G73SW ML 10.8.2 Install

jeffc2009

398 posts in this topic

Anyone had any luck with Mavericks? I'm on 10.8.3 still and thinking I might skip 10.8.4 and 10.8.5 and move straight on up :)

Olarila have released a Mavericks USB image - need to give it a go when I get a minute, but I've been really busy with work recently. Plus I need to get around to updraging some of our NAS/Server kit so haven't had the time to play :P

Anyone had any luck with Mavericks? I'm on 10.8.3 still and thinking I might skip 10.8.4 and 10.8.5 and move straight on up :)

Olarila have released a Mavericks USB image - need to give it a go when I get a minute, but I've been really busy with work recently. Plus I need to get around to updraging some of our NAS/Server kit so haven't had the time to play :P

Running Mavericks ATM my only issue is watching youtube on safari where the video gets corrupted and then i get a channel timeout. But using chrome works fine. I have everything else working including power nap.

Nice, that was quick. Have you posted a guide yet, or are you able to? :-)

Its basically the same for 10.8...i updated as soon as it came out :P . Use enoch 2266 or higher or either it will just reboot, or iMessages won't work. Use the same dsdt etc etc. For Fermi users make sure to patch AGPM and FreezeFIx or you will have random freezes. Battery life is actually better than mountain lion too. I can get a little over three hours which is still nothing to brag about lol. For wifi if using Atheros, use the injector i posted. And thats about it B)

Will have to give it a go when I get a minute. If I can get it all working, I might start a new thread with a guide. I am busy updating our server and some of our other kit atm - but will maybe get a chance to play this weekend :)

Awesome :lol::P timezone is also fixed now. a little side-note, i had to install old bootcamp drivers v4 (v5 won't install) but did the job just fine.

also.. previously i had MacDrive instllaed on my windows-partition for accessing OSX-partitions. after reboot macdrive was conflicting with bootcamp drivers, so i removed macdrive rebooted into windows again. all of my partitions are accessible including the osx-partitions under windows.

now that's kick-ass! :D:superman:

thanx again :thumbsup_anim:

Btw I meant to say - if you want boot camp version 5 do this:

1. Extract the version 5 archive

2. Goto BootCamp > Drivers > Apple

3. Drag the file "BootCamp.msi" to your desktop

4. Click start and in the search box type "cmd"

5. In the results you will see the terminal, right click and run as administrator

6. When the terminal opens browse to your desktop, and type "BootCamp.msi"

Run through the installer, you may get an error about some package missing, ignore it- this is because we dragged it out of the folder it was in with all the Mac only drivers. When installation is complete reboot.

Enjoy.

Will have to give it a go when I get a minute. If I can get it all working, I might start a new thread with a guide. I am busy updating our server and some of our other kit atm - but will maybe get a chance to play this weekend :)

Ok good let me know if you need any other steps. I think hackintoshing might be a little more difficult in the future as Mavericks has begun to check S/L/E for each extension's signature so if you edit for example a kext in order to add your PCI address, the signature will be invalid and can be seen in console or when running kext utility. Not much of a problem now but who knows whats in store for the future...

Btw I meant to say - if you want boot camp version 5 do this:

1. Extract the version 5 archive

2. Goto BootCamp > Drivers > Apple

3. Drag the file "BootCamp.msi" to your desktop

4. Click start and in the search box type "cmd"

5. In the results you will see the terminal, right click and run as administrator

6. When the terminal opens browse to your desktop, and type "BootCamp.msi"

Run through the installer, you may get an error about some package missing, ignore it- this is because we dragged it out of the folder it was in with all the Mac only drivers. When installation is complete reboot.

Enjoy.

Thats weird mine ran fine...maybe mine is a macbook pro in disguise? :ph34r:

Of course i have an Intel chip.....

You need to find another wifi card. Not one intel wifi card will ever work in OSX.

And also what laptop do you have? I don't think any of the g73sw's came with intel wifi card unless its a best buy model or the g73jh...

You need to find another wifi card. Not one intel wifi card will ever work in OSX.

I'll continue to use my Alfa for now. Unless you know of a artheros card that has Bluetooth built in that will work with your kext.

Also cant get my sleep to work or my backlit keyboard. And dont understand the dsdt thing

I'll continue to use my Alfa for now. Unless you know of a artheros card that has Bluetooth built in that will work with your kext.

Also cant get my sleep to work or my backlit keyboard. And dont understand the dsdt thing

What model is your asus?

What model is your asus?

G73sw-bst6

What model is your asus?

Sorry didn't see you asked that earlier.

I really would love to use OSX all the time but these are really hanging me up. I would love a better wifi card and if i have to get a new one I would prefer it have bluetooth if at all possible. But i think i need to address the DSDT thing first.

G73sw-bst6

Sorry didn't see you asked that earlier.

No problem. Ok thats why its the best buy model with the 1600x900 res screen. Bluetooth is omitted and i am not sure of any low profile wifi cards with bluetooth integrated in them...they are usually separate however. I would recommend checking ebay for wifi cards that may come with bluetooth but your best bet is getting one from a macbook and then either get a usb bluetooth or find the bluetooth module from a non-watered down g73sw.

A dsdt is recommend for the full experience of a hackintosh but if you don't want one, you can use SleepEnabler.kext for sleep without dsdt. Are you sure the keyboard is backlit?

No problem. Ok thats why its the best buy model with the 1600x900 res screen. Bluetooth is omitted and i am not sure of any low profile wifi cards with bluetooth integrated in them...they are usually separate however. I would recommend checking ebay for wifi cards that may come with bluetooth but your best bet is getting one from a macbook and then either get a usb bluetooth or find the bluetooth module from a non-watered down g73sw.

A dsdt is recommend for the full experience of a hackintosh but if you don't want one, you can use SleepEnabler.kext for sleep without dsdt. Are you sure the keyboard is backlit?

Backlit in windows all the time. Just dont have the fancy underscreen blue led. And ive seen cards with bt4.0 and 802.1abgn dual band out there like atheros ar9462.

will the AR9380 Work in windows do you know?

Backlit in windows all the time. Just dont have the fancy underscreen blue led. And ive seen cards with bt4.0 and 802.1abgn dual band out there like atheros ar9462.

Ah ok. The under screen blue led is for the JH models on the SW models, the blue bar is there but no led's are in it. All you have to check for is if the card is half sized or it might not fit properly. If they are then you're set.

will the AR9380 Work in windows do you know?

Of course. Why not? But its a full height card so I'm not sure if it will fit properly.

Hrm.. I have just tried the latest version of clover with Mavericks but I can't get it to boot. No driver for platform. This boot loader is the bane of my life. I try it from time to time but I can never get it to work. Shame.. When I used the Olarila key drive to boot into mavericks post installation it looks like it picked up Ethernet and a few other things without any Kexts., but as soon as I try and edit the config and add Kexts it goes south. Anyway, I'll tinker over the next few days and see if I can get it working.

Hrm.. I have just tried the latest version of clover with Mavericks but I can't get it to boot. No driver for platform. This boot loader is the bane of my life. I try it from time to time but I can never get it to work. Shame.. When I used the Olarila key drive to boot into mavericks post installation it looks like it picked up Ethernet and a few other things without any Kexts., but as soon as I try and edit the config and add Kexts it goes south. Anyway, I'll tinker over the next few days and see if I can get it working.

Good luck. I use my hackintosh in class in college so i definitely don't have time to mess with clover but is FakeSmc installed? Sometimes if its incompatible or not installed it'll do that. Chameleon does what I need it to do so i'm fine ATM but still something ill like to tackle one of these days.

Running Mavericks ATM my only issue is watching youtube on safari where the video gets corrupted and then i get a channel timeout. But using chrome works fine. I have everything else working including power nap.

this is because the new implementation  AV Foundation for video codecs, this is matched in some way to the Mac profile you are using so if you are using macbook pro 8,1, 8,2 or 8,3 which use intel IGPU for this process = Video Freeze if you want to fix this just change your Model id in SMBIOS to iMac, or Mac pro, I use Mac mini 5,2 and also works ok.

Good Luck

hi asusg73,

i was wondering if you could post all the kexts you used to get mavericks up and running? i am confused as to which ones you also used from the original post... could you post them together with a quick step by step? i am not quite as knowledgeable as some of the others here...

thx

Good luck. I use my hackintosh in class in college so i definitely don't have time to mess with clover but is FakeSmc installed? Sometimes if its incompatible or not installed it'll do that. Chameleon does what I need it to do so i'm fine ATM but still something ill like to tackle one of these days.

Yes it was installed. It made no difference. I've searched and searched for solutions. I can find a couple of others in similar situations and most have given up and gone back to using chameleon or one of its direct dirivetives. I guess there isn't much you can't do with Enoch, a good DSDT/SSDT and the right Kexts. You seems to have it pretty much spot on anyway.

What do you mean by using the AGPM patch and FixIt?

@AREOS - thanks for the tip, I'll make sure I try that when I get up and running

this is because the new implementation  AV Foundation for video codecs, this is matched in some way to the Mac profile you are using so if you are using macbook pro 8,1, 8,2 or 8,3 which use intel IGPU for this process = Video Freeze if you want to fix this just change your Model id in SMBIOS to iMac, or Mac pro, I use Mac mini 5,2 and also works ok.

Good Luck

Made no difference for me...I tried all sorts of smbioses but no change. What i was able to do was to disable hardware acceleration under flash player settings. Youtube videos play just fine but dvd player shows a corrupted video then it either freezes or if i press command+q fast enough, when launchd respawns the gpu i can prevent having to forcefully shutdown. I believe the issue is deeper than just smbios. If i could find a way to edit the AV foundation, that could possibly fix the issues. Keep in mind however, these issues did not exist on my hack when i had 10.8.5.

hi asusg73, i was wondering if you could post all the kexts you used to get mavericks up and running? i am confused as to which ones you also used from the original post... could you post them together with a quick step by step? i am not quite as knowledgeable as some of the others here... thx

What method are you using to install and what is your complete laptop model number? Through first installation, the essentials are fakesmc, nullintelcpupowermanagement(since you don't have a ssdt yet), a boot loader (chimera, chameleon, etc.), smbios.plist in Extra/Extensions, depending on your laptop, you may or may not end using my kext. Keep in mind if you have ANY type of intel wifi card, it will NOT work ever in OSX. Start with that, then you can tailor the install further to enable more features. Good luck

Yes it was installed. It made no difference. I've searched and searched for solutions. I can find a couple of others in similar situations and most have given up and gone back to using chameleon or one of its direct dirivetives. I guess there isn't much you can't do with Enoch, a good DSDT/SSDT and the right Kexts. You seems to have it pretty much spot on anyway.

What do you mean by using the AGPM patch and FixIt?

@AREOS - thanks for the tip, I'll make sure I try that when I get up and running

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. Patching it to allow proper gpu throttling to save power on battery and so it won't idle at 50c+. And FreezeFix app is to stop the random freezes associated with all Fermi cards.

What method are you using to install and what is your complete laptop model number? Through first installation, the essentials are fakesmc, nullintelcpupowermanagement(since you don't have a ssdt yet), a boot loader (chimera, chameleon, etc.), smbios.plist in Extra/Extensions, depending on your laptop, you may or may not end using my kext. Keep in mind if you have ANY type of intel wifi card, it will NOT work ever in OSX. Start with that, then you can tailor the install further to enable more features. Good luck

where do I find the complete model number?

i managed to follow the guide at the beginning of this thread and got ml up and running. i am still on 10.8.2 because I didn't want to risk {censored} it up with updates. wifi works so I don't have the intel card? everything is working at the moment including hdmi audio and backlit keys.. etc i just dont know which kexts to take from the first post to get this workin in mavericks.

oh, to install i am grabbing that usb someone mentioned.

that censored word is meant to be. s c r e w i n g not the obvious f word. why censor that?!?

where do I find the complete model number?

i managed to follow the guide at the beginning of this thread and got ml up and running. i am still on 10.8.2 because I didn't want to risk {censored} it up with updates. wifi works so I don't have the intel card? everything is working at the moment including hdmi audio and backlit keys.. etc i just dont know which kexts to take from the first post to get this workin in mavericks.

oh, to install i am grabbing that usb someone mentioned.

How did you get hdmi working? Did you just use the dsdt provided? Everything is about the same from 10.8.2 to 10.8.5. You just reapply AGPM, audio, AppleIntelcpupowermanagement if using a patched one. Thats basically it for update and as long as you don't use combo update. It uses an unnecessary amount of internet bandwidth and almost always causes a kernel panic even on real macs. And the backlit keys, can you control the brightness? How about LCD brightness with the "sun logo"?

i used the dsdt and ssdt from the post, used the enoch boot loader with modules to get hdmi. plugged in the lead while it was off, booted, shutdown, removed lead, now it works when live. tbh, i'm not keen to stay with ml. mavericks tags and finder tabs look awesome.

i used the dsdt and ssdt from the post, used the enoch boot loader with modules to get hdmi. plugged in the lead while it was off, booted, shutdown, removed lead, now it works when live. tbh, i'm not keen to stay with ml. mavericks tags and finder tabs look awesome.

I hear ya. And my boot times have been halved. It takes less than 10sec to boot. Haven't had a hackintosh this fast since snow leopard days. And if you use bluetooth like me, they've improved how OSX mangoes bluetooth and i get better battery life as well.