How to rebuild my prelinked kernel after updating to El Capitan?

Romano2K

4 posts in this topic

Hello!

I've nearly managed to update my existing Yosemite installation to El Capitan. I've cloned my working Yosemite installation to another SSD, and then simply used the official El Capitan installer. It ran fine.

But then after the installation, I'm stuck during boot. There's no kernel panic, everything as usual, but one more line:

"considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired"

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/uploads/monthly_10_2015/post-29773-0-99547100-1443904660.jpg

I guess that I have to disable SIP and then rebuild the prelinked kernel, but I don't know how to do it. I can manipulate files from my working installation, but I don't know if single user works on the El Capitan installation.

Hello!

I've nearly managed to update my existing Yosemite installation to El Capitan. I've cloned my working Yosemite installation to another SSD, and then simply used the official El Capitan installer. It ran fine.

But then after the installation, I'm stuck during boot. There's no kernel panic, everything as usual, but one more line:

"considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired"

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/uploads/monthly_10_2015/post-29773-0-99547100-1443904660.jpg

I guess that I have to disable SIP and then rebuild the prelinked kernel, but I don't know how to do it. I can manipulate files from my working installation, but I don't know if single user works on the El Capitan installation.

check

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
 kextcache -system-cache

@Romano2K,

I don't see any reference to FakeSMC in your verbose boot.  Did you remember to use injected kexts with your boot loader or install FakeSMC in /Library/Extensions?

If the PLK in El Capitan is corrupt, you can rebuild it easily from Yosemite....

Procedure

1. Boot into Yosemite with kext-dev-mode=1

2. Open terminal and type the following lines, followed by <Enter>. My El Capitan volume is named "El_Cap", so change if yours is named something else...

sudo -s
rm -f /Volumes/El_Cap/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
touch /Volumes/El_Cap/System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -u /Volumes/El_Cap
exit

3. Reboot into El Capitan :).

• Like 1

Hello!

check

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kextcache -system-cache

Thank you for your answer. It would have been better if you had told me where to type them: from a single user command line? From Yosemite?

____

@Romano2K,

I don't see any reference to FakeSMC in your verbose boot.  Did you remember to use injected kexts with your boot loader or install FakeSMC in /Library/Extensions?

You're damn right! I should have seen that there was no "DSMOS arrived" as always.

I made a "simple" mistake: I forgot to copy /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/* kexts to 10.11! So Clover wasn't injecting anything.

If the PLK in El Capitan is corrupt, you can rebuild it easily from Yosemite....

Procedure

1. Boot into Yosemite with kext-dev-mode=1

2. Open terminal and type the following lines, followed by <Enter>. My El Capitan volume is named "El_Cap", so change if yours is named something else...

sudo -s
rm -f /Volumes/El_Cap/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
touch /Volumes/El_Cap/System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -u /Volumes/El_Cap
exit
3. Reboot into El Capitan :).

I did this anyway, and after a reboot, the installation process went to the end and I got the login window. I'm answering from El Capitan, everything seems to work fine.

Thank you very much!