[How To] Lenovo z370 (i3-2330m HD3000(8086 0116))

rockinron_1

120 posts in this topic

Well, just finished the guide, it feels excellent to have a triple boot set up,

I suggest you add a few things to the first post in case people have laptops with different hardware:

If you use an nvidia card, you will need to boot with PCIRootUID=0

And also that weird thing about the external monitor

thanks for the guide! :)

Post installation notes-

• Before booting OS X I had to set a root password- boot the USB

Goto Utilities

Terminal

resetpassword

• I had to remove grub from the MBR before installing chameleon

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1 (from my linux partition)

And after installing chameleon I had to copy that boot1h file

If you want to make a backup of your MBR before removing it (highly recommended)

dd if=/dev/sda of=/path/to/backup/mbr-backup bs=512 count=1

thanks for the support in this thread as well btw, Ill be sure to watch this in case anyone has similar problems I had

Ah I was leaning towards the hard drive boot record / partitioning being the problem.

External monitor note was added this afternoon (its had a pretty big refresh today including adding the dsdt to the extra folder - unedited so far but i'll be working on it in future).

I'll add the RootID fix as well. Since I don't have the nvidia card can I ask if the RoodID fix is a requirement to boot or to remove the external monitor requirement?

The root password thing is a new one on me.

Did you create a data partiton to point your home directories to? The triple boot setup is just impractical if data isn't in a shared location.

I'll update the nvidia thing in a bit.

I would actually lean towards hfs.

Either way your going to need to get (most likely buy) an NTFS driver for mac or a hfs driver for windows.

My recommended setup would be as follows (if your still on the 500GB HDD & use your head a bit regarding sizes - you know what you need):

60gb for OS X (mac software is small) (hfs)

75gb for windows (unless you intend on gaming then a bit more for the games) (ntfs)

40gb linux (you'll never fill this) (ext4)

and the rest in an extended partition (325gb) data (formatted either ntfs of hfs - if windows will be your primary os use ntfs, if mac will be your primary os use hfs) (I suggest you call this by whatever username you intend on using for os x)

This is my setup and i've hit no issues.

The easiest way to do it is use the os x installer to create the partition scheme, then install windows & update it to service pack 1 (can be issues doing this after installing os x)

Then install os x & linux (make sure linux bootloader is installed to the same partition as linux itself or it will overwrite chameleon).

Don't do anything apart from install the operating systems and the paragon drivers. Once you've got your basic setup fine with windows 7 @ sp1 then boot into OS X go to /users/*your user name* copy the folders in here to the data partition (music documents etc) then:

Go to system -> users & groups -> unlock it -> right click your username -> advanced settings -> change your home directory to the data partition.

Reboot and your OS X home partition should have moved to the data partition.

Now you can go into windows and right click your home folders (down the left hand side of explorer) click properties or whatever it is and point the folder path to the data partition.

and you can change your ubuntu folders using this guide (its easy i just can't be bothered writing it out):

http://www.howtogeek...dropbox-folder/

You can get the hfs / ntfs drivers from paragon here (check the promo offer to get access across everything - i've used them for a few month and can confirm there stability - they also offer trial versions if you don't want to pay to start with):

http://www.paragon-s...ml?affChecked=1

http://www.paragon-s...ntfs-linux-per/

EDIT: I assume your using the nvidia card in os x? Does the hdmi port work with my kexts / smbios or are you using the 8.3 smbios and ignoring the edited hd3000 frame buffer kext?

I was thinking AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

(mentioned on the previous page) was in the attachment but I've just double checked and it isn't so never mind that bit.

Basically for my i3 I need the FB kext editing plus the 8.2 smbios editing. However I believe for your i5 you don't need the FB kext and the 8.3 smbios should be fine.

Just to confirm you've got HDMI output working fine with the 8.3 smbios? - i'll update the guide again if so.

Also if you did install all the kexts then: I mention in the guide that the battery kexts can cause infrequent kernel panic so if you've installed those and you do get KPs I suggest there the ones you remove first.

update: Had a few kernel panics so I deleted the battery kexts (about a week ago) havent had a single one since.

Tried to remap the keyboard layout to the Z370 one, but OSX wont recognise the layout file I created, here it is if anybody wants to try it. Just place it in /library/preferences/keyboard layouts/ then go system prefs>user input> and it should show up

(I'll upload the file later today)

Hey guys,

I got myself a Z370 too. It's configuration is: i5, 8 GB RAM, Hitachi 500GB and nVidia graphics. The WiFi card is a Broadcom card, so I guess I have to use some other kexts.

But after reading all the posts in this thread, I got kinda confused (new to hackintosh) and got some question:

1. Should I install OS X from an original DVD / ISO or iatkos?

2. I'm having a Lion 10.7.4 VM running on Windows, can I use it for preparation?

3. How do I copy smbios.plist and the other stuff after installing OS X?

Thanks for help.

Regards

pflaume

1. iAtkos shouldn't be used, even if you ignore the fact it is illegal its a poor way of getting os x on your z370. If you want it to be legal then you should download a copy from the app store, if not i'm sure you can find a copy of the iso hanging about the internet.

2. Absolutely, i used u n i b e a s t which can be found with a quick google (you'll have to register to tonys site to download it), its a very simple guide to install it. Simply get your iso of os x inside your virtual machine along with the u n i b e a s t installer and install it to a usb stick.

3. I've attached an updated copy of my attachment for your i5. To install the kexts you simply drag and drop them onto kext utility. To install the extra folder you just copy it to the root of your OS X drive (i.e. in osx finder click "computer" then *name of OSX drive* and paste it there).

Now the only big(ish) issues at the moment are that the battery sensor can cause kernel panics (better not to install it), sleep doesn't work, and the keyboard isn't mapped to the os x layout so a couple of the keys are swapped around. I will be working on these issues in a few weeks time though.

When you install the kexts I suggest you ignore the following 3 (the battery ones and the ones for the atheros wi-fi card):

AppleACPIBatteryManager

Apple SmartBatteryManager

IO80211 family

If your not sure what you doing regarding the broadcom card if you can get the chipset model and the device id's I'll see if i can find a kext for it.

Given the success we've had with os x on this laptop before then if you want to give it a go we should get you up and running within a couple of hours.

Okay, I got a copy of OS X from the App Store (currently still downloading). Getting u n i b e a s t is the next step on my todo list.

How do I get the device id for my Broadcom WiFi card? Are those the hardware ids from the Win 7 device manager?

Those ids are the following:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_051B14E4&REV_01

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_051B14E4

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&CC_0280

EDIT: Do multitouch gestures work with the trackpad?

Multi-touch gestures don't work due to it being a PS2 trackpad rather than a USB one. If you want gestures then you'll need to buy an apple magic trackpad / mouse (I have both and there both great bits of kit)

Unfortunately googleing your wifi device id (14e4 4727) it seems apparent that your card wont work in os x. There 2 ways around this:

1. Get a usb adapter such as http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Adapters/WL167G_V3/#overview which will work with a network utility so you'll have to wait a few seconds for it to connect after you've booted. This means you don't have to change your card but it wont be seen as a native airport card (not really a problem just slightly annoying not having it managed by os x).

2. Change your wifi card to one like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Atheros-AR5B95-AR9285-802-11B-G-N-Half-Mini-PCI-E-Card-/300708491574?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item46039f7136 (any AR9285 or AR5416 card will do). Its a very simple process to change it and wont void your warranty.

Note: I've just edited the list of kexts not to install on my previous post so make sure you double check that.

A shame that the gestures not work :/

I just checked my mums Asus laptop, it has a Atheros AR9285 with the hardware id mentioned in your first post. I will put that in my Z370, so that wifi will work :) Hopefully the Z370 has no bios checks - my Ideapad U350 didn't start when i tried to use another wifi card, said it's not supported and lenovo support told me to get the old one back in.

I'll report after switching the cards and checking the kexts, as you mentioned.

Gestures have a button on the keyboard that does the same anyway. There nice but there only a gimmick.

I've swapped wifi cards about in my z370 with no issues so fingers crossed you should be ok.

Do you have access to an Ethernet connection? I've heard that the ar9285 will work on lion if its updated to 10.7.4; if you wouldn't mind updating via Ethernet first it would be useful knowledge on my behalf to know if the altered kext is no longer needed.

If not then when you install kexts you will also need to install the IO80211family one to get the ar9285 working (currently might mixed success with 802.11n but we should get it going if you have any issues)

I will try to install Lion 10.7.4 directly, so no need to update and I should see if AR9285 is supported out of the box. Do I need to install with PCIRootUID=0 because of the dedicated nvidia graphics?

I hope it all works, can't wait to use OS X on my lappy, it's a great OS.

Edit: Did you use ####### after installation? Do you use Chameleon Bootloader?

Edited by Alessandro17
Discussion of tonymac tools not allowed. Read the rules

Read my guide and you'll find the answer to your questions.

Everything you need except the u n i b e a s t installer is in the attachment.

And try it without the pcirootuid flag first, if the installer doesn't boot then try with it

I've read your guide again and just to make sure I understood everything I'll summarise that.

I use my VM to create a usb drive with u n i b e a s t and the marked kext's (excluding the one for WiFi). After that I reboot with the stick (if boot fails I'll try with PCIRootUID=0 as boot option) and install Lion. That's all?!

Yup, as I said it really isn't hard.

Make the u n i b e a s t installer. Boot it, install lion and boot into lion.

THEN you install the kexts & chameleon etc (i.e. at step 2 you have a working installation of lion on your z370).

Also as I'vementioned before I suggest you exclude the battery kexts as well

Okay, I'll try this when I get home from work.

Did you try Dual Boot OS X and Win 7? I would like to apply this to my Z370, but guides around the internet tell different ways to do that. Some say install OS X and Chameleon next Win 7 and other say partition your disk with OS X disk utility, then install Win 7 and at last OS X and Chameleon. How would you do that?