Dockbar is gone, Finder is AWOL.

BullfrogProd

4 posts in this topic

iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 build, AMD processor

I did it when this iPC build first came out, so that would maybe be a couple of years ago? Consequently, much of the technical memories and install factoids have been wiped from my mental hard disk.

A few months ago, I got a kernal panic and rebooted. When it came back up, my OSX build had a very dibilitating condition. It's been like this ever since.

- The dock bar is gone.

- Any folders, disk images, and .dmg files on my desktop have no visible icons, though the names are still there.

- Any attempts to open any folders, drives, images on the desktop - basically anything that would open in a finder window - does not work.

- Also, the finder is completely gone. So, like, no finder. I run my applications from the Recent Items in the top-right corner Apple menu and also via Spotlight. It's hilarious. This is no way to live.

I figure the best way to fix it would be to reinstall OSX, but it's hard to evacuate my files and documents without a finder. It's also hard to install new programs that would help me develop workarounds.

It's not like I've been working in this impossible state this whole time, the machine has a separate drive that I have XP installed on. But sometimes I need something on my mac drive and it would be quite handy if the thing would work.

Thoughts? Help? Please?

• 4 weeks later...