ReadSMC for EFI, a tool to enter read SMC keys from EFI shell on real Macs

Andy Vandijck

73 posts in this topic

Try reinstalling yosemite or el Capitan and if you're lucky perhaps the correct SMC will be re-flashed.

Either that, or try running the smc update package from inside OSX, not using rEFIt.

Ok, which package should i use? I have macbook pro late 2011 (8,1) running mavericks 10.9.5 os x (i'm worried now to use the wrong one ..)

If i reinstall should i install it by  the apple store or by bootable usb? 

It would but I am not certain you can actually flash anything from the mode you are booted in. It's basically the only thing that might be able to help you but I don't know for sure whether you'll be able to flash it.

You sure it's late 2011 and not early 2011? (both are 8,1)

In that case you should try this one http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1474

About the reinstall... don't think it matters. Whatever is easier.

So i installed it and it didn't do anything .. 

There a 3 files .pk (macbookprosmcupdate.pkg, mbp15.pkg, mbp17.pkg) i used the 1st one but fans still running high speed

I have SMC: 1.62f7 for 8.1 late 2011 model

Did it install succesfully?

Try rebooting and see whether there's any change.

So basically the root of the problem is you force-flashed the early 2011 SMC instead of late 2011... try flashing the correct one (1.68f98 (SMC 1.5)) from rEFIt and see what happens.

Try without doing the reset first, though, as resetting the SMC in this state will most likely make the machine power off.

In that case try resetting the SMC, and pray for the macbook to not turn off when you do that. If it turns off, you're {censored}ed. The only way to fix it is by finding a way to manually reprogram the chip or replacing that chip altogether.

The problem is most likely you need to find a way to patch SmcFlasher to ignore the hardware verification routine... However, I do not know how to do that.

So, most likely you just killed your mac.

How its possible that i cant RE-flash the smc with a newer firmware?

i have 2 possibilities maybe?

- Change de chip

- Manually fix the smc with a buspirate  ( http://ho.ax/posts/2012/06/unbricking-a-macbook/ )

In both case i never did that, and i'm kind of geek not really a programmer or something ;) 

Changing the chip is much harder and would require you to buy the chip and hope it's properly programmed. The buspirate might work but I have no idea how to do it either. It's also possible to patch smcflasher but once again i don't know how. Some guys did it for a macpro but their walkthrough isn't really usable because their version of smcflasher was very very different.

Yeah, that's exactly the page I had found. However, I was comparing the binary they used (the original) and the one included in the MBP updates and they're completely different. So... I cannot really recommend you use it because I'm not sure it can handle your SMC. On the other hand... if you want to try it, it's probably the only alternative you've got left. (i.e. flashing your smc with that version of smcflasher)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lord Kamina,

I managed to fix the smc issue. I had the mbp 2010 smc installed on my late 2011 as mentioned above.

to fix it i took the smcflasher.efi from the mbp2010 bundle and the mbp13smc15.smc from the right bundle (bundle of the late 2011) and simply force the flash with -reset 1 then force - LoadApp - norestart.

And it worked, i booted with the right firmware (1.68f98) with low fans and no more kernel_task.

I also removed the battery (only with magsafe now), genius bar told me that i might be the problem sometimes ..

Hope you can fix yours with this method :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lord Kamina,

I managed to fix the smc issue. I had the mbp 2010 smc installed on my late 2011 as mentioned above.

to fix it i took the smcflasher.efi from the mbp2010 bundle and the mbp13smc15.smc from the right bundle (bundle of the late 2011) and simply force the flash with -reset 1 then force - LoadApp - norestart.

And it worked, i booted with the right firmware (1.68f98) with low fans and no more kernel_task.

I also removed the battery (only with magsafe now), genius bar told me that i might be the problem sometimes ..

Hope you can fix yours with this method :)

Thank you for posting the fix. Have you seen any other issues since flashing the correct firmware?