Fermi overall performance?!

helmi1234

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a general question regarding the fermi performance in OSX.

I'm running 10.7.3 with a GTX580 (using these http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f01-driver.html). OpenGL and OpenCl are enabled (Cinebench ~45 fps), AGPM.kext modified (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=266036)

I have done some testing and immediately noticed some arguably bad performance in Left for Dead 2.

(about 100 fps with frequent Frame drops and stutters)

It just does not feel right, especially compared to Windows where I get constant fps>200

It's not that I want to use OSX primarily for gaming, I just want to make sure that everything is working correctly.

It would be great if someone with a similar fermi setup could test any of the source engine games and tell the results so I can compare afterwards.

..ok, I hope I can make this thread a bit more interesting.

Have a look at this. The new version supports osx:

logo5pxa4.png

http://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/

1986d1256312204-unigivkd30.jpg

I have compared Windows 7 to osx. However I hadn't expected these results:

unigine5plnr.png

Hope to see a few results of you guys. Also I would appreciate to get some tips or experience reports regarding Fermi performance..

note that you're probably comparing opengl 3.2 w/o tessellation against opengl 4.x w/ tessellation.

and my general observation is that opengl performance on os x is usually worse than on windows/linux ... especially in areas where apple should know and could do better (like shader optimization).

that being said, there is a lot of potential for manual optimization, but most don't bother, b/c os x is not important enough (if it runs with a decent amount of fps as is, why spend another bunch of $/€ to get 20%, 50% or 100% increase in performance?) or they are simply incapable of it (either limited by design that relies on heavy driver optimization or not enough knowledge of opengl, which isn't surprising in a directx dominated world).

edit: also note that this isn't a fermi related problem, but a general os x problem. apple's decision to write parts of the graphics drivers themselves brings a lot of benefits (the most important ones being compatibility and consistency), but with the downside being bad performance if they don't get it right.

Edited by cmf

Except for tesselation which he disabled, that's a good point, OpenGL 4 on Windows and OpenGL 3 on OS X.

10.7.3.png 64-bit Windows 7 SP1.png

Even with 16x vs 8x AF, OS X is still faster!

It would be useful if they allowed you to select which OpenGL version is used.

Not sure how this works when OpenGL features are missing - I remember getting Doom 3 running on my old 64MB Geforce 2 Titanium once. Lots of stuff simply just wasn't there, but it still managed to run it at a playable framerate somehow.

• 2 weeks later...