OSX Freeze with 275GTX - possible overheat?

Mac Junky

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

Looked everywhere for help but cannot seem to find any, I have a GTX275 that works just fine, apart from the Fan not seemingly speeding up when it is under load causing it to lock up the machine after 10-15 minutes of a 3D game, usually with a sound loop and a black screen.

At least, i think that's what the problem is, has anyone else had this issue with an nVidia card?

Works just fine in Snow Leopard and Lion.

Updated to latest 304.00.05f02 drivers, but it's done it will all nVidia drivers in Mountain Lion.

Check console log (all messages) about OpenGL Channel exception errors.

If you find those entries (with gpurestart messages) it isnt an temp problem but some driver problem.

I also have that problem since 10.8.1 with my normally unproblematic 9600GT and nothing helped.

In the past only Fermi gpus had such probs, now since 10.8.1 also some, but not all , older Nvidia gpus can run in that channel exception errors.

PS: Those errors=freezes of gpu but cpu stay running (sound works further) not happen with all OpenGL Games/Apps.

Some can run forever some, like RAGE, Serius SAM3, Unique Heaven freeze after second to minutes. I checked gpu temp and in the freeze cases gpu temp was good at lower temp.