Mountain Lion on Kakewalk 10.7.4

Nolis

8 posts in this topic

Has anybody tried to post install Mountain Lion on the Lion 10.7.4 (Kakewalk).. and if so.. is there a guide how to do. I'm using GA EX58UD5 with Nvidia GT520, works fine on 10.7.4.

cheers... ;-)

Don't know about Kakewalk but ML is very easy to install using same tried and true methods as Lion DP1-10.7.4 and ML DP1-GM. Just make your own USB installer using Disk utility and you don't need to work about "new Kakewalk" or whatever other one being updated or compatible, especially on a Desktop with a dedicated GUID hard drive. As long as Chameleon will boot it, your good.

I'm going to try that when I've used ML for a while on a separate partition. I needed to run Kakewalk on the ML partition from my Lion partition to get ML to boot. That means I will probably have to run Kakewalk from my temporary ML to get the new one to work. If the upgrade method doesn't work I will do a fresh install.

Post install, all you need to do from your Lion partition is install your DSDT, smbios and Fakesmc to the installed ML (just copy the whole Extra folder), use the same appleHDA from your Lion install too along with Lnx2mac's ethernet kext for most Gigabyte boards and newest Chameleon installed to whichever drive you boot from in bios. Nothing special is needed, can reuse almost all the same added kexts and patches you used in Lion. If you have Lion running, you have everything you need already on your computer except maybe newer Chameleon

Has anybody tried to post install Mountain Lion on the Lion 10.7.4 (Kakewalk).. and if so.. is there a guide how to do. I'm using GA EX58UD5 with Nvidia GT520, works fine on 10.7.4.

cheers... ;-)

Look in the DSDT section for the EX58 and X58 Native power management thread by d00d, it details everything you need to get a very close to retail installation.

I need 1 kext and a patched DSDT to boot Mountain Lion GM.

• Like 1

My problem has always been that I don't know what Kakewalk does to my system so that I can do the same manually. As long as I have a version of osx on some hd or partition I can use Kakewalk to get a new install running. Mike
Exactly why it's time to learn how to make your hardware work on your own, so your not relying on someone else to release an update so you can update. First time or two you install, using a tool like that to help get things going is fine, but to rely on it can be a pain. It doesn't do anything too special, set up chameleon and boot.plist options, install a couple kexts, smbios and DSDT. Like I said since you already have a working Lion install, almost all that stuff is already there preconfigured for you. If you make your own folder in Documents or something that has all the kexts you need like fakesmc, appleHDA along with a chameleon installer and your extra folder, maybe throw a copy of Kext Wizard in there too, you'll have your own little installer package you can use the next time. keeping the same smbios is nice too so your serial doesnt change. Follow James's advice too. You have one of the most compatable and widley used hack boards and 95% aren't using kakewalk, so if you need additional direction, there's guides all over the place. Trust me once you've done your own a few times, it really is the easiest and fastest way.
  • Like 2

Nolls,

Stick with what you know. I am a veteren hackintosh'r who has been around since 2006. I have seen so many disto's and methods during my time. My advice to you is use the method you feel most comfortable with. Unfortunately you will get people on the forums who try to rip other forums or methods because the community has fractured. Just ignore them and follow what you know.

If you know kakewalk then you know enough and there isn't much it does but package your extra and provide a nice DSDT.

My advice to you is when building your box, make a disk image of your fresh install using carbon copy cloner so you can always revert back to the beginning. Partition your drive so you can boot into your test system and once you feel comfortable, use migration wizard to move all your existing apps and profiles over. Nada bing bada boom. No fuss no muss.

Also, time machine can be your best friend. If you apply and update that sends your system south, you can boot up with your USB stick and restore to the point on your drive when it worked.

THAT is my advice to you. You have all the tools you need and you know as much as any pro.

Good luck, I will be doing a kakewalk and manual method tonight on two boxes just for fun.