Dell Studio 1557 + eGPU Discussion Thread

kizwan

64 posts in this topic

I can see a lot of stuf when I run dmesg immediately after boot. You might want to try that.

1.6 GHz is normal frequency for i7-720QM. So, the detection is correct. Turbo Boost only kicked in when there is demand for it but it is limited by thermal design power, current limit, power limit, number of cores active & temperature. If any of these limits reached, CPU frequency will throttle down until they under the limits again. Regarding the "TurboRatios initialized 1169", it is what the name said, is Turbo Ratio. This is how to calculate Turbo Boost:-

Intel Core i7-720QM
Turbo Ratio 1/1/6/9
- The first number is the multiple of 133.33 MHz supported when four cores are active,
- The second number is the multiple of 133.33 MHz supported when three cores active,
- The third number is the multiple of 133.33 MHz supported when two cores active,
- The fourth number is the multiple of 133.33 MHz supported when one active core.
Normal operating frequency is 1.6 GHz = 1600 MHz
* With 3 or 4 cores active: 1600 + 1 x 133.33 = 1600 + 133.33 ≃ 1733.33 (1.733 GHz)
* With 2 cores active: 1600 + 6 x 133.33 = 1600 + 799.98 ≃ 2399.98 (2.400 GHz)
* With only 1 core active: 1600 + 9 x 133.33 = 1600 + 1199.97 ≃ 2799.97 (2.800 GHz)

i7-720QM when entered LFM mode, when there is light load, CPU frequency will go down to 933 MHz.

Regarding the bluetooth, it is exactly what I got on mine. The bluetooth is actually seperate device, not integrated in wireless card.

Feb 3 14:18:31 dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in AppleHDAWidget at line 2963 goto Exit
Feb 3 14:18:31 dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in AppleHDAWidget at line 2043 goto Exit

This is known error. I can't get rid of it. I don't know exactly what is the source of the error. I mean I know it is AppleHDA error but exactly what (e.g. ConfigData? PathMap?) I don't know.

The volume key on the keyboard is known issue too, since Snow Leopard. I use the Mac volume slider instead. I also use external keyboard which also have volume key. On the external keyboard, volume keys works. Our internal keyboard required ApplePS2 or VoodooPS2 to work. So, I'm not surprise some feature doesn't work. :)

Thanks a lot Kizwan! I had some problem getting everything to work but it works now, I'm going to update to 10.7.2 and hopefully that works (I know 10.7.3 is out). BTW, I don't know if the replacemend 64 bit kexts you linked work for anyone else, but they make OS X unbootable for me.

EDIT

Instant kernel panic after installing 10.7.2

Hi all!

Just to inform everyone my update to 10.7.3 went OK except update brings new ATI4600Controller.kext and AppleHDA.kext so I had to do Shrike patch again and replace HDA kext. Now on 10.7.3 with Shrike patch QE/CI, internal and VGA displays are working fine. I don't have HDMI device to test that port.

My system has these kexts:

FakeSMC.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

ATI4600Controller.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext containing Keyboard, Mouse and Trackpad kexts

AppleACPIPlatform2.kext

RealtekRTL81xx.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

and

DSDT.aml

Kizwan, a wired situation happening to me... I still get CMOS reset! I am using your DSDT but found in it no fix for reset. So I applied the fix but still getting reset. But every other time! Some time it is OK for about 10-20 boots and then it gets reset!

And temperatures are sometime around 65-75 degrees Celsius only for Safari web surfing! Is it to high? Running Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3 Trial temp got up to 95 on all cores/threads.

Still no sleep/wake! Read somewhere it has something to do with FireWire preventing sleep.

"FireWire conservation disabled" line in verbose boot

Maybe you knew that but...

Anyway thanks.

Bye

Mario

Hi all!

Just to inform everyone my update to 10.7.3 went OK except update brings new ATI4600Controller.kext and AppleHDA.kext so I had to do Shrike patch again and replace HDA kext. Now on 10.7.3 with Shrike patch QE/CI, internal and VGA displays are working fine. I don't have HDMI device to test that port.

My system has these kexts:

FakeSMC.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

ATI4600Controller.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext containing Keyboard, Mouse and Trackpad kexts

AppleACPIPlatform2.kext

RealtekRTL81xx.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

and

DSDT.aml

Kizwan, a wired situation happening to me... I still get CMOS reset! I am using your DSDT but found in it no fix for reset. So I applied the fix but still getting reset. But every other time! Some time it is OK for about 10-20 boots and then it gets reset!

And temperatures are sometime around 65-75 degrees Celsius only for Safari web surfing! Is it to high? Running Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3 Trial temp got up to 95 on all cores/threads.

Still no sleep/wake! Read somewhere it has something to do with FireWire preventing sleep.

Anyway thanks.

Bye

Mario

If you have the time and are willing to, could you upload your kexts because I'm having the same problem with 10.7.3 as with 10.7.2, I patch ATI4600controller.kext and reinstall AppleHDA.kext but it still makes OS X unbootable for me so it might be another kext I have installed.

Thanks a lot Kizwan! I had some problem getting everything to work but it works now, I'm going to update to 10.7.2 and hopefully that works (I know 10.7.3 is out). BTW, I don't know if the replacemend 64 bit kexts you linked work for anyone else, but they make OS X unbootable for me.

EDIT

Instant kernel panic after installing 10.7.2

I use 10.7.2 combo update to update from 10.7.0 to 10.7.2. Did you use the same installer? Also need to remember after installing the 10.7.2 update, do not reboot yet. You need to patch ATI4600Controller.kext before reboot. If not you will have problem booting into Lion.

I usually after deleting/editing/installing new kexts in /S/L/E, I'll make sure to run these command immediately in terminal:-

sudo -s
touch /System/Library/Extensions ; kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel ; kextcache -system-caches

Anyway thanks.

Bye

Mario

Hmmm...Probably something else in play here. I didn't use Mac OS X much, so I didn't realized the CMOS reset issue. The DSDT already have RTC fixed, exactly the same I use in Snow Leopard. Probably Lion need different fixed. I'll keep diggin' to find the fixed for this issue.

I usually got 65C to 70C while browsing. Even macbook also running hot. I never get higher than 75C-80C. I don't have final cut pro to test but I have Left 4 Dead 2. I'll try that later.

That is not true. Even real mac also get "FireWire conservation disabled". Don't believe to any baseless claims.

(P/S: Posting in this forum is really PITA! Most of the time I can't reply to any post in one click. I have to refresh & click quote multiple time before I can post anything.)

I use 10.7.2 combo update to update from 10.7.0 to 10.7.2. Did you use the same installer? Also need to remember after installing the 10.7.2 update, do not reboot yet. You need to patch ATI4600Controller.kext before reboot. If not you will have problem booting into Lion.

I usually after deleting/editing/installing new kexts in /S/L/E, I'll make sure to run these command immediately in terminal:-

sudo -s
touch /System/Library/Extensions ; kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel ; kextcache -system-caches

I know, I did all that but it's still not working for me so like i said it may be another kext. I'll wait and see if crowebster uploads his kexts and go from there to see if I still have issues updating.

@crowebster,

Silly me! :) Sorry, it turn out I didn't apply RTC fixed in DSDT. This is original RTC in DSDT:-

Device (RTC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                   Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0070,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0070,             // Range Maximum
                           0x01,               // Alignment
                           0x08,               // Length
                           )
                   })
                   Name (BUF1, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x08,               // Length
                           )
                   })
                   Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       If (LGreaterEqual (OSYS, 0x07D1))
                       {
                           If (HPAE)
                           {
                               Return (BUF1)
                           }
                           Else
                           {
                               Return (BUF0)
                           }
                       }
                       Else
                       {
                           Return (BUF0)
                       }
                   }
               }

For RTC fixed, need to change the "// Length" from 0x08 to 0x02:-

Device (RTC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                   Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x02,               // Length
                           )
                   })
                   Name (BUF1, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x02,               // Length
                           )
                   })
                   Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       If (LGreaterEqual (OSYS, 0x07D1))
                       {
                           If (HPAE)
                           {
                               Return (BUF1)
                           }
                           Else
                           {
                               Return (BUF0)
                           }
                       }
                       Else
                       {
                           Return (BUF0)
                       }
                   }
               }

I just updated our DSDT. I added RTC, LPC & SBUS fixed in this new DSDT. LPC fixed allow AppleLPC to be loaded & this make CPU run much cooler (see here for detail information).

You can find new DSDT (DSDT Update 05022012.zip) at post #2, the same place where you can find Extra.zip. In DSDT Update 05022012.zip, there are two DSDT; 1) dsdt_witheGPU.aml & 2) dsdt_withouteGPU.aml. You will need dsdt_withouteGPU.aml if you don't have eGPU.

I ran Cinebench benchmark software & I got reasonable CPU temperatures (room temperature is 32C & I'm using cooling pad). One of the screenshots also show all cores/threads are fully utilized which show mutithreaded software will be able to utilized i7-720QM just fine.

post-125711-0-14672900-1328442085_thumb.png

post-125711-0-41767400-1328442176_thumb.png

Hi BobNL131!

I have packed and uploaded an archive of my kexts and miscs that I use on my Dell to my iDisc Public folder.

You can go to this link and download it.

https://public.me.com/mario.kusnjer

You will find inside nine (9) kexts listed in my previous post, Extra folder with Boot, SMBios plist's, now old DSDT (you can get new from Kizwan's post) and in root folder there is boot file, Champlist.app (GUI for Boot.plist, SMBios,plist. boot and kernel) and Chameleon Installer (after install just replace stuff in /Extra folder with stuff from my Extra folder and use Champlist.app to install kexts and run Rebuild cache).

If any questions or problems, do ask.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Bye

Mario

I updated Make the Lion Disk Bootable section. I forgot to mention that I rename IONetworkingFamily.kext to IONetworkingLegacy.kext in the /Extra/Extensions/, before moving all the kexts into /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. This way it will not overwrite the original IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E/.

@BobNL131, if you put extra Extensions in /Extra/ folder, make sure you do not use UseKernelCache=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist file.

Hi all!

To share with you some weird findings

So I unplugged power adapter from laptop to see how long will the battery last since temperature is around 75 deg C and fan is running all the time and display brightness is maxed

So after less then an hour battery is about to die when I see a LED blinking in a way that was kind a known to me from before (here comes the punchline...) but I let it die completely

Then I plugged adapter back in and powered laptop on when I get this message on the screen:

"WARNING ! Battery can't be identified. This system will not be able to charge it!"

So I was trying to make it start charging but no way! When charger is plugged in Lion (VoodooBattery.kext or AppleACPIPlatform2.kext) is saying that battery is 100% full and it is not charging!

I decided to delete both kext's!

When rebooted no way to get info on battery in OS but LED is saying it is charging!

Think I'm gonna stay without those kext's until better solution

Learned something new

P.S. Kizwan - this is the model of my wifi card: BCM943224HMS

Read through all forums and no success making it work

On one forum interesting line saying that kext is seeing the card but PCI bus for some reason does not power it on (there is a line in plist that says: "<key>TruePowerOff</key></true>") and solution should be checking IOPCIFamily.kext or similar (depending which one is responsible for PCI bus devices).

Bye

Mario

I found how to get Lion AppleHDA.kext to work. I found in some Chinese forum mention that we need to patch AppleHDA binary; search & replace all occurrence of 8319D411 with 00000000. Tried it & it does work. I already updated this information in post #2.

I found how to get Lion AppleHDA.kext to work. I found in some Chinese forum mention that we need to patch AppleHDA binary; search & replace all occurrence of 8319D411 with 00000000. Tried it & it does work. I already updated this information in post #2.

Maybe a stupid question but what are the advantages of Lion AppleHDA vs Snow Leopard AppleHDA?

@crowebster

Dell's battery doesn't like it when you let it discharge completely, I had a Toshiba before the Dell Studio 1557 and I let the battery die regularly and it still worked fine after 2,5 years, but the battery of my Dell was completely dead after the third complete discharge.

Hi Kizwan!

Tried to patch Lion AppleHDA.kext with no success!

I get these lines:

Feb 12 02:32:05 Dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "false == codecFound" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 1449 goto handler

Feb 12 02:32:05: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Feb 12 02:32:05 Dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 2037 goto Exit

Feb 12 02:32:05 Dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 207 goto Exit

Feb 12 02:32:05 Dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "false == me->completeStart ()" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 996 goto Exit

And no sound!

Did all steps in #2 post but no go!

Don't have acces to AppleHDA.kext from 10.7.3 - but 10.7.2 should do just the same, right?

Help?!

Thanks!

P.S.

Could you send me materials or links explaining ATI (Shrike, Peregrine,..) connection table (what part of hex code is for what)?

Bye

Mario

Maybe a stupid question but what are the advantages of Lion AppleHDA vs Snow Leopard AppleHDA?

Good question but when possible, always use latest version.

Hi Kizwan!

Tried to patch Lion AppleHDA.kext with no success!

I get these lines:

Feb 12 02:32:05 Dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "false == codecFound" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 1449 goto handler

Feb 12 02:32:05: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Feb 12 02:32:05 Dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 2037 goto Exit

Feb 12 02:32:05 Dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 207 goto Exit

Feb 12 02:32:05 Dell kernel[0]: Sound assertion "false == me->completeStart ()" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 996 goto Exit

And no sound!

Did all steps in #2 post but no go!

Don't have acces to AppleHDA.kext from 10.7.3 - but 10.7.2 should do just the same, right?

Help?!

Thanks!

P.S.

Could you send me materials or links explaining ATI (Shrike, Peregrine,..) connection table (what part of hex code is for what)?

Bye

Mario

It should work with any Lion AppleHDA.kext

Regarding ATI, you need to read these threads. Both are related with each other:-

bcc9's guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=249642

mucha's guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252061

Do you guys have any issues with the screen not waking up properly sometimes? When I close the screen (I have diabled all sleep related things since sleep doesn't work) but sometimes when I open up the screen again it doesn't wake (I don't know if it's just the screen that freezes or if it's the entire laptop).

Also I have a feeling that the laptop runs hotter with OS X than with Windows, do you guys have that too?

Everything else is running fine with Crowebster's kexts, well except Wifi which sometimes requires a reboot to get it to work but I guess you can't have everything. :)

EDIT: BTW, QE/CI support is buggy for me, I accidentally opend up Chess and the computer completely froze, after that I tried CoD4, which froze as well, Silverlight websites don't load, even with hardware acceleration disabled, do you guys have the same issues?

Hi!

Yes I also noticed that problems.

My guess is that our ATI doesn't support OpenCL and OpenGL 3.0 (and up) which some applications require

OpenGL Extensions Viewer showed some info and some tests froze laptop

Chess does it too

Some OpenGL sample apps from Xcode also

It does runs hot. Just for Safari browsing (of this forum) mine goes form 67 to 75 degrees C

Regarding sleep/wake when lid closed display is still on and stays on

It goes in power saving mode (set in Energy Preferences) after 10 min but it stays on (except that Screen Saver doesn't move - frozez) but on key down or mouse button press it restores to desktop fine

Still more work but I am satisfied for now

Bye

Mario

I can confirm QE/CI problem. I will try to use 10.6.7 ATI kexts & will let you guys know later. If it is unsuccessful too, I think I will wipe out OS X & just use windows. I don't have problem if I use eGPU but I also would like internal LCD support. I can run Chess using eGPU without any problem.

I can run OpenGL Extension Viewer test using internal LCD (not using eGPU) without any problem though.

post-125711-0-54965800-1329098147_thumb.png

post-125711-0-78303700-1329118546_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

I know i'm kind of late, but good work kiz. I got everything to work according to your guide (but had to change a few things). Everything works for me except for the few known problems. (Sleep, OpenGL 3.0 and the temps are kind of high. Have to sit it on a 16" fan to keep it at 55-60 degrees, Cinebench runs it to 99 degrees. Feel like I'm going to fry this laptop one day.)

My iHack Studio X 1557 Specs (Lion 10.7.3)

Intel Core i7 720QM

6GB DDR3 1333Mhz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512MB

Dell Wireless 1397 (BCM4312)

Seagate 320GB HDD

WLED 1920x1080 15.6"

Dell 968w AIO Printer (never thought i would get my printer to work)

• 1 month later...

Somebody can say me where can i download the file kabyllionv4.diff im searching in the post but i dont know where can i download.... the file for patch im noob about hackintosh but i have working a lot of hours my computer is a dell 1557 i7 hdd 320 gb , 4 gb ram ddr33 and graphic HD 4570 im spanish but i talk some english thank you very much

Somebody can say me where can i download the file kabyllionv4.diff im searching in the post but i dont know where can i download.... the file for patch im noob about hackintosh but i have working a lot of hours my computer is a dell 1557 i7 hdd 320 gb , 4 gb ram ddr33 and graphic HD 4570 im spanish but i talk some english thank you very much

It's in this post: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1890.0.html

But in order to see the files that are attached to the post you have to sign up.