G73SW ML 10.8.2 Install

jeffc2009

398 posts in this topic

Right - I'm having a bit of a partition reshuffle so am reinstalling again, this time I will reboot before reapplying S/L/E kexts after the MacBookAirandMacBookProUpd2.0.dmg update. I have updated the instructions I posted to reflect this.

My freshly extracted DSDT is attached (I extracted using AIDA64 under Win)... I don't know if this differs from yours?

ellnic_acpi_dsdt_aida_g73sw.aml.zip

How odd.. so by all rights my backlit keyboard should work. Does your backlit keyboard now work before sleep with the latest kexts? Or do you still have to sleep first for it to work?

When I posted the sys info screenshot (http://oi46.tinypic.com/2uo3m2o.jpg) you identified that the only difference was the WLAN, and since both of ours work, that can't be it... I will be reinstalling this evening at some point, I will post back when I have more info. :)

Now, the kexts you restored. Are they colored like my package? If so, delete them and restore original from MacBook update 2.0. Apply my package again.

use pacifist extract the kexts.

After reapplying kexts and I rebooted. WiFi is now no hardware installed

good for you

my fn keys works for half. sleep ad volume are running fine

the backlit keyboard not. and the backlit keyboard run only at 1st boot.. and in windows.

the consolle report that the iowmi is loaded.. but half of the keys are not working

To solve this, go into the network pref pane and re-add the WLAN. This works for me when it hiccups.

EDIT: Sorry, that's when it says not configured.

Have you tried tapping fn+F2? That hot key works on my machine...

EDIT2: Did you also delete the contents of S/L/Caches after reapplying the S/L/E kexts? Also repair permissions - sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

You just need to reinstall again and this time don't restore.

good for you

my fn keys works for half. sleep ad volume are running fine

the backlit keyboard not. and the backlit keyboard run only at 1st boot.. and in windows.

the consolle report that the iowmi is loaded.. but half of the keys are not working

How many physical hack have you done to that laptop? http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1968-fn-hotkey-driver-for-asus-notebooks/

tested the two updates..

no better improvements

I am not sure how stable your system was before. With current install (factory spec)/disabled bluetooth in bio's, my system is stable. The whole reason we are hacking is to be like mac's, and to save money. If you think about it, how long did we spend to get to this point? Even tho the system is still have a few hiccups, would it not be cheaper to buy a mac?

• Like 1

Ladies and Gents, I have no idea why your backlit keyboard is not working! If you want to try to figure it out, start by replacing each kext with original backup kexts and restart then remove more. Until you are only down to fakesmc/AICPUPM/AppleACPIPlatform.kext. If you remove these three, you will KP. Without another working partition, it will take forever to get your system backup. If you make it this far to instigate the problem of why your keyboard backlit is not working, continue on by extracting your own fresh dsdt from windows and patching it yourself. Best of luck, as I can't help you without having the physical system in front of me. It's hard enough trying to help out some people on this thread. I do alot of reading myself to get to this state.

Jeff, I have a theory as to why the backlit keys might not be working...

Ever since I have been working on this machine under Mac OS, I have had the annoying issue of having to:

1. Plug in a USB keyboard when I use the Mac OS X installer (this no longer applies when using clover on the Olarila 10.8.2 USB)

and

2. When I hit the desktop after installing, the bluetooth keyboard setup assistant pops up like it cannot detect a keyboard. I have to quit it and turn it off in the pref pane (Bluetooth > Advanced > Top 2 check boxes)

Did you experience this at all? If not, I would guess that my keyboard is not be detected propely by ML, and thus is not being lit. What are your thoughts on this?

I'll do some more research tomorrow, but I guess that could be why my backlit keys are not working. Did you say you had your Bluetooth disabled in the bios? Is your wireless mouse one with a dongle then?

I'll do some more research tomorrow, but I guess that could be why my backlit keys are not working. Did you say you had your Bluetooth disabled in the bios? Is your wireless mouse one with a dongle then?

Yes, i have a microsoft wireless mouse 3500. You might stumble into a solution to why some people don't have backlit keyboard. Good Work.

Does anyone have a fresh windows G53SW DSDT?

Dsdwing53?Mine attached above

My perpetual philosophy is to be as close as possible to vanilla s/l/e.

Infact i've 4 boot disk.. And i test a single fix a time..on a test disk .

as i wrote in my 3d i removed the horrible combo card to put a single pcue airport extreme card. After that..i've soldered the 2 pins on the pcix socket board to connect a broadcom usb 4.0 bluetooth.. Which's working as a macbookpro2012 native bt.

Also i've replaced the webcam with a vanilla one..

Those are my phisical hacks.

I don't agree with thinking that backlit kbd is managed by drivers.. Except for the couple iowmi and ioacpixxxx

And..obviously..dsdt.

The dsdt contains the ec register.

And when you invoke something external the kbd device you move across the ec.

Which in dsdt asus rog is not well projected by asus.

For example in an hp i can alter the ec register at boot and obtain something if i close or open the lid.

In asus not.

so i'm sure i've a vanilla file structure because i keep the untouched os apart until i have agood tested boot.

I hate a dirty os.

Now..because of the latest tests..i'm sure that having out not amodded bios is equal.. Except that i can use original AICPM.

i think we have to focus on how the atk hardware interface tells to mac what to do to raise tge light when i press fn+f4.

Bye

I don't agree with thinking that backlit kbd is managed by drivers.. Except for the couple iowmi and ioacpixxxx

Unfortunately, that is exactly what controls it. Do a fresh install of Windows 7 and don't put any drivers in = no backlit keys. This is not just a Mac OS thing. Until you install the correct drivers in Windows, or the correct kext in Mac OS, you cannot get backlit keys.

Those of you who experience a breif flash of light when the machine is turned on, don't get all excited. All this is, is the BIOS testing the keyboard. After this, the control is handed to the OS.

What would be good is if Asus released a BIOS update so the backlit was handled by the BIOS independantly of the OS. Then the problem would be solved!

• Like 1

Cut the had of the bull:

After christmas..il'll test the polarity and voltage under windows

Then il'll give manually the voltage required. Stop

Look

Someone has the kbd lighthing.. Someone not.someone so and so.

Altough the guide in the 1st post is loud and clear.. There is something of uncontrollable and not discovered by noone.. That cause those different behaviour starting from same data.

waiting for the electrical tests.. I'll study the effective mutual association between iowmi (and Linux sources) and the dsdt/ec register

Ok, let us know what you find :-)

Does the backlit keyboard work under Linux then? I haven't tried it.

EDIT: Have to go out for a bit, will install Linux later and report back. If you need any info from my machine, let me know and I can get it.

Jeff, out of interest - you said that the display override changes it from Built In to Asus, where is this displayed? In my system profile, I only have this: http://i47.tinypic.com/21jumg7.png

Or do you mean in the detailed listing like this: http://i49.tinypic.com/ofzv6g.jpg

Just clutching at straws here... wondering if it's a glitch with the display, being that the nvidia drivers seen to affect backlit keys...

Cut the had of the bull:

After christmas..il'll test the polarity and voltage under windows

Then il'll give manually the voltage required. Stop

Look

Someone has the kbd lighthing.. Someone not.someone so and so.

Altough the guide in the 1st post is loud and clear.. There is something of uncontrollable and not discovered by noone.. That cause those different behaviour starting from same data.

waiting for the electrical tests.. I'll study the effective mutual association between iowmi (and Linux sources) and the dsdt/ec register

Ugokind/Ellnic, Did you guys Install with usb keyboard plugin? How about external display plugin? When I install I only have 1 wireless mouse connected, no external keyboard, and no external display. I remember back when i first started trying to install OS X 10.6.3, that bluetooth connection wizard popped up asking to connect a keyboard. So, I plugged in wireless mouse instead and it disappeared. After install, it pop up another wizard to figure out my built in keyboard. As far as this install goes, I am not sure why this is happening to some and not all. I am clueless. Now if my backlit keyboard is not functioning like before, I can try to trouble shoot it. But I noticed the backlit came back after this install. I am just trying to help you guys out! It's kinda hard to fix something that's working on my end.

Ellnic, see attached. As long as you have DisplayVenderID-daf folder in your S/L/Displays/Overrides/ just replace it with that file. It's just cosmetic.

I had removed AsusNBWMI.kext, changed boot flags to ignore kernel cache and boot cache. While my keyboard backlit is still working, rebooted computer. Once it get passed bio's boot, the keyboard backlit stays on. When I get to chameleon boot, keyboard backlit is still on. Can't control with fn-f3/f4, but Display backlight can change by pressing fn-f5/f6 before entering OS. Now, once i shut off computer or pull the battery out. I loose keyboard backlit after bio's boot. Display backlight is still controlled by fn-f5/f6 before entering OS. I know we are trying to figure out how to control these items in OS. But I think, these finding might help us understand more about how EC pass it's controls to OS. If i understand right, Display Backlight is controlled by the AppleBacklight.kext. For some reason, it's stuck on default in PNLF as AppleIntelPanelA. I got to do more reading. As far as keyboard backlit, it's controlled by nvidia then it passes it on to OS. Where it nvidia pass it to what service, i am still doing more research. Or it could be that after I found the right nvidia kexts to enable sleep, that triggered something in OS now is able to turn on keyboard backlit. But I know for now AsusNBWMI.kext is there to control vol up/down/mute, play/resume/next/previous. I understand these things require more hack, but system is running stable on my end. I don't have to worry about system freezing up right now until next update.

Display.tiff

I am just trying to help you guys out! 

I fully appreciate your efforts in getting this machine up and running and completely understand that it's very difficult to trouble shoot someone elses box. All I can do is thank you again, because this is our problem, and your help is appreciated.

I needed to plug a mouse/kb in when I used the self made installer for 10.8.0 and with Olarila 10.8.1, but since Olarila 10.8.2 I have had no issues. I do not use an external display - or keyboard only a mouse (but this is only because I use one, and not because it is needed). Not a wireless one, but USB all the same!

One thing that I think is interesting, is that when using the display override I do not get the same look in the pref pane as you. I get this: http://i48.tinypic.com/343q72f.jpg