Wishing to know how to have a kext load after everything else

Kiefers

11 posts in this topic

Hi all and thanks for any help in advance.

I am wanting to know if there is away to have a kext load after everything else is loaded into memory.

I have notice when I am booting VoodooHDA sometimes crashes the system and this is very early in the boot stage. This does not happen all the time but it has gotten annoying and I would like to be able to fix this.

Please take into account I am a NOOB in this area but I am willing to learn. After all I was able to get my Gateway NV57H44u up and running Lion 10.7.1 with everything working...

Thanks,

Kiefer

You might be able to write a little bash script using the kextload command.

Something like:

kextload Extra/ExtraKexts/ExtraKextToBeLoaded.kext

exit

You could then put this in your login programs and it would be loaded when you boot into the GUI.

JamesLittler,

The way I executed the script may have had something to do with the panic. I executed the script after I was at the desktop and I now realize this was a no, no.

I guess my next question is where would I place the script to execute properly during the start up process. As I noticed a marked improvement in the over all boot time and the system was a lot more responsive without the kext loaded when I did a test run without it...

Like I said, I am a NOOB and I really know just enough probably to be dangerous to my own system.

Though the journey of all of this has been a fun one....

Sometimes VoodooHDA causes a panic because it conflicts with AppleHDA. AppleHDA will sometimes load even when it doesn't work with your sound hardware, IIRC it will load if you have a HDEF device in your DSDT for example.

Either delete AppleHDA.kext or try to find out if there is a disabler.kext for it out there somewhere. It's better if you can use a disabler, otherwise you'll get kernel panics again once you install the next Lion update, which will of course reinstall AppleHDA.

Multibeans,

Thanks for the info. I have my video card which is setup during boot by Chameleon. My video card is a Intel HD using the Chameleon boot method with full native resolution.

I checked my extentions folder and the AppleHDA was not in the folder and I checked my Extras folder and there is no instance there none the less I have installed the Disabler.kext just to be on the safe side.

Right now I am trying to figure out where to place my bash script and do some more testing with the script idea.

I will report later as to what happens...

Thanks Again All...

Happy Holidays All,

I am leaving this morning for the inlaws until next week. I haven't had a chance to do anything thing with the computer the past few days.

I will be back at things after we return...

Happy Holidays....

Kiefer

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all & Happy New Year,

After getting back from the holidays I have done some more work with trying to load the kext. I have had no luck at present day.

I have tried launch daemon with creating the whole plist thing and nothing is working. I think I am going to back burner this until a later date. Since I have downgraded the VoodooHDA.kext for my sound and along with upgrading memory to 8G I have not noticed the crashing when the system boots is not happening. Also the other thing which maybe helping is I am using the -f flag during boot. This may take a few seconds longer but I can live with it.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Every One,

Good news to report I have finally solved the kext problem I have been having with VoodooHDA.kext loading and causing a kernel panic during normal boot and load of all extension. I created a script and placed it in /etc/rc.local with the kextload command and pointed it to where I have the extension stored. I also had to change the ownership of the file back to root:wheel and now I have what I was looking for... :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: A normal boot with no kp's.... And my sound is working beautifully...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i also have the voodooHDA panic sometimes on startup. sometimes it will start first time, sometimes 2nd or even 3rd.

the sound always works when started but so its just annoying really.

did the script just contain something like

kextload /Extra/ExtraKexts/VoodooHDA.kext

exit

as suggested above?

while searching for solution for this problem i did notice this new kext http://www.osx86.net/view/2383-vodoohda.kext.html

i will try that also or is that what you have?