• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

WarDoctor

WarDoctor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Found in some review of 290X cards: "It should be noted that Sapphire has implemented DUAL BIOS on the Tri-X models, ensuring that the card boots and delivers maximum performance in systems with both UEFI and legacy BIOS implementations". Did anyone try the second bios setting on a Sapphire Tri-X card?

i have just tried that uefi bios with no avail good sir still os x does not have a working 290x but the flashed worked perfectly now my card has a extra 10% speed boost 

randallphoto

randallphoto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

i have just tried that uefi bios with no avail good sir still os x does not have a working 290x but the flashed worked perfectly now my card has a extra 10% speed boost 

Where did you get the UEFI Bios from? And which 290x do you have? I've been looking all over for one, and Sapphire support is a total joke to get anything from.

Only one I found with UEFI support was a gigabyte one, but my computer wouldn't boot with that rom.

WarDoctor

WarDoctor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Where did you get the UEFI Bios from? And which 290x do you have? I've been looking all over for one, and Sapphire support is a total joke to get anything from.

Only one I found with UEFI support was a gigabyte one, but my computer wouldn't boot with that rom.

http://www.techpower...-r9-290-oc.html

i got it from a gpu rom data base

http://www.techpower...mType=&memSize=

JasonHUN

JasonHUN

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

http://www.techpower...-r9-290-oc.html

i got it from a gpu rom data base

http://www.techpower...mType=&memSize=

You need a official OS X driver for R290X!
And some hack with card...

WarDoctor

WarDoctor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

You need a official OS X driver for R290X!
And some hack with card...

Great news after trolling the net for drivers and bios's i found one that shows as 290 in clover and working to make it fully work http://i.imgur.com/tuE6IhB.jpg

randallphoto

randallphoto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Great news after trolling the net for drivers and bios's i found one that shows as 290 in clover and working to make it fully work http://i.imgur.com/tuE6IhB.jpg

I think that's just injecting the device name, but not actually giving QE/CI and hardware acceleration. Notice the 7Mb framebuffer size

WarDoctor

WarDoctor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I think that's just injecting the device name, but not actually giving QE/CI and hardware acceleration. Notice the 7Mb framebuffer size

ya i see it did you see where i said make it FULLY WORK lol wasnt hard to miss i hope and the issue with the 290x somewhere in mac's little brain it's seen as a 7600m because of the device id so when i flashed my 290x to a 290 it was seen as the right card kind of which is better then no name at all oh well back to the drawing board at least this is fun 

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,950 posts
Please post a ioreg because you can make anything show up as a name. Without a ioreg there is no validation. Also the 7600 it not the same core so it can not show up as one.

WarDoctor

WarDoctor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

i am getting a w9100 bios set to me and will flash my 290x to that bios in hopes it will work and if not then i will at least have some workstation features since the 290x and the w9100 are dead on spec wise besides the 16gb's of vram amd should be sending it on Tuesday 

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,805 posts

Good luck!

benjyyyy

benjyyyy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I have a gigabyte R9 290, Wardoctor would you be able to share the BIOS you used to make everything fully work? Was there any additional setup to do in Clover or was it just working straight away?

WarDoctor

WarDoctor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I have a gigabyte R9 290, Wardoctor would you be able to share the BIOS you used to make everything fully work? Was there any additional setup to do in Clover or was it just working straight away?

try the newest clover it no longer sees a 290x as a 7600m just inject ati but amd wont email me back about the bios i need and still waiting on sapphire i am about to just buy a firerpo w9100 and take the bios then return it but 10.10 is out today so let's hope for the best 

WarDoctor

WarDoctor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kisnqs

randallphoto

randallphoto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

You should package those up and send em over ;) haha. Does hardware acceleration work well?

WarDoctor

WarDoctor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

i will send em now

You should package those up and send em over ;) haha. Does hardware acceleration work well?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7981dt

stingray_454

stingray_454

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

The big question is if hardware acceleration works? QE/CI? It's one thing to show up in the system info, and another to have working acceleration :). Anyway, appreciate the effort, keep us posted.

WarDoctor

WarDoctor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

The big question is if hardware acceleration works? QE/CI? It's one thing to show up in the system info, and another to have working acceleration :). Anyway, appreciate the effort, keep us posted.

these are 10.10 drivers they don't fully work on 10.9 but hopefully will in 10.10 we will find out tomorrow

randallphoto

randallphoto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

I can confirm that it does detect it using those kexts. And it defaulted to the correct 2560x1440 resolution for my cinema display, but there is no QE/CI yet. This is a big step in the right direction though! If these drivers are in 10.10 beta, there's a chance they'll be in the 10.9.4 release :)

Attached Files

benjyyyy

benjyyyy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Sorry excuse my lack of understanding. Are these kexts for the 290x or the 290? 

Are you saying that what I need to do to get my r9 290 (NOT the x version) working (albeit as an 8 series card) is to get the latest clover and install the kexts you linked above? And those kexts will give me QE/CI as well?

randallphoto

randallphoto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Netkas is saying that the 290x works out of box in 10.10 with QE/CI. Might have to try this out tonight.

Sorry excuse my lack of understanding. Are these kexts for the 290x or the 290? 

Are you saying that what I need to do to get my r9 290 (NOT the x version) working (albeit as an 8 series card) is to get the latest clover and install the kexts you linked above? And those kexts will give me QE/CI as well?

From what I've read only the 290x is recognized, you may have to inject device-ID's to get it to recognize the 290. But under Mavericks you will NOT have QE/CI yet with those kexts. It will show more properly and have the correct resolution, but no hardware acceleration.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy