ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

Hey i was also trying to find how i could boot in verbose mode ... after a lot of searching and a little imagination i found the way...

Power on the VM and when you reach the at VMware logo press F8 this will drop you to the EFI menu

Select "Boot Manager" and then "EFI Internal Shell" you will be presented with a Device Mapping Table focus at fsX: line that should say "Removable Hard Disk" in my case it was fs0:

So at EFI shell type

Shell> fs0:

fs0\:> cd \usr\standalone\i386

fs0:\usr\standalone\i386> dir

there you should find the boot.efi executable to boot just type

fs0:\usr\standalone\i386> boot -v npci=0x2000

or whatever other options you might want to pass to the kernel (-x -f etc etc)

Thanks that was so useful. :thumbsup_anim:

Sadly it still gets stuck on an hp microserver proliant server (AMD neo) during initial loading :D

thanks for the patch.

I'm on a fresh esx 5.0 install (no patches on the host) and i ran the install path but got errors with the .bsdiff files.

/vmfs/volumes/4d3a272c-2878edf8-3274-001cc469991e/unlock-esxi500-474610/unlock-esxi500-474610 # ./vmx-debug.bsdiff

./vmx-debug.bsdiff: line 1: syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

/vmfs/volumes/4d3a272c-2878edf8-3274-001cc469991e/unlock-esxi500-474610/unlock-esxi500-474610 # ./vmx-stats.bsdiff

./vmx-stats.bsdiff: line 1: syntax error: ")" unexpected

/vmfs/volumes/4d3a272c-2878edf8-3274-001cc469991e/unlock-esxi500-474610/unlock-esxi500-474610 # ./vmx.bsdiff

./vmx.bsdiff: line 1: syntax error: ")" unexpected

It might be that I'm misreading the directions but what i do is:

1) position the patch folder (unzipped and executable) in a datastore folder

2)run the uninstall.sh and then the install.sh -- nothing was installed before, so I'm not sure why I run the uninstall...but that's what it says. :-)

2b) run through the bspatch and .bsdiff lines getting errors. One note is that the bspatch command seems to be looking for an input and an output, which isn't listed in the readme.

bspatch: usage: ./bspatch oldfile newfile patchfile

3) then the readme says to install the patch again...which i did above??

the output from the patch above seemed to be correct, so I'll see what happens on a reboot.

Maybe it is but this is how i extracted the tar myself ...

Thanks for that, I successfully got the files unzipped using pocopico1's tip

Unfortunately after running the ./install.sh

the respone was

"VMWare ESXI 5.0 Unlocker 1.0.1

=========================

Patching files ...

Killed"

Any ideas on whats happening here

once again

thanks in advance

Adam

thanks to Donk.

I ignored the errors in the patch install and just went ahead and tried loading the OS. It worked after a couple of attempts. for some reason the screen kept freezing during the install...and it took a REALLY long time...but in the end it loaded up and I'm running.

Loaded VMware tools just fine, the mouse works great, graphics are...ok...but I'm not really concerned about that. The only other item that would be nice would be audio...but I can wait to figure that out.

thanks

thanks for the patch.

I'm on a fresh esx 5.0 install (no patches on the host) and i ran the install path but got errors with the .bsdiff files.

/vmfs/volumes/4d3a272c-2878edf8-3274-001cc469991e/unlock-esxi500-474610/unlock-esxi500-474610 # ./vmx-debug.bsdiff

Cr0n,

Glad you got this running, as we move further away from the base 469512 build the less likely that later Unlocker's will work.

For information if you are running an unpatched ESXi 5.0.0 then you need Donk's Unlocker "unlock-esxi500-469512", ONLY use "unlock-esxi500-474610" if you have updated your ESXi 5.0.0 with the VMware patch "ESXi500-201109001.zip". Using the right correct unlocker will ensure you do not get errors and guarantee smooth running of your OS X guestOS's.

Cr0n,

Glad you got this running, as we move further away from the base 469512 build the less likely that later Unlocker's will work.

For information if you are running an unpatched ESXi 5.0.0 then you need Donk's Unlocker "unlock-esxi500-469512", ONLY use "unlock-esxi500-474610" if you have updated your ESXi 5.0.0 with the VMware patch "ESXi500-201109001.zip". Using the right correct unlocker will ensure you do not get errors and guarantee smooth running of your OS X guestOS's.

Okay, so I'm catching on slowly. I haven't added the patch yet to the system, but might do that this weekend. If i add the patch, I'll go through the guide again and see if i can run it without issue.

thanks again for all the work on this.

Okay, so I'm catching on slowly. I haven't added the patch yet to the system, but might do that this weekend. If i add the patch, I'll go through the guide again and see if i can run it without issue.

thanks again for all the work on this.

Cr0n,

The recommendation is uninstall the "Unlocker", apply the VMware patch, then apply the 474610 "Unlocker", or the specific "Unlocker" for the VMware ESXi 5 build the VMware patch has updated ESXi 5.

Cr0n,

Well, I went through and patched my ESX host...at least I think I did it correctly...it looked right.

Anyway, I'm still getting errors with the BSpatch command and everything after that.

I'm running, but wanted to make sure i did things right.

Well, I went through and patched my ESX host...at least I think I did it correctly...it looked right.

Anyway, I'm still getting errors with the BSpatch command and everything after that.

I'm running, but wanted to make sure i did things right.

Basically what I did, probably wrongly, was to patch ESX, reboot, then I went it to ESX and uninstalled the unlocker...then I reinstalled the unlocker...etc. But the BSPatch thing doesn't work and all the parts after that in the FAQ.

Does this matter? Everything "seems" to be working fine now.

thanks

Hi all... thought I'd ask for assistance. Trying to load SL on vSphere (esxi5). Here are my stats and steps.

1. Hardware - ESXi 5 v. 474610. Intel Q6600

2. Ran Donk's patch and appropriate unlocaker located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1745191 (patch, reboot, uninstall, reboot)

3. Created VM and selected Apple OS 10.7 64 bit. Boot off of SL DVD iso

4. At this point, i either get the constant rebooting apple logo

I have looked at every thread in here and not sure what I am missing. Thanks in advance for the help/

Hi all... thought I'd ask for assistance. Trying to load SL on vSphere (esxi5). Here are my stats and steps.

1. Hardware - ESXi 5 v. 474610. Intel Q6600

2. Ran Donk's patch and appropriate unlocaker located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1745191 (patch, reboot, uninstall, reboot)

3. Created VM and selected Apple OS 10.7 64 bit. Boot off of SL DVD iso

4. At this point, i either get the constant rebooting apple logo

I have looked at every thread in here and not sure what I am missing. Thanks in advance for the help/

If you are booting from SL, then you need to select OS X 10.6 rather than 10.7, not sure if it actually makes a difference, but worth a try, we ned to see your vmx config file and vmware.log files to assist further if the selecting the correct guestOS does not work.

My intention is to build a modest ESXi 5 server capable of running Lion. What hardware must be compatible? All of it? Just the CPU? Chipset? I've looked through the 10.7.0 HCL, and I don't see any hardware that is 100% compatible without the use of kexts of some sort. For the record, I am aware that ESXi itself has its hardware compatibility limitations of its own.

If anyone else built their own ESXi 5 / Lion box and has gotten it working, would you care to list the hardware you used?

EDIT: In case it's not painfully obvious: Yes, this is my first time with ESXi.

My intention is to build a modest ESXi 5 server capable of running Lion. What hardware must be compatible? All of it? Just the CPU? Chipset? I've looked through the 10.7.0 HCL, and I don't see any hardware that is 100% compatible without the use of kexts of some sort. For the record, I am aware that ESXi itself has its hardware compatibility limitations of its own.

If anyone else built their own ESXi 5 / Lion box and has gotten it working, would you care to list the hardware you used?

EDIT: In case it's not painfully obvious: Yes, this is my first time with ESXi.

Andrew,

In terms of OS X Lion, need a current or recent Intel C2D or Core i or Xeon 5500 / 5600 processor, ideally a Core i or Xeon 5600 series processor. As the majority of the hardware will be masked by ESXi 5, the only additonal requirement is VT-x enabled in BIOS, as without it you cannot install vanilla Lion under ESXi. Finally a reasonable amount of RAM, depending on what other guestOS's you intend to run on your ESXi box!

In truth any current generation well specified Intel CPU based PC, Workstation or entry level server should be fine, provided it allows for VT-x to be enabled in BIOS, be warned some CPU's that support VT-x may not have the option in BIOS to enable it.

Do not forget you will need another machine to access the Lion guestOS, via VNC or clone or the vSphere Hypervisor Client under Windows, only direct access on the ESXi host is to a text based console for basic configuration and terminal access, obvious but just a reminder if you are new to ESXi.

Andrew,

In terms of OS X Lion, need a current or recent Intel C2D or Core i or Xeon 5500 / 5600 processor, ideally a Core i or Xeon 5600 series processor. As the majority of the hardware will be masked by ESXi 5, the only additonal requirement is VT-x enabled in BIOS, as without it you cannot install vanilla Lion under ESXi. Finally a reasonable amount of RAM, depending on what other guestOS's you intend to run on your ESXi box!

In truth any current generation well specified Intel CPU based PC, Workstation or entry level server should be fine, provided it allows for VT-x to be enabled in BIOS, be warned some CPU's that support VT-x may not have the option in BIOS to enable it.

Do not forget you will need another machine to access the Lion guestOS, via VNC or clone or the vSphere Hypervisor Client under Windows, only direct access on the ESXi host is to a text based console for basic configuration and terminal access, obvious but just a reminder if you are new to ESXi.

Wow. Thanks for that blazing fast reply, and you've answered all of my questions. On to building the server! Thanks again. :D

Where else is it being mirrored? I really hate that as I like to find out what the usage is. I would suggest you download again as there are plenty of folks who have downloaded it from my link.

I've face a similar issue today when I use Chrome to download the file (a 2xx KB file was downloaded) , but when i try Firefox, a 805 KB file was downloaded and I am able to extract the file.

I'm logged in with the default "root" account which is a member of the root group

You need to chmod to add execute permission for that file.

I've face a similar issue today when I use Chrome to download the file (a 2xx KB file was downloaded) , but when i try Firefox, a 805 KB file was downloaded and I am able to extract the file.

You need to chmod to add execute permission for that file.

I and others have had some issue with the Unlocker in terms of extraction and running, so have a look at the following post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1751068

First of all: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE FIX!!!!!!!

I have the same issue on an HP Microserver,

I patched the system, when I try to install the OS (10.6 Server) it gets stuck with the Apple logo and the grey background.

I have the first version of the Microserver ( Amd N36L),

is there anything that I may have missed and can now do?

(I have an ESXi build 469512 and installed the fix without problems)

thank you very much!

Matteo

First of all: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE FIX!!!!!!!

I have the same issue on an HP Microserver,

I patched the system, when I try to install the OS (10.6 Server) it gets stuck with the Apple logo and the grey background.

I have the first version of the Microserver ( Amd N36L),

is there anything that I may have missed and can now do?

(I have an ESXi build 469512 and installed the fix without problems)

thank you very much!

Matteo

AMD won't work you will need Intel processor.

Nice work! I think you should check your link for the 469512 patch; I get a zero length file when I download from http://www.filedropper.com/unlock-esxi500-469512_1 however I was able to get what I needed in a ZIP file from http://www.filedropper.com/unlock-esxi500-469512 instead.

I used VMware converter to transform a Lion VM Workstation guest to a VMware Infrastructure format (compatible with ESXi 5.0) ... uploaded the VM, and it starts just fine with your patch.

The problem I am currently facing is that there is no network support. I see an "Ethernet" entry in System > Network but it says either the network cable is unplugged or the other side is disconnected. DHCP or manual configuration does not work.

When I run "Network Utility" I don't even see that ethernet adapter, just two serial adapters. Anybody have any tips on how to get network connectivity to this Lion guest?

Thank you for you hard work!

Nice work! I think you should check your link for the 469512 patch; I get a zero length file when I download from http://www.filedropper.com/unlock-esxi500-469512_1 however I was able to get what I needed in a ZIP file from http://www.filedropper.com/unlock-esxi500-469512 instead.

I used VMware converter to transform a Lion VM Workstation guest to a VMware Infrastructure format (compatible with ESXi 5.0) ... uploaded the VM, and it starts just fine with your patch.

The problem I am currently facing is that there is no network support. I see an "Ethernet" entry in System > Network but it says either the network cable is unplugged or the other side is disconnected. DHCP or manual configuration does not work.

When I run "Network Utility" I don't even see that ethernet adapter, just two serial adapters. Anybody have any tips on how to get network connectivity to this Lion guest?

Thank you for you hard work!

Nevermind, I solved it. It was as simple as adding another network adapter in the vSphere client. Might be useful info for anybody migrating a VM from Workstation to ESXi. I'm going to backup my image, remove the primary/default Network adapter from the list (and keep the second one I added) and hope for the best. Thank you for this wonderful patch!

I've used Supermicro X8SIL-F motherboard with L3426 Xeon chip (note: I've heard that some i3 chips aren't VT-D enabled).

ESXI 5 installs without a hitch. Gotta love IPMI.

After patch I loaded 10.6 via vSphere Client via CD-ROM over network and then upgraded to 10.7 via AppStore.

It all worked like a charm. ;)

I've used Supermicro X8SIL-F motherboard with L3426 Xeon chip (note: I've heard that some i3 chips aren't VT-D enabled).

ESXI 5 installs without a hitch. Gotta love IPMI.

After patch I loaded 10.6 via vSphere Client via CD-ROM over network and then upgraded to 10.7 via AppStore.

It all worked like a charm. ;)

VT-D is not required for support of OS X under ESXi 5, but you do need VT-X.

VT-D is not required for support of OS X under ESXi 5, but you do need VT-X.

My bad. I needed VT-D because I'm using VMDirectPath to dedicate a SAS controller to OS X for use with Maczfs as well as to allow using HFS+ drives with the VM. See: http://www.servethehome.com/configure-pass...-hba-usb-drive/

Alternatively you can use RDM to allow the OS X guest to use individual SATA drives ... for example those attached to the motherboard controller ... but you can't just swap in a new drive and expect it to automagically attach to the OS X guest ... you've got to get into the ESXi command line via SSH. I decided to spring the extra $$ for the Xeon chip for the convenience -- when you dedicate the HBA controller to the OS X VM, any drives plugged into that controller automagically appear on the desktop.

My bad. I needed VT-D because I'm using VMDirectPath to dedicate a SAS controller to OS X for use with Maczfs as well as to allow using HFS+ drives with the VM. See: http://www.servethehome.com/configure-pass...-hba-usb-drive/

Alternatively you can use RDM to allow the OS X guest to use individual SATA drives ... for example those attached to the motherboard controller ... but you can't just swap in a new drive and expect it to automagically attach to the OS X guest ... you've got to get into the ESXi command line via SSH. I decided to spring the extra $ for the Xeon chip for the convenience -- when you dedicate the HBA controller to the OS X VM, any drives plugged into that controller automagically appear on the desktop.

Thanks for the update, I was not passsing comment, just letting people know what the minimum requirement is, rather than your more advanced configuration! MSoK.