Is there a way to change my mac's serial #?

DesertFox

59 posts in this topic

This thread is good, someone should make it sticky. :unsure:

And i bought my mb from apple so hoping it's no stolen :P

but if my serial number will have been gone on new motherboard then I'll use this method thanks! :)

• 9 months later...

after searching and searching : I found that there are 3 public tools to serialize the new logic-board ... for people with macbook pro core Dou the tool called Set_Sys_Ser_Num.dmg is needed ... with efi ROMs Core 2 Dou 2.2 / 2.4 and above the tool BBS " Blank Board Serializer Tool " is needed 3T106 /3T110 ....

I have all 3 tools : with my 2.4 C2D MacBook Pro early 2008 I could serialize my swapped logic-board . But the bad thing is that I miss-typed the number ( {censored} na ) ... now after rebooting with the tool again: a message comes out saying " this tool is only for blank boards " .... another {censored}

so, be careful you can only serialize once and only once with the tool ...

I know that I can send my macbook to an apple service center and have it re-serialized again ... but that is to hard for me as I need my notebook for work and private and cannot wait so long to have it flashed...

I found out that Apple service centers ( some of them, not all ) have a special tool to re-serialize ... this is the tool I need

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Are there any new versions of the Serial CD or something just like that? I've a mid 2007 iMac 2,4GHz Intel 2 Duo with a new blank logic board (got it yester back from apple).

I'm looking for any solution to get my SN on the new logic board and I DON'T want to send me my back for another two weeks again!

So please, is there an option to do this?

• 3 months later...

Was there ever a resolution to this? I'm in the same boat and I'm not willing to mail this thing out again and wait for it to come back....

Are there any new versions of the Serial CD or something just like that? I've a mid 2007 iMac 2,4GHz Intel 2 Duo with a new blank logic board (got it yester back from apple).

I'm looking for any solution to get my SN on the new logic board and I DON'T want to send me my back for another two weeks again!

So please, is there an option to do this?

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I just wanted to make a lot of people happy but I almost gave up after having to follow so many silly questions about computer knowledge.  B)  So geek!!!

Last year I've upgraded my iMac hard drive and right after I've updated to Lion and just this month after wanted to use again Facetime I've noticed I didn't have the SN on it anymore, what the heck? Who stole it from me? From a lot of reading and searching I found out updating to Lion is on of the possibilities.

Anyway, I thought I'd find the answer at the end of this threat unfortunately the golden pot wasn't here. Almost gave up when I stump upon a German forum that linked me to an English link with exactly the link with we all have been looking for, one that would work with newer versions of mac.

I've done, I've tested and everything is working. Just make sure you get the correct SN, and the process makes sure you get your chills by asking you about it several times. :)

Here's the link to it. Use at your own risk!

• 6 months later...

nobody seems to actually have an answer though...just the same comments over and over.

let's say my macbook air (mid-2013) already has a serial number programed into it, from what i'm told, most likely in the nvram somewhere, is there any way to either wipe it clean so i can use bas or that setsysser program to write a new one? or is there a way to just change it out by somehow accessing the nvram during the system startup or hidden files so it'll change on the next reboot? 

i know if i install a new logic board it'll sip the serial number, and there must be a fail safe in case one gets entered incorrectly, so short of installing a new logic board...how would i go about to change the serial number that's already on my mac?

and i already know that if I'm going to put a new serial number in, it has to match the specs of current computer exactly, so don't worry about warning me on that.  thank you.