34 replies to this topic

XaserIII

XaserIII

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Donk, fo rthe reply,

unfortunately, this didn't help at all, eventhough I installed that app and changed energy settings. Could it help to make vmware log debugging information? I can't believe that it's due to the processor, as I have a normal i5 which is actually the one a normal Mac uses as well.

Xaser

simontam0

simontam0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I too have the same symptoms as everyone else, sluggish video on upper half, better on the lower half.

I wonder if the issue is similar to what others are reporting about video perf on vmware 8 in general. check this thread out:
http://communities.v...6...15&tstart=0

Still no solution from what I've read.

sirmasterboy

sirmasterboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

There has always been a know problem with the Energy settings in Mac OS X and VMware. You should always go into the Energy settings and set everything to never sleep. Also install the Caffeine app and make sure it is enabled. Don't worry it won't affect the host as VMware will independently monitor idle states in the guest.

Can you now see what the performance is like?

Also make sure you give the VM enough memory and the SVGA adapter has a reasonable amount of VRAM associated with it. For Lion you really need minimum of 2048K memory, anything less and I have seen performance problems on Workstation 8 and ESXi 5.

Thanks for more suggestions.

I set all the energy settings to never sleep, etc, and installed and ran caffeine. Still no luck. I have tried 1-4 cores on my VM as well as 1, 2, 3, and 4GB of ram with no effect on performance whatsoever.

I have also ran my VMSvga with 32mb ram like Zenith suggested as well as the full 120mb with no effect either.

Finally I have also copied my virtual machine to my laptop with completely different hardware and a intel core 2 processor with VT tech. I still get the same slowness there in Workstation 8.

I really think it's a video card problem and not anything to do with ram or CPU. I also really think it's a VMWare 8 problem as it works so great in 7 on both of my computers.

Donk or Zenith, would you be willing to download my VM and try it yourself to rule out guest/vm configuration issues?

Does everyone that isn't having performance issues have an AMD video card? Because it looks like everyone with a problem is using NVidia.

Thanks again

*EDIT*

OK, how do you guys like this one:

When I edit my Lion VM and uncheck "Accelerate 3D graphics" in the Display device and boot it up, I get the same exact sluggish performance as when it's checked. Clearly 3D acceleration just isn't working for me in Workstation 8.

Nemes

Nemes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks for the advice Zenith432, but as with everyone else it hasn't changed anything. VMWare seems to be purposely disabling all hardware acceleration and running it in software regardless of how the VM is configured. Which means the problem probably isn't Lion.

You said hardware acceleration is working for you. What GPU do you have and what drivers are you using? I'm wondering if perhaps VMware blacklisted certain hardware/driver combinations if they were causing problems.

EDIT: Eureka!

I was browsing the VMWare forums and came across this gem: http://communities.v...6...5&tstart=15

ps/ If multiple WS instances are not convenient then based on all the intel to date switching to console view, hitting F8 twice (to display and then un-display the thumbnail view) and then returning from console view isn't too much overhead to recover either. Learning to execute this sequence of steps quickly will also cover the resume from suspend use case.

Following those instructions fixed the problem. Now Lion zips right along - I'm not sure if it's quite as fast as VMWare 7, but it's certainly fast enough.

1) Switch to Console view (View-> Console View)
2) Turn on VM thumbnails (F8)
3) Turn off VM thumbnails (F8 again)
4) Switch back to your view of choice and enjoy

sirmasterboy

sirmasterboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Thanks for the advice Zenith432, but as with everyone else it hasn't changed anything. VMWare seems to be purposely disabling all hardware acceleration and running it in software regardless of how the VM is configured. Which means the problem probably isn't Lion.

You said hardware acceleration is working for you. What GPU do you have and what drivers are you using? I'm wondering if perhaps VMware blacklisted certain hardware/driver combinations if they were causing problems.

EDIT: Eureka!

I was browsing the VMWare forums and came across this gem: http://communities.v...6...5&tstart=15

Following those instructions fixed the problem. Now Lion zips right along - I'm not sure if it's quite as fast as VMWare 7, but it's certainly fast enough.

1) Switch to Console view (View-> Console View)
2) Turn on VM thumbnails (F8)
3) Turn off VM thumbnails (F8 again)
4) Switch back to your view of choice and enjoy

You are the winner!

I can confirm these steps make my Workstation 8 work just as fast as it did in Workstation 7. I knew it had to be some sort of Workstation 8 bug.

Thubb

Thubb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

You are the winner!

I can confirm these steps make my Workstation 8 work just as fast as it did in Workstation 7. I knew it had to be some sort of Workstation 8 bug.

Confirmed, unfortunately you have to repeat these steps everytime you power on the guest OS :)

XaserIII

XaserIII

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
WoW Thanks! Even though I think now just as fast as the old Workstation 7 but definitely a huuuge improvement!

Thanks,
Xaser

iMave.23

iMave.23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Thank you so much! On my PC now there is no difference between VMWare 7 and 8.

Thank you also to Zenith432 for the updated driver!

iMave.23

luckman212

luckman212

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
What a weird problem. I just installed WS 8 and my old snow leopard 10.6.8 now has the slow video issue. Is there any way to automate the "fix" without having to do the F8 trick each boot?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

What a weird problem. I just installed WS 8 and my old snow leopard 10.6.8 now has the slow video issue. Is there any way to automate the "fix" without having to do the F8 trick each boot?

Should only have to do it once and leave thumbnails off.

luckman212

luckman212

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Well - it will survive a "warm boot" of just the vm but on my system the slow laggy video comes back every time I exit VMware & then restart the OSX vm.

luckman212

luckman212

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Has anyone found a permanent fix for this yet? Is this just a VMware bug that cannot be worked around?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Has anyone found a permanent fix for this yet? Is this just a VMware bug that cannot be worked around?

I believe it will require a fix in code and released when the first maintenance release is ready.

DeathGuy

DeathGuy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can confirm that this works 100%

Lag is gone. Performance is improved SIGNIFICANTLY.

vsbalint

vsbalint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

I can confirm that this works 100%

Lag is gone. Performance is improved SIGNIFICANTLY.

Hi. Just a question... I read that Workstation 8 emulates hardware accelerated graphics card. Could it mean that we could finally have QE/CI support??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy