Help with Radeon 6850 HD (2gb)

mediamac

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I tried almost all Mac OSX upto El Capitan but I really want to go back and install my favorite Snow Leopard 10.6.x because
 It is the most solid OSX ever for me.It supports many apps.I have DVD Studio pro 4 and it only works upto 10.6.2 so I want to try that again. 
 I have Snow Leo DVD and I can get everything working except the graphic card. It gives black screen with CPU,keyboard and mouse working.
 I don't know how to overcome this problem. Please help me.

Hi,

I tried almost all Mac OSX upto El Capitan but I really want to go back and install my favorite Snow Leopard 10.6.x because

It is the most solid OSX ever for me.It supports many apps.I have DVD Studio pro 4 and it only works upto 10.6.2 so I want to try that again. 

I have Snow Leo DVD and I can get everything working except the graphic card. It gives black screen with CPU,keyboard and mouse working.

I don't know how to overcome this problem. Please help me.

before 10.6.7 only by patching the ATY_init.kext from Snow Leopard 10.6.7 to be natively supported.That is either patch or upgrade.

( AMD Radeon HD 6850 Device ID 0x6739 )

• Like 1

before 10.6.7 only by patching the ATY_init.kext from Snow Leopard 10.6.7 to be natively supported.That is either patch or upgrade.

( AMD Radeon HD 6850 Device ID 0x6739 )

Can you help with more info on patching. I will be installing 10.6.3 and I do not upgrade because DVD Studio pro 4 will not work on 10.6.8

Thanks in advance !

I have no idea of DVD Studio Pro, but can you confirm that DVD Studio Pro works on Yosemite.
I have read in the last minute some postings, which some users had Install problems with DVD Studio Pro on Yosemite, but then they got help from Experts, and in the end, everything is properly installed .. you should be googling.

Install the drivers with kext Wizard or similar tool to /System/Library/Extensions/
then boot with the addition: GraphicsEnabler=NO

I hope that will succeed, no guarantee
About feedback I would be happy.

good luck!

HD6850_10.6.x.zip

• Like 1

Install the drivers with kext Wizard or similar tool to /System/Library/Extensions/

then boot with the addition: GraphicsEnabler=NO

I hope that will succeed, no guarantee

About feedback I would be happy.

good luck!

One more question. I have installed Clover bootloader but when I tried to boot Snow Leopard it says mach_kernel is missing. How to boot Snow Leopard (10.6) from Clover (latest).

Thanks again !

I am not a clover bootloadwr user, however, you should insert the mach_kernel into subfolders where the drivers are stored, so in /EFI/Clover/kexts/

I think that you have to add this bootflag: Withkexts

Please read the information in the clover wiki, not that I write here something wrong.

Just incredible ! Actually I gave up and never thought my graphics card will work on Snow Leopard.Finally you made it ! Yes it works but it only detects 256 MB with 1024 resolution. With GE=Yes I get same black screen. Also when I install Chameleon the Clover boot lost . But that is another problem. Is it possible to get full QE/CI ?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update : Today is the happiest day in my life and I got Snow leopard full working. After a week struggle finally the graphic card seems to be working fully. To all out there with Radeon HD cards if you want to get full QE/CE on snow leopard (10.6.7) refer this thread. I want to thank Andy for the installer package. Wonderful ! . Just delete all ATI kexts and install the below Andy ATI graphic installer and reboot.You will get Full QE/CE.

New package built and available here ATI Graphics Update to 10.6.7 package

You may get a slight speed increase but the dvd player and geekbench crashes are still present. I have a theory about this though - I think the new drivers try to dynamically build the framebuffer for the card it thinks it has detected - for most of our cards it's not detected correctly because as far as apple is concerned it doesnt exist. What I was trying to do earlier was merge valv's and kabyl's builds of chameleon (I need valvs for the sandybridge support and kabyls for the better ati.c) and add in the id's for 6870 and 6850 cards however there are more differences between the two branches than I could sort out (rank amateur that I am) and I couldn't get it to compile cleanly. I wanted to do this because we could then hopefully use the AtiConfig command to force a specific framebuffer. I'm probably way off target but hey got to be worth a shot right?

Thank you Spakk and Andy :)