OS X 10.7 (Lion) install on Dell Optiplex 745

client00

120 posts in this topic

sigh, here's the next problem w. the 5450: the monitor connected via HDMI does not wake up after sleep. The one on VGA does. That is only the case when the FB is set correctly by means of PCIRootUID/GE/ATIConfig. As soon as the 5450 defaults back to generic Radeon FB (either by deleting the PCIRootUID value or disabling GraphicsEnabler), the HDMI monitor wakes up from sleep, too ...

• 2 weeks later...

I need help with the Ethernet Driver.

I am not able to install using instructions provided on Wiki.

Ethernet: BCM5722D.kext [18] (latest version with device ID string corrections in info.plist). Cannot login to AppStore unless the EFI string of the ethernet device is injected in com.apple.Boot.plist (use EFI Studio 1.1 [19] to extract string).

I do have a Broadcom Ethernet Card and I checked the compatible Windows drivers and this had worked on windows "

Broadcom 32bit 57XX/59XX W2K/XP/Vista Gigabit Ethernet Driver"

Very new to Mac OS. Please help me with precise instructions how to install an Ethernet Driver using

BCM5722D.kext or whatever you recommend.

I need help with the Ethernet Driver.

I am not able to install using instructions provided on Wiki.

Ethernet: BCM5722D.kext [18] (latest version with device ID string corrections in info.plist). Cannot login to AppStore unless the EFI string of the ethernet device is injected in com.apple.Boot.plist (use EFI Studio 1.1 [19] to extract string).

I do have a Broadcom Ethernet Card and I checked the compatible Windows drivers and this had worked on windows "

Broadcom 32bit 57XX/59XX W2K/XP/Vista Gigabit Ethernet Driver"

Very new to Mac OS. Please help me with precise instructions how to install an Ethernet Driver using

BCM5722D.kext or whatever you recommend.

http://www.insanelym...3 <-- just dl the package at the end of that posting, all is in there.

Thanks BugsB, That was great help. It worked fine.

I am hitting another issue when I try to login to App Store. It says "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

I have already tried this and it did not work:

1) Delete the file Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

2) Restart OSX

3) Try logging into Mac App Store again.

Do you know how to resolve this?

have you copied the smbios.plist from my package into your /Extra folder and rebooted? For me that one solved that error. However I suggest you also open it in Chameleon Wizard and generate ur own serial by clicking onto both random buttons (for week and month I think), then save.

I first had an EFI string in my boot plist, however that blocked QE/CI on my grfx card so is depreciated. After messing with smbios I found out that no EFI string is necessary, and SMBIOS is the cleaner solution.

Also please make sure you update to the latest Chameleon w. Cham. Wiz.

Thanks again. Though your suggestion above did not work but you still helped me indirectly through your former post where you suggested the following:

I am now succesfully logged into the app store, after extracting the Ethernet card's EFI string w. EFI studio, adding the following code into org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0400000001010600041c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

restart, app store, login

Before it wouildn't work ("Device not recognized")

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

that's in general not a good idea because it can very well kill your framebuffer and/ or QE/CI (at least when you use an ATI/AMD graphics card). Would you please check and feedback of the following still work:

1. does Applications/DVD Player launch?

2. Do you have a translucent menu bar?

Screen%20shot%202010-07-07%20at%2010.38.49%20AM_thumb%5B3%5D.png?imgmax=800

I think the trick (apart from using provided boot and smbio plists) is as follows:

1. enter the EFI string, reboot, log into App Store

2. go into Network Prefs, make a change (e.g. set Ethernet to off, save, re-activate, save)

3. delete the EFI string

4. reboot

5. see if App Store login still works ..

10.7.4 update instrus:

- remove Sleepenabler.kext from /E/E

- remove Extensions.mkext from /E

- make sure you have AppleHDADisabler.kext in /E/E

- install 10.7.4 update

- re-apply RTC patch

- reboot

oddly enough sleep and wake-up now work in 10.7.4 even w/o sleepenabler :) (maybe because I am using Chimera 1.9.1 as boot loader?)

(SMC errors visible in verbose boot mode can be ignored)

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with a powercolor hd 5450 512mb graphics card. I have gone though all your post and tried all your steps. The card still is seen as a 5430m. I have added my DID to both the ATI Kent files ( checking back again, it seem to already have my DID in them) the DID is 0x68E11002

I have tried PCIRootUID=1 (I tried 0 to 4 tho I know it's 1 by the readout)

When I have GE set to no or use the wrong PCIRootUID it loads the card as a 5000, when it's running as this the VGA,HDMI and DVI work. Buy DVD player will crash as you all know. When it's reported as a 5430m only the VGA works!!

What am I doing wrong.... Can someone help me out as I'm wasting some much free time on this.... I don't mind doing a fresh install of Lion. I have used myhack3.1 to install. The system mb is a p5kPl-am, tho I do have a dell 745 DFF here as well.

Thanks for your time,

Ross

What is reads out as does not matter, it's only cosmetic. Important are full res change, QE/CI, multi mon and correct fb (DVD Player launches). You might not get HDMI with any other fb than Eulemur. Apart from that, best bet is you post into http://www.insanelym...view=getnewpost and http://www.insanelym...howtopic=260567 and http://tonymacx86.co...php?f=15&t=2797. Good luck!

I'm interested in finding a way to patch (S)ATA in the DSDT to use the vanilla AppleIntelPIIXATA2.kext (which now has boot stall at "Still waiting for root device"). I already patched all which seems required (DTGP, EHCI, IRQ) to no avail .. (would like to get rid of the patched AppleIntelPIIXATA2)

Anybody has a link to a helpful thread in that direction? I looked, but did not find anything.

Waiting for root device when kernel cache used

The problem turns out to be different: the current 10.7.4 AppleIntelPIIXATA2.kext (inside IOATAFamily.kext) is perfectly capable of "igniting" the 745's SATA bus - just by overwriting the info.plist in it it with the one from one of the legacy kexts (either the one I or the one client00 provided, embedded into the legacy IOATAFamily.kext). However, after installing all kexts from E/E to S/L/E w. kext wizard, emptying E/E, rebuilding caches via kext wiz, and activating kext cache in the boot plist (via Cham. Wiz.) to accelerate start-up, boot would hang at the infamous "Still waiting for root device"...

The really odd thing is that OS X gets beyond this hang, either when I boot via -f from the Cham. boot prompt, OR enable legacy in BIOS ..

Version and location of AppleIntelPIIXATA2.kext (or even complete legacy IOATAFamily.kext) do NOT matter .. I also applied some DSDT patches I could find re. "Still waiting for root device", to no avail.

The only explanation I have is that this is a order issue: with boot-cache off (-f), the kexts that flash by get loaded in a different order than when embedded into the kernelcache file in /S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

As long as this legacy mode via BIOS does not slow down HDD read and/or write access, I do not really mind. Still, I'd like to solve this riddle (¿by having the right command for Lion to produce a boot-cache which is in no ways inferior to kexts loading directly while flying by on the screen w/o boot-cache?)

Maybe kext wizard uses a disadvantageous command for the boot-cache rebuilding - I'll see what I can find into that direction. But maybe you guys out there already know more than I, and can share ???

EDIT: I rebuilt caches accdg. to one of our guru's instructions. I also added the UUID of my Lion install's volume manually to the boot plist via boot-UUID. I even applied the ole PlatformUUID.kext at some point - none help. Either boot-caches off, OR SATA legacy via BIOS .. weird ..

IOReg & unmodded DSDT attached, if you want to peek.

EDIT2: this is a timing issue! The issue is (quote bcc9) "how long disk drives take to initialize/answer async requests", see (in regards to AHCI systems) Waiting for root device when kernel cache used (bcc9). When booting w/o kernel caches, the disk is given more time to initiate, BEFORE the driver accesses it. Analog to bcc9's solution for the AHCI kext, the solution would here also be to delay loading of the AppleIntelPIIXATA2.kext several 100 ms so the disk drive has enough time to initialize. I hope bcc9 shares his method...

DSDT.zip

IORegistryExplorer.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hi BugsB,

I need your help again. I am trying to install a video display driver so I can view it in 1920X1080 resolution.

I tried using the NVEnabler.ext but failing to do so.

Can you give me some precise steps I should follow to get the display driver installed ?

Thanks again in advance,

• 3 weeks later...

I've just installed iATKOS_L2 from a DVD succesfully and without any problem's. The bootloader shows up and OSX starts booting. However, in the proces of Lion starting up, i get the message "Still waiting for root device".

I know this is a common error, and I found some ways of fixing this. The bios settings seem ok (SATA normal mode, S.M.A.R.T. enabled). Also I found the following:

Well, I figured it out. [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] was killing it!!!! The third party Sata kext that is wrapped in it killed it. I simply loaded Evoreboot, AppleRTC, FakeSMC and Chimera manually and VOILA!!! She works 100% of the time now!

I've checked the \System\Library\Extensions folder, and these files (Evoreboot, AppleRTC, FakeSMC and Chimera) are present. The only thing I notice is that there not present in the folder /Extra/Extensions. Somehow I doubt that this could be the issue, since the "Extra" folder is only for the Chameleon bootloader right?

I've booted the system with a Ubuntu Live USB, so I can see the filesystem that Lion installed. I just can't edit anything because I don't have write rights. To get that I need to boot into OSX (which I can't ;) ) and disable journaling. Is there someway arround this? And does anyone has any experience with the Optiplex 745 SFF (Intel Pentium D2160)? I have the feeling that I'm so close to getting this thing to work, but this last step is a kingsize pain in the **s. ;)

• 3 months later...

Looking for some help installing Lion or IATKOS l2 on a Dell Optiplex 745 SFF. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0, 2gb of ram, MST Nvidia 210. Ive tried following the wiki and the computer will boot and get to the bootloader screen. I select my lion drive and it statrs and goes to a black screen and hangs. Ive tried various commands -v,-x, GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No,npci=0x2000 etc. Nothing seems to work. Ive also tried with the graphics card removed and just intergrated graphics and nothing still. Can anyone help?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I dug up my old stock ultra small form factor 745 and am trying to get this to work on it! I followed the instructions and used MaLd0n's method but when I select to install OS X out of chameleon it shows all those flowing loading messages but eventually it ends at the line:

ACPI Table not found: DSDT.asl

Starting Darwin x86

and just reboots. Any solution or flags I should try? Thanks!

**edit

I just updated to chameleon 2.1 and it fixed it! Now i have Lion installed! Based on the thread comments I'm guessing the integrated Intel graphics aren't supported right? I've tried the GMA 950 drivers but it seems when I try to boot into a 32bit kernel, I just get stuck loading.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...