• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TyBro

TyBro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I know that this topic has been addressed before, but I was not able to figure out how to comment on the existing posts. I am new to Mac and Ubuntu (Linux), so I apologize in advance for any newbie comments, questions, and mistakes.

I have Ubuntu 11.10 as the host OS and VMware 8 as the virtual software. My image is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 everything seems to work fine except for the sound. The install was performed off a legal purchased copy of Snow Leopard from Apple. Original version was 10.6.3 and after install updated to 10.6.8.

I verified under VM settings that the sound card is connected. I've tried using auto detect and setting to ALSA: default sound card, but neither worked. I have installed all the drivers that I could find on the internet for this issue (AppleAC97Audio.kext with Kext Helper b7 and EsoniqAudioPCI_v1.0.2). Still no sound and "no output/input devices found" under system preferences.

I am not sure how to proceed from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If additional information is needed, I will try my best to provide.

C.Frio

C.Frio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Pandora Team
  • 1,281 posts
Hi

At first show your rig ,use (download)"system info" to see your devices ,and used kexts...

good lucky
c.frio

TyBro

TyBro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm assuming that u mean the system info from the Mac image. I tried to attach the .spx file, but I got a error message stating that I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file. Is there another way I can get you this information?

TyBro

TyBro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok. I figured out that I had to zip the file to post on this site. I attached my system info for the mac image.

Attached Files

TyBro

TyBro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Update: Althougth it seems as though no one has been able to help with this problem yet. I was able to get a list of devices in system preferences input/output. Now my problem is that whenever I tried to play anything with sound my sound card disconnects from vm settings with error: error in creating sound stream. sound is disconnecting. If I try to reconnect while the sound is still playing, i get the error: failed to connect virtual device. When I stop the playback, it will connect successfully and stayed connected until I try to play sound again.

Picko123

Picko123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Has anyone been able to fix this problem? I'm getting exactly the same symptoms running Lion 10.7.3 in vmware ws 8 on a Ubuntu 11.10; I can see a list of devices in System Perferences -> Sound but the first time I try to play a sound the VM sound card disconnects with the vm message "Error in creating sound stream". I turned on "Gather debugging info" in the advanced options on VM Workstation. When the sound disconnects the following is logged:

2012-05-05T09:00:12.188+10:00| vcpu-0| I120: SoundAlsaSetHardwareParams: Failed to set Alsa hardware parameter (snd_pcm_hw_params): Invalid argument
2012-05-05T09:00:12.188+10:00| vcpu-0| I120: Msg_Post: Warning
2012-05-05T09:00:12.188+10:00| vcpu-0| I120: [msg.sound.ErrorCreateStream] Error in creating sound stream. Sound is disconnected.
2012-05-05T09:00:12.188+10:00| vcpu-0| I120: ----------------------------------------

Picko123

Picko123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got sound working by commenting out the line sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio" from my .vmx file. It's pretty choppy at the moment, but there are several posts about tuning parameters pciSound.DAC2InterruptsPerSec and pciSound.playBuffer. Will try tweaking these now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy