Yosemite GTX 9xx/750/750 ti Compatibility Report

jamiethemorris

146 posts in this topic

Using the nvcap with clover results in insta reboot.

Also, using the iographicsfamily patches results in glitching the f*** out lol. I haven't tried them individually. I have no idea what they do except that on my vivobook they minimize graphics glitches.

Just for reference - The NVCAP from IOReg:

050000000000FFFFFFFF00000000000E00000000

NVCAP from GPU-Z:

040000000000EB00000000000000000700000000

Same NVCAP; all ports work, EVGA GTX 750 (HDMI/DVI/DP).

Interesting... NVCAP is pretty mysterious to me and most of the info on it is pretty old. Shouldn't cards with different ports have a different NVCAP though? Mine is DVI/HDMI/DP/DP/DP. I also don't really understand why Windows would report a different value. To be honest I truly have no idea what it is other than something to do with the video ports.

Shouldn't cards with different ports have a different NVCAP though?

Yes. NVCAP is a Nvidia proprietary runtime algorithm that configures framebuffers for each video connector on the graphics card.  Nvidia NVCAP is superior to AMD and Intel framebuffer solutions.  A request; attach your 980 IOReg.

Yes. NVCAP is a Nvidia proprietary runtime algorithm that configures framebuffers for each video connector on the graphics card.  Nvidia NVCAP is superior to AMD and Intel framebuffer solutions.  A request; attach your 980 IOReg.

Thanks toleda, here it is. 

Jamie’s Mac Pro.zip

Turns out even using the default NVCAP from IOReg in Clover's config.plist causes a reboot. Going to try DSDT injection.

UPDATE: DSDT injection results in the same black screen. If I remove the NVCAP part from the DSDT, it works fine... I can verify this because it's showing GFX1 in ioreg as I named it (for some reason it doesn't pick up the model name though - weird). So either I'm doing something wrong or these cards don't like the NVCAP being changed. I am attaching the DSDT for reference.

DSDT_980.aml.zip

Has anyone had any progress with 9xx cards?  I have an EVGA GTX 980 Classified heavily overclocked on water cooling.  I can hit nearly 4K points in Win 7 on the Luxmark Sala scene but I get only 3100 in OS X.  Cinebench is between 100 and 110 fps depending on when I run it.  The Cinebench is comparable with a stock GTX 980, but I am at 1633mhz core / 8320 mem.  I am running 10.10.1 with the newest f03 nVidia drivers that were released today.  I am fairly certain it is just poor driver optimization, but I figured I would see if anyone knows anything else holding the card back.  I have confirmed the card is running at PCIe 3 x16.  FWIW, I run an 4790K @ 4.7 on a Gigabyte Z87 OC-Force. My bootloader is Clover 3050.  Injection creates a boot loop.  I haven't tried with NVCAP yet.  

Pretty sure it's poor driver optimization as you said, I only get about 73 or so fps in cinebench in OS X whereas I get over 100 in Windows. I think the card also might not be running at it's maximum frequency. Sounds like you got a good chip btw.... I always seem to lose the silicon lottery. I can barely OC my card over 100 mhz core without getting crashes, even if I use max voltage and power. Either that or I just don't know what I'm doing.

Has anyone tried removing AGPM or AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient?  Those were tricks to get the R9 and 7xxx series running at full performance in real Macs.

I have not tried this. However I did try using it with the MacPro3,1 SMBios, which doesn't load AGPM and it didn't make any difference. What would AICPM have to do with it? 

I have not tried this. However I did try using it with the MacPro3,1 SMBios, which doesn't load AGPM and it didn't make any difference. What would AICPM have to do with it? 

I honestly don't have a clue, I just know that Netkas discovered that removing those kexts on real Macs allowed the R9 and 7xxx series AMD graphics cards perform properly.  They were stunted with them.  - http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8206.0.html

I honestly don't have a clue, I just know that Netkas discovered that removing those kexts on real Macs allowed the R9 and 7xxx series AMD graphics cards perform properly.  They were stunted with them.  - http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8206.0.html

Knowing netkas, he will be the one to discover a workaround for Maxwell cards as well...

jason, have you tried changing the NVCAP at all? I doubt it would solve the performance issue but I was hoping to get the HDMI port working. For me it boot loops. Also, are you getting random crashes back to the login screen followed by "graphics problem was detected" messages?

jason, have you tried changing the NVCAP at all? I doubt it would solve the performance issue but I was hoping to get the HDMI port working. For me it boot loops. Also, are you getting random crashes back to the login screen followed by "graphics problem was detected" messages?

I tried injection without NVCAP and I have placed NVCAP in my Clover Configurator without injection.  I haven't yet tried NVCAP listed with injection (didn't feel like boot looping again).  The Classy has a different port layout from other 980's.  Its ports are like the 780 Ti design with one display port, one hdmi, and two dvi.  I am running one monitor on a display port to hdmi adapter and another on hdmi.  Both seem to work just fine.  I have never received the "graphics problem detected" messages.

In all my card is solid without errors or other issues.  It seems 100% functional... it just isn't performing at 100% when compared to Windows.  Last night I ran Heaven in Win and OS X.  I received around 1400 in OS X and over 2050 in Win.  For reference... http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/unigine-heaven-4-0-benchmark-scores.198888/ (my Win7 Heaven benchmark would be #1 on that list but OS X isn't remarkable)

I tried injection without NVCAP and I have placed NVCAP in my Clover Configurator without injection.  I haven't yet tried NVCAP listed with injection (didn't feel like boot looping again).  The Classy has a different port layout from other 980's.  Its ports are like the 780 Ti design with one display port, one hdmi, and two dvi.  I am running one monitor on a display port to hdmi adapter and another on hdmi.  Both seem to work just fine.  I have never received the "graphics problem detected" messages.

In all my card is solid without errors or other issues.  It seems 100% functional... it just isn't performing at 100% when compared to Windows.  Last night I ran Heaven in Win and OS X.  I received around 1400 in OS X and over 2050 in Win.  For reference... http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/unigine-heaven-4-0-benchmark-scores.198888/ (my Win7 Heaven benchmark would be #1 on that list but OS X isn't remarkable)

What does ioreg say for your NVCAP?

NVCAP Maker = 040000000000eb00000000000000000700000000

IOREG = 050000000000ffffffff00000000000e00000000

EDIT: These match the values you posted.

interesting. What's also interesting is I don't get a boot loop when I turn on nvidia injection, but I do get a boot loop when I inject nvcap.

interesting. What's also interesting is I don't get a boot loop when I turn on nvidia injection, but I do get a boot loop when I inject nvcap.

Black screens without any output when I inject NVCAP.  IIRC same when I injected.  I may not have actually reset / looped.  Either way, injection with our without NVCAP does not work.  I question our NVCAPS and the output of both IOREG and NVCAP maker.  Our cards have different display configurations but the same values.

Black screens without any output when I inject NVCAP.  IIRC same when I injected.  I may not have actually reset / looped.  Either way, injection with our without NVCAP does not work.  I question our NVCAPS and the output of both IOREG and NVCAP maker.  Our cards have different display configurations but the same values.

My thoughts exactly... As you saw above, Toleda's NVCAP is reported exactly the same as well in IOReg but he has a 750.

Is there anyone who tried or successfully enabled HDMI audio output on GTX 9xx cards?

I tried to edit DSDT and modified both AppleHDA binary and AppleHDAController binary file; and I failed to enable HDMI audio output on my 970.

My procedures are

1)  add Device (HDAU)

2)  add hda-gfx in Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) of Device (PEGP)

3)  set onboard-1

4)  replace codec id in AppleHDA binary with mine

5)  replace hdmi device id in AppleHDAController binary with mine

P.S

I replaced native Nvidia codec id in AppleHDA binary with mine which is 0x10de0071.

Also I replaced native Nvidia HDMI device id in AppleHDAController with mine which is 0x10de0fbb

These are the Nvidia HDMI device id I found in AppleHDAController binary file. (I'm not sure.)

The 1st 2nd 3rd 9th id are also found in the Lion HDMI Audio topic.

AppleHDAController - binary
Supported Nvidia Discrete Card HDMI Device ID

// 2 places

de 10 c0 0a -> 0x 10 de 0a c0
de 10 94 0d -> 0x 10 de 0d 94
de 10 e2 0b -> 0x 10 de 0b e2
de 10 e3 0b -> 0x 10 de 0b e3  // new??
de 10 e4 0b -> 0x 10 de 0b e4  // new??
de 10 e5 0b -> 0x 10 de 0b e5  // new??
de 10 eb 0b -> 0x 10 de 0b eb  // new??
de 10 e9 0b -> 0x 10 de 0b e9  // new??
de 10 ea 0b -> 0x 10 de 0b ea 
de 10 09 0e -> 0x 10 de 0e 09  // new??
de 10 ee 0b -> 0x 10 de 0b ee  // new??
de 10 08 0e -> 0e 10 de 0e 08  // new??

Also I found 4 codec ids in AppleHDA binary file, which are totally different from the previous id provided in Lion HDMI Audio topic.

(Maybe I was wrong and these are not codec ids)

AppleHDA - binary
Supported Nvidia Discrete Card Codec ID

06 00 de 10
3f 00 de 10 
00 00 de 10 ??
89 84 de 10 ??

• Like 1

Is there anyone who tried or successfully enabled HDMI audio output on GTX 9xx cards?

Nvidia HDMI audio is broken with 343.02.01f01, use 343.01.02f01 or older.

No kext edits are required for Maxwell HDMI audio.

Correct dsdt edits are required, attach edited dsdt.

• Like 1

Nvidia HDMI audio is broken with 343.02.01f01, use 343.01.02f01 or older.

No kext edits are required for Maxwell HDMI audio.

Correct dsdt edits are required, attach edited dsdt.

Yes, I installed 343.01.02f01 and HDMI audio output now works. :) Thanks for your reply. :D