just "by foot". I've always preferred that way. :)

Ok.. I have three windows formatted usbs now for tomorrow: a Toshiba, a Lexar and a PNY. Yeah, I'm kind of with you thinking it is not the OSX and is more about the booter not working. I saw in one post someone loaded the Clover for UEFI and that worked. I might make one like that...I'll make one like the link you provided with Mavericks..and then maybe I'll look into Myhack...I don't mind following a bunch of steps but at this point I just want some progress of any kind. It was encouraging talking to the gigabyte guy who said these boards are primarily used for making a hackintosh..so there has to be a way. I kind of had another off the wall idea: making a bootable windows usb just to see if that works on the computer.

On another note: why does the Insanelymac site crash so much on IE?

I kind of had another off the wall idea: making a bootable windows usb just to see if that works on the computer.

You can try @cvad's BDUtility.exe to create a bootable Clover USB from Windows.  From my experience, it is very reliable in making bootable USBs for booting OSX.

You can even create a vanilla installer entirely from within Windows - see post#18.

Good Luck!

You can try @cvad's BDUtility.exe to create a bootable Clover USB from Windows.  From my experience, it is very reliable in making bootable USBs for booting OSX.

You can even create a vanilla installer entirely from within Windows - see post#18.

Good Luck!

I've been looking into this option..pretty cool idea..but in the end I will still need the OSX from the mac. Might be opening another can of worms.

You're right, but (for fusion's guide) you could extract InstallESD.dmg image from OS X installer(s).app on your mac and then go crazy on Win! 

Also, BDUtility can be of great help to you troubleshooting your boot errors.

In the end, it's up to you, but keep us posted!

You're right, but (for fusion's guide) you could extract InstallESD.dmg image from OS X installer(s).app on your mac and then go crazy on Win! 

I just made 3 new USB's to try. 1 with the MyHack version. 2. An El Capitan version with Clover set at UEFI..just to see if anything happens. And the third I attempted that Mavericks link using Chameleon...I think I pulled a brain cell on that one;) Most likely I screwed that one up..but at least we'll see if anything happens. I will try them tomorrow afternoon.  

Good Luck!

Ok, I got something. The Myhack installer gave a Boot0:GPT and Boot0:error. The UEFI installer did nothing. AND the usb I made with the Mavericks install link went into an installer screen with a bunch of verbose.

post-1608432-0-25882200-1446144772_thumb.jpg

Any ideas where to go from here?

This is the first screen that comes up when I start the computer. I picked verbose and hit enter.

post-1608432-0-42774500-1446145165_thumb.jpg

I've tried using the cpus=1 for the boot flag and tried -x but the same result.

I guess, this is a kernel panic? I also tried PCIrootuid=0

I'm just plugging in different flags hoping something works--seems like the CPU is not configured correctly, the bootcache control and bluetooth controller have issues as well. Figuring those with the knowledge here will know what to do.

Tried unhooking graphics card and same result.

Wow, great news, so Mavericks usb (Vanilla guide?) with Chameleon boots up! Finally some good news! :)

What have you got in your Extra and Extra/Extensions  folders except FakeSMC and org.chameleon.boot.plist? What other kexts and did you use any DSDT?

Now ill do the next step with you until someone who knows your board shows up, 

Search your panic with your motherboard or OS X version (Mavericks in this case) and you'll find possible solutions.

I know its a long shot but try adding to bootflags, GenerateCStates=Yes GeneratePStates=Yes and also boot in verbose (-v). 

Please, to help other members trying to help you, put your hardware specs in you signature so they always have it "right there". ^_^

(Gigabyte GA Z68X-UD3H-B3, Intel I7 2700 CPU 3.5 ghz, Graphics AMD Radeon 6800)

My research indicates the Bluetooth enabler transport has to do with graphics. I have tried "graphics enabler=yes." Guess I could go into the kext file on USB and delete some files?

I keep adding to this post as I try other things, so that when you guys look at it you can rule out options.

Wow, great news, so Mavericks usb (Vanilla guide?) with Chameleon boots up! Finally some good news! :)

What have you got in your Extra and Extra/Extensions  folders except FakeSMC and org.chameleon.boot.plist? What other kexts and did you use any DSDT?

Now ill do the next step with you until someone who knows your board shows up, 

Search your panic with your motherboard or OS X version (Mavericks in this case) and you'll find possible solutions.

I know its a long shot but try adding to bootflags, GenerateCStates=Yes GeneratePStates=Yes and also boot in verbose (-v). 

Please, to help other members trying to help you, put your hardware specs in you signature so they always have it "right there". ^_^

(Gigabyte GA Z68X-UD3H-B3, Intel I7 2700 CPU 3.5 ghz, Graphics AMD Radeon 6800)

tried that..still the same..Apparently graphic configurations are difficult.