Fusion Drive: How does OS X handle the hybrid?

tdtran1025

6 posts in this topic

I light of the announcement of Fusion Drive for iMac, I would like to ask all users a out there who have been using SSD in conjunction with traditional HD about the setup, and operational experience.

I know Seagate has some hybrid drives but the solid state portion is so small, it does not count. For you who have both a small 128G SSD and some (1 or more) traditional HD set up, how do you set them up so that the system performs like a Fusion Drive?

The simplest way to separate system and user data is to set an alternate location for the user's home folder by right clicking on the user entry in Preferences/Users. Before changing the default, copy the users data to the desired HD location, or copy/restore the system to the SSD. I have a 64GB SSD for the system, and a 500GB HD for the user.

Generally OS on SSD, home folder on HDD. Done as above.

On my desktop with numerous hard drives I have the OS on an SSD. Infrequently used apps / library content on an extra HDD then HDDs for music / videos / documents simlinked to the home directory (separate HDDs, not partitions).

Everything's hooked up by 6Gbit/s SATA and I consistently see read/write speeds from HDD's over 1Gbit/s.

To give you some idea how quick it is most apps open instantly, photoshop / logic / matlab take about half a second and the operating system boots in 2.5 pins of the OS X logo.

Generally OS on SSD, home folder on HDD. Done as above.

On my desktop with numerous hard drives I have the OS on an SSD. Infrequently used apps / library content on an extra HDD then HDDs for music / videos / documents simlinked to the home directory (separate HDDs, not partitions).

Everything's hooked up by 6Gbit/s SATA and I consistently see read/write speeds from HDD's over 1Gbit/s.

To give you some idea how quick it is most apps open instantly, photoshop / logic / matlab take about half a second and the operating system boots in 2.5 pins of the OS X logo.

That's gorgeous.

But SSD seems to be able to boot directly into OS without pins

• Like 1

I light of the announcement of Fusion Drive for iMac, I would like to ask all users a out there who have been using SSD in conjunction with traditional HD about the setup, and operational experience.

I know Seagate has some hybrid drives but the solid state portion is so small, it does not count. For you who have both a small 128G SSD and some (1 or more) traditional HD set up, how do you set them up so that the system performs like a Fusion Drive?

OCZ has a 1TB model with 128GB SSD. They have the RevoDrive which is PCI-e and has 910mbs transfer capabilities. But the cache management is done via software. So Apple software is goinf to be needed. Going on how they dealt with Trim on SSD's, the software may well be restricted to Apple supported 'Fusion Drives'. Basically, the Fusion drive and Hybrid drive are one and the same thing. Apple have chosen to call it Fusion as they will release their own supported models - probably at a much higher cost - as they always do.

OCZ has a 1TB model with 128GB SSD. They have the RevoDrive which is PCI-e and has 910mbs transfer capabilities. But the cache management is done via software. So Apple software is goinf to be needed. Going on how they dealt with Trim on SSD's, the software may well be restricted to Apple supported 'Fusion Drives'. Basically, the Fusion drive and Hybrid drive are one and the same thing. Apple have chosen to call it Fusion as they will release their own supported models - probably at a much higher cost - as they always do.

:afro:

Apple always charges way more ~