[Guide] How to make a bootable OS X 10.9 Mavericks USB install drive on LINUX

tlac

83 posts in this topic

Solution to problem 1:

Ok i solved the problem in two steps: 

First i deleted the nullcpupowermanagement kext, then the system wasn't rebooting but it got stuck anyway(sorry don't remember which was the error)

To solve then i booted with the following flags: -v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes

So....OK! Now i got in the mac installation but here another problem came out.

In my pc I have windows installed on 2 HDD in RAID 0 and I want to install mavericks on a third HDD.

for me it's no a problem to change the sata mode everytime i have to boot but here are the possibilites:

IDE mode: I can get to the installation but no HDD is detected(only usb stick)

RAID mode: I can get to the installation but no HDD is detected(only usb stick)

AHCI mode: When i boot Chameleon Freeze on the rotating slash, before the boot selection, not during the OSX boot but during the chameleon boot.

:(

Yet another update: 

I tried to disconnect the 2 HDD in raid 0(physically, the data cable) and now in AHCI chameleon boots fine as the OSX Installation, and now the HDD is detected, so it works but the need to disconnect sata cable everytimes starts to be frustrating...any idea for a solution?

Also, i managed to install mavericks with the RAID hard disk disconnected in AHCI mode but now when i boot i got stock on:

Waiting for DSMOS... It isn't the last line but probably that's the problem...anyway I have FAKESMC.kext in the extension folder...

First, thanks for your sharing. For the question you asked, i suggest to only leave a cable at the time. The system can't detect which to use when two cables are connected at the same time.

• 3 months later...

After trying to apply this USB creation method to El Capitan (10.11.3), I ran into this first issue (note I'm running the latest Enoch build, r2795 at the time of this writing):

Not entitled to link kext scom.apple.kpi.privates Failed to Load executable for kext com.apple.kpi.private. Kext com.apple.kpi.private failed to load (Oxdc008004). Fatted to Load kext com.apple.kpt.private (e•ror Oxdc008004). Failed to initialize kernel component com.apple.kpi.private. Not entitled to link kext pcom.apple.kpl.unsupported* Fatted to load executabLe for kext com.appte.kpi.unsupported. Kext com.apple.kpi.unsupported failed to load (Oxdc008004). Failed to load kext com.apple.kpi.unsupported (error Oxdc008004). Failed to initialize kernel component com.apple.kpi.unsupported. Kext com.apple.kec.corecrypto - library kext com.apple.kpi.bsd not found. Can't toad kext com.apple.kec.corecrypto - failed to resolve library dependencies. Kext com.apple.kec.corecrypto failed to load (Oxdc00800e). Failed to load kext com.apple.kec.corecrypto (error Oxdc00800e). Kext com.apple.kec.pthread - library kext com.apple.kpi.bsd not found. Can't toad kext com.apple.kec.pthread - failed to resolve Library dependencies. Kext com.apple.kec.pthread failed to Load (Oxdc00800e). Failed to toad kext com.apple.kec.pthread (error Oxdc00800e). Kext com.apple.iokit.IORCPIFamily - Library kext com.apple.kpi.iokit not found. Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform - failed to resolve Library dependencies - Kext com.apple.driver.flppleRCPIPlatform failed to Load (Oxdc00800e). Failed to toad kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (error Oxdc00800e). Couldn't alloc class -AppleACPIPlatformExpert" panic(cpu 0 caller Oxffffff80008d18e4): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \-191CPI\-.\n-0/Li rcesixnu/xnu-3248.30.4/iokit/Kernel/I0PlatformExpert.cpp:1665 Debugger called: <panic> Backtrace (CPU 0). Frame : Return Address Oxffffff8396a83df0 : Oxffffff80002df792 Oxffffff8396a03e70 : Oxfiffff80008d18e4 Oxffffff8396a03e80 : Oxffffff8000893d2d Oxffffff83964103ec0 : Oxffffff8000893836 Oxffffff8396a03f30 : Oxffffff800088e4ea Oxffffff8396a03f70 : Oxffffff80008944cc Oxffffff8396a03fb0 : Oxffffff80003ccf77 can't perform kext scan: no kext summary BSD process name corresponding to current thread : Unknown Boot args: -v -f 

Mac OS version: Not yet set 
Kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 15.3.0: Thu Dec 10 18:40:58 PST 2015; root :xnu-3240.30.4-1/RELEFISE_X06_64 Kernel UUID: DECC9F02-27D7-31F0-9599-119EF2673902C HIB text base: Oxffffff8000100000 System uptime in nanoseconds: 1456686633 

Thanks to chris1111's installer, I was able to figure it out: you must create a kernel.plist with at least KernelBooter_kexts set to Yes. Here's the full file created by the installer (not this is for an Ivy Bridge CPU, Haswell and up may be different):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>KernelBooter_kexts</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>KernelHasswell</key>
	<string>NO</string>
	<key>KernelLapicError</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>KernelLapicVersion</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>KernelPm</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>KernelSSE3</key>
	<string>NO</string>
	<key>KernelcpuFamily</key>
	<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

This isn't all, however. After that it would get stuck on waiting for DSMOS, so I suppose FakeSMC wasn't being properly loaded. It turns out org.chameleon.Boot.plist must contain CsrActiveConfig set to 3 to get to graphical mode. For reference, here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
	<string>3</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1024x768x32</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Instant Menu</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-v darkwake=0 dart=0 PCIRootUID=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>ShowInfo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I used this guide with a clover setup (two partitions on a thumb drive, clover in the first) and some work.

I was able to get to the install stage, I can choose the destination drive (already prepared) and everything seems ok until the actual install takes place.

It throws out "Undefined error: 0", tried with El captain .2 and Yosemite .5

Am I missing something ?

From log "X /Volumes/untitled: Missing CoreServices"

There's one missing step.

MacOSX installer try to get his files from BaseSystem.dmg but there's no such file in our USB build, this prompt a "Undefined error: 0" and end the installation process.

The solution is: go to media/osx86/ and make a symbolic link called BaseSystem.dmg that's actually a link to the folder itself:

ln -s . BaseSystem.dmg

...and everything works like a charm.

Also:

• there's a problem with some folder that cannot be copied in one of the first steps
  • 7z doesn't work anymore

For the first problem the solution is quite easy: use HFSExplorer ( http://www.catacombae.org/hfsexplorer/ )to extract missing files/directories and copy them in place afterward.

For the second you can use dmg2iso ( http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/ ),first list partitions inside .dmg then "extract" the largest one.

Last, I've used parts from this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?do=findComment&comment=2019599

...to create a working thumb drive with clover.

I'm trying to create an El Capitan Installer. 

I'm using a combination xar 7z to extract the files.

The problem is the links seem to be getting converted to text files.

I am able to boot but the kernel says boot task failed: fsck-safe.

Any way to preserve the links and extract?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...