• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
Not sure I understand the "new" vs "old" DSDT, is the external drive not an exact clone of the internal drive? And thought you got SSD to use for ML? Second part doesn't really matter as your entitled to change your mind all you want :) Also any sleep enabler still present?

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
No sleep enabler present now. Yes I switched to using the SSD for the new ML install. Then I wiped the internal HDD that had the Lion installation. Then I cloned the SSD (including the Chameleon partition) to an external HD. Then I reinstalled Chameleon to the External HD to make it bootable. Now I want to leave the internal setup alone and try a new DSDT on the external while still using the old (Lion) DSDT on the internal. When/If I get sleep working, I will redo the same things on the Internal SSD. The old DSDT was generated with an older BIOS (1.0.15) on Snow Leopard and never had sleep working. The new DSDT has been generated on ML with the PC BIOS upgraded to 1.0.18 and then the DSDT was patched by LatinMcG in this thread above.

I know very little about patching DSDT. I don't know of a good text diff'ing tool on OSX. So I decompile DSDT.aml and then use Beyond Compare on Windows to compare the resulting dsl files. Even the comparisons don't make much sense to me. And I am a computer programmer to begin with. :-) That is why making sleep work seems like a tall order to me. Heh, maybe I'll just assemble a new rig with working sleep.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
Well, I'll throw another possibility at you. Chameleon does it's first load before you get to the selection menu and ever get a chance to choose which install you want to boot. So it's already read the extra folder of which ever drive you booted from in bios and applied many of the settings from that boot.plist. It should then read the same info off the drive you choose to boot from and use them instead, but this doesn't always go exactly as planned. If had issues when using 2 drives that have chameleon installed and each have a DSDT. There is no indication in bdmesg or elsewhere that anything went wrong and will indicate correct DSDT loaded, when in fact none of the DSDT fixes get applied. So really you only need Chameleon installed on 1 drive and only need DSDT on that drive and can then choose to boot any other OSX installation and it will still be applied. I know your workig out some bugs, but there is no reason to have 2 different DSDT's, your not switching bios'es between boots and there's no ML DSDT vs SL DSDT, it's a table extracted from bios and is not dependent on OS version, there may be fixes used in ML that were not needed in SL or are recent improvements people have come up with, but they will all be backward compatible. If you want to try out different ones, put it in a different location on the HD your booting besides /Extra or / like maybe /Extra/testdsdt/DSDT.aml and just specify that path for DSDT manually in Chameleon at boot, then if any problems, when you reboot, it will go back to using the one in /Extra. Keep a matching SMbios in both though.

Using Kozlek's branch of FakeSMC with monitoring plug-in, along with it's HWmontor app, you can see the CPU frequency and current multiplier both in real time, you should be able to see the CPU clock up under load and back down under idle. You may only see the "high" clock and the "low" clock because any steps in-between are maintained for such a brief time, it doesn't get a chance to show them unless you view the history graph.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
heres my pack for this RAID mode http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1700988
my second post .. mediafire link

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Thanks Latin and eep. I patched AppleRTC with the perl script and that fixed the BIOS resetting issue on boot from external hdd. Funny that I never did that on the internal SSD install.

But I still got the KP with CPUn does not have an HPET assigned. So I tried the DSDT and SSDT from the mediafire link above. It did not compile originally but hitting the "Fix Errors" button fixed those errors. Unfortunately I saw a DSDT.aml (and SSDT.aml) not found messages on the next boot followed by the same KP later.

Next I deleted the mediafire DSDT and SSDT and copied the same DSDT.aml I have on the internal SSD. Even with that I received the same KP. At this point, my external HDD has the same contents as the internal except for:
- AppleRTC.kext in S/L/E which has been patched
- Chameleon's E/E folder is missing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext, PlatformUUID.kext
I deleted these because Latin gave me a DSDT which has SATA/RAID fix applied.

eep, I agree with what you said above because I do see occasional funky-ness with Chameleon. However, having one DSDT is not going to work for me because if my internal SSD refuses to boot, then I'll have no way of going back and fixing the DSDT. I am not entirely sure how and when it falls back on the default DSDT. That is why I am trying to make the external bootable. That way I can experiment to make sleep work...

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
ive noticed the fix error (min/max length issue) in newer iasl made the inspiron 530 buggy.. try using dsdtse (older iasl)

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
What many people do is install chameleon on a thumb drive but an external HD would work just as well, and use that as the only bootloader, giving you the safety net your talking about and easy way to change of modify if needed and still only having the one chameleon drive. no requirement that it be installed to your internal drive too.

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I just cloned my internal Chameleon to the external hdd and booted external ML clone from it. The only difference being AppleRTC patch applied to the external ML install. Same KP for CPU HPET.

At the beginning I noticed messages regarding missing C-States and P-States and CPU 1 (through 4) identifiers being invalid (four messages).

I tried booting the external hdd ML install from the internal Chameleon and it worked!

Not sure what is going on anymore. eep, I have cloned Chameleon to a USB thumb drive but booting from it, I get a quick reboot without any messages. Otherwise I would clone my Chameleon to several different drives and always have a backup. At this point I only have one working Chameleon installation: internal. And if I change DSDT or any other thing to get sleep working, I may end up with no way to boot my hack.

iFIRE

iFIRE

InsanelyMacaholic

• Moderators
  • 3,769 posts
reinstall chameleon for you

USB thumb drive, when you clone your disk, you have install chameleon in your clone or not work.

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Yes of course. Sorry I forgot to do that. Thanks iFire.

Latin, compiling the mediafire DSDT.dsl with DSDTSE also gives me errors:

Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl   377:	 Method (\_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  1081 -												   Reserved method must return a value ^  (_WAK)
/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl   410:			 Store (Local0, Local0)
Error    4051 -													  Method local variable is not initialized ^  (Local0)
/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl   415:			 Store (Local0, Local0)
Error    4051 -													  Method local variable is not initialized ^  (Local0)
/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  1269:								 Or (0x03, PARM)
Warning  1106 -																   Result is not used, operator has no effect ^

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

Yes of course. Sorry I forgot to do that. Thanks iFire.

Latin, compiling the mediafire DSDT.dsl with DSDTSE also gives me errors:

those are easy
first is return zero wak fix.
second is add " to the local zero first one of both lines
Store ("Local0", Local0)

what i was referring to is the newer iasl says min/max memory range not same as.

dont forget to rebuild caches and delete .mpkg in /e/e

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Thanks for the help everyone. Here is where I am now. I was able to compile the mediafire DSDT successfully. I copied that to the external Chameleon partition. Then I deleted the AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext from the external ML installation and was able to boot successfully from it. I also have the AppleRTC.kext patched with the perl command posted on page 2. Other than these two changes, the external ML install is a perfect clone of my internal ML install. Chameleon is the same as internal except the DSDT. However, my sleep went into a sleep of death when booted from the external.

Which is not surprising since AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement has been deleted. Chameleon's E/E has the following:
AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext
fakesmc.kext
Intel82566MM.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
VoodooHDA.kext

Having two ways to boot, I am ready to experiment with my setup to get sleep working. Thanks again.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
you answered you own question on the sleep problem :) Question is why can't you boot with appleintelCPUpowermanagement, no null CPU and DSDT? Have you tried adding SSDT tables either to /Extra or patching them into DSDT? And I think it was mentioned a couple posts back, but be sure generate P&C states is in your org.boot.plist Also USB devices may be handled differently during sleep/wake. If they are ejecting on sleep, try adding USBBusfix=Yes boot flag. I have issues (hate) with WD external drives, as they will spin down if idle for more than 60 seconds regardless of your global power settings, and anytime you go to use finder, even if the USB is completely empty, it will beachball while waiting for the USB drive to clunk and spin back up. It's the enclosure and not the drive as I've swapped them out a few times cause when I get a new large drive for my tower, the smallest gets demoted to WD case, and whatever was in WD case is given away.I run a script to touch hidden file on drive every 40 secs just to avoid this major annoyance.

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Yeah that's the reason I waited so long to delete the AICPM.kext. But I was curious to know if that was the only problem. Turns out it was.

Thanks for reminding me about SSDT. Latin's mediafire link above had an SSDT.dsl file to. So I compiled to DSL and put it in E/E folder. I also deleted the PlatformUUID since it is old and unnecessary. And I also restored the AICPM.kext. I still got the same kp.

At this point, I am only able to boot the external with AICPM.kext removed. And then sleep doesn't wake. So I am going to leave that alone as a second boot and experiment with my internal setup.

I am going to try replacing my dsdt.aml with Latin's DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml.

That did not work. The new DSDT+SSDT combo from Mediafire on my internal drive booted fine (with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext present, and AppleRTC.kext not patched). But when I put the computer to sleep, it did not wake. I was not watching the power consumption but the light did not blink and the fans did not switch off.

On reboot, I see that my BIOS was reset. Which will be fixed by the AppleRTC patching. However, the DSDT did not give me sleep as I thought it would. Is there any hope for getting sleep to work on this rig?

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
Extract your own SSDT. Option is available in DSDTSE. Read something the other day about new chameleon needing SSDT tables in ACPI sub folder, but don't know exact details off my memory. Dell bios being sooo limited, I'm not sure about getting it to sleep, using put monitor to sleep in osx options helps a lot. It "looks" asleep with no monitor on and it uses quite a bit of power on it's own, combined with speedstep power use shouldn't be too bad. I've never been one to use sleep personally, maybe if I go all solar power in 2032.

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I will look into getting an SSDT. People on these forums have managed to make sleep work on the same Dell model so I have some hope. Yes sleeping the monitor helps a little - about 80 watts to be precise. But my computer sucks in some 140 watts and drops to 15 watts when in sleep mode in Windows 8. That is about 125 watts being wasted all day and night. And the worst part is the fan noise. When Windows goes to sleep, the room goes dead silent and I know the PC is still available to use at a moment's notice. If I can get that in OSX, then that would be the ideal setup for me.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
i havent tried 10.7 on inspiron 530.. but in 10.6.8 it was a lil hard to get sleep.. it was the _OSID and the USB EHCI needing patch.
some videocards wouldnt let it sleep either .. 8400 gs didnt let it sleep.. then i changed to 9500 and it worked.. same with 8600 (works).. but the 8400 with device id 10c3 was painfull. some have got it to work

try this one
http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1800262

make sure u dont have /Extra in the EFi partition hidden

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I never messed with EFI partition (still hidden) and don't know how to look at its contents. Do you think there might still be an Extra folder there?

I tried the linked D530 DSDT but that causes my computer to restart after loading kexts and such...

I also tried macnb's DSDT posted in another thread as sleep working. I get a "still waiting on root device" on that one. I am assuming the guys was using IDE mode for his HDD and since mine is set to RAID, it doesn't see the disks.

I decompiled my current working DSDT.aml and applied lpc_ICH9_Patch on it. It was missing a method (DGTP?) so I had to apply another patch. But in the end it made no difference.

I then tried applying the return value patch for the _WAK method. Mine was not returning any value. That made no difference.

I extracted an SSDT using the DSDTSE editor and compiled and copied it in the Extra folder. That made no difference.

I am a little tired of experimenting now. So I am going to take a break. Then I will try removing my PCI cards (Firewire, Gigabit network) and I will disconnect the extra HDD to see if that makes a difference. For now I will just reboot in Windows when I need to sleep my 'puter :-)

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
it has to be somethign u have in files.. source. or some other kext.. all the dsdts have issue? .. dont think so

efi mount unmount http://www.mediafire...1ebdfo22nnuvbw9

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
All the kexts are standard Mountain Lion - nothing custom. The only custom kexts are installed in E/E and listed above.

I can share my DSDT.dsl again. I will look at the EFI partition in a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy