Can't seem to run in 64-bit or get to recognise full 8GB RAM

sam2nd

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Have successfully installed Snow Leopard on my machine using ModCd and Retail Disc method (Disc is 10.6.1, so my current version is 10.6.1).

First things first; Specs

• AMD Anthlon II X2 250 Processor 3 GHz
  • ASUS M5A97 Pro Motherboard
  • 3 SATA Hard drives (1 Windows, 1 OSX, and the other for Data)
  • 8gb DDR3 RAM (2x Crucial Ballistix 4gb sticks)
  • Nvidia 9800gx2 GFX 1gb

I have the ethernet, sound and graphics card all fully working and recognised.

Currently running Snow Leopard with boot flags -v maxmem=4096. I cannot boot any other way and I have tried -force64 arch=x86_64 but they produce Kernal Panics. So I'm only running a 32bit version at the moment, can't seem to get 64bit working.

I have tried the patch AMD_INSN_Patcher - didn't do anything.

Just looking for a few pointers as I feel I'm very nearly there. I hope I have supplied enough information for someone to help? If not then I am ready! :)

I'm no AMD expert and they tend to be a lot more buggy, but can you boot 32bit without the maxmem flag? I've never needed to use it before on any setup regardless of how much ram was installed and 32bit osx can still use more than 4gigs depending on hardware. Try arch=i386 -v only and see if all ram shows up.

Thank you for your replies.

I have now updated to 10.6.8 and used Marvins AMD utility which has enabled the use of the full 8gb of RAM and also (looking at activity monitor) I am running 64bit applications. I can now boot via Chameleon loader without any tags.

In OSX however, when I go to launch Chrome or iTunes I get the "Quit unexpectedly error".. 32bit applications I believe, so I'm going to try the AMD_INSN_PATCHER again and will post my results back. Could just be the need for another boot flag though?

EDIT: Good news! It worked. I can now boot without any flags. My boot originally hang but after restarting and adding -v flag I discovered the graphics enabler was causing it when injecting my ATI card (separate GPU for dual monitor).. I just removed it from my build (wont miss it) and it's all good.

There is always one thing though, no? Just launched a sound file to discover my sound is choppy again! VooDooHDA gives choppy sound unless moving the mouse. Originally fixed this by setting the sample rate in Utilities/Audio MIDI setup to 44100.0HZ and enabling SSE2 in VooDooHDA options. Doesn't do it this time. Bring on the search.

EDIT: Sorted it. I had to reinstall VoodooHDA and reboot with -f and then it reset to original sample rate (not 44100.0Hz), so I changed it - enabled SSE2 again - and I'm all sorted. Dare I say it?

Why did I choose an AMD CPU :wallbash:

Thank you for your replies.

I have now updated to 10.6.8 and used Marvins AMD utility which has enabled the use of the full 8gb of RAM and also (looking at activity monitor) I am running 64bit applications. I can now boot via Chameleon loader without any tags.

In OSX however, when I go to launch Chrome or iTunes I get the "Quit unexpectedly error".. 32bit applications I believe, so I'm going to try the AMD_INSN_PATCHER again and will post my results back. Could just be the need for another boot flag though?

EDIT: Good news! It worked. I can now boot without any flags. My boot originally hang but after restarting and adding -v flag I discovered the graphics enabler was causing it when injecting my ATI card (separate GPU for dual monitor).. I just removed it from my build (wont miss it) and it's all good.

There is always one thing though, no? Just launched a sound file to discover my sound is choppy again! VooDooHDA gives choppy sound unless moving the mouse. Originally fixed this by setting the sample rate in Utilities/Audio MIDI setup to 44100.0HZ and enabling SSE2 in VooDooHDA options. Doesn't do it this time. Bring on the search.

EDIT: Sorted it. I had to reinstall VoodooHDA and reboot with -f and then it reset to original sample rate (not 44100.0Hz), so I changed it - enabled SSE2 again - and I'm all sorted. Dare I say it?

Why did I choose an AMD CPU :wallbash:

LOL nothing really wrong with the processor choice, it just makes the challenge of adding OSX a bit more difficult.

I will attempt to use Marvin's AMD utility to utilize all 8GB of RAM on my system, as I have to modify the bootloader anyway since I can't get it to load without the Nawcom CD again.

Not sure why you have the issues with the sound card as I only had problems when I had 10.6.5 on the system...My sound is okay...

In reference to the 32-bit applications yeah that happens due to the 64-bit option added via Marvin's AMD or -force64 at boot