Unlocking the new Asus 3xxx Sandy/Ivy Bridge bios

dgsga

71 posts in this topic

Success with this method with p8p67 pro 3.0 Everything but audio works OOTB with no DSDT including energy saver sleep.

Congrats! What about JMB ext e-sata??

In my bios ( Asus rampage IV gene ) X79 there is not module called "PowerManagement" ... :(

Seems like i will wait for another solution to have Speed step .

Anyway thanks for the tutorial !

In my bios ( Asus rampage IV gene ) X79 there is not module called "PowerManagement" ... :(

Bios version?

Buoo is correct, you use the old method but speedstepping will not work and AICPUPM.kext will kp on boot. Our only hope there is that Apple decide to use Sandy Bridge-E Xeon CPU's in an updated version of the MacPro, which is anybody's guess :worried_anim:

• Like 1

p8h77-m here guys.

I made all changes in the 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D_1_386.ROM and when pasted in the dump was getting status: failed in the phoenix mod tool. Thought that I did something wrong with the aforementioned .rom file. After scratching my head for a while I tried again without doing any changes in the dump and, to my suprise, It still get failed.

Moreover it fails to re integrate A1902AB9..blah blah.rom

In advanced I only checked the "No Slic" and "Allow user to modify other modules".

Also tried 1.97 of phoenix mod but same happens.

Thanks in advance for any hint guys.

edit: .pic with error.

edit2: log

Tiano module compression method used
ASUS EFI lock(type 1) found in A1902AB9-5394-45F2-857A-12824213EEFB_1_8.ROM at EBC
ASUS EFI lock (type 1) found in A1902AB9-5394-45F2-857A-12824213EEFB_1_8.ROM at EBC patched
Changes detected in 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D_1_386.ROM
New A1902AB9-5394-45F2-857A-12824213EEFB_1_8.ROM Module is 8 bytes too small
New A1902AB9-5394-45F2-857A-12824213EEFB_1_8.ROM Module is 8 bytes too small
A1902AB9-5394-45F2-857A-12824213EEFB_1_8.ROM not reintegrated

post-61808-0-33363200-1338059649_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I would like to say thank you for a guide and would like to give few tips to ASUS Z77 owners which can not bypass BIOS security checks. If EZ BIOS Flash fail security checks and it will if you are using bios with modified modules. Flash your bios using ASUS USB BIOS Flashback future.

I can confirm that it works on P8Z77-M PRO with unlocked/modified bios 1303

Thanks!

• Like 2

Hi,

I would like to say thank you for a guide and would like to give few tips to ASUS Z77 owners which can not bypass BIOS security checks. If EZ BIOS Flash fail security checks and it will if you are using bios with modified modules. Flash your bios using ASUS USB BIOS Flashback future.

I can confirm that it works on P8Z77-M PRO with unlocked/modified bios 1303

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Reading about and asking to dgsga, Bupdater via DOS on USB stick should work too. not tested by me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vr4y8rUNXA

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I am so happy to be a member and can not stress how great you people have been. that is the people who worked so hard to get us where we are now and the list is long and you know who you are. thank you and also the people like myself who chose to try and test things over and over. well done everyone.

Edited by fantomas1
Asking about SLIC ACPI table injection, these are used to pirate Windows OS, isn't available on InsanelyMac !

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx Guys, I was able to mod my bios and flash it back via USB on the UEFI/BIOS menu. I found the sting around 2e30 on my hex-editor.

A side effect I'm experiacing now is tearing and glitching under Windows 7 64bit on the second DVI of my XFX HD5850, while the card is over clocked (765/1115). The over clock was achieved using the AMD auto tune feature. As soon as I disable the over clock I have no problems. I've had this card for a long time so i'm not sure if its almost done or related to the mod.

6 Sep 2012 Edit

Found out that my graphics glitch is related to a know issue with the HD5850 cards. System is running smooth.

MSI z77a-GD65 (BIOS 10.5)

3570k i5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for this thread, this is the most clear&concise description of exactly what to do to get native power management for newer uefi systems.

I wanted to chime in to report that this method worked to unlock the powermanagement msr via bios on my asus p8h77-m pro. This motherboard, like many of the current asus boards, lack the USB flashback feature, and so flashing the bios is a bit more complicated than in post #1.

There is another thread on that other newbie forum recommending DPCIManager combined with an oracle that will patch your bioses for you.

Instead, one can simply dump your bios using flashrom, patch the bios using mmtool&phonenixtool per post #1, and flashing the result back using flashrom. I think this is superior to relying upon an oracle to do the patching for you.

I compiled the latest flashrom myself and did that portion under linux and it worked fine (just another datapoint that flashrom works fine to bypass asus's flash security under linux not just osx).

I agree with earlier posts that the phoenixtool description in post #1 is a bit lacking, especially since phoenixtool doesn't have full documentation of its own. I used the latest phoenixtool from: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/13194-Tool-to-Insert-Replace-SLIC-in-Phoenix-Insyde-Dell-EFI-BIOSes , version 2.11 and, from my notes, the workflow was:

Generate .rom file with flashrom using:
flashrom -p internal -r file.rom
Run phoenixtool
Open .cap file (or as in my case, the .rom file you generated using flashrom)
Select Manufacturer ASUS
click advanced
in response to are you sure, click yes
select 'Allow user to modify other modules'
select 'No SLIC'
click done
click go
See dialog box that it is OK to modify files in the DUMP directory
Work on patch as shown below
Move your patched PowerManagement module into the DUMP dump directory
Click OK

Also, after one has decompiled the PowerManagement module and verified that it matches up with post #1, it is perhaps easiest to do the patch with the perl one-liner:

perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x08\x0f\xba\xe8\x0f\x89\x44\x24\x30|\xeb\x08\x0f\xba\xe8\x0f\x89\x44\x24\x30|' <filename>

where <filename> is the name you get for the PowerManagement module from mmtool.

To in turn get the PowerManagement module from mmtool, you run mmtool, select 'Load Image', select your .rom/.cap file, select create report.

Then from a shell:

grep PowerManagement <file.rpt>

where <file.rpt> is the .rpt file generated by mmtool.

For example, on my system:

% grep PowerManagement P8H77-M-PRO-ASUS-1003.rpt 
|139|PowerManagement|8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D|0040A120|0032C9|DRVR|
% cd DUMP
#Note: _1 suffix selects 2nd module file that matches the GUID above; the first 
#file is just header information for the module
% ls -l 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D_1*
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 22984 Nov  8 22:01 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D_1_407.ROM*
% cp 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D_1_407.ROM ../powermanagement
% cd ..
% objdump -m i386 -b binary -D powermanagement > pm.asm
#Verify assembly; then patch with:
% perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x08\x0f\xba\xe8\x0f\x89\x44\x24\x30|\xeb\x08\x0f\xba\xe8\x0f\x89\x44\x24\x30|' powermanagement
# When ready to apply patch (at final dialog from phoenixtool): 
# cp powermanagement DUMP/8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8_1_407.ROM

Then after phoenixtool builds the new .rom file, flashing with

% flashrom -p internal -w 1003.v2_SLIC.rom 

And the patch uefi bios is flashed. Then,the result (as seen under linux):

% rdmsr 0xe2
1e000400
% 

Ie bit 15 is clear in the offending MSR (MSR_PKG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL)

Now my system runs without NullCPUPowermanagement.

My system still doesn't suspend correctly (it hangs before suspending completely, and won't wake back up) so I'm not sure what else I have to do here. Probably some special usb setting is necessary? Hints anyone? suspend&resume work fine under linux.