G73SW ML 10.8.2 Install

jeffc2009

398 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I have some strange random crashes on my G73SW. In the logs I can only find something about an FIXME message. Googling around points me to a possible problem reading the battery... but I don't know what to do about it. 

This is what I have found in the system log:

2013-08-24 21:38:54 +0200 powerd[18]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "=ä∏(

".

2013-08-24 21:38:54 +0200 powerd[18]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "ASUSTek-‰ì ġˇˇ@?"?ġˇˇ‡·ì ġˇˇÄ”π?ġˇˇ·<ä∏".

Anyone ideas? I m using Jeff files on my G73SW.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello All,

I have some strange random crashes on my G73SW. In the logs I can only find something about an FIXME message. Googling around points me to a possible problem reading the battery... but I don't know what to do about it.

This is what I have found in the system log:

625]2013-08-24 21:38:54 +0200 powerd[18]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "=ä∏(

625]".

625]2013-08-24 21:38:54 +0200 powerd[18]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "ASUSTek-‰ì ġˇˇ@?"?ġˇˇ‡·ì ġˇˇÄ”π?ġˇˇ·<ä∏".

Anyone ideas? I m using Jeff files on my G73SW.

Did you use his DSDT? That could be the issue. It would be wise to extract your own DSDT and start from there. Since the error is from the daemon that manages power, it could be a bad battery driver? But first try the DSDT first

hello, 10.8.5 is out. Anyone updated to it? What about starting a clover installation procedure? I think it may be better than chameleon...

10.8.5 works fine on mine. I just still don't have USB3 and HDMI but ill figure it out. Everything else works like a MacBook Pro including screen brightness and etc. *EDIT usb3 works now! HDMI is left!

I'll never do that

Why do you say that?

i also would appriciate a set of 10.8.5 kexts  that will work on my G73SW.  i updated to 10.8.4 via combo update once, but after updating, i lost

* Battery-info (it shows 0% at all times)

* Wifi doesn't work anymore

* ALC888 doesn't work anymore

so i restored a backup  and went back to 10.8.3   and everything is just fine again (except for backlit keyboard and sd-cardreader)

thanx!

Hello, will you provide and share your 10.8.5 files with us (extra folder and System/Library/Extensions kexts?

Thanks!

Mal

Not much is needed to update to 10.8.5 as long as you dont do the combo update. Update through app store then re apply your sound kexts. Try that first and if you run into issues let me know. And about clover, I'm going to try it on a seperate hard drive and see what happens, then if successful, ill post a guide.

i also would appriciate a set of 10.8.5 kexts  that will work on my G73SW.  i updated to 10.8.4 via combo update once, but after updating, i lost

* Battery-info (it shows 0% at all times)

* Wifi doesn't work anymore

* ALC888 doesn't work anymore

so i restored a backup  and went back to 10.8.3   and everything is just fine again (except for backlit keyboard and sd-cardreader)

thanx!

Heres the installer for battery info. Make sure you disable kernel cache or you WILL get a KP.

Second attachment is for wifi.

Are you positive you have an alc888 codec in your g73sw?? Im pretty sure its an alc269 like mine...

AtherosWLanInjector.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Not much is needed to update to 10.8.5 as long as you dont do the combo update. Update through app store then re apply your sound kexts. Try that first and if you run into issues let me know. And about clover, I'm going to try it on a seperate hard drive and see what happens, then if successful, ill post a guide.

Heres the installer for battery info. Make sure you disable kernel cache or you WILL get a KP.

Second attachment is for wifi.

Are you positive you have an alc888 codec in your g73sw?? Im pretty sure its an alc269 like mine...

thanx asusg73

i had another go. i did what you said. updated to 10.8.5 via store.  update went ok.

after the update i lost wifi, sound and battery-info

i was able to restore audio  with ALC269 (like you said)

i was able to restore wifi  with your kext.

then i disabled kernal cache    (by using chameleon wizzard)

after that i installed iReddyBattery..  

reboot ->  still got a KP  :(

any idea how to restore this?  (restoring a previous image 10.8.3  does take 2,5 hours with paragon-software)

thanx asusg73

i had another go. i did what you said. updated to 10.8.5 via store.  update went ok.

any idea how to restore this?  (restoring a previous image 10.8.3  does take 2,5 hours with paragon-software)

Boot ignoring caches -f and try again. Did you setup Extra/Extensions?

asusg73   i booted ignoring caches  -f    and also -v  to see whats going on.

it took a little longer to boot.  it got a little further  but   suddenly i got a black screen  and got stuck.

do you want me to send a console-log?

here's my boot-logfile.  i was able to extract it  using my windows-partition

i think it got booted almost all the way, but in the end i get a black screen,  a little tick from the audio-card  and then  'a big nothing'    it got stuck  :(

thanx for the help so far :angel:

system.zip

here's my boot-logfile.  i was able to extract it  using my windows-partition

i think it got booted almost all the way, but in the end i get a black screen,  a little tick from the audio-card  and then  'a big nothing'    it got stuck  :(

thanx for the help so far :angel:

You need to have GraphicsEnabler=Yes in your chameleon.boot.plist. Mine does that too. So either GraphicsEnabler=yes or an efi string.

Glad i am able to help. ;)

Edit: Also don't boot ignoring flags...that could be the issue as well

thanx.

Graphicsenabler was already enabled.

here's my org.chameleon.boot.org:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

thanx.

Graphicsenabler was already enabled.

here's my org.chameleon.boot.org:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

BTW delete AppleACPIPS2nub.kext. It is interfering with voodoops2.kext

BTW delete AppleACPIPS2nub.kext. It is interfering with voodoops2.kext

That kext could actually be your problem. Delete it and then go to S/L/Caches and delete everything in that folder but not the cache folder itself.

Use my boot plist. That should do the trick.

org.chameleon.Boot.zip

i got the filename wrong!   org.chameleon.boot.org     it should be org.chameleon.boot.plist

it's booting just fine now.. without the switch options   Thanx a lot!

Congrats! :thumbsup_anim:  Haha how did you make that mistake? :hysterical:

i guess  i renamed it   using osx   it won't let me alter it  so i had to copy it,  edit that copy and overwrite the original.

anyway.  i also deleted AppleACPIPS2nub.kext  and the contents of S/L/Caches     rebooted  ->  bang!   kernel panic      rebooted again  with -f -> boots ok

should i make -f option permanent?  with chameleon wizard?

i guess  i renamed it   using osx   it won't let me alter it  so i had to copy it,  edit that copy and overwrite the original.

anyway.  i also deleted AppleACPIPS2nub.kext  and the contents of S/L/Caches     rebooted  ->  bang!   kernel panic      rebooted again  with -f -> boots ok

should i make -f option permanent?  with chameleon wizard?

Yes make the -f option permanent.

ok  made it permanent with chameleon wizard.   booting just fine now  10.8.5  thanx a lot man!  :thumbsup_anim:  :D  :P

i still got a 2 hour difference  in time  when switching from osx  to windows  i heart it got someting to do with a dsdt file?

ok  made it permanent with chameleon wizard.   booting just fine now  10.8.5  thanx a lot man!  :thumbsup_anim:  :D  :P

i still got a 2 hour difference  in time  when switching from osx  to windows  i heart it got someting to do with a dsdt file?

No that happens on real macs too. Download bootcamp software and install in windows and thatll fix it.

• Like 1

Awesome :lol:  :P   timezone is also fixed now.    a little side-note,  i had to install old bootcamp drivers v4  (v5 won't install) but did the job just fine.

also..  previously i had MacDrive instllaed on my windows-partition  for accessing OSX-partitions.   after reboot   macdrive was conflicting with bootcamp drivers,  so i removed macdrive  rebooted into windows again.  all of my partitions are accessible  including the osx-partitions under windows.

now that's kick-ass!   :D  :superman:

thanx again :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

thanx asusg73

Is this Kext for the Wifi for the stock internal card? I have the intel card with Wimax. dont ever use wimax in windows anyway, but would be nice to use the built in wifi instead of my alfa external.

Is this Kext for the Wifi for the stock internal card? I have the intel card with Wimax. dont ever use wimax in windows anyway, but would be nice to use the built in wifi instead of my alfa external.

kext provided by asusg73 is for internal wifi (artheros) card   and works flawless  :thumbsup_anim: