• Knoppix
    • MEPIS Linux
    • Xandros Desktop
    • FreeBSD
    • Other

235 posts in this topic

• 3 months later...
Ubuntu all the way! :D

I gave Ubuntu yet another chance, yesterday.

Not only I can't configure it the way I like (as I would easily do in Debian), but Firefox crashed every time after seconds (segmentation fault).

I have never found such a serious bug in any major Linux distro: you can't surf with the default browser :(

I'm trying to decide which Linux to put on my Mactel. I'm curious as to which Linux is the best and why. Vote for your favorite and please post why (If you voted "Other," post what it is!). Thanks for your help!

Linux ultimate edition 2.7 :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am using Ubuntu Studio 10.04 because it is so well set up for audio/graphics/video work..........but with Open Office 3.2 and RadioTray also installed......BTW FireFox works 100% too........ :) For more Ubuntu 10.04 tweaks see here..........

It's a pity that I can't vote again :( . I have currently fallen for this Gentoo and it's portage scheme. Compiling every package to extract the max performance from your PC and customising your Linux just for your system... it's so much your own Linux ...

• 3 months later...

I am really enjoying using Pinguy OS 10.10.1 (64 bit) at present because to me it has an OS X feel about the Desktop and accessibility of features.........

It's a pity that I can't vote again :(

Well, this topic is over 5 years old. It certainly doesn't fully reflect today's tendencies. For instance Xandros is dead and PCLinuxOS isn't even mentioned. We could close/hide it and start again. What does everybody think?

Well, this topic is over 5 years old. It certainly doesn't fully reflect today's tendencies. For instance Xandros is dead and PCLinuxOS isn't even mentioned. We could close/hide it and start again. What does everybody think?

Good idea..... :(

• Like 1