• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

TomTom1

TomTom1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Great guide, you guys, Thanks you so much. Finally get my G73SW-1ATZ work on the same as you guys.
Some interesting points I'd like to add at installation:
  • if you use 750GB HD like me, need to install boot0 manually. Either use “dd if=…” method if you have the i386 folder’s files (Enoch is locked can’t view package contents, not sure which version of boot file they’re using), or install Enoch again while your HD is connected through USB (USB2SATA adapter), in that case, if you're plug it into another hackintosh (different hardware), remember to restore your original extra folder from the first install before you put it back and restart.
  • Having VGA port plugged in while restart/or start 90% of time will knock out your USB3, so does HDMI. (if having USB3 drive also plugged-in and do start/restart, get better chance not to get knock out)
  • The 10.8.2 Kernel 12.2.1.9, 1.zip will knock out my audio after I tried HDMI port and stay off restart/ or fresh start (no audio either on HDMI nor built-in speaker, and no mic either). But in order to pass the MacBook...Upd2.0.dmg installation I made it through after replaced with 10.8.2 Kerne.....zip (maybe all I need was just change my smbio to 9.1, who knows but it's ok it doesn't take time to change around) so I put them back to Dec 10.zip after that (all audio devices will work including HDMI. P.S. the volume control for HDMI will grey out but you can control the volume from the other end). It is no longer the case after my third and forth ... attempts. I can go direct to 10.8.2 Ke....9, 1.zip with no problem anymore, strange...! However, I still need some kext from Dec 10.zip in order to have everything working. so I took 4 kexts that other doesn't have and combine them, work fine now. There are AppleACPIBatteryManager, CalDigitFastIO, RealtekRTL81xx, and IOWMIFamily. (well, I'm not sure if the last one really necessary but since it's not going to replace any of the kext from original install, I think it won't hurt anything, worst case cernerio is just the 200KB of space :-)
  • Since my Bluetooth works with or without mod I also put the original “IOBluetoothFamily.kext” back as well, and left AsusNBWMI alone. But the differences between Dec 10 and 10.8.2… also includes the Extra folder SSDT are the same, but dsdt and the lines in org.cham…plist is what my concern, I think that the kernel flag –f is ok being there, but not sure about Cstates or Pstates Dec 10 has it, the newer one doesn’t, and vise versa the UseKernelCache. Must have something to do with the difference in DSDT I guess, right? Just gotta keep search and test it out and report back. Or if anyone already knows the answer for that, please post it. BTW, any recommending app for testing CPU on Mac?
  • How many times you can do sleep/wake is limitless when computer starts out fresh (without the key-light), tested it 5 times in the roll with the button or close the lid. But when I intentionally sleep it and wake and restart to have the key-light stay on, you can only sleep/wake once after restart, and continue that, shut down will hang. Update: After a couple attempts, my key-light no longer come up anymore, so the hang or the limit for sleep is no long the case since the key-light never turn on. (don't have other OS to wake it up, am using the HD for my 10.8.2 attempt so I can leave my 10.7.2 and data untouched, don't know how to use linux CD either)
  • Finally, I found that there is a physical fix for the annoying touch pad on YouTube, if you happen to replace memories at another two slots, you might as well do it. (I’m still waiting the motivation of the additional 4GB :) But the second half of the video about the buttons, I don’t think I would do that, it’s fine for me the way it is right now, and that’s just my opinion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUN9CKMSSwg
Strange things happen: After put all the applications back in (Not using Migration Asst), key-light no longer came on after wake, and just out of curiosity I replace all the files to 10.8.2 Kernel 12.2.1.9, 1.zip version, connect to HDMI, everything is still working. So strange, swapping back and forth Dec 10 and that, all the same. (did delete files in cache folder everytime, but can't find the bootcache.kext in S/L/E anymore)

manmal

manmal

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
hi jeff,
since i am still fighting with snow leopard, i have a couple questions...
1) alc269 applehda thread does not exist anymore and i am having a problem with ioaudiofamily : audio speakers out do not work after resume from sleep...how could i solve such problem? Any idea?
2) do you think that 10.8.2 nvidia drivers

304.00.05f02

will work with snow leopard too (in 64bit mode of course)? I hope in such way it will solve the G73SW "freeze" problem, well known on snow leopard.
thanks!
mal

TomTom1

TomTom1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Hi everyone, I've been experiencing the problem of "NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!", especially after display sleep (not the Computer sleep). Tried set the computer sleep and display sleep the sametime under Energy Saver, doesn't help either (once the Display sleep). The computer can only go to sleep when I told it to, but not the scheduled one. Still digging around for the answer, just thought if anyone here having the same problem, or perhaps the solution.

oh, BTW, having the 2nd monitor connected /or had already woke up once(keyboard light is on) while it happen, increase the chance of freeze the system.

ellnic

ellnic

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Macs :-)

Tried set the computer sleep and display sleep the sametime under Energy Saver, doesn't help either (once the Display sleep). The computer can only go to sleep when I told it to, but not the scheduled one. Still digging around for the answer, just thought if anyone here having the same problem, or perhaps the solution.

That's weird. Sleep on time out works for me. The only thing that doesn't is sleep on low battery but that is a completely different issue. Did you try setting your hibernate mode? ('sudo pmset hibernatemode 0' for example?)

Thanks for the track pad fix link btw, very interesting. I don't have as much of an issue with mine as some others have described, but it is good to keep in mind in case mine starts playing up more. The only thing is, I have seen a dis-assembly video for the G73SW and to remove the keyboard, you practically have to rip it out as it is stuck in with double sided tape. Bad design... I would really weigh up how much you want that extra 4GB of RAM, and order another keyboard before you start!

TomTom1

TomTom1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Thank you, ellnic!

Did you try setting your hibernate mode?

Yes, I did, tried 0 on the previous attempts (done 3 attempts after my post), didn't help, so I just leave it on 3 this time (since I kindda not having the space problem). And I later tried the method from other post at tonymac(sorry out of town right now don't have all that bookmarks with me), anyway, it's about replacing a bunch of NV kexts, and "ditto" the frameworks files, and then run the openCL script (looks just like that Jeff's 1st post on this thread). After that, the freeze problem reduced from almost 100% of the time to 50% (and also notice that if the screensaver loads all by itself without problem, most likely the screen sleep would be fine). So I got half happy with it and just turn off the hard-drive sleep and computer sleep all together. and get by for now. Still looking for solution in my spare time :-(

Oh btw, the method I'm using is your at (I think it's at) page 10 in the thread. And the file is currently using Dec10, (10.8.2 Kern......something.zip was used on my previous attempt) for some reason, I felt that the computer run bit more smooth using the Dec10 (maybe because that I will still have to take some kexts from Dec10 and mix with 10.8.2.....zip in order to have audio and such so instead of mixing it, I use the straight Dec10 file). Unless you have another version that I somehow missed, if so, please let me know, Thank you.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
i think battery in dsdt is different than battery in dsdt in real macbook. 8 bit 16 bit table for batery levels?

dvst8ion

dvst8ion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Have followed the instructions per the first post. Need help with sleep. it always goes black... and never comes back on.

Also, anyone have the issue that installing OSX knocks out USB3 in Windows 7. Doesnt seem to work in OSX Win7 or during boot. Will power the device but not communicate... Please help.

Running OSX on second HDD in Asus G73Sw (best buy one)
Running InsomniaX right now to keep it from sleeping...

Thank you in advance.

TomTom1

TomTom1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Have followed the instructions per the first post. Need help with sleep. it always goes black... and never comes back on.

Same here, at least 50% of the time now. InsomniaX sounds a good idea for me, Thanks.

Also, anyone have the issue that installing OSX knocks out USB3 in Windows 7. Doesnt seem to work in OSX Win7 or during boot. Will power the device but not communicate... Please help.

Running OSX on second HDD in Asus G73Sw (best buy one)

Happening sometime here, too. Once it get knocked out, even go win7 can still not get it back, just remove battery and plug, leave it for a couple sec, then put it back and boot. That solved my G73sw USB3 problem.

ellnic

ellnic

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
The sleep issues are entirely centered around the Nvidia Kexts, which I believe have been updated in 10.8.3 - which, has just been released... Hopefully Jeff will have some good news for us soon :D

manmal

manmal

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Yes, let's hope so :)

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
seen others with 10.8.3 nvidia wake issue. new drivers from nvidia site helped them

TomTom1

TomTom1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

The sleep issues are entirely centered around the Nvidia Kexts, which I believe have been updated in 10.8.3 - which, has just been released... Hopefully Jeff will have some good news for us soon :D

would love to try 10.8.3 soon as I get the part to fix my DC jack (hate this happening to me, but it did :wallbash: )
Anyway, did you just simply update to 8.3 without doing anything special?

Thanks

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:Apicoltura
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello

seen others with 10.8.3 nvidia wake issue. new drivers from nvidia site helped them

i'm afraid to upgrade..

are you able to write a guide?

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

i'm afraid to upgrade..

are you able to write a guide?

i dont have this laptop but its a known issue with nvidia and 10.8.3 .. needs newest drivers for wake to work,
clone your partition with disk utility and give it a shot

manmal

manmal

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
hi, could anyone provide a link for newest nvidia drivers for 10.8.3? i cannot find newest newest 10.8.3 nvidia drivers, just cuda ones (and inside the package there are not nvidia kexts, just cuda one...). thanks!

ellnic

ellnic

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I couldn't find them either, only the latest CUDA.

youngwake

youngwake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello guys. I took the plunge and updated to 10.8.3. After it finish installing, it said installation failed. I but I restarted normally and to my amazement, it updated to 10.8.3. Give it a shot wont hurt anything. I would say that I lost audio. I haven't rolled back any kexts yet though. but the update works. I will test audio and report back. I haven't tested sleep or the nvidia kexts as well...

After further testing, sleep and wake works with out modifying the kexts, but backlit is no longer functioning after wake

Found Issues:
no backlit after sleep
no audio
HDMI audio needs testing

youngwake

youngwake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
UPDATE:

After reapplying DEC10.ZIP from the first thread, minus the the fakesmc.kext, everything is working perfectly. I had to reapply ( sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }'/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib ) to get Backlit working after sleep. HDMI audio works. I also changed S/L/Displays/Overrides for DisplayVenderID-daf with the one from the first thread. fix permission via disk utility and reboot. Everything is working like normal

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:Apicoltura
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
really a good job !

ellnic

ellnic

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks for that youngwake! I can confirm that I have also updated to 10.8.3 and all is working after reapplying kexts to S/L/E and S/L/Displays/

I had an install error the same as you, but when I rebooted, it was at 10.8.3.

The only differences are, I used the kexts from this post, http://www.insanelym...60#entry1874144 because I have been using these for a while and they are different to the Dec 10 ones - and I didn't want to end up with a mishmash of 2 different sets of kexts. However, they seem to work well too! The only thing I have not checked is HDMI Audio, but I do not see why it would not work. When I get the chance to check it, I will report back.

One thing I will add, is that my install seems a hell of a lot quicker... and I mean a hell of a lot. It's got back that 'snappiness' that I felt I lost in 10.8.2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy