AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB fixed (SL 10.6.8)

verteks

276 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I tried to get QE/CI working following this post:

http://www.insanelym...-graphics-qeci/

but there's no way I can get the FB running. I post 2 pics.

The first is the screen I get if I use the singlelink FB when the Apple logo and the spinning wheel disapper.

The second if I use the duallink FB.

Am I the only one who can't get this FB to work?

Any suggestion from anyone. I'm desperate!

Pentothal, maybe what I say will be useful , maybe not

I was playing with my IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext and changed it so that it loaded without its component ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin. This was a bad idea, and I ended up seeing exactly what you saw in your second screenshot. I got a grey screen, and then the computer ended up overheating and turned off.

Which leads me to suspect that the framebuffer will not work if CPU power states are not working properly

So I would suggest you make sure your power kexts are working fine (IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext must be untouched from original, also check FakeSMC and other power plugins), check your SSDT, if you dont have one then try to generate one, then enable all P states C states and C2-C4 states. Maybe the framebuffer doesnt have enough power to load or something.. just my theory

Well coil whine is "normal" if there is too much power load on coils, i.e. bad power management

And i'm pretty sure its not my HDD cos i dont have a HDD :D

I do use SSDT though

In early macbooks, the coil noise was present and could be removed by a work around by disabling C4 state, but that decreased battery life so it was never an ideal workaround. People made apps such as ShhMBP to remove the noise, but all those apps had side effects. I wonder if its worth trying those apps out

are you saying using a dual link fb instead of single link could possibly help ?

Not sure, but we if we try stuff, we can eliminate what does not work,thus comm

ing up with more efficient ideas.

Cannot try much myself as i've made so many mods to my system, results may as well be useless, till i re-install a fresh system

Also anyone knows how graphic-power-management operates?

i'm thinking if power management for the Gpu is not working correctly ,then certain loads can be to much for a particular power state, i will boot a linux Distro to see if the noise is reproduced there as well.

pentothal I think I have an idea: I remember you were having trouble with your EDID with the resolution module, and RemC helped you with it, hard-coding it to use your "magical" edid. However, the problem may not be because of the framebuffer not working, but rather it's picking up a weird EDID. Do you have networking set-up? If so, do you happen to be able to use VNC to see if the framebuffer's working? If it is, then try creating an override with this thread: http://www.insanelym...splay-problems/ This will override any faulty EDID and use the one that works for you. Work using Method B, and see if this fixes the problem. Be sure to use your "Magical" EDID.

Yes, you are right. remC hardcoded this res 1366x768x32. I followed the post you mentioned but there's no way I can get the EDID from the EPROM. I can only get it from the windows registry and that is not the live EDID. Basically if I cannot get the manifacurer EDID I cannot inject it.

My EDID:

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 51 F3 91 50 00 00 00 00 0E 10 01 03 80 22 13 FF 2F 00 00 A0 57 49 9B 26 10 48 4F 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 54 1C 56 A0 50 00 16 30 30 20 35 00 58 C1 10 00 00 18 00 00 00 FC 00 49 6E 74 65 72 6E 61 6C 20 4C 43 44 0A 00 00 00 FD 00 00 3C 00 A2 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 49

Maybe someone could create an artificial EDID with 1366x768x32 res and 60mhz. I don't know how to make it.

This is what I did. I tried all FB from this post:

with "GraphicsEnabler" and "Graphics Mode" not set at boot. I had only Natit.kext and Resolution.dylib.

My laptop has VGA port and miniDisplay port.

http://www.toshiba.c...t=11110#spectop

Booting with the SingleLink LCD FB I got the apple logo and the spinning wheel. Looking at the size of the apple I think the resolution was 1366x768. After a few seconds the spinning wheel and the apple logo disappeared and the screen was left whitish. There was a lot of HD activity. I waited 10 minutes (there was no more HD activity) then I entered my password and logged in blind. The HD led started blinking again. I think there was the desktop under that white screen. I waited 10 minutes more than I held down the power button and rebooted the laptop. I restarted the laptop from a working Mountain Lion I have in another partition and looked for the system.log from the partition where I installed the SingleLink LCD FB. Since ML 10.8.2 kernel.log and sytem.log are merged together. I found a 9.8MB system.log and I looked for "VBL interrupts lost" or "graphics engine hang". Nothing found.

I've sent the system log to verteks and he found out this line:

Mar 17 19:59:38 localhost WindowServer[107]: Display 0x41dc9d00: VirtualDisplay Unit 0; Vendor 0x756e6b6e Model 0x76697274 S/N 0 Dimensions 0.00 x 0.00; online enabled built-in, Bounds (0,0)[1280 x 1024], Rotation 0, Resolution 1

I think osx tries to get the EDID from the panel and not finding a readable one he cannot pass it to the FB. I'm running out of ideas.

Cheers

Pentothal

Yes, you are right. remC hardcoded this res 1366x768x32. I followed the post you mentioned but there's no way I can get the EDID from the EPROM. I can only get it from the windows registry and that is not the live EDID. Basically if I cannot get the manifacurer EDID I cannot inject it. Maybe someone could create an artificial EDID with 1366x768x32 res and 60mhz. I don't know how to make it. Furthermore I send the system log to verteks and he found out this line:

Mar 17 19:59:38 localhost WindowServer[107]: Display 0x41dc9d00: VirtualDisplay Unit 0; Vendor 0x756e6b6e Model 0x76697274 S/N 0 Dimensions 0.00 x 0.00; online enabled built-in, Bounds (0,0)[1280 x 1024], Rotation 0, Resolution 1

I think osx tries to get the EDID from the panel and not finding a readable one he cannot pass it to the FB. I'm running out of ideas.

Cheers

Pentothal

I don't think it's possible to make an artificial generic EDID because timings are different for different panels! So are you saying Windows creates an EDID for you? Can you not inject that one?

Yes, you are right. remC hardcoded this res 1366x768x32. I followed the post you mentioned but there's no way I can get the EDID from the EPROM. I can only get it from the windows registry and that is not the live EDID. Basically if I cannot get the manifacurer EDID I cannot inject it.

My EDID:

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 51 F3 91 50 00 00 00 00 0E 10 01 03 80 22 13 FF 2F 00 00 A0 57 49 9B 26 10 48 4F 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 54 1C 56 A0 50 00 16 30 30 20 35 00 58 C1 10 00 00 18 00 00 00 FC 00 49 6E 74 65 72 6E 61 6C 20 4C 43 44 0A 00 00 00 FD 00 00 3C 00 A2 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 49

Maybe someone could create an artificial EDID with 1366x768x32 res and 60mhz. I don't know how to make it.

This is what I did. I tried all FB from this post:

with "GraphicsEnabler" and "Graphics Mode" not set at boot. I had only Natit.kext and Resolution.dylib.

My laptop has VGA port and miniDisplay port.

Booting with the SingleLink LCD FB I got the apple logo and the spinning wheel. Looking at the size of the apple I think the resolution was 1366x768. After a few seconds the spinning wheel and the apple logo disappeared and the screen was left whitish. There was a lot of HD activity. I waited 10 minutes (there was no more HD activity) then I entered my password and logged in blind. The HD led started blinking again. I think there was the desktop under that white screen. I waited 10 minutes more than I held down the power button and rebooted the laptop. I restarted the laptop from a working Mountain Lion I have in another partition and looked for the system.log from the partition where I installed the SingleLink LCD FB. Since ML 10.8.2 kernel.log and sytem.log are merged together. I found a 9.8MB system.log and I looked for "VBL interrupts lost" or "graphics engine hang". Nothing found.

I've sent the system log to verteks and he found out this line:

Cheers

Pentothal

Do you have access to another computer? I was thinking that you should connect your hackintosh using VNC. That way you can analyze what IORegistry and the Intel HD Graphics is outputting. The good thing is that the framebuffer does not freeze your computer. I want to see if your display is being detected at all. If it is detected, then yes it will most likely be a EDID issue or you must enable duallink somehow. If its not detected, then the connection might not be LVDS.

I used to be in a situation like this before. I remembered that if I didn't have Natit loaded, the screen will show the spinning wheel spinning forever, yet my desktop displays in VNC. In other words when all of the kexts got loaded, my screen was lost. I fixed this issue though by adding os-info on my DSDT.

• Like 1

I don't think it's possible to make an artificial generic EDID because timings are different for different panels! So are you saying Windows creates an EDID for you? Can you not inject that one?

Yes I can get the EDID in W7 from the registry. But the registry EDID may not be the real lcd panel EDID. It's possible that either W7 or the graphics driver generated it. I've already injected that one modifying the DisplayProductID-717 file or injecting it in Clover Bootloader

<key>CustomEDID</key>

<data>EDID HERE</data>

Nothing happened, same story.

Thanks for your help anyway

Pentothal

Do you have access to another computer? I was thinking that you should connect your hackintosh using VNC. That way you can analyze what IORegistry and the Intel HD Graphics is outputting. The good thing is that the framebuffer does not freeze your computer. I want to see if your display is being detected at all. If it is detected, then yes it will most likely be a EDID issue or you must enable duallink somehow. If its not detected, then the connection might not be LVDS.

I used to be in a situation like this before. I remembered that if I didn't have Natit loaded, the screen will show the spinning wheel spinning forever, yet my desktop displays in VNC. In other words when all of the kexts got loaded, my screen was lost. I fixed this issue though by adding os-info on my DSDT.

Hi Ghostrider,

thanks for your help. Unfortunately I don't have another working PC at the moment. I'll have one later on this week to try what you are suggesting. Is it possible to access the IORegistry in one partition from the same computer running a working OSX system. Basically I have one working ML in one partition and I do the tests on another ML on the same HD but in a different partition.

I think I have an LVDS connection since I get this from Linux:

PCH_LVDS: 0x80308302 (enabled, pipe A, 18 bit, 1 channel)

Complete intel_reg_dumper attached.

I get the spinning wheel but after a few seconds disappears. Maybe you can have a look at my unedited dsdt file from linux. Please note that I don't use it since I never tried to patch it. Someone patched it for me but I couldn't boot the laptop.

Maybe Ghostrider you could try to apply your same patch and post the fixed DSDT so I can try.

Cheers

Pentothal

dsdt.aml.zip

intel_reg_dumper.rtf

Everything working fine, but how can i change this "Uknown" os-info to correct "Intel HD Graphics"?

I haven't added this information either in my guide (at one point I will) but all you have to go is add your Intel HD Graphics information under GFX0 in your DSDT. Basically you use a DSM method in there.

Sorry, but i don't have DSM method there.

Bump, i founded that _DSM method placed in PCI0-POP2-VGA. What exactly i must to add there?

Yes I can get the EDID in W7 from the registry. But the registry EDID may not be the real lcd panel EDID. It's possible that either W7 or the graphics driver generated it. I've already injected that one modifying the DisplayProductID-717 file or injecting it in Clover Bootloader

<key>CustomEDID</key>

<data>EDID HERE</data>

Nothing happened, same story.

Thanks for your help anyway

Pentothal

Hi Ghostrider,

thanks for your help. Unfortunately I don't have another working PC at the moment. I'll have one later on this week to try what you are suggesting. Is it possible to access the IORegistry in one partition from the same computer running a working OSX system. Basically I have one working ML in one partition and I do the tests on another ML on the same HD but in a different partition.

I think I have an LVDS connection since I get this from Linux:

PCH_LVDS: 0x80308302 (enabled, pipe A, 18 bit, 1 channel)

Complete intel_reg_dumper attached.

I get the spinning wheel but after a few seconds disappears. Maybe you can have a look at my unedited dsdt file from linux. Please note that I don't use it since I never tried to patch it. Someone patched it for me but I couldn't boot the laptop.

Maybe Ghostrider you could try to apply your same patch and post the fixed DSDT so I can try.

Cheers

Pentothal

Disable all clover functionality to do with gfx ,such as disable patched vbios and gfx injection

Backup and Delete all video kext you dont need like Ati,Nvidia and other intel

Backup and delete applegrapchic_control and apple backlight kext

To be certain that other parties aren't interfering with your gfx.

Don't know if you already posted but what laptop do you have? model and such maybe will get lucky and find some detailed info in a manual or such.

I have a Toshiba M11 with exactly the same problem as Pentothal. The screen is LVDS but is not sending an EDID out, if you look under the frame buffer in ioreg with IntelHDGraphicsFB loaded no displays are present. I have tried injecting the EDID through DSDT, Natit and monitor overrides, nothing works. Some of the other Intel framebuffers have EDID override code in them, unfortunately although IntelHDGraphicsFB does have the code it is not used, did try to call it by manually altering the code but that just caused a kernel panic.

I think Pentothal is correct, for us because EDID is not being sent the Framebuffer can't determine the correct timing and ignores the screen

• Like 1

I have a Toshiba M11 with exactly the same problem as Pentothal. The screen is LVDS but is not sending an EDID out, if you look under the frame buffer in ioreg with IntelHDGraphicsFB loaded no displays are present. I have tried injecting the EDID through DSDT, Natit and monitor overrides, nothing works. Some of the other Intel framebuffers have EDID override code in them, unfortunately although IntelHDGraphicsFB does have the code it is not used, did try to call it by manually altering the code but that just caused a kernel panic.

I think Pentothal is correct, for us because EDID is not being sent the Framebuffer can't determine the correct timing and ignores the screen

Try patching the fb kext with vga only or display port only or even try mixing it up.

I read that edp is suppose to utilize same gpu output as an external display port.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:HVDHNFoh_PUJ:www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DisplayPort-DevCon-Presentation-eDP-Dec-2010-v3.pdf+&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESheTEC6DFpypabQgctafMPY8ZTYcUNrCH9_EIkaSlc55TF8OPigXPwKWDzlquZBP3oSyAuCgRYFgkk7jhRdsmF-PLPkMmss-IhvgWwTIKkaKSvL1JvybeKxKIIZozqUaBvWZYiY&sig=AHIEtbRhfJQgaapcgXKea7Px1s3z-gFmrg

insight above for the more technical minded.

Disable all clover functionality to do with gfx ,such as disable patched vbios and gfx injection

Backup and Delete all video kext you dont need like Ati,Nvidia and other intel

Backup and delete applegrapchic_control and apple backlight kext

To be certain that other parties aren't interfering with your gfx.

Don't know if you already posted but what laptop do you have? model and such maybe will get lucky and find some detailed info in a manual or such.

Ok 2bad0 I'll try that tomorrow.

My laptop here:

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=223&product=9993&part=11110#spectop

Service manual here:

http://podolsk.pro/scheme/Toshiba/satellite%20pro%20s500%20tecra%20a11%20s11%20p11.pdf

Cheers

Pentothal

It worked for me!! Packard Bell tk85. In 10.8.2 i have the same issue as other users: a strange noise from hard disk (or near it) and the shell screensaver didn´t shows. I've upgrade to 10.8.3 and the shell screensaver now works well, but the noise still sounds. BUT, if I put a MP3 playing at iTunes and quit the sound, the noise have disappear!! Sorry for my english, and hope this will help us to remove this annoying noise.

Ok 2bad0 I'll try that tomorrow.

My laptop here:

Service manual here:

http://podolsk.pro/s...a11 s11 p11.pdf

Cheers

Pentothal

Looking @ it, also try patching different individual outputs, such as vga by itself, display port and such, and try connecting external monitor or what ever device you have so we can narrow down this issue.

As for edid try this advanced guide by Giofrida http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281412-how-to-advanced-edid-injection/

Looking @ it, also try patching different individual outputs, such as vga by itself, display port and such, and try connecting external monitor or what ever device you have so we can narrow down this issue.

As for edid try this advanced guide by Giofrida http://www.insanelym...edid-injection/

Hi 2bad0,

I've done some tests using individual output patches. I used this switches:

hdgraphics_patcher -p LVDS AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB

hdgraphics_patcher -p DP AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB

Rebuilt cache, reapired permission. Same white screen after the apple logo and the spinning wheel disappeared.

I'll try VGA monitor tomorrow or the day after.

I applied Giofrida edid injection. See attachments.

It looks like the FB won't ever work for me.

Cheers

Pentothal

grab2.tiff

grab1.tiff

Hi 2bad0,

I've done some tests using individual output patches. I used this switches:

hdgraphics_patcher -p LVDS AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB

hdgraphics_patcher -p DP AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB

Rebuilt cache, reapired permission. Same white screen after the apple logo and the spinning wheel disappeared.

I'll try VGA monitor tomorrow or the day after.

I applied Giofrida edid injection. See attachments.

It looks like the FB won't ever work for me.

Cheers

Pentothal

Hmm.. why only 128MB? And try to install the retail version of OS X as white_eagle did:

I DID IT GUYS!

I really don't know what the problem was, but this time instead of using iAtkos I used an original .dmg appstore file for OSX ML with myHack instead of that stupid method from that other commercial Hackintosh forum I don't even want to mention (& it can go to hell for giving me such headaches). Afterwards I just followed EVERYTHING outlined here http://www.insanelym...-graphics-qeci/ and the attachments are proof that everything's working. Next I'll be installing all the other drivers that worked in my initial iAtkos installation and that'll be it!

Good job guys!

I'll be donating to this AWESOME forum when I get a hold of some better cash in the next week and I recommend you to do it if you can spare some pizza money! :)

because he had the same thing:

Here's what happens, I have successfully booted and kext wizard says AppleIntelHDGraphics (8.1.0) is loaded (since that's the only kext I put in), but I have now lost the resolution (currently am on 1024x768). The difference is this time system preferences states that my graphics card has 128 MBs of memory (see the screenshots).

I am now going to restore ONLY my resolution.dylib to see what happens. I will not restore any other kexts until later.

oops forgot the screenshots

post-1139997-0-32772900-1363110591_thumb.png

post-1139997-0-95839300-1363110597_thumb.png

It seems it's a iAtkos issue. Don't use distros.. never

Hmm.. why only 128MB? And try to install the retail version of OS X as white_eagle did:

because he had the same thing:

It seems it's a iAtkos issue. Don't use distros.. never

I don't use iAtkos or any other distros.

Cheers

Pentothal

Hi Ghostrider,

I connected to my hackintosh using VNC. I noticed the screen is not detected and only intelhdgraphics and intelhdgrapicsFB are loaded. I used the sinle link and dual link FB patch (LVDS) with the same result. Like you I had the forever spinning wheel if I had not natit installed. I was anyway able to connect via VNC. With natit installed the spinning wheel and the apple logo disappeared after a few seconds and the screen was whitish.

I attach a zip file with screenshots and ioregistry. Maybe you can have a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance

Pentothal

VNC Screenshots and IOREG dump.zip

Hi Ghostrider,

I connected to my hackintosh using VNC. I noticed the screen is not detected and only intelhdgraphics and intelhdgrapicsFB are loaded. I used the sinle link and dual link FB patch (LVDS) with the same result. Like you I had the forever spinning wheel if I had not natit installed. I was anyway able to connect via VNC. With natit installed the spinning wheel and the apple logo disappeared after a few seconds and the screen was whitish.

I attach a zip file with screenshots and ioregistry. Maybe you can have a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance

Pentothal

From what I've seen, you used natit and both Intel HD Graphics kexts loaded right? However there is a screenshot where it says no display. That is not a good sign...

From what I've seen, you used natit and both Intel HD Graphics kexts loaded right? However there is a screenshot where it says no display. That is not a good sign...

Yes, I used Natit and both Intel HD Graphics loaded. Hmmmm bad news. I've found out something strange in the registry. My panel is identified as AppleDisplay (usually this is the name for external displays) and not as AppleBacklightDisplay as it should be. Any ideas?

Regards

Pentothal

Does anyone have any of the following problems... Take a picture that's big but not too big (say 1280 x 1024) and open it in Preview app. Try making color adjustments through Adjust Colour. I am suffering terrible lag with simple stuff like Highlights and Shadows. And if I try to adjust Sharpness to make it look softer, the whole picture disappears. Is this normal ?

Also, do I understand correctly.. to enable the shell screen saver, I need to update to 10.8.3 ?

Yes, I used Natit and both Intel HD Graphics loaded. Hmmmm bad news. I've found out something strange in the registry. My panel is identified as AppleDisplay (usually this is the name for external displays) and not as AppleBacklightDisplay as it should be. Any ideas?

Regards

Pentothal

Hey try going through this, this guy did lots of experimenting with intelhd and display panels.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/232968-hp-g72/

Does anyone have any of the following problems... Take a picture that's big but not too big (say 1280 x 1024) and open it in Preview app. Try making color adjustments through Adjust Colour. I am suffering terrible lag with simple stuff like Highlights and Shadows. And if I try to adjust Sharpness to make it look softer, the whole picture disappears. Is this normal ?

Also, do I understand correctly.. to enable the shell screen saver, I need to update to 10.8.3 ?

I didn't try that. If you just play with the widgets the lag comes out! The GPU temperature? 70°C