Dell Bios, AHCI/RAID, SSD

86 posts in this topic

Yes of course. Sorry I forgot to do that. Thanks iFire.

Latin, compiling the mediafire DSDT.dsl with DSDTSE also gives me errors:

those are easy

first is return zero wak fix.

second is add " to the local zero first one of both lines

Store ("Local0", Local0)

what i was referring to is the newer iasl says min/max memory range not same as.

dont forget to rebuild caches and delete .mpkg in /e/e

Thanks for the help everyone. Here is where I am now. I was able to compile the mediafire DSDT successfully. I copied that to the external Chameleon partition. Then I deleted the AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext from the external ML installation and was able to boot successfully from it. I also have the AppleRTC.kext patched with the perl command posted on page 2. Other than these two changes, the external ML install is a perfect clone of my internal ML install. Chameleon is the same as internal except the DSDT. However, my sleep went into a sleep of death when booted from the external.

Which is not surprising since AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement has been deleted. Chameleon's E/E has the following:

AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

fakesmc.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Having two ways to boot, I am ready to experiment with my setup to get sleep working. Thanks again.

you answered you own question on the sleep problem :) Question is why can't you boot with appleintelCPUpowermanagement, no null CPU and DSDT? Have you tried adding SSDT tables either to /Extra or patching them into DSDT? And I think it was mentioned a couple posts back, but be sure generate P&C states is in your org.boot.plist Also USB devices may be handled differently during sleep/wake. If they are ejecting on sleep, try adding USBBusfix=Yes boot flag. I have issues (hate) with WD external drives, as they will spin down if idle for more than 60 seconds regardless of your global power settings, and anytime you go to use finder, even if the USB is completely empty, it will beachball while waiting for the USB drive to clunk and spin back up. It's the enclosure and not the drive as I've swapped them out a few times cause when I get a new large drive for my tower, the smallest gets demoted to WD case, and whatever was in WD case is given away.I run a script to touch hidden file on drive every 40 secs just to avoid this major annoyance.

Yeah that's the reason I waited so long to delete the AICPM.kext. But I was curious to know if that was the only problem. Turns out it was.

Thanks for reminding me about SSDT. Latin's mediafire link above had an SSDT.dsl file to. So I compiled to DSL and put it in E/E folder. I also deleted the PlatformUUID since it is old and unnecessary. And I also restored the AICPM.kext. I still got the same kp.

At this point, I am only able to boot the external with AICPM.kext removed. And then sleep doesn't wake. So I am going to leave that alone as a second boot and experiment with my internal setup.

I am going to try replacing my dsdt.aml with Latin's DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml.

That did not work. The new DSDT+SSDT combo from Mediafire on my internal drive booted fine (with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext present, and AppleRTC.kext not patched). But when I put the computer to sleep, it did not wake. I was not watching the power consumption but the light did not blink and the fans did not switch off.

On reboot, I see that my BIOS was reset. Which will be fixed by the AppleRTC patching. However, the DSDT did not give me sleep as I thought it would. Is there any hope for getting sleep to work on this rig?

Extract your own SSDT. Option is available in DSDTSE. Read something the other day about new chameleon needing SSDT tables in ACPI sub folder, but don't know exact details off my memory. Dell bios being sooo limited, I'm not sure about getting it to sleep, using put monitor to sleep in osx options helps a lot. It "looks" asleep with no monitor on and it uses quite a bit of power on it's own, combined with speedstep power use shouldn't be too bad. I've never been one to use sleep personally, maybe if I go all solar power in 2032.

I will look into getting an SSDT. People on these forums have managed to make sleep work on the same Dell model so I have some hope. Yes sleeping the monitor helps a little - about 80 watts to be precise. But my computer sucks in some 140 watts and drops to 15 watts when in sleep mode in Windows 8. That is about 125 watts being wasted all day and night. And the worst part is the fan noise. When Windows goes to sleep, the room goes dead silent and I know the PC is still available to use at a moment's notice. If I can get that in OSX, then that would be the ideal setup for me.

i havent tried 10.7 on inspiron 530.. but in 10.6.8 it was a lil hard to get sleep.. it was the _OSID and the USB EHCI needing patch.

some videocards wouldnt let it sleep either .. 8400 gs didnt let it sleep.. then i changed to 9500 and it worked.. same with 8600 (works).. but the 8400 with device id 10c3 was painfull. some have got it to work

try this one

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1800262

make sure u dont have /Extra in the EFi partition hidden

I never messed with EFI partition (still hidden) and don't know how to look at its contents. Do you think there might still be an Extra folder there?

I tried the linked D530 DSDT but that causes my computer to restart after loading kexts and such...

I also tried macnb's DSDT posted in another thread as sleep working. I get a "still waiting on root device" on that one. I am assuming the guys was using IDE mode for his HDD and since mine is set to RAID, it doesn't see the disks.

I decompiled my current working DSDT.aml and applied lpc_ICH9_Patch on it. It was missing a method (DGTP?) so I had to apply another patch. But in the end it made no difference.

I then tried applying the return value patch for the _WAK method. Mine was not returning any value. That made no difference.

I extracted an SSDT using the DSDTSE editor and compiled and copied it in the Extra folder. That made no difference.

I am a little tired of experimenting now. So I am going to take a break. Then I will try removing my PCI cards (Firewire, Gigabit network) and I will disconnect the extra HDD to see if that makes a difference. For now I will just reboot in Windows when I need to sleep my 'puter :-)

Thanks for the help everyone. Here is where I am now. I was able to compile the mediafire DSDT successfully. I copied that to the external Chameleon partition. Then I deleted the AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext from the external ML installation and was able to boot successfully from it. I also have the AppleRTC.kext patched with the perl command posted on page 2. Other than these two changes, the external ML install is a perfect clone of my internal ML install. Chameleon is the same as internal except the DSDT. However, my sleep went into a sleep of death when booted from the external.

Which is not surprising since AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement has been deleted. Chameleon's E/E has the following:

fakesmc.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Having two ways to boot, I am ready to experiment with my setup to get sleep working. Thanks again.

Why 2 ethernet kexts?

I've not put any kexts in E/E since Lion due to different issues with loading and caching, but fakesmc should be in S/L/E for sure. If using second ethernet card due to issue getting onboard to work, maybe AppleIntelE1000E ethernet kext to work better?

One is for a gigabit PCI card. The built-in was not working so I got a gigabit card. Then later the built in started working but I kept using the gigabit card anyway. Then I moved the comp to another room and since I am now using an Apple Airport Express as an extender, I plugged in the built-in ethernet jack. Wireless-N that comes out of the AE is not gigabit anyway so I left that alone. I will try to take the card out (and also the Firewire card, which I rarely use) to see if that helps with sleep.

Fakesmc in S/L/E? Do you know what issue it causes in E/E? I will try that way it anyway.

not 100% sure on difference, but think it's only that E/E doesn't have mkext for cache anymore so only S/L/E gets loaded into boot cache. I boot from RAID-0 so must have all needed kexts cached or it won't boot, so bigger problem for me than you, but still...I'm sure there's non-RAID reasons I can't think of atm :)

I googled but could not find any info on installing fakesmc to S/L/E. Mine seems to load up just fine. Meanwhile, I tried a bunch of DSDT hacks on my DSDT. A couple of them broke booting but the other 3 or 4 I tried made no difference. The computer is running loud all day. I did not realize this was bad until I ran Windows on it. Probably because of speed step, Windows runs the fans slower and of course it sleeps when needed making the room completely quite...

• 3 weeks later...

news.

some dell models dont need raid in bios for ahci.. some say raid/ahci, that works with ESB2 Orange icon fix"

in inspiron 530 it does need raid. it shows no ahci.

i did optiplex 330 and said raid/ahci or raid/ide or raid.. i choose raid and ESB2 wont work.

does work in Raid/AHCI

• 3 months later...

fakesmc.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Do you think you can post all the files you added or modified?

I was able to get Moutain Lion installed and running. Have the kext in the EXTRA folders. Running veriosn 10.8 of the BIOS.

I am having problems shutting down and rebooting. I tried some stuff here and still have the same issue.

My /E/E

Intel82566MM.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

fakesmc.kext

My Extra

dsdt.aml

dsdt.dsl

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

smbios.plist

The dsdt.aml files are ones I downloaded from you.

I also patched the APpleRTC.kext file. Not sure what else I am missing to fix the shutdown/restart.

Also does your sound work perfectly? Mine cracks and sometimes stops working.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

One is for a gigabit PCI card. The built-in was not working so I got a gigabit card. Then later the built in started working but I kept using the gigabit card anyway. Then I moved the comp to another room and since I am now using an Apple Airport Express as an extender, I plugged in the built-in ethernet jack. Wireless-N that comes out of the AE is not gigabit anyway so I left that alone. I will try to take the card out (and also the Firewire card, which I rarely use) to see if that helps with sleep.

Fakesmc in S/L/E? Do you know what issue it causes in E/E? I will try that way it anyway.

I have dell vostro 200 bios 10.0.15, believe to be similar motherboard as inspiron 530. I could not get the built-in ethernet to work with intel82566MM.kext on 10.8.2. Under System Report (system information) Ethernet Cards labels "This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet Cards installed. Is there a solution to get it to work without adding another ethernet card?

also, I have eVga 8800 GS 384MB detected, but no QE/CI. I've tried NVenabler64.kext and EFI Studio but no success (NVenabler Probe Fails at boot). If you have a solution for this card under 10.8.2 please share. Thanks!

I'm currently setting up my Vostro 200 (Slim Tower version) under OS X:

1) SL 10.6.3 updated to 10.6.8 -> ok

2) Lion 10.7.2 updated to 10.7.5 -> ok

3) ML 10.8.0 updated to 10.8.2 -> ok

BIOS is a modded/unlocked 10.0.16 (available at bios-mods.com) that supports AHCI HDD mode setting. Mobo is Foxconn G33M02 with Intel G33 chipset.

Built-in Intel 82562V-2 10/100 Ethernet works AppleIntelE1000e kext, Realtek ALC888 sound with AppleHDADisabler + VoodooHDA kexts, even the optional Dell-factory TEAC 13-in1 card reader works! My graphics card is a legacy ATI model (low-profile Radeon X1300/X1550 256MB) which works with patched ATI kexts and Natit injector. A bit messy but it provides me with full res (not full acceleration though), albeit it limits the system to 32bit kernel, so no support under ML... I'll probably change that card.

I need to find a fix for the shutdown->reboot issue, but other than that, it appears to be working rather well under all 3 OS X versions so far. Not bad for an ageing machine that never got too many fans.

Thanks for the follow up.

I have no problem with ahci with 10.0.15 (official bios) when selecting [raid] option under bios. However, Ethernet still not working with AppleIntelE1000e.kext. the only two lines in verbose mode showing that this kext is merely working are:

AppleIntelE1000e(Info): Interrupt Throttling Rate (ints/sec) set to dynamic conservative mode

AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500

I believe it is missing the link up. Also, I am still looking for solution to get nvidia 8800 gs 384mb to work properly with 10.8.2. A report from official apple forum suggests that upgrade to 10.8.3 beta fix QE/CI issue. Please help.

I'd heard that opting for RAID supported AHCI mode, but it never seemed to work for me when I tried. So, when the unlocked BIOS was published, I jumped on it and it worked.

I'd advise to check the PCI Vendor & Device Id of your Ethernet board. Intel id is Ox8086 and 82562V-2 id is 0x10C0: http://www.pcidataba...e_search=Search

You may have something different... The 82562V-2 is far from great though and you might have to set it to fixed 100MB FD to get it to work once registered in OS X.

Re: nVidia 8800, I'm afraid I can't really help you. Either find someone with developper's account who could get you 10.8.3 Beta or Google for it...

How do you do your installation? I'm using myHack with Generic Extra folder and add all my kexts there. Full details are on osxlatitude.com.

my intel 82562V-2 ethernet built-in is indeed Ox8086 and vendor id is 0x10C0. I don't understand what you mean by set it to fix 100mb FB. Can you elaborate? Under network preferences there is no ethernet adapter present nor in system profile, PCI ethernet card is not found. I got a realtek 8188su USB adapter to work but no ethernet.

I wouldn't mind if my 8800 GS 384mb has no QE/CI, but it a pain in the butt browsing with safari and other app using 3D features.

the attach kext gives me internet since 10.5 and i'm using it on 10.7 and worked last week on 10.8.2

I also have mine running on AHCI under all 10.5 -> 10.8.2

i don't have fix for restart - i think you need to do a dsdt stuff and i've not really had a good chance to get my head around it - there is plenty of info in this thread

richardmacx my network card is same as yours - try the kext i uploaded

Intel82566MM.kext.zip

• 3 months later...

One is for a gigabit PCI card. The built-in was not working so I got a gigabit card. Then later the built in started working but I kept using the gigabit card anyway.

Yelloguy

Wonder if you could advise.

I am about to attempt my first Hackintosh using a standard Dell Inspiron 530. The BIOS is the original. I intend to use myHack USB boot install and Mountain Lion to clean disk. Queries

1. Apart from setting the bios SATA hard disk to RAID to mimic AHCI is the anything else that I need to adjust or change in the myHack install to get the sound, network card or video (Radeon 3600) working. Not really familiar with kexts but are the any essential to het it working that are not part of myHack

2. How did you manage updates within ML after the install?

Thanks if you have time to answer.

Paul

Hope somebody can advise. This is my first Hackintosh on Dell Inspiron 530 MB G33M02 with one SATA drive on 0 and CD on SAT 1. New to whole process but I have made progress but have difficulty in last bit of getting to boot from the hard disk installation. I have done the following.

1. myHack installation of 10.8 but to get it to see the internal hard disk (problem with 530) substituted the Extra folder at the root of USB Installer with the Extra folder (number of Kexts etc..) from the Extra.zip (posted by Yelloguy earlier in this thread( but MINUS the DSDT file. This managed to install (major progress!). The machine boots with RAID set in BIOS (not RAIDed but the AHCI equivalent in this BIOS)

2. Post installation I have added the network card support which now works, did not from initial install.

3. Used myHack post install to ensure Chamaeleon is installed.

4. However if I try and boot from the hard disk and use -v it shows that it stops at "still waiting for root drive". To get the machine to boot I have to use a ML Recovery CD which when boots show the Hard Drive installation and I can choose to boot from that and it boots OK

5. From what others have said this seems same problems as eep357 had on page 1 of this thread and LatinMcG said "he has to fake ESB2 (orange icon fix) in dsdt for sat0 then set to raid in bios.. done" . I do not know what this means but seems requires a DSDT file.

6. There is a DSDT.aml in the Extra.zip file - will this fix the problem of not booting from hard Drive and how do I apply or use it in an installed installation? I have copied and paste it to Extra folder on Hard Drive- but makes no difference.

7. There is also an earlier separate DSDT file Yelloguy has posted that seems before the Extra.zip one - would that be better?

After 2 days and at last getting a bootable machine (albeit with a CD) I want to avoid going backwards again if possible but would like to get it booting from Hard Drive or am I completely on wrong track? I have run out of ideas.

Thanks