{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

@DreamCatcher

Thanks for your help!

I did follow the steps you told me but still no success. My Dell has a built in Nvidia 525m card and Intel HD 3000 which works with Optimus. I think your machine is without the Nvidia card. I wasn't able to delete the fifth line

:

It came back itself after saving. Could you upload your edited kext?

• Like 1

thanks ,all for your feedback

First of all,if you faced the problem that switchresx tells you your custom resolution not installed

even after reboot,then you need to completely uninstall switchresx from your system and reinstall it again.This can be accomplished by the following steps:

First open switchresx then go to statu bar select switchresx menu then select uninstall . and for compete uninstallation go to the following steps (if you did not find any of these files ,then its just deleted by the uninstallation process).

1-Right click your finder icon in dock ,select Go to Folder then copy an past the following address

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides then arrange items by date modified and select the last modified one (normally it will be the first folder upside) then open that folder and delete its content

2-Right click your finder icon in dock ,select Go to Folder then copy an past the following address:

/Library/Preferences/ then delete the file com.apple.windowserver.plist

3-Right click your finder icon in dock ,select Go to Folder then copy an past the following address:

/Users/put your account name here/Library/Preferences/ByHost folder then delete the file

com.apple.windowserver.XXXXX.plist the xxxxx are numbers that different for every one.

4-Right click your finder icon in dock ,select Go to Folder then copy an past the following address:

/Users/put your account name here/Library/Preferences then delete any file starts with fr.madrau

5- Reinstall switchresx then create your custom resolution ,save,reboot

Hello, an easy and effective method to uninstall without having to perform all these steps is using the application in formaautomática AppZapper which makes the whole operation. http://www.appzapper.com/

regards

• Like 2

@Mohamed Khairy

Thanks for making a new guide for all the n5110 users. I just need to know how do I customize my DSDT.aml for clover to use VGA? And if i do it then will i be able to use both VGA and LVDS of my laptop. I have Intel and Nvidia graphics.

Hi mohsin000

My laptop aspect :

DELL INSPIRON 15R N5110

INTEL CORE I5_2430M @2.4 Ghz TURBO BOOST UP TO 3Ghz

INTEL HD3000 &NVEDIA GT525M 1GB RAM

4GB DDR3 RAM

I just USED Mohamed Khairy NEW BIOS MODE WITH MY PATCHED AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.KEXT & Switchresx app

everything got like charm !!!

VEG connector works flawlessly with full control and switching between the to screens and also without any freezing or artifacts on any of the tow screens

just update to 10.8.2 the flash your bios with bios mode at the first post guide then install switchresx app

so you could then apply the patch

I will attach the patch

hope it works with you <_<

CREDITS TO MODGLIANI CREATING THE SCRIPT

Here is the folder containing the scripts created by MODGLIANI this folder also contains my already patched

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.KEXT

First use it your aspect like mine so it should work with you :

1-backup your original kext

go to /system/library/kextentions/ and copy

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.KEXT to your desktop

2- copy the patched

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.KEXT to /system/library/extentions/ and check replace

3- open desk

utility app then choose the system partition (that contains your installation of mountain lion ) then check Repaire Desk Permessions

4-Restart your mac and install Switchresx app

Patch_HD3000_ML.zip

@DreamCatcher

Thanks for your help!

I did follow the steps you told me but still no success. My Dell has a built in Nvidia 525m card and Intel HD 3000 which works with Optimus. I think your machine is without the Nvidia card. I wasn't able to delete the fifth line

:

It came back itself after saving. Could you upload your edited kext?

Okay well here is my edited kext http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2jjkav2bjnqkowu

@Mohamed Khairy

I did a fresh install of 10.8.2 and followed your new guide but still VGA is not getting detected. I also noticed that touchpad is not working properly. I think it can be fixed by editing mouse speed settings in config.plist

@nanotech

I knew about SMbios 8.1but nothing is happening. I now have installed clover and still VGA is not working!