(Solved) Networking Problem with 3Com Gigabit Lom

McSkywalker

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a little problem with networking under my Mac Os X86 installaton. I have searched through lots of networking topics, etc. and I've managed to download quite a few kext's, including tulip, and even an installer for 3com 9x series ethernet cards.

I've tried altering device ID's and vendor ID's in the kexts, etc. but unfortunately, none of them helped me to get my 3C940 built in ethernet card (the one that comes with Asus P4P800 motherboard) working.

At the moment, I'm using my USB ADSL modem - which is also has a router - as networking device, I can even use file sharing, but I'm stuck with 12 Mbps because of USB 1.1. I also have an iMac G3, that's the reason why I need to get my ethernet card working.

Any guidance could make my day, thanks in advance :)

Thanks for the reply, Ted Cox.

I'd like to think that someone must have been lucky enough to get it to work. It's quite a common card used in a lot of motherboards, so the chances are good, I suppose.

Since this is a specific 3C940 thread, I think owners of that card would better post here more, even if they do not have the exact solution. At least we can attract some attention, which will let the solution to be quicker.

I also personally think that enabling the gigabit ethernet capabilities of our home-made mac clones will be an extra advantage in convincing more people to become "switchers". Everyone has PC owning friends to show their mac clones, and the more widespread Mac OS becomes, the better computing world we will basically achieve.

So if someone has the answer, please share it with us. If there's a hardware, there must be a software to get it working in mac.

Thanks in advance, for all the replies. ;)

Wow! Thank you for the lightning-fast reply, Rammjet! ;)

IT'S WORKING! :D

And I didn't even have to restart! :D I just did "kextload" in the terminal, and there it is, even with the 1000 Mbps option! Great day, thank you again, Rammjet!

By the way, until now, I did all the tweaking and calibration without posting any questions, just using the search function as you've mentioned, but with this one, it started to give me the feeling of being cursed out of it. Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you! :( And thanks to m.musashi, of course.

This one was far quicker than I expected!

Hope this one (the header of this thread) helps people who couldn't find the original one just like me.

IT'S WORKING! :)

And I didn't even have to restart! :D I just did "kextload" in the terminal, and there it is, even with the 1000 Mbps option! Great day, thank you again, Rammjet!

By the way, until now, I did all the tweaking and calibration without posting any questions, just using the search function as you've mentioned, but with this one, it started to give me the feeling of being cursed out of it. Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you! :) And thanks to m.musashi, of course.

This one was far quicker than I expected!

Hope this one (the header of this thread) helps people who couldn't find the original one just like me.

I have 10.4.1 , will it work on that, I dont want to upgrade.

FAQ:

- OSX versions: 10.4.4 minimum

- supported cards: Marvell Gigabit Ethernet (88E8001), 3Com 3C940/3C940B, D-Link DGE-530T

- possible cards: Belkin F5D5005, Linksys EG1032 (please let me know if any of these work)

- yukon2 cards (88E8021,22,35,...) are not supported; they are covered by appleyukon.kext from OSX10.4.5 onwards - no they will never be supported by this driver as the original skge was written specifically for yukon1 cards; I will not write a yukon2 driver because I don't have a yukon2 card to test on

- 3COM 3C940 / ASUS P4P800 Deluxe: edit info.plist and replace 0x432011AB with 0x170010B7 before following installation instructions

- D-Link DGE-530T: edit info.plist with 0x4C001186

- Syskonnect SK 9521 V2.0: edit info.plist with 0x43201148

hi everybody

I been reading this forum for a week now and it is great. So this is my problem so far, the great OS X 10.4.7 is been instaled in my system now I have "PCintosh" lol. By the way I'm a PCThecnician with no programming skills at all so any help in detail will be appreciate. the install runs great I have to restart the system manually minor thing, system runs great under OS X 10.4.7 but no usb, sound and the most important no lan. the usb and sound I make it work thanks to this forum, the sound is crappy don't matter since I have MAudio 44 installed( Ididn't make it work yet ) but lan has been pain in my rear. Can anybody help me?

this is my System Specs. <http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=44&DetailName=Driver&DetailDesc=L4VXA2(V1.0A)&MenuID=35&LanID=9 >with DUAL boot XP PRO SP2 & OS X 10.4.7

INTEL P4 2.8 Gz SSE2

512 Mb DDR PC3200

pd; I have also a WMP54GX SRX didn't work too

and a GForce 5500 256 MB whish is killing my 19' LCD

thanks in advance

PROTEO X

Your link points to 2 different LAN cards. The Realtek 8139 should be supported by OSX. The VIA card, I doubt that there is support.

Go to Windows -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters and find the LAN card. Get Properties on it then click the Details tab and get the vendor id (4 characters after VEN) and teh device id (4 characters after DEV).

You typo'd: 1106:3065 VT6102 [Via Rhine-II]

Vendor 1160 is: 1160 Megasoft Inc

Situation not good.

Rhine II situation: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=2253

Rhine I might work: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=2253

Tell me about it

and yes I already tried this ViaRhine II it work for about 5 min and quit I tried diferents ways to make it work bad call i have to reinstall th OSX twice. Since I have the WMP54GX SRX can you help me to make it work?

I really appreciate you time

PRO X

You know the drill !

Sorry about that

:D, my bad, but there it is; < VEN_17CB&DEV_0001 >

Thank you

PRO_X

Pd; did you know something about this < VEN_10DE&DEV_0344 >

Is the NVidia GForce 5500 plug into my system, the OS X see this card as a VESA

card, I tried the McVidia drivers but crash the system

thank you again

PRO_X

there it is; < VEN_17CB&DEV_0001 >

17cb = Airgo Networks Inc

17cb:0001 AGN100 802.11 a/b/g True MIMO Wireless Card

There is no driver for Airgo on OSX.

< VEN_10DE&DEV_0344 > Is the NVidia GForce 5500 plug into my system, the OS X see this card as a VESA card, I tried the McVidia drivers but crash the system

10de = nVidia Corporation

10de:0344 NV36.4 [GeForce FX 5700VE]

If you can't get the Macvidia drivers working, then you are stuck running VESA. Macvidia doesn't support QE/CI, but gives you resolution control. With VESA, you have fewer available resolutions and have to enter one into the boot.plist.

:construction:I found in my closet a Realtek RTL 8139C Fast Ethernet PCI < VEN_10EC&DEV_8139 >, and you know what I found a driver in their's web site,

they call it < vxworks-8139(140) > but there is not installer can you help me to install this driver??. If i can't do it well

Next stop FRY'Z. This is what I'm gonna do, start from scrash, get my plist hardware and do it.

thanks a lot for your help RAMMJET you are the best.

PRO_X