OS X 10.7 (Lion) install on Dell Optiplex 745

client00

120 posts in this topic

@ client00: *sometimes*, in Lion 10.7.2/ 10.7.3: after wake-up from sleep: no Ethernet. When looking into Sys Prefs/ Network: "Cable unplugged". When looking into BIOS: NIC is either in position OFF, or no position is highlighted at all ("Bardo"/ "Limbo"). NIC has to set to ON there in BIOS --> save to reenable NIC.

BIOS 2.6.4. Core2Quad. Tried all sorts of bootloaders.

I'm pretty sure I followed this guide step by step, but I'll check again once I have time. Maybe there's different revisions/ editions of the motherboard pr NIC Dell used?

PS: does the GMA950 KEXT also enable QE/CI on the 745's GMA 3000 ??

PS2: aha - I did apply the RTC patch in DSDT, but maybe it's not enough? Will apply rayap's AppleRTC patch as you suggest in your guide and report back - thanks!

• Like 1

@ client00: *sometimes*, in Lion 10.7.2/ 10.7.3: after wake-up from sleep: no Ethernet. When looking into Sys Prefs/ Network: "Cable unplugged". When looking into BIOS: NIC is either in position OFF, or no position is highlighted at all ("Bardo"/ "Limbo"). NIC has to set to ON there in BIOS --> save to reenable NIC.

Okay. I think I know what's happening, I had that problem on my initial setup. No DSDT is needed.

Just like you guessed you have to apply the patch (provided by rayap) to the original AppleRTC.kext in /S/L/E.

Just run terminal and paste this line:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Press enter, type in your PW and once again hit enter.

This is the AppleRTC patch that will prevent your 10.7 system from getting a partial BIOS reset after an S3 sleep/resume cycle. This will cure your internal NIC disappearing (reverting to "Off" in BIOS) and your PC auto turning on at 12.00 A.M. (BIOS feature).

I thought you would not have missed that, it was mentioned in the notes section of the osx86 wiki.

:-)

Good luck...

P.S. rayap revised the script, take a look at his later post

PS: does the GMA950 KEXT also enable QE/CI on the 745's GMA 3000 ??

I have no idea. Some other user edited my osx86 entry for the 745, he mentions sth about the GMA3000 being supported. You could email him I suppose.

thanks client00. I set the Dell up in multi-tasking fashion .. ;)

re. patch revisited: thanks, but I'd rather patch the original in S/LE, don't have one in E/E.

re. GMA kext: geez - imprecise editing. I am 99% sure his kext only offers res change no hardw. accelleration. No matter what that person should've added QE/CI YES or NO! Maybe one day I'll try. Suggestion: re-edit that comment, adding at least "initiation of QE/CI unknown" ..

As per your request and for public usage, DSDT is attached. All changes might be cosmetic 'cause the box runs anyways. Maybe MaLd0n would say something different .. ;)

DSDT Dell Optiplex 745 SFF BIOS 2.6.4

patched w. El Coniglio's DSDT Editor and Patcher + latest iasl

additional patches from http://olarila.com/forum/patches.php

DSDT remained compilable after applying the following patches:

DTGP

WAK

LPC

NEW HPET

Shutdown

Intel SBUS

_T_x rename

DTGP Desktop

LPC ICH8

tried more patches like RTC, IRQ etc., but these resulted in non-resolvable compile errors.

NOTE: Warnings remain!

Bugs B.

Feb. 11, 2012

Feel free to let me know any changes you observe :)

DSDT Dell Optiplex 745 SFF BIOS 2.6.4.zip

• Like 1

client00, is your 800MHz (2 x 400MHz) RAM indicated as 800MHz in "About this Mac" and "More Information"? Mine is indicated 531MHz. In BIOS correct 800MHz. Kingston DDR-2 PC6400 800MHz. Tried fixing the Freqency in smbios, also tried all sorts of bootloaders incl. Chimera, no dice.

Also, do you have to press keys at least twice for wake-up from sleep like carrick and I do with our ATI cards?

Anybody else experiencing these abnormalities?

BTW, I only get a LPC error during boot that C-states can't be generated, no error regarding p-states. Haven't researched yet though how to verify in booted OS X.

re. speedstepping: have you enabled it in BIOS?

PS: in WIndows 7 64, running SIW: "Error: Memory Information reported wrong by BIOS". SIW then displays "400MHz/ DDR-2 800". I loaded BIOS defaults in BIOS, disabled Floppy, saved, but no change neither in X nor in 7 ..

@BugsB and everyone concerned

The DSDT.aml file I tried unfortunately does NOT seem to cure problems present in a 745 OS X system. Computer takes a bit longer to enter sleep and much longer than normal to wake from S3. Sometimes it won't resume on the 1st attempt, you need to press a key or mouse button for a 2nd time. In addition USB 2.0 devices disconnect with a system warning message right after a S3 sleep/resume.

Also I am not sure if speedstep works, even though it is enabled in BIOS (have you included a relevant patch/fix in the DSDT BugsB?)

System functions just the same without the DSDT.aml file (I think we need help by Mald0n at this point).

I use Sleepenabler.kext in /E/E, computer sleeps and wakes up instantaneously, only sometimes display takes a couple of seconds to come back.

Imac9,1 system definition seems to work better

Try inserting these lines in your smbios.plist

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>iMac9,1</string>

This way you will not need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (but you DO need it if you use Imac8,1, without it CPU performance drops significantly)

As for RAM speed being reported wrong do not worry. It's only of cosmetic importance, memory modules still run at 800 MHz. (I also get the speed shown as 531 MHz)

If you badly want to change that, you can put those lines in your smbios.plist

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>800</string>

@BugsB and everyone concerned

The DSDT.aml file I tried unfortunately does NOT seem to cure problems present in a 745 OS X system.

:( like what?

I simply went ahead, applied a patch, tried to compile, if not good, reverted --> if good applied the next patch etc.

When, towards the end of that process, I clicked into the folder "Desktop", I saw there were pacthes in there with the same label as in the folder above, so I simply applied again - some compiled, others didn't. You see what I mean when you look above into the list w. patches applied.

I admint I didn't really know what I was doing in regards to most of the patches. What certainly makes sense is running the patcher on a fresh virgin DSDT, let it auto-repair errors, apply the most basic DGTP and _WAK patch, compile, use. That's what I'm doing right now.

Again, which behaviours would you like to see improved?

I only see:

• waking-up from sleep takes two keystrokes (always, even w/o DSDT)
  • front mic is very quiet, even with sliders in both Pref Panes all the way to the right, VoodooHDA & Sound
  • powering down or restarting is sometimes a bit slowed down w. the messages on the screen "shutdown monitor" bla bla, "PID still active" and something with children (don't recall exactly)

Computer takes a bit longer to enter sleep and much longer than normal to wake from S3. Sometimes it won't resume on the 1st attempt, you need to press a key or mouse button for a 2nd time. In addition USB 2.0 devices disconnect with a system warning message right after a S3 sleep/resume.

Also I am not sure if speedstep works, even though it is enabled in BIOS (have you included a relevant patch/fix in the DSDT BugsB?)

no. From what I know speedstep is CPU specific, so everybody has to patch their DSDT accdg. to their CPU. I inserted a Core2Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 2.4 8MB 1066MHz.

System functions just the same without the DSDT.aml file (I think we need help by Mald0n at this point).

agreed :)

I use Sleepenabler.kext in /E/E, computer sleeps and wakes up instantaneously, only sometimes display takes a couple of seconds to come back.

Imac9,1 system definition seems to work better

Try inserting these lines in your smbios.plist

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>iMac9,1</string>

been running w. anything betw. 9.1 and 12.2 (pre-made SMBIOS from Cham. Wiz), they all work w/o NullCPUPM. The latest w. a Core2Duo seems to have been the 10.1, the 11.x and 12.x have LGA. What accdg. to your measurements is running better w. 9.1 SMBIOS than w. 10.x -12.x?

This way you will not need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (but you DO need it if you use Imac8,1, without it CPU performance drops significantly)

As for RAM speed being reported wrong do not worry. It's only of cosmetic importance, memory modules still run at 800 MHz. (I also get the speed shown as 531 MHz)

If you badly want to change that, you can put those lines in your smbios.plist

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>800</string>

relieved, and cool, that works. What's very interesting is that both key strings were in the SMBIOS but the other way around (SMmemspeed 1st, then SMmemtype). Flipped'em around, cut and pasted to the very end of the plist right before the </dict>, now 800MHz displayed. Weird ...

After inserting 2 x 4GB new Crucial Memory (this one), the box now seems to be running 100% stable in both, Win7 64 and Lion 10.7.3 - no BSODs and KPs anymore :)

• Like 1

Again, which behaviours would you like to see improved?

I only see:

• waking-up from sleep takes two keystrokes (always, even w/o DSDT)
  • front mic is very quiet, even with sliders in both Pref Panes all the way to the right, VoodooHDA & Sound
  • powering down or restarting is sometimes a bit slowed down w. the messages on the screen "shutdown monitor" bla bla, "PID still active" and something with children (don't recall exactly)

It'd be nice if we could get the following:

Native CPU PM

Proper S3 sleep/resume, without the need of any kext (I use sleepenabler.kext)

Proper shutdown/reboot, without delay, again without the need of any kext (I use EvoReboot.kext)

USBEHCI full compatibility (for now USB 2.0 devices get disconnected right after S3 resume, system displays a warning message)

Regarding low mic level, have you bumped up "Mic", "Input Gain" and "Recording level" sliders, all three of them?

Which VoodooHDA kext did you use?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great h'tosh, been spending some time on it now. Very fast w. the Core2Quad 2,4GHz I inserted + the 1GB ATI HD 5450 from Saphire (native OS X kexts, no injector, not even GraphicsEnabler or ATIConfig).

No KPs whatsoever.

Is DVD Player working for anybody in 10.7.3? I guess the optical drive is simply not compatible. In case I ever watch a DVD on it I'll most likely use VNC anyway.

• Like 1

Is DVD Player working for anybody in 10.7.3? I guess the optical drive is simply not compatible. In case I ever watch a DVD on it I'll most likely use VNC anyway.

Can you be more specific? Exactly which symptom do you get? Does DVD Player.app crash every time you open it?

I had a similar case with another osx86 system, running 10.6.8.

The DVD-ROM drive should not really matter, do you have the GSA-H31N? My 745 plays DVD Video with Apple DVD Player just fine.

Please open Terminal.app, type the following line:

ioreg|grep ATY

hit ENTER and paste the output here.

Can you be more specific? Exactly which symptom do you get? Does DVD Player.app crash every time you open it?

exactly. Don't even see the window once = rather suffocating than crashing.

I had a similar case with another osx86 system, running 10.6.8.

The DVD-ROM drive should not really matter, do you have the GSA-H31N?

SONY CDRWDVD CRX880A:

Firmware Revision: KD11

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw

My 745 plays DVD Video with Apple DVD Player just fine.

might also be some kind of graphics/ framebuffer issue. However full QE/CI, dual mon (VGA/ DVI; HDMI not tested), full res change on both ports, Chess working (I lost)

Please open Terminal.app, type the following line:

ioreg|grep ATY

hit ENTER and paste the output here.

| |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000251, registered, matched, active, busy $
| |   |   | | +-o ATY_ATY,RadeonFramebuffer  <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x10000025d, registered, matched, active, $
| |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000252, registered, matched, active, busy $
| |   |   | | +-o ATY_ATY,RadeonFramebuffer  <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x100000265, registered, matched, active, $
| |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000253, registered, matched, active, busy $
| |   |   | | +-o ATY_ATY,RadeonFramebuffer  <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x10000026b, registered, matched, active, $

and from bdmesg:

Chameleon 2.1svn (svn-r1886) [2012-03-10 21:27:02]

Framebuffer @0xD0000000  MMIO @0xFE9E0000 I/O Port @0x0000DC00 ROM Addr @0xFEA00000
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
Framebuffer set to device's default: Eulemur
Nr of ports set to framebuffer's default: 3
ATI Cedar ATI Radeon HD 5430M 1024MB (Eulemur) [1002:68e1] (subsys [174b:3000]):: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

I have the 5450 non-M, but this might be just cosmetic (El Coniglio's Sys Info app also detects it as 5430M and even classifies it as not supported - which I guess I don't have to worry about 'cause that's not the one I have anyway ..VID, DID and SubSys ID are all correct, I just doublechecked from within Windows).

I also already tried the PCIroot=1 trick that worked from some, tried different fb personalities, and the two possible injectors for this grfx card (even though it works w/o), so it might really be the Sony.

Thank you for your efforts :)!

PS: in the old days some overcame this w/ different SMBIOS files but details were never shared/ posted. It would be awesome if you could zip your chameleon and smbios plists and attach them to your reply.

Hello again.

I think I can be of help. As I've mentioned I've dealt with that problem before. And I have solved it!

It's interesting that you have done your homework. Those steps you took are indeed supposed to help. And yet they didn't :( So what's wrong?

As you probably already know, your problem is framebuffer related.

It looks like your system uses the default Radeonframebuffer instead of the native one for the 5450, even though chameleon bootloader tries to inject the correct values, through Graphicsenabler=yes. It simply won't do the trick.

And you DO need the appropriate FB to load as it gets involved not only in DVD Player.app function but in proper graphics output (esp. in games/animation software).

Fortunately there is an alternative.

The kext I have attached (ATY_init.kext) is written by netkas and it is supposed to inject some missing values concerning your display adapter. Copy this kext to /S/L/E (not /E/E, it won't work!) and turn off Graphicsenabler. Update kext cache with Kext Wizard and reboot.

Once again run ioreg and paste results.

When i "ioreg|grep ATY" my ATI Radeon HD 4890 OC i get this:

AMD-OSX86:~ user$ ioreg|grep ATY
| |   |   | +-o ATY,MotMot@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002de, registered,$
| |   |   | | +-o ATY_MotMot  <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x1000002e0, regist$
| |   |   | +-o ATY,MotMot@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002df, registered,$
| |   |   | | +-o ATY_MotMot  <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x1000002fb, regist$
AMD-OSX86:~ user$ 

MotMot is the framebuffer I need. Previously I had RadeonFramebuffer.

ATY_Init.kext.zip

• Like 1

neat, thanks. I remembered Netkas as a E/E hater and had installed his ATY kext to S/L/E before. I compared, yours is exactly the same I had already tried, but thanks. On -v boot I saw before something like "ATY probing 68e1", then "ATY quitting 68e1" (I think the values were twisted which from what I remember is how it's supposed to be displayed). Replacing the ATY kext w. the ATI5xxxInjector kext installed to S/L/E did not help, either: DVD Player still dying as an infant, and no correct FB personality via ioreg ..

I guess I'd next have to dump the card's BIOS into a ROM file (e.g. w. GPU-Z or AIDA64), then process it accdg. to bcc9's manual. The thing is that I have moe than used up my allotted time for this and *urgently* have to progress w. real life ..

I might have enough time to boot Windows and attach the ROM dump before I leave ..

• Like 1

yep, thanks, I'm aware of techpowerup.com but depreciate their vgabios vault because, as often as vendors issue hardware revisions, everyone should take the minute to dump their own rom. In this case, the two Saphire 1GB roms there (ranging from 2009 - 2011) are DIFFERENT than mine, which has the code name 'Park' (offered there are Redwood and Cedar). I have attached it just for reference, and also uploaded here (scroll down to dl via one of the blue buttons labeled 'CLICK HERE').

As usual, renaming the ROM dump accdg. to nomenclature (either 'venid_devid.rom' or 'venid_devid_subsys.rom', or via duplicate both, copying into /Extra and enabling ATIBios in the boot plist did not have any effect, regardless of GE on/off, and/or ATIConfigs, and/or different boot loaders incl. Chimera latest 1.8.1 ...

So then I again stumbled across Kabyl's topic ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon and these contributions from PGHammer and atka, clarifying that the HD5450s (all variants) FB personalities got purposely nulled by the Chameleon team in ati.c, because the GPUs in the HD5450s are actually mobile GPUs with the BIOS from the HD4890 non-mobile. Enabling framebuffers for the HD5450s would have added confusion for these other two GPU branches the HD5450s are based on. For Snow Leo there is specific boots which inject correct FBs for some variants of the HD5450. These boots do unfortunately not work for Lion. For both, Snow and Lion, there is the ATI5000Injector which again adds correct FBs for a few more of the HD5450s. Since there does not yet seem to be a dedicated boot for my specific card's GPU (codename 'Park'), I'd either have to drill down bcc9's instructions incl. hex editing (which might have to be repeated after an OS X update = not a good idea), or get a recent Lion-capable boot w. FB selection for my HD5450 enabled, so I can change it via ATIConfig.

I know who to contact. Should be solvable :)

Saphire_ATI_Radeon_HD_5450_1GB_GDDR3_DVI_VGA_HDMI.zip

Hey everyone. I have been away from x86 for a couple of years, but considering coming back.

I have an Optiplex 745, full size desktop, which I am considering setting up.

It has an intel core 2 6600, at 2.93 ghz.

2 gigs of ddr pc2 5300

Radeon x1300/1550 series video card.(with dual monitor splitter cable)

Is there anything I should be concerned about with this set up, before I dive off?

thanks

BIOS 2.6.4. Core2Quad. Tried all sorts of bootloaders.

Kinda off topic Bugs, but was wondering how you got that Q6600 to run on your Optiplex. When I put mine in, the fan Just runs loud and no boot. I have The tower, and my CPU is the Q6600 SLACR MALAY 2.40GHz/8M/1066/05A... Any info would be appreciated... Other then that I have lion 10.7.3 running fairly nice at the exception of the sleep and No DSDT either. it boots to the loader, but does not start unless I manually chose the OS, which does not bother me too much since I have Lion, Snow Leo, and Win 7 on the same comp.

I did a bunch of reading before I even purchased the 745 SFF for a few bucks, then ordered the Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB 1066MHz from eBay. It was a private offer so it's not there anymore. I always only order with return warranty - that way one can usually be sure that parts were pulled from a working system. Guess I had good luck. Maybe your Q6600 is defective .. However, when you can still boot your 745 w. a working CPU, make sure you are indeed running the latest BIOS, load Setup defaults in BIOS, save, turn off, swap CPU, power back on. Sometimes it takes several times power-cycling.

Always make sure you have ALL (not just power) cables disconnected incl. monitor and LAN (which do send small currents into the mobo).

Also, try different RAM, or extract one module, or swap modules into different slots (1/3 --> 2/4). The higher CPU frequency can also effect the RAM timing. I've had all sorts of oddities on comps in the past when swapping parts, and getting new ones to work. Also try nothing in any PCI slot, and if that helps to have the mobo recognize the CPU, reinsert after recognition.

Good luck :) Above is pretty much all you can try.

I got the installation of 10.7 to work fine. However, now I am having the following problems and unable to install the required kext, chameleon, etc...

1) I keep having too use the following bootflag: -x -v rd=disk1s2. If I don't use safe mode, I can't boot into the OS and get stuck at the a blank black screen.

2) When I insert a USB drive, I am unable to mount it. Disk Utility recognizes the USB drive, but unable to mount it. It tells me to use Repair, but even after doing so it doesn't mount.

I did a bunch of reading before I even purchased the 745 SFF for a few bucks, then ordered the Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB 1066MHz from eBay. It was a private offer so it's not there anymore. I always only order with return warranty - that way one can usually be sure that parts were pulled from a working system. Guess I had good luck. Maybe your Q6600 is defective .. However, when you can still boot your 745 w. a working CPU, make sure you are indeed running the latest BIOS, load Setup defaults in BIOS, save, turn off, swap CPU, power back on. Sometimes it takes several times power-cycling.

Always make sure you have ALL (not just power) cables disconnected incl. monitor and LAN (which do send small currents into the mobo).

Also, try different RAM, or extract one module, or swap modules into different slots (1/3 --> 2/4). The higher CPU frequency can also effect the RAM timing. I've had all sorts of oddities on comps in the past when swapping parts, and getting new ones to work. Also try nothing in any PCI slot, and if that helps to have the mobo recognize the CPU, reinsert after recognition.

Good luck :) Above is pretty much all you can try.

Thanks for the Tip...gonna give it a try..If it does not work, will take the wife's e6700 and swap it with my e6300 :D ....

Greetings,

Am I to take it from:

VGA: Gainward NVIDIA GT 220 512 MB DDR3 PCI-e card (barely fits, other cards may not clear the mainboard capacitors or the CPU cooler). Onboard Intel GMA 3000 is supported. Note ( GMA 3000 will support with GMA950 KEXT and enabler also desired resolutions in Chameleon peripherals needs to be done ) then you will get your screen resolutions with no problem ....any questions edited by ( arifshen@aol.com ) on Jan 2012

on

http://wiki.osx86pro...ps#Optiplex_745

That everything I hear regarding the 745's integrated graphics not being supported is no longer true? I have a stock DFF 745 and I want to give it a shot. I am new to hackintosh, and I'm trying to figure it all out before I start in.

I am having issues with my Dell 745. I am able to create the installation USB perfectly fine. However, the issue I am having is that I always have to boot into safe mode using the bootflag -x (I have to boot into safe mode during USB installation, and even after successful installation). If I don't boot into safe mode, I get stuck on a black screen with a cursor.

I also tried booting with the following bootflags, however, none of them fixed the issue: GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No, "Graphics Mode"=1024x768x32, etc...

I am guess this issue might be related to graphics card. I have a Radeon X1300 256MB. Vendor ID = 0x1002 and Device ID: 0x7146.

Specs: