Migrating Motherboards from H87 to Z97 Question

arthurlockman

11 posts in this topic

I built my hack Calculon using a Gigabyte H87M-D3H motherboard. It was cheap at the time and it seems to work fine. I'm looking to switch now that I've got more money to using an Asus Z97M-Plus instead. The Gigabyte one while functional is lacking a bunch of features (mainly proper fan control in the BIOS, and a strange squealing noise on network activity that Gigabyte assures me is normal) that makes me want to switch off of using it.

My question is, how can I go about making that switch without completely reinstalling my OS? It seems that theoretically I should just be able to go and remove the old kernel modules after booting on the new mobo in safe mode and install the proper ones or something like that. Does anyone have any experience with this who could help guide me?

It is not that easy, I don't know you have clover or not. asus board doesn't like chameleon. It was back then I don't know anything about clover, I got a Asus board(87 series) and chameleon can't boot it.

So I think you would install new osx also for the switching, but good luck.

Install with clover is easy and fun.

It is not that easy, I don't know you have clover or not. asus board doesn't like chameleon. It was back then I don't know anything about clover, I got a Asus board(87 series) and chameleon can't boot it.

So I think you would install new osx also for the switching, but good luck.

Install with clover is easy and fun.

I am using Clover actually. I forgot to mention that in the original post. Would it be any easier assuming I'm using Clover?

I built my hack Calculon using a Gigabyte H87M-D3H motherboard. It was cheap at the time and it seems to work fine. I'm looking to switch now that I've got more money to using an Asus Z97M-Plus instead. The Gigabyte one while functional is lacking a bunch of features (mainly proper fan control in the BIOS, and a strange squealing noise on network activity that Gigabyte assures me is normal) that makes me want to switch off of using it.

My question is, how can I go about making that switch without completely reinstalling my OS? It seems that theoretically I should just be able to go and remove the old kernel modules after booting on the new mobo in safe mode and install the proper ones or something like that. Does anyone have any experience with this who could help guide me?

Should not have to worry really I still have the same install from 2008 when I first started this idea. It has survived numerous machine/OS upgrades from the P35/Leopard I started with to the z87/Mavericks I have now. Basically what I do is clone to another HD (usually USB drive) for new machine install the needed files for it to boot then once booted on new machine the .kext needed for that new board are installed once I confirm everything is working properly clone the USB to internal drive and carry on using new machine.

Now since you only mention MB I am thinking you are not going totally new machine like I do most times but it is the same idea that you can use. Just clone to whatever you have laying around get it booted with plain clover then do the modifications needed to get it fully working once done clone back to your original drive and that should be it. The .kext that were used on the old install will not load on the new hardware if the devices are different if they are the same devices that is one less step for you to do for that device as they will just continue to load. OSX does not care what machine it is booted on as long as it is tricked into seeing a Mac device for PC hardware your good to go.

Edit: March of 2008 apparently is when this install started out according to the Public folder I have obviously never accessed all this time.

MacUser2525:~$ ls -l
total 40
drwxr-xr-x+  3 MacUser2525  admin   102B 20 Dec 01:35 Applications/
drwxr-xr-x+ 40 MacUser2525  admin   1.3K 21 Dec 21:15 Bin/
drwx------+  4 MacUser2525  admin   136B 10 Nov 01:25 Desktop/
drwxr-xr-x   7 MacUser2525  admin   238B 27 Nov 20:48 Developer/
drwx------+ 61 MacUser2525  admin   2.0K  4 Mar  2014 Documents/
drwx------+  5 MacUser2525  admin   170B 21 Sep 20:04 Downloads/
drwx------+ 75 MacUser2525  admin   2.5K 29 Nov 16:31 Library/
drwx------+ 10 MacUser2525  admin   340B 21 Oct 14:54 Movies/
drwx------+  5 MacUser2525  admin   170B  5 Oct 09:44 Music/
drwx------+ 12 MacUser2525  admin   408B  8 Dec 21:43 Pictures/
drwxr-x---+  6 MacUser2525  admin   204B 26 Mar  2008 Public/
drwxr-xr-x+  8 MacUser2525  admin   272B 11 Oct  2013 Sites/
-rw-r--r--@  1 MacUser2525  admin   2.7K 23 Nov 12:08 accounts.gpg
-rw-r--r--   1 MacUser2525  admin   2.0K  9 Nov 19:43 acpiTableExtract.zip
-rw-r--r--   1 MacUser2525  admin   908B 18 Aug 23:36 derby.log
-rw-------   1 MacUser2525  admin   1.3K  3 Oct 21:31 mbox
-rw-r--r--@  1 MacUser2525  admin   1.1K  2 Jul  2013 passwords.gpg

Should not have to worry really I still have the same install from 2008 when I first started this idea. It has survived numerous machine/OS upgrades from the P35/Leopard I started with to the z87/Mavericks I have now. Basically what I do is clone to another HD (usually USB drive) for new machine install the needed files for it to boot then once booted on new machine the .kext needed for that new board are installed once I confirm everything is working properly clone the USB to internal drive and carry on using new machine.

Now since you only mention MB I am thinking you are not going totally new machine like I do most times but it is the same idea that you can use. Just clone to whatever you have laying around get it booted with plain clover then do the modifications needed to get it fully working once done clone back to your original drive and that should be it. The .kext that were used on the old install will not load on the new hardware if the devices are different if they are the same devices that is one less step for you to do for that device as they will just continue to load. OSX does not care what machine it is booted on as long as it is tricked into seeing a Mac device for PC hardware your good to go.

Edit: March of 2008 apparently is when this install started out according to the Public folder I have obviously never accessed all this time.

MacUser2525:~$ ls -l
total 40
drwxr-xr-x+  3 MacUser2525  admin   102B 20 Dec 01:35 Applications/
drwxr-xr-x+ 40 MacUser2525  admin   1.3K 21 Dec 21:15 Bin/
drwx------+  4 MacUser2525  admin   136B 10 Nov 01:25 Desktop/
drwxr-xr-x   7 MacUser2525  admin   238B 27 Nov 20:48 Developer/
drwx------+ 61 MacUser2525  admin   2.0K  4 Mar  2014 Documents/
drwx------+  5 MacUser2525  admin   170B 21 Sep 20:04 Downloads/
drwx------+ 75 MacUser2525  admin   2.5K 29 Nov 16:31 Library/
drwx------+ 10 MacUser2525  admin   340B 21 Oct 14:54 Movies/
drwx------+  5 MacUser2525  admin   170B  5 Oct 09:44 Music/
drwx------+ 12 MacUser2525  admin   408B  8 Dec 21:43 Pictures/
drwxr-x---+  6 MacUser2525  admin   204B 26 Mar  2008 Public/
drwxr-xr-x+  8 MacUser2525  admin   272B 11 Oct  2013 Sites/
-rw-r--r--@  1 MacUser2525  admin   2.7K 23 Nov 12:08 accounts.gpg
-rw-r--r--   1 MacUser2525  admin   2.0K  9 Nov 19:43 acpiTableExtract.zip
-rw-r--r--   1 MacUser2525  admin   908B 18 Aug 23:36 derby.log
-rw-------   1 MacUser2525  admin   1.3K  3 Oct 21:31 mbox
-rw-r--r--@  1 MacUser2525  admin   1.1K  2 Jul  2013 passwords.gpg

Awesome, thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm just doing the motherboard because I built the machine last summer, and really that's the only part that isn't up to snuff in terms of what I want it to do. I probably should've shopped around when I bought my current board, but that's done now anyway. 

Mainly I was afraid that it would take a lot more than just swapping out kexts and changing some settings to get it migrated without a new install. The fact that you've done it without trouble is awesome to hear. I guess I'll order up that board and get it installed this weekend.  :)

Awesome, thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm just doing the motherboard because I built the machine last summer, and really that's the only part that isn't up to snuff in terms of what I want it to do. I probably should've shopped around when I bought my current board, but that's done now anyway. 

Mainly I was afraid that it would take a lot more than just swapping out kexts and changing some settings to get it migrated without a new install. The fact that you've done it without trouble is awesome to hear. I guess I'll order up that board and get it installed this weekend.  :)

That is all it takes just some tinkering around the edges with supported hardware and from a quick search it looks like there should not be much trouble according to the tony mac first couple of hits. Although looks like the nvram is locked on them asus boards you may want to try gigabyte again they usually have unlocked ones which are better for power management.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Z97M-PLUS+hackintosh&btnG=Search&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr

Edit: Now I have just thought about it seeing as your only complaint really seems to be networking noise you may want to try one of these, much cheaper than new motherboard.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0J2-001S-00071

That is all it takes just some tinkering around the edges with supported hardware and from a quick search it looks like there should not be much trouble according to the tony mac first couple of hits. Although looks like the nvram is locked on them asus boards you may want to try gigabyte again they usually have unlocked ones which are better for power management.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Z97M-PLUS+hackintosh&btnG=Search&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr

Edit: Now I have just thought about it seeing as your only complaint really seems to be networking noise you may want to try one of these, much cheaper than new motherboard.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0J2-001S-00071

My complaint is network noise and the fact that this motherboard I have can't control my fans. This one only works for PWM fans and not voltage controlled ones, so basically my fans are just on all the time. The only one that has some level of control is my CPU fan because it happens to be PWM, but all others are voltage only. I'd like to be able to only have them really spin up when the computer is under load, but with my current board I can't do that.

The Asus board has all of that control based on temperature baked into the BIOS. That's the biggest selling point of it for me. Also I did some searches of a bunch of different forums and it looks like the newer Asus boards aren't locked anymore - that only seems to have applied to the Z87/H87 ones. 

My complaint is network noise and the fact that this motherboard I have can't control my fans. This one only works for PWM fans and not voltage controlled ones, so basically my fans are just on all the time. The only one that has some level of control is my CPU fan because it happens to be PWM, but all others are voltage only. I'd like to be able to only have them really spin up when the computer is under load, but with my current board I can't do that.

The Asus board has all of that control based on temperature baked into the BIOS. That's the biggest selling point of it for me. Also I did some searches of a bunch of different forums and it looks like the newer Asus boards aren't locked anymore - that only seems to have applied to the Z87/H87 ones. 

Well fans controllers that go into the useless two or three extra 5.25" slots in a case are $20 or so too that can be another thing to try. It is your time and money involved so do what you think is best.

Well fans controllers that go into the useless two or three extra 5.25" slots in a case are $20 or so too that can be another thing to try. It is your time and money involved so do what you think is best.

True, a fan controller would work. Only trouble is I have a Corsair Air 240 case, which doesn't have any 5.25" bays.

I think I'll order the motherboard. It'll take care of all of the problems that I'm having and since I have some gift cards it won't be terribly expensive. My main concern was how hard it would be to migrate my system and since it's essentially trivial I might as well just do it. Thanks for your help!

True, a fan controller would work. Only trouble is I have a Corsair Air 240 case, which doesn't have any 5.25" bays.

I think I'll order the motherboard. It'll take care of all of the problems that I'm having and since I have some gift cards it won't be terribly expensive. My main concern was how hard it would be to migrate my system and since it's essentially trivial I might as well just do it. Thanks for your help!

Your welcome and that makes sense to me now.