shutdown troubles - reboots instead

sailor25462

122 posts in this topic

On Yosemite C3 I was having this shutdown issue, system was restarting instead of shutting down, finally solved it, in my case it was 'RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext' in 'Clover/kexts/10.10', I was using old version of this kext, after updating this shutdown issue solved, now system restart and shutdown properly.

Congrats. Really glad you figured it out in your case. In my case though (and I think sailor's too) there is no such driver in kexts. And the issue is still there. But it might be useful for anyone else in the same situation. So thanks for sharing. :)

Congrats. Really glad you figured it out in your case. In my case though (and I think sailor's too) there is no such driver in kexts. And the issue is still there. But it might be useful for anyone else in the same situation. So thanks for sharing. :)

Have you already tried removing driver kext (Wi-Fi, Sound, Video etc) one by one from Clover/kext or S/L/E? In config.plist I deleted every thing except 3 keys, 'DefaultVolume', 'Timeout' and 'InjectKexts', may be something in config causing this, try cleaning it, good luck :)

Have you already tried removing driver kext (Wi-Fi, Sound, Video etc) one by one from Clover/kext or S/L/E? In config.plist I deleted every thing except 3 keys, 'DefaultVolume', 'Timeout' and 'InjectKexts', may be something in config causing this, try cleaning it, good luck :)

Thanks. I'll take another look at it. :)

• Like 1

I'll try it on one my boys' hacks. They run mav on chameleon. I'll update it and see what happens.

When I updated my box from chameleon to clover, I didn't have to do a fresh install though.

What really sucks with chameleon is the audio kext. And of course with clover it's easier to get iMessage activated.

But for checking the reboot, it should be worth a try.

Btw, which CMOS related fixes did you apply yet?

OK. It's conclusion time. So here it comes. 

I check Inject Nvidia and nothing else -> computer shuts down perfectly. Every time.

I uncheck that too, or Inject Intel (seems that nothing checked = Inject Intel anyway, since probably that's the default behavior) -> computer reboots instead of shutting down.

Doesn't matter if you've got apps running in the background. Doesn't matter which apps they are. I left all my apps opened (just minimized) and shut down my computer. Result: perfect shutdown.

So if you've got the same behavior, I say we wrap this up and go tell the Clover devs about this so they can fix it. I'm tired of this.

Can you post your config, just in case? I want to make sure I'm really trying the same settings.

Also which uefi drivers do you include in the Efi? Yesterday I removed a few from which I thought they were not really necessary and messed up my boot :-)

It would also be great if you could add your preboot.log from clover (F2?)

I cross fingers that you found the "bug" :-)

Can you post your config, just in case? I want to make sure I'm really trying the same settings.

Also which uefi drivers do you include in the Efi? Yesterday I removed a few from which I thought they were not really necessary and messed up my boot :-)

It would also be great if you could add your preboot.log from clover (F2?)

I cross fingers that you found the "bug" :-)

I think this time we nailed it. :)) FINALLY! I was getting tired of this {censored}.

Basically, all you need to do is uncheck everything in Graphics and check only Inject Nvidia. That's all.

Anyway, Clover config.plist attached, preboot.log attached.

Drivers (though now I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with our issue here):

• DataHubDxe-64
  • EmuVariableUefi-64
  • OsxAptioFixDrv-64
  • PartitionDxe-64

Please, keep in mind that due to another Clover bug, you might not be able to boot Mavericks anymore if you check only Inject Nvidia. Also, keep in mind that the first time might not be a complete shutdown, since it will probably still be using the old configuration. I would suggest shutting it down forcefully, if that happens (just in case it might be "caching" anything on reboot). The next shutdown though should be ok.

I think our graphic cards are both officially supported so, in theory, we don't need to inject anything. But since default is Inject Intel and since apparently if you don't inject anything, it will still take the "inject Intel" behavior (since that's the default one), you won't be able to shutdown Yosemite properly, but you will be able to start up Mavericks properly. :))

So...in other words:

1. if you check Inject Nvidia, the following things will happen:

• You will be able to shut down Yosemite properly.
  • You won't be able to start up Mavericks (at least I wasn't able to).
  • Your graphics card will be properly recognized (minus the memory size, for some reason, unless you manually specify it in Clover config VRAM section) in the "About This Mac" menu (though I'm pretty sure that's something purely esthetic, so I wouldn't care much about that)

2. if you check only Inject Intel (or you don't inject anything, though I'm pretty sure it will inject Intel anyway), these things will happen:

• You won't be able to shut down Yosemite properly.
  • You will be able to start up Mavericks.
  • Your graphics card will be...not really properly recognized (though, again, this is more of an esthetic aspect rather than anything else).

Clover config & preboot log.zip

• Like 1

Good point, I really want to check it, but....

My problem is that as soon as I inject the nvidia, my primary screen on DVI turns black and only the VGA port is active.

My card is usually recognized properly, incl. ram size. It is shown correctly in the my apple screen.

My card is a GT640 with 3 ports, I.e. DVI, HDMI and VGA.

Basically I need to find a way to inject nvidia and - at the same time - instruct to choose the right port, namely DVI on which my Cinema Display is working.

Any ideas?

Good point, I really want to check it, but....

My problem is that as soon as I inject the nvidia, my primary screen on DVI turns black and only the VGA port is active.

My card is usually recognized properly, incl. ram size. It is shown correctly in the my apple screen.

My card is a GT640 with 3 ports, I.e. DVI, HDMI and VGA.

Basically I need to find a way to inject nvidia and - at the same time - instruct to choose the right port, namely DVI on which my Cinema Display is working.

Any ideas?

Mmmm...for the connectivity issues...no. But, if you've got a VGA cable laying around and you can use it to connect the monitor, I would say first things first. Lets see if the Nvidia injection actually fixes the reboot issue. This is what this thread is all about after all, right? So let's see if that's fixed. For the connectivity issues, there might be some dsdt tricks that can be done. Though, to be honest I have no idea how to implement them. But as I said, first things first.

As I said above, this "fix" is not the perfect choice for me either. Since, if I do this, I won't be able to boot into Mavericks. So...first let's see if it works with Inject Nvidia and the computer connected via VGA. If it does, each one of us will have to find a fix for the second issue (connectivity problem in your case, and Mavericks startup in mine). And..to be honest, given the situation, I wouldn't be surprised if your connectivity problem would also be caused by a Clover bug. 

Well, for the first two attempts I can say that it seems to work.

YAY! :D It will work for the rest of them, as well. :) I just tested this theory (which looks more and more like an actual fact) using my Yosemite USB to boot up (since I changed a few things in Clover config in an attempt - failed attempt - to get the loading bar back on the center of the screen, and I wasn't able to boot from the HDD anymore). And I forgot the fact that, I didn't make the change on the USB stick. So, after I fixed my HDD config, I tried to shut down the computer, and since, on my USB, there wasn't any injection set (which, as I said, it's similar to Inject Intel), it went into reboot instead. So it looks pretty clear to me that the issue is fixed if you select Inject Nvidia.

By the way, after that, I fixed my USB config as well (checked Inject Nvidia in clover config).

Well, let's be careful, you had some 9+ shutdowns made well before it switched back, right? :-)

Well, actually, no. I had around 20 shutdowns before I became an idiot and messed with graphics injection, having no idea that that's gonna make the computer reboot again.

So, I would say you're pretty much safe. But...you're free to play with it. Switch it on and off all you want. I can bet you're not gonna get another reboot as easily as before (unless that's what you want).

Still I need my DVI port back again :-)

I also wouldn't necessarily say this is a bug in clover.

It changed somewhere after or with the 2nd public beta, before that everything went pretty smooth.

As for the GT640, it was said they are natively supported, so maybe they have changed something there?

One thing I recon: when I inject nvidia, the name of the card is given as Palit GeForce GT 640.

Also - even I put it into the config - the ram size is zero.

I really need to look into this injection thing :-)

Still I need my DVI port back again :-)

I also wouldn't necessarily say this is a bug in clover.

It changed somewhere after or with the 2nd public beta, before that everything went pretty smooth.

As for the GT640, it was said they are natively supported, so maybe they have changed something there?

One thing I recon: when I inject nvidia, the name of the card is given as Palit GeForce GT 640.

Also - even I put it into the config - the ram size is zero.

I really need to look into this injection thing :-)

So, as I said, in order for the graphics card to be properly recognized, you need Inject Nvidia, and the VRAM (also in Graphics section of Clover Configurator) set to the actual memory size of the card (in MB). In my case, that's 2048 (aka 2GB).

And, with Inject Intel, it says Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2048MB (or something similar to that.) Whereas, with Inject Nvidia, it says MSi Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 (0 MB, by default, 2048 MB after I add that value in config). Between the two of them, the second one is more accurate. Since the chipset is indeed Nvidia, but the manufacturer of the card is MSi. So I found the second one more accurate.

Anyway, as I said, that's more of a cosmetic thing than anything else. It doesn't bother me either way. What does bother me is the reboot (with Inject Intel, or no inject at all) and the fact that I can't boot Mavericks with Inject Nvidia.

I honestly don't remember when exactly did this problem start. You might be right about it being half a Yosemite issue, and half a bug in Clover. Don't forget that Clover did get through a lot of modifications and versions since then. So it might be a little bit of both actually. But now, since Yosemite is out, for good, I would say it needs to be fixed. And I don't see Apple fixing this any time soon. :)) So, at least in my case, my best bet is to see if the Clover devs can fix it.

Now about your DVI port....there are some settings in Graphics, related to DVI (such as Dual Link). Problem is that I'm not sure which one does what since I'm not connected via DVI. My monitor is an old Samsung VGA one (still good though :))). So you might try switching between those options first. Also, you could also ask Clover devs (in the Clover thread) about this. Most of the people nowadays use DVI instead of VGA (I'm an exception :))). Point is that you would have a better chance getting it fixed or, at least, getting a better answer, over there.

So how about that shutdown? Still working? :P

ok, one last post for this thread:

For those who are having trouble with nvidia inject as I did with the GT 640, installing the nvidia web driver seems to help too, without need of inject.

After installing these drivers (boot with nv_disable=1 and install the drivers with pacifist if necessary) the shutdowns seem to work well again.

• Like 1

ok, one last post for this thread:

For those who are having trouble with nvidia inject as I did with the GT 640, installing the nvidia web driver seems to help too, without need of inject.

After installing these drivers (boot with nv_disable=1 and install the drivers with pacifist if necessary) the shutdowns seem to work well again.

Thanks, man. Saw your post on the other thread. I'll try to install Nvidia drivers and disable Inject Nvidia. See what happens...

Thanks, man. Saw your post on the other thread. I'll try to install Nvidia drivers and disable Inject Nvidia. See what happens...

It even seems that shutdown remains to work well if you switch back to the native drivers in the nvidia pref pane. I tried it once and worked out well.

It even seems that shutdown remains to work well if you switch back to the native drivers in the nvidia pref pane. I tried it once and worked out well.

Well that didn't do much good to me...

1. I couldn't find any drivers for either Mavericks or Yosemite. I installed CUDA drivers instead... Not sure that should make any difference.

2. checking nv_disable=1 did solve a few issues such as the shutdown issue and the fact that I no longer had the loading bar displayed at the bottom left side of the screen, but on the center, as it should. Still with no logo though...for some odd reason.

Problem is I had some pretty nasty artifacts with this configuration. Textures not loading properly. Odd image refreshes. Squashed fonts... Not a good experience at all.

As you already know, in my particular case, this only affects my ability to boot into Mavericks. On Yosemite, I have no issues with inject Nvidia. But I do have if I don't inject anything (i get into the old reboot issue).

So I think I'm gonna stick with the Inject Nvidia thing for a while...

lol with nv_disable=1 you basically also switched of acceleration :-) That's why your graphics do funny stuff slowly.

The cuda driver has nothing to do with it, though. Nice to have if you use cuda enabled software.

It's a bit tricky to find the nvidia driver on their web site. Go through the forms provided, but switch to BETA drivers when possible. Select Geforce 600 series, GTX 680 and select your language. For this you will find the Yosemite entry in the OS selection field. (one of the very few).

Download it or try http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us

(you can change the language in the url too)

QUADRO & GEFORCE MAC OS X DRIVER RELEASE 343.01.01

Version: 343.01 Release Date: 2014.10.18 Operating System: Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.0 Language: English (US) File Size: 50.00 MB

lol with nv_disable=1 you basically also switched of acceleration :-) That's why your graphics do funny stuff slowly.

The cuda driver has nothing to do with it, though. Nice to have if you use cuda enabled software.

It's a bit tricky to find the nvidia driver on their web site. Go through the forms provided, but switch to BETA drivers when possible. Select Geforce 600 series, GTX 680 and select your language. For this you will find the Yosemite entry in the OS selection field. (one of the very few).

Download it or try http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us

(you can change the language in the url too)

QUADRO & GEFORCE MAC OS X DRIVER RELEASE 343.01.01

Version: 343.01 Release Date: 2014.10.18 Operating System: Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.0 Language: English (US) File Size: 50.00 MB

That build can't be installed... 

post-1303722-0-93886800-1413928690_thumb.png

This is why you need to boot with nv_disable=1 and possibly also need to run the package from within pacifist.

I had this too, finally works :-)

just boot with it or always keep it in config settings? Also, I should disable inject nvidia, right?

just boot once with nv_disable=1, so you can install the web driver. After that you need to activate the nv_drv=1 in the clover boot options (for ever, no matter which driver you select via nvidia pref panel)

And yes, you should disable the inject then. I also deselected fixdisplay.