Dell Studio 1557 + eGPU Discussion Thread

kizwan

64 posts in this topic

If anyone successfully getting sleep to work on this notebook please post here thank you. I already tried a couple of methods but they appeared doesn't work, unfortunately.

When checking in the log file, Lion does reported sleep is successful. However, immediately after the notebook is power off (entered to sleep/hibernate) it powered back on again but with blank screen & seems unresponsive. I can't remote access because ethernet card no longer have an IP or already stop working due to system crash. The log also doesn't contain any information why the system immediately wake-up after putting it to sleep.

hi kizwan!

I once managed to fix the sleep issue (I give up of OS X on Dell)

I dont remember well anymore, but I know you need to apply a patch in DSDT in the EHC1 and EHC2 devices (dont know if this is exactlly the correct one but it is something like that):

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x0f)

{

"device-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x3a, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00 //the values below

},

"AAPL,clock-id", // property needed for sleep support

Buffer (One)

{

0x0a

},

"built-in",

Buffer ()

{

0x00

},

"device_type", //not sure it is useful

Buffer (0x05)

{

"EHCI"

},

"AAPL,current-available",

0x04B0,

"AAPL,current-extra",

0x02BC,

"AAPL,current-in-sleep", // to solve a problem with sleep $

0x03E8,

Buffer (0x01)

{

0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Then you will have a sleep on power button -> Sleep, or Apple logo -> Sleep.

And if you wanna have a sleep on lid close you need to change back that 0 into 9 in ATI4600Controller (features bit) because system needs to recognize Dell screen as internal (but then you get wierd colours problem).

Try this and give us your results. Maybe you get something working

Good luck

Bye

Mario

Oh, yes!

I could not wake the system with touchpad or keyboard but only with lid up or power button.

After wake I lost touchpad. Keyboard worked fine.

Edited by crowebster

Hi crowebster,

Thank you very much. After added the code in DSDT (EHC1 & EHC2), notebook able to enter sleep mode. However, when wake up, the monitor is blank & system not responsive. Do you remember how you fixed this?

there is also a DSDT fix that goes in device M86 (graphics part)

dont remember any more

try reading threads about sleep, wake, DSDT fixes here on forum

this is how I found out

DSDT is the way to go but it is a HELL to understand it

good luck to you

Guide's working for me so far but I'm not able to install Lion with the prepared USB Stick, getting this error: "This copy of the Install Mac OS X Lion application is damaged..." Followed your guide exactly, all files were at the right place - tried it twice now using the original 10.7 release from appstore. :(

EDIT: Ignore the specs in my sig, not trying to install on that pc with the guide ;)

If you double click the Lion installer in the prepared USB stick, it will throw that error. You should boot with the prepared USB stick to install Lion.

Basically, there are two ways to install Lion:-

1. If you already have Snow Leopard 10.6.6 - 10.6.8, to install Lion, just need to launch the installer from original DMG file.

2. Install Lion using the prepared USB stick - boot the notebook with it. This USB stick is useful if you want to re-install Lion later.

Actually that's the way I tried it, booting with the USB stick - the bootloader starts, I select the prepared USB which boots as it should. From there on I can format the HDD with diskutil. But when I select "Install new Lion" in the last step I get the error.

I know what went wrong, forgot to copy the packages folder

After the restoration, open the restored partition, navigate to System/Installation, delete the Packages link and create a folder with the same name, Packages.
Open Terminal and run the command:
open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages
Copy the files to the Packages folder created previously.

no problem^^ but the graphics still doesn't work for me, getting errors that the kext executable (or something like that, don't remember atm) can not be loaded... I'll add a screenshot tomorrow, maybe it's easier to fix than I think ;)

For works perfect sound and graphics what version of snow leopard i need to install 10.6.6 or 10.6.8? Because with lion dont function the sound no? Thank you very much friends its some difficult for me do this

• 1 year later...

Hi Kizwan,

How to make OSX find eGPU?
I have an ATI HD5800 card as an eGPU, but it cannot be detected by Mac OSX 10.8.5 (mountain lion)
But I can get it work on Win 8 (EFI mode).
My hardware:
Saphire ATI HD 5800 (1GB) Graphic card.
Macbook pro 2011 early-type
Vidock 4 plus
Bplus TH05 thunderbolt Expresscard