Hi there all... Thank you @ topicstarter for the nice how-to, I've read it a 100 times, and even printed it! I prepared everithing, and tried to install it on a second disk (disconnect the old 10.5.X-one)
However, I still dont have a working 10.6 dell gx620 after a 10-12 installs.
I had a 10.5.X working (I think Kalyway, but dont remember right), but it went broke (cant boot anymore) while trying to install 10.6 on another disk.
The problem I have:
- when booted the nawcomm (I have a P4HT, not a dual core), and press F5 he can't start reading the DVD (dual layer burned image)
- when using other install methods (iATKOS, Hazzard-distro, ..), some don't finish, other say the dvd is not complete, ...
- when I use the SnowLeo distro (the only one I can finish the install) there is a kernel panic (IATAOSFamily ?)
So, what would i like to know :
- I need to burn the dvd on a windows xp-system. Do I swap the dvd-unit, so the burning an reading is done with the same unit ?
- anybody has burning guidelines to burn that 10.6.3 image to a DL-DVD (what program and settings to use). Do I need disk-at-once or track-at-once? My writing program said it did successfully write the image, but there was a problem closing the session.
- how can I test the abovementionned DVD to check if it is fully readable, bootable (if needed), and closed correctly.
- a howto, what options (kext, kernels, ..) I need to select on that SnowLeo-distro --> this is my alternative to the howto of the topicstarter.
- my dvd is a PATA unit, the harddisk can be SATA or PATA (I have both, so pls say what has the best chances)
Please, It's starting to drive me mad. I started saturday morning te update process
Stock GX620 (3Ghz HT cpu), but with added RAM (3gig now, instead of 1gig)
The DVD-drive is pata.