Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

CreateFile failed Access is denied.

Do you have a VM running?

No VM's running and made sure it stopped all VMware services. Looks like I just need a fixed \x64\vmware-vmx.exe

Hi Donk,

Could you get me (WilsonB AT pobox.com) the MODIFIED version of Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe ?

I can give that a try and see if it starts working.

Since I get CreateFile failed Access is denied all the time. I am able to rename/delete the file. 

Hopefully when I replace it, it wont cause this for any VM's I start inside VMWare;

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The following error occurred when starting VMware Workstation. 

W32AuthConnectionLaunch: WriteFile filed (code 6).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for 130 release with works great on 10.9.3 beta... with 10.6.8 and 10.9.2 vmware images. :)

today i update to new vmware 6.0.3

everything is ok with win 8.1 image

but

unlocking for os x 10.6.8 and 10.9.2 vmware images. failed :

install.sh give me 

VMware Unlocker 1.3.0

===============================

Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-14

Patching...

Patching /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx

File mapped @0x101000000 length 22114528

Found SRVR @ 0x101c12f0e

Found OSK0 @ 0x101c44a75

Found OSK1 @ 0x101c44aad

Patching /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug

File mapped @0x101000000 length 26970320

Found SRVR @ 0x101d7801e

Found OSK0 @ 0x101daa2f5

Found OSK1 @ 0x101daa32d

Patching /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-stats

File mapped @0x101000000 length 24747488

Found SRVR @ 0x101c2e97e

Found OSK0 @ 0x101c61d65

Found OSK1 @ 0x101c61d9d

Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform

Finished!

Unlocker.OSX give me

Patching /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx

File mapped @0x101000000 length 22114528

Found SRVR @ 0x101c12f0e

Found OSK0 @ 0x101c44a75

Found OSK1 @ 0x101c44aad

Patching /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug

File mapped @0x101000000 length 26970320

Found SRVR @ 0x101d7801e

Found OSK0 @ 0x101daa2f5

Found OSK1 @ 0x101daa32d

Patching /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-stats

File mapped @0x101000000 length 24747488

Found SRVR @ 0x101c2e97e

Found OSK0 @ 0x101c61d65

Found OSK1 @ 0x101c61d9d

booting on OS X vmware image failed

can you please help?

Hi thanks for 130 release with works great on 10.9.3 beta... with 10.6.8 and 10.9.2 vmware images. :)

today i update to new vmware 6.0.3

everything is ok with win 8.1 image

but

unlocking for os x 10.6.8 and 10.9.2 vmware images. failed :

Found OSK1 @ 0x101c61d9d

booting on OS X vmware image failed

can you please help?

I assume you are running Fusion on a non-Apple PC or want to use the patch to bypass checking for server versions of 10.5 and 10.6. 

This is not an error we don't need to patch on Fusion as already has correct settings.

Can you upload and post a link to vmware.log file for a failing guest please. (Do NOT post inline as makes a mess of the thread).

Thanks

• Like 1

I assume you are running Fusion on a non-Apple PC or want to use the patch to bypass checking for server versions of 10.5 and 10.6. 

This is not an error we don't need to patch on Fusion as already has correct settings.

Can you upload and post a link to vmware.log file for a failing guest please. (Do NOT post inline as makes a mess of the thread).

Thanks

HiDonk

yes i'm running vmware on a Hackintosh

for unknown reason 

vmware launch OSX image now

issue closed

Thanks for your answer and help

All the best

On windows 8.1. whenever I install the unlocker v1.3 as admin, it fails to patch vmware-vmx.exe with a error message "Createfile failed: access is denied". Im running the script as admin. Because of this, I do not see the "Mac OS X" option. How can I fix this?

• Like 1

HiDonk

yes i'm running vmware on a Hackintosh

for unknown reason 

vmware launch OSX image now

issue closed

Thanks for your answer and help

All the best

I have had the same problem on Windows 7 64bit.. and once I forced it to over write , it broke all VM's when starting them. Hoping for a solution myself. What version VM u using? So went back before applying unlock and use linux vm's at least with no avail for Mac anymore.. ;-(

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading the source code for the patch trying to better understand what it does. It looks like it just enables some existing code already compiled into the binary files so if that is true then does my Vmware workstation 9 have the ability to run OSX 10.8 it just needs to have some minor patching to turn on the disabled code?

Second to that. It was my understanding OSX 10.8 or 9 needs SATA AHCI mode to work correctly. I have sucessfully installed OSX 10.8 on a bare metal system by picking just the right hardware. I wanted to try and image this system and run it on VMware workstation 9 but it does not support anything other than IDE and SCSI.

I imaged the disk out and got it back into an vmx disk and it starts to boot up the  loader but goes black shortly after. I presumed it was the lack of SATA/AHCI but have not looked further. I am planning on upgrading my workstation to 10 "soon" as it adds this support but now seeing this patch that seems to work on 9 I wonder if the upgrade is needed and my issue is something else.

Anyway A highlyight of what the patch actually does would be cool just for my brain to enjoy and the question about IDE if it can be done how would help.

Thanks!!!

Just reading the source code for the patch trying to better understand what it does. It looks like it just enables some existing code already compiled into the binary files so if that is true then does my Vmware workstation 9 have the ability to run OSX 10.8 it just needs to have some minor patching to turn on the disabled code?

Second to that. It was my understanding OSX 10.8 or 9 needs SATA AHCI mode to work correctly. I have sucessfully installed OSX 10.8 on a bare metal system by picking just the right hardware. I wanted to try and image this system and run it on VMware workstation 9 but it does not support anything other than IDE and SCSI.

I imaged the disk out and got it back into an vmx disk and it starts to boot up the  loader but goes black shortly after. I presumed it was the lack of SATA/AHCI but have not looked further. I am planning on upgrading my workstation to 10 "soon" as it adds this support but now seeing this patch that seems to work on 9 I wonder if the upgrade is needed and my issue is something else.

Anyway A highlyight of what the patch actually does would be cool just for my brain to enjoy and the question about IDE if it can be done how would help.

Thanks!!!

The unlocker works with Workstation 9 (it's in the readme). However you are right that only 10 has virtual SATA, but 9 supports SCSI and IDE for OS X guests. You will need to boot the OS X guest using the verbose mode of OS X and see what messages it is writing out to get a handle on the error.

The patch does 2 things:

1. It puts the Apple haiku into the vmx executable so that it is available for the internal virtual SMC controller to read

2. It patches the GOS Table (Giest OS Table) which has a bit to say whether the guest OS is visible in the UI.

On windows 8.1. whenever I install the unlocker v1.3 as admin, it fails to patch vmware-vmx.exe with a error message "Createfile failed: access is denied". Im running the script as admin. Because of this, I do not see the "Mac OS X" option. How can I fix this?

I have had the same problem on Windows 7 64bit.. and once I forced it to over write , it broke all VM's when starting them. Hoping for a solution myself. What version VM u using? So went back before applying unlock and use linux vm's at least with no avail for Mac anymore.. ;-(

I cannot recreate the access denied error. Can you download and run a command for me and attach the output to a post (please use attachments and NOT post in the reply)

1. Download accesschk.exe from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb664922

2. Open a command prompt in admin mode

3. Run accesschk.exe against 2 Workstation folders. Typically:

accesschk.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation"
accesschk.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64"

Thanks

The unlocker works with Workstation 9 (it's in the readme). However you are right that only 10 has virtual SATA, but 9 supports SCSI and IDE for OS X guests. You will need to boot the OS X guest using the verbose mode of OS X and see what messages it is writing out to get a handle on the error.

The patch does 2 things:

1. It puts the Apple haiku into the vmx executable so that it is available for the internal virtual SMC controller to read

2. It patches the GOS Table (Giest OS Table) which has a bit to say whether the guest OS is visible in the UI.

Thanks for the quick reply and clear answer. That makes it much more clear reading the code. On that note. Why is it is needed yet I am able to run on bare metal using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ( i fogot what one I used :)

I have to presume that these modify the OS to short circuit the OS from checking for the haiku in the management controller?

Thanks again.

I cannot recreate the access denied error. Can you download and run a command for me and attach the output to a post (please use attachments and NOT post in the reply)

1. Download accesschk.exe from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb664922

accesschk.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation" accesschk.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64"

Thanks

Ok, downloaded and ran in CMD prompt as Admin - didn't seem to output a log file

What is the exact syntex? Should I use a switch ?

Thanks

Hey thanks for responding and thanks for showing me a new tool.

Im going to run this when I'm home and let you know what it says. 

So you know what I've done is I've installed it on my Program Files drive as I call it, I've installed it on the same OS Drive (SSD vs HDD) and I've installed it on another drive that just a data drive. VMWare workstation works fine from all locations, the program fails with the same error. So I've copied it local to each drive, nothing. Ive changed permissions on the vmware workstation folder for "everyone" to have all access, nothing. Ive done everything I would normally do and nothing. 

So I hope the above accesschk tool helps find the problem. I installed vmware workstation on another machine running windows 8.1. update 1 and it gave me the same error. So its not just my one machine. Its also another machine. I just installed a fresh copy of windows 8.1 in a VM and was going to upgrade it all the way today and then try installing to see if I get the same error.

Sikh

Thanks

Here you go. Outputted into 2 seperate text files

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2c18c1aus57o45w/accesschk_output.zip

I think I might see the problem, but I dont understand why it is. So I want to see what you say. I think its a permission problem but im not sure how or why

Here you go. Outputted into 2 seperate text files

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2c18c1aus57o45w/accesschk_output.zip

I think I might see the problem, but I dont understand why it is. So I want to see what you say. I think its a permission problem but im not sure how or why

Thanks for the files but there is nothing obvious there after comparing them with my working Windows 8.1 test system. Next step is to see if there is an instance of the executable running. Can you open a console with admin rights and run this command please? Makes sure you run it with the same state you would run  the unlocker's install.cmd.

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq vmware*" /FO CSV

Thanks for the help.

Hello, I am having the same problem unlocking VMware Workstation, Version 10.0.2 build-1744117.  Everytime i run the unlocker, i get an error. In the link I have 4 files, the install file is the output for running install.cmd, the 2 vmware workstation files are the output for running the 2 accesschk.exe commands, the tasklist file is the output from running the tasklist command.  If somebody can help me please with this error, it is frustrating not being able to see the Mac OS option in VMware.  This is the first post with this much info on this issue.

Hello, I am having the same problem unlocking VMware Workstation, Version 10.0.2 build-1744117.  Everytime i run the unlocker, i get an error. In the link I have 4 files, the install file is the output for running install.cmd, the 2 vmware workstation files are the output for running the 2 accesschk.exe commands, the tasklist file is the output from running the tasklist command.  If somebody can help me please with this error, it is frustrating not being able to see the Mac OS option in VMware.  This is the first post with this much info on this issue.

Thanks for the files. Sadly there is nothing in there that helps me. One last question what are you UAC settings configured as in Control Panel?

Im trying comodo out, but ive trying using vmware 8 and 10, i have tried disabling the anti-virus, and still get the errors.

I really cannot think of what to do next! I am checking out the API call to CreateFile but there is nothing obvious that has changed in Windows 8. If only I could re-create the problem I could then debug it.

As one final request what happens if you run the following command:

accesschk.exe -d <vmware installation folder>

I really cannot think of what to do next! I am checking out the API call to CreateFile but there is nothing obvious that has changed in Windows 8. If only I could re-create the problem I could then debug it.

As one final request what happens if you run the following command:

accesschk.exe -d <vmware installation folder>
C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware VIX
  RW BUILTIN\Administrators
  R  Everyone
  RW NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation
  R  Everyone
  RW NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Donk,

Im glad you pointed out AV. I had it disabled / quit it when I was trying to figure out what could be blocking the installer/patcher and I was getting the same error. But now, on my windows 8.1 VM, with no antivirus AT ALL, I was able to install workstation 10, patch it (install cmd actually did stuff) and i see the OS X option now.

I am also using comodo and I've been using it for years. Besides the windows 8 issues I'm having with it, it works flawlessly for most stuff. I am going to probably just going to have it disabled from starting up, reboot my computer, run the patcher again and see what I get. This will happen on my desktop when I get home.

Thanks for your help. I will get back to you on if that works.

Sikh

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware VIX
  R  Everyone
  RW NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation
  R  Everyone
  RW NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Donk,

Im glad you pointed out AV. I had it disabled / quit it when I was trying to figure out what could be blocking the installer/patcher and I was getting the same error. But now, on my windows 8.1 VM, with no antivirus AT ALL, I was able to install workstation 10, patch it (install cmd actually did stuff) and i see the OS X option now.

I am also using comodo and I've been using it for years. Besides the windows 8 issues I'm having with it, it works flawlessly for most stuff. I am going to probably just going to have it disabled from starting up, reboot my computer, run the patcher again and see what I get. This will happen on my desktop when I get home.

Thanks for your help. I will get back to you on if that works.

Sikh

Ah we have a common theme Comodo AV. I will install a copy and see if that breaks my test VM.