R9 290X Help for mavericks

TechGuru

473 posts in this topic

I have a gigabyte R9 290, Wardoctor would you be able to share the BIOS you used to make everything fully work? Was there any additional setup to do in Clover or was it just working straight away?

try the newest clover it no longer sees a 290x as a 7600m just inject ati but amd wont email me back about the bios i need and still waiting on sapphire i am about to just buy a firerpo w9100 and take the bios then return it but 10.10 is out today so let's hope for the best 

The big question is if hardware acceleration works? QE/CI? It's one thing to show up in the system info, and another to have working acceleration :). Anyway, appreciate the effort, keep us posted.

these are 10.10 drivers they don't fully work on 10.9 but hopefully will in 10.10 we will find out tomorrow
  • Like 1

I can confirm that it does detect it using those kexts. And it defaulted to the correct 2560x1440 resolution for my cinema display, but there is no QE/CI yet. This is a big step in the right direction though! If these drivers are in 10.10 beta, there's a chance they'll be in the 10.9.4 release :)

post-1004917-0-79306500-1401777206_thumb.png

• Like 3

Sorry excuse my lack of understanding. Are these kexts for the 290x or the 290? 

Are you saying that what I need to do to get my r9 290 (NOT the x version) working (albeit as an 8 series card) is to get the latest clover and install the kexts you linked above? And those kexts will give me QE/CI as well?

Netkas is saying that the 290x works out of box in 10.10 with QE/CI. Might have to try this out tonight.

Sorry excuse my lack of understanding. Are these kexts for the 290x or the 290? 

Are you saying that what I need to do to get my r9 290 (NOT the x version) working (albeit as an 8 series card) is to get the latest clover and install the kexts you linked above? And those kexts will give me QE/CI as well?

From what I've read only the 290x is recognized, you may have to inject device-ID's to get it to recognize the 290. But under Mavericks you will NOT have QE/CI yet with those kexts. It will show more properly and have the correct resolution, but no hardware acceleration.

If you have a dual bios and a 290 don't be afraid to unlock your 290 to a 290x just choose a 290x that has the same pin set as you single 6 and single 8 pin or dual 8 pins ya know matching PCI-e plugs

A little sidetrack - how stable is 10.10 DP at the moment? I'm eager to try it with my 290x, but on the other hand I need the computer on a daily basis, so don't want to get stuck with a very unstable OS. Maybe I should try 10.9.3 with the kexts from 10.10 first and see if that works for me.

If you have a dual bios and a 290 don't be afraid to unlock your 290 to a 290x just choose a 290x that has the same pin set as you single 6 and single 8 pin or dual 8 pins ya know matching PCI-e plugs

Do you think that the normal 290 works with 10.10 as well?

There are some threads over on Mac Rumors.  Doesn't sound like 10.10 is very stable.  If you have a spare hard drive, it might be worth installing it and trying it out.

For those that have tried 10.10, are you using Clover or Chameleon?

I just had to register on here to let you guys know i¨ve been following this post since it was made in hopes of getting my r9 290x working, and i gotta give you some awesome credits WarDoctor, you really did some amazing work attempting to get it working in 10.9.x. i just hit 10.10 in on my hackintosh now, and i can confirm, i got hardware acceleration and frame buffer running like a baws.

I am currently running clover boot loader:

GraphichsEnabler=Yes

kext-dev-mode=1

and ran kextutility on my network driver and i¨m fully up and running. so far it seems stable except some minor details.

It seems the graphics driver for hawaii are sorta unstable, its unable to sync the picture on bouts until i plug out my DVI-cable on the GPU and put it in again.

And i¨m unable to run more the 1 monitor (I have 3 monitor¨s id like to have running).

Other then this i can inform i did a clean install and haven¨t tampered with anything other then fakeSMC.kext to get it to boot, iCloud, Appstore worked on first login without any tampering. so far it seems good. I just though id give you guys my thanks and report with confirmation that this actually works OOB in 10.10 DP1, just needs some tweaking on the driver part so that the syncing problem and multi monitor setup will work.

I just had to register on here to let you guys know i¨ve been following this post since it was made in hopes of getting my r9 290x working, and i gotta give you some awesome credits WarDoctor, you really did some amazing work attempting to get it working in 10.9.x. i just hit 10.10 in on my hackintosh now, and i can confirm, i got hardware acceleration and frame buffer running like a baws.

I am currently running clover boot loader:

GraphichsEnabler=Yes

kext-dev-mode=1

and ran kextutility on my network driver and i¨m fully up and running. so far it seems stable except some minor details.

It seems the graphics driver for hawaii are sorta unstable, its unable to sync the picture on bouts until i plug out my DVI-cable on the GPU and put it in again.

And i¨m unable to run more the 1 monitor (I have 3 monitor¨s id like to have running).

Other then this i can inform i did a clean install and haven¨t tampered with anything other then fakeSMC.kext to get it to boot, iCloud, Appstore worked on first login without any tampering. so far it seems good. I just though id give you guys my thanks and report with confirmation that this actually works OOB in 10.10 DP1, just needs some tweaking on the driver part so that the syncing problem and multi monitor setup will work.

if you get multi monitor working i will be grateful for life also gpu vm multi space are disabled for now but next beta it should be on in driver.

after i flashed 290 bios to my second bios switch i can confirm inJectati is broken and the 290 does not work wait for clover update 

• Like 1

if you get multi monitor working i will be grateful for life also gpu vm multi space are disabled for now but next beta it should be on in driver.

after i flashed 290 bios to my second bios switch i can confirm inJectati is broken and the 290 does not work wait for clover update 

It will save my ass aswell, i´m working on getting this more stable, wondering if forcing resolution will work on my syncing problem. But i still have a few tweaks to go here. but at least for now i got my GPU running with HW Acceleration. and i can start using my mackintosh instead of being forced on windows, i will do some more testing tomorrow and will get back to you.