OS X 10.7 (Lion) install on Dell Optiplex 745

client00

120 posts in this topic

just rip out the extra grfx card and boot w/o it - you'll know immediately if you're issue is due to the grfx card .. :compress:

At the moment I am unable to remove the graphic card. I will try that later and post results. But however, my integrated graphics card is GMA 3000, which according to some research, it is not supported.

I think, I kinda have found possible problem why I can only boot in safemode. According to the guide, http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.7.0/Desktops#Optiplex_745, I need to install the following kext: FakeSMC, AppleRTC, EvOReboot, NullCPUPowerManagement, Sleepenabler. In addition, after doing some research on x1300 graphic card, I need to also install EVOEnabler.kext. However, I am unsure where to find these kext. Can I use the kext from verdant's nForce guide (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263931)? What about the EVOEnabler.kext? where do I get this one?

Thank you Client, Bugsb and Carrick, using the info on the wiki and this thread I have a SFF Optiplex 745 working with Lion 10.7.3 with dual screen using the Sapphire HD5450 graphics card.

Greetings,

Am I to take it from:

on

http://wiki.osx86pro...ps#Optiplex_745

That everything I hear regarding the 745's integrated graphics not being supported is no longer true? I have a stock DFF 745 and I want to give it a shot. I am new to hackintosh, and I'm trying to figure it all out before I start in.

Hi

I followed the wiki and tried the kexts for the as suggested and could not get it to work. I bought a sapphire hd 5450 graphics card from amazon plugged it and and all working fine without any kexts.

I did a bunch of reading before I even purchased the 745 SFF for a few bucks, then ordered the Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB 1066MHz from eBay. It was a private offer so it's not there anymore. I always only order with return warranty - that way one can usually be sure that parts were pulled from a working system. Guess I had good luck. Maybe your Q6600 is defective .. However, when you can still boot your 745 w. a working CPU, make sure you are indeed running the latest BIOS, load Setup defaults in BIOS, save, turn off, swap CPU, power back on. Sometimes it takes several times power-cycling.

Always make sure you have ALL (not just power) cables disconnected incl. monitor and LAN (which do send small currents into the mobo).

Also, try different RAM, or extract one module, or swap modules into different slots (1/3 --> 2/4). The higher CPU frequency can also effect the RAM timing. I've had all sorts of oddities on comps in the past when swapping parts, and getting new ones to work. Also try nothing in any PCI slot, and if that helps to have the mobo recognize the CPU, reinsert after recognition.

Good luck :) Above is pretty much all you can try.

Bugsb, do you find a big difference in speed against the core2duo that the 745 is supplied with. Also if I do decide to get a quad cpu what should I be looking at.

Thank you

I followed the wiki and tried the kexts for the as suggested and could not get it to work. I bought a sapphire hd 5450 graphics card from amazon plugged it and and all working fine without any kexts.

Thanks for this. Looks like I'll be getting a new card.

Success! Got graphics working with QE/CI on my x1300 radeon (solution: http://www.beejblog.com/2010/03/ati-x1300-pro-on-mac-os-x-snow-leopard.html)

I am having the following issues now:

Sleep not working properly: Computer goes to sleep fine, however, on wake up, I hear the computer turn on, but I see nothing on display. I have installed the latest Sleepenabler.kext from http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/.

DVD and DVD-RW drives are not working. Any suggestion on how to get these working?

I'm trying to use iATKOS L2 to boot, and I am getting the following error:

USBMSC identifier (non-unique): <String of numbers>

I have searched for this issue and found some references - most of them have mentioned various boot flags to try. Thus far none have helped. Any suggestions?

look-a-there, the 745 seems 2 b a desirable h'tosh .. ;)

@ Zythyr:

- great u'r up'n running!

- "integrated graphics card GMA 3000 is not supported": OS X boots with it all the way into the Desktop, however in VESA mode = no res. changes and no graphics hardware-level accellearation Apple style (Quartz Extreme/ Core Image), so videos would run very choppy, most games won't run. So for just running OS X VESA mode might be an acceptable compromise

- wake up from Sleep: "I hear the computer turn on, but I see nothing on display": that's how the 745s unfortunately behave - keep hitting a key on the keyboard until the screen wakes up, too. Since this happens across different grfx cards (even ATI/ Nvidia), it is most likely some issue in the BIOS (which might be solvable by editing the DSDT at the appropriate spot)

- DVD and DVD-RW driveS - why plural? Do 'they' work in Windows (or whatever else you have installed)? On a h'tosh, always install either Windows or/and Linux as parallel install for diagnosis.

@ d620osx: "Core2Duo vs. Core2Quad speed": dunno - my 745 SFF came with a crappy Pentium D (brrrrrr). The Q6600 2.4GHz has the best price/ power ratio. The strongest CPU you can insert onto the 745 mobo is the Intel Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz Quad Core. However, the CPU fan will go nuts .. One noth below (with much less power consumption than the X) is the Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz BX80562Q6700. Search eBay for a good offer - always tick 'returns accepted' as parameter ..

@ unaligned: I'm pretty sure I installed via iATKOS L2, also, back then still w. the Pentium-D, so I installed successfully with the parameter mach_atom -v

----------------------------------------------------------------

Saphire HD 5450 graphics card from Amazon: with a bit of hope a more-or-less correct framebuffer entry (so that particular apps like DVD player work, too) might get added into Chameleon's ati.c, see here. If you intend to play specific games on your hack w. the Amazon 5450, be warned: if a game requires the correct FB to be set it will most likely not even start. I tried the most current Chimera which allows overriding a knulled FB, but since the DID 68e1 is not nulled but already taken by the HD 5430M (mobile), even Chimera does not help here. My request is that you guys sign up/ log in at the Voodoo forums and add your request to mine here, emphasizing you have the exact same grfx card with same SubSys The more requesters the more weight a request gets = the higher the potential it gets solved.

----------------------------------------------------------------

In general a great post-install tool is tonymacx86's Mu|tibeast. If after install OS X does not even boot: boot Windows, install MacDrive, reboot, copy required kexts into /Extra/Extension.

@ unaligned: I'm pretty sure I installed via iATKOS L2, also, back then still w. the Pentium-D, so I installed successfully with the parameter mach_atom -v

I eventually got it working using a clean retail version of 10.7.3 and the process mentioned on the wiki page. Everything is perfect except for the fact that I can't get the App Store to recognize my computer. I've used pretty much every combination of steps regarding EFI string injection into org.chameleon.Boot.plist both manually and with EFI Studio, and adding boot flags to the above-mentioned plist to no avail.

I'm about to give up - not to mention the main reason I did this was to try to use it as a dev box for Corona SDK. And from the research I've done, even though I've got that running I'm going to have issues signing apps per Apple's Nazi dev policies. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a real Mac - or just dev for Android and continue living the poor house.

:wallbash:

I am not educated on this issue, but: are you using a smbios.plist in /Extra? I think you should (iMac 9,1 or similar)

Have you tried Mu|tibeast - does it offer a app-store hack?

I am now succesfully logged into the app store, after extracting the Ethernet card's EFI string w. EFI studio, adding the following code into org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0400000001010600041c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

restart, app store, login

Before it wouildn't work ("Device not recognized")

I am not educated on this issue, but: are you using a smbios.plist in /Extra? I think you should (iMac 9,1 or similar)

Have you tried Mu|tibeast - does it offer a app-store hack?

No, I have not tried Mu|tibeast, but it might be an idea. Though I don't know if it has an App-Store hack. I do not have a smbios file - that is one of the last things I've to do. I'll try those two, see if it helps. I know it's obscure, but do you have any experience with Corona on hackintosh and/or do you know anything about app signing for iOS on a non-Apple Mac?

I am now succesfully logged into the app store, after extracting the Ethernet card's EFI string w. EFI studio, adding the following code into org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0400000001010600041c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

restart, app store, login

Before it wouildn't work ("Device not recognized")

Yeah, this is what I've endlessly tried, and it has not helped.

we're getting closer. Make sure you are using org.chameleon.Boot.plist not the old com..

forget about MB, just checked, it does not offer such option

yes, you DO need a correct smbios. Then you neither need the CPU disabler kext in E/E

I at this point do not yet have exp. w. app signing etc, but I equipped a friend with a h'tosh who's coding a game that also needs to work on iOS, so we'll have to get into that at some point, but not yet. With the correct smbios and an EFI string here and there it is pretty much impossible for Apple to tell a hack from a Mac. I know of a h'tosh on the US mainland that ran OS X Server as a Mac Mini (with original Mac Mini smbios settings) running Apple's hardware diagnostics, communicating w. Apple ALL THE TIME (the Mini was needed somewhere else). Apple never complained .. ;)

Chose a pre-config iMac 9,1 SMBIOS w. Chameleon Wizard, generate a random serial, safe. Verify that above EFI string is really in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. reboot. test app strore login.

Still no go. I downloaded and used Chameleon Wizard to generate my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and my smbios.plist with a random serial, and used EFI Studio to get my <key> and <string> to put in the boot plist and the App Store still isn't recognizing my device.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I got it going now. My problem was that for my EFI key for my device, I had

<key>PciRoot(0x4)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

instead of

Or it may have been that I changed

IOBuiltIn

from

false

to

true

in my NetworkInterfaces.plist. It was one of those two - or both.

Alright... making progress. Now if only my sound control panel would show HDMI out as an option instead of just Line Out (Green Rear). Oh, and get file sharing with my W7 boxes to work... none of them will connect. I keep getting an error that says 'the parameter is incorrect' for some reason and they will never allow me to connect to the drives.

very cool.

File sharing: do you have SMB activated under Options? However it did not work perfectly for me either right away. I had to go into sharing, disable, reenable. Eventually I created an ALIAS of my shared windows folder via Finder onto the Desktop. Now, when I double click that, the shared folder on my Windows PC always opens right away.

Also make sure you have, in Windows, created an account with the exact same name as the name of the Mac user account on the 745. Also I'm pretty sure the account *must* have a PW ..

Audio via HDMI: I don't use that so can't say. However there's threads in the forum about that exact topic. I remember reading that this can be enabled in VoodooHDA (via step-by-step guide)

Just for completion I added the package for the 745. Should be of help to some (regardless of SFF, DFF etc.).

EDIT: DSDT is only error auto-corrected by DSDT patcher and *only* contains DTGP as added method, NOTHING else

EDIT 2012-05-09: NEW VERSION 2.1:

- removed SleepEnabler for 10.7.4 compatibility

- added RTC patch script

older changes (credits also to machinist and Vlad):

- added correct PCIRootUID 4 to increase chances that ATI Cards load w. correct Framebuffer (working w. ATI Saphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 DVI/ HDMI/ VGA)

- deleted 'Device Property' key & string which interfered w. Framebuffer loading

- replaced smbios.plist with one from Mac Mini 4,1 so App Store login works

- added 'darkwake=0' so computer and screen now wake-up from sleep with one signal from kb or mouse (rather than going back into sleep mode after only a single user signal)

Dell Optiplex 745 SFF.zip

I have the same sapphire radeon hd 5450 with 1gb ddr3 and LP

i added the line you specified in the issue there but the card is still unrecognized :(

here is the source code + compiled files : http://www.mediafire...gpp6edmugjtdt0k maybe i'm wrong somewhere

If you managed to get the videocard work please post here how you did the trick because i did not get it to work fully - the dvd player crashes

thank you for compiling, Vlad, very much appreciated! One less thing I have to get into ..

I confirm, trunk/sym/i386/boot does STILL NOT invoke the correct FB for the 5450 (GE=yes). Indeed no FB is selectable as before, and naturally DVD player never launches. Yes, you added the code correctly (I checked)

Looking at the other two 5450's in ati.c, I have been wondering about their different DID.. Is it possible that the GPU itself has a different ID than the grfx card ?? I think it would be very much worth a try if you changed our 5450's DID also to 0x68F9 in ati.c, and try that compile :)

as far as i can see ErmaC integrated the device id and the subsystem id into his build of chameleon and i see that the park, maddison and other fammilies are comming into his buid:

http://forge.voodoop...6/libsaio/ati.c

so check it out here and tell me if it's working because i not have my hackintosh here to test it :D and i'm very courious :).

Another thing: the subsytem id that you posted here was wrong. The right version is: 0x3000174b , the vendor id (Sapphire - 174b) has to be in the end of declaration of subsystem_id :)

Waiting your feedback :)

UPDATE: The device has been there since commit 1905 so tehnically speeking if you download this: ErmaC Trunk sub-Branch [PKG r1908] ==> ErmaC-Chameleon-r1908.pkg.zip 2.56MB 147 downloads Mountain Lion BOOT SUPPORT it should work just fine :trumpet:

as far as i can see ErmaC integrated the device id and the subsystem id into his build of chameleon and i see that the park, maddison and other fammilies are comming into his buid:

http://forge.voodoop...6/libsaio/ati.c

I see //␉CHIP_FAMILY_PARK,␊, thanks for digging this out, but that needs to be corrected because there is no such thing as a family 'Park' - the family is 'MANHATTAN', with the member GPUs Park, Broadway, Madison.

so check it out here and tell me if it's working because i not have my hackintosh here to test it :D and i'm very courious :).

no it's not, regardless of all sorts of settings in the boot.plist (GE on/off, ATIConfigs, PCIroot, Computer type bla bla bla), and regardless of additional injectors present or not in S/L/E...

Another thing: the subsytem id that you posted here was wrong. The right version is: 0x3000174b , the vendor id (Sapphire - 174b) has to be in the end of declaration of subsystem_id :)
thank you for pointing thsi out! Why can't they make it e-z and user-friednly, sigh - it would be easy to have a function in Chameleon to turn the values around, either during compilation or at run-time. But no, geeks need to let the rest of the world feel who's geek, and who's not ..

I corrected in my request!

The line in ErmaC's ati.c reads:

{ 0x68E1,␉0x3000174B, CHIP_FAMILY_CEDAR,␉␉"ATI Radeon HD 5450M",␉␉␉␉kEulemur␉},␊

however we're not dealing with the mobile but with the Desktop version here, so it should rather read

{ 0x68e1,␉0x3000174b, CHIP_FAMILY_CEDAR,␉␉"ATI Radeon HD 5450",␉␉␉␉kEulemur␉},␊

no idea if that makes a difference. Our 745's system type is set to iMac, which *might* be the reason that OS X refuses to set *any* FB (for a GPU it detects as mobile in a Desktop system).

so if you feel like compiling once more, I'd recommend ..HD 5450.. (w/o the M). However we might really have to wait until the MANHATTAN chip family has gotten integrated into Chameleon ....

I see //␉CHIP_FAMILY_PARK,␊, thanks for digging this out, but that needs to be corrected because there is no such thing as a family 'Park' - the family is 'MANHATTAN', with the member GPUs Park, Broadway, Madison.

no it's not, regardless of all sorts of settings in the boot.plist (GE on/off, ATIConfigs, PCIroot, Computer type bla bla bla), and regardless of additional injectors present or not in S/L/E...

thank you for pointing thsi out! Why can't they make it e-z and user-friednly, sigh - it would be easy to have a function in Chameleon to turn the values around, either during compilation or at run-time. But no, geeks need to let the rest of the world feel who's geek, and who's not ..

I corrected in my request!

The line in ErmaC's ati.c reads:

{ 0x68E1,␉0x3000174B, CHIP_FAMILY_CEDAR,␉␉"ATI Radeon HD 5450M",␉␉␉␉kEulemur␉},␊

however we're not dealing with the mobile but with the Desktop version here, so it should rather read

{ 0x68e1,␉0x3000174b, CHIP_FAMILY_CEDAR,␉␉"ATI Radeon HD 5450",␉␉␉␉kEulemur␉},␊

no idea if that makes a difference. Our 745's system type is set to iMac, which *might* be the reason that OS X refuses to set *any* FB (for a GPU it detects as mobile in a Desktop system).

so if you feel like compiling once more, I'd recommend ..HD 5450.. (w/o the M). However we might really have to wait until the MANHATTAN chip family has gotten integrated into Chameleon ....

i will compile it as soon i will be in front of my "mac" -- sunday maybe

BugsB et al:

I feel your frustration. I suspect yours is a PCIRootUID issue.

Chameleon r1897 reports "our" card as a 5430M Cedar while r1908 displays it as a 5450M Cedar. It's purely cosmetic and makes no difference in performance.

Whether it's in a laptop or desktop, it's still a 5450M "Park". It's a "Mobility Series" AMD chip.

However, using the "Baboon" fb improves performance by every metric in every test. Save for weaknesses in opengl extensions 1.2 through 1.4, the 5450 performs almost as well as it does in Windows. Haven't edited every fb monkey personality yet for testing, but "Eulemur" is the worst by far thus far. Maybe one of the other "monkeys" will surprise me and "outdo" "Baboon"?

This Sapphire card however, does overclock solidly to 750/850 in Windows without any additional cooling, and I'm using it at 800/850 right now with no issues, though I've a small fan trained on the heat sink. Once I'm sure it's solid, I'll flash it in Windows so it will run this way in OS X. Cinebench results improve dramatically, from ~9fps to 13+fps, which of course is not "great," but it is a $14.99 card, not $149. I for one like to squeeze every fps of performance from my hardware.

Try using PCIRootUID=1.

Hope you get your rig working.

@ machinist: thanks for your input! Tried Baboon via

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Baboon</string>

added PCIRootUID=1 as follows:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v PCIRootUID=1</string>

Isn't this redundant since I have before already tried

<key>PCIRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

?

Anyway, result: no improvement (ErmaC r1908 boot which seems most promising since it contains this card's values, supposedly ..)! DVD Player still does not launch, ioreg|grep ATY: no FB; SysInfo PCICards: no cards installed ..

When and where did you purchase your Saphire 5450 1GB DDR3? Would you please provide a link? I got the 100292DDR3L (Amazon) on February 10, 2012. I had the exact same BS before with an Nvidia card, and when we compared our card's ROMS we realized that they were *DIFFERENT*!

You can find my 5450's ROM here. I guess you know how to hex/bin compare files. If not just upload your ROM and I'll go ahead.

Thanks again!

BugsB:

I'm certain our cards are the same.

- Make sure device id 0x68E11002 is present in ATIRadeonX3000 and ATI5000Controller kexts. Continue to say "Yes" to the GraphicsEnabler.

(remove any injectors or inserters)

- Try PCIRootUID=1 and PCIRootUID=0. <key>PCIRoot</key> is not the same as <key>PCIRootUID</key> and would not have and will not work. You did it right the first time, but with a wrong command. I use the Property List Editor found in Apple's free Developer package, but if you simply enter, precisely, PCIRootUID=X when your chameleon volume choice presents, it reads as a boot argument. Your PCIRootUID value may be 0 or 1; try both. If you'd like, upload your boot.plist and I'll review it for you?

- Add Wait=Yes to your boot.plist so you can see which fb loads.

It's not the card. No offense, but you're likely making a very simple error somewhere, as when you previously entered PCIRoot for PCIRootUID, or reversed the order of the subsysid and subsys. For an alternate rom to be read, for example 1002_68E1_3000174b.rom, it must be in that specific format. Though it doesn't matter in this instance whether "E" or "b" is in caps or not, it does when you enter UseAtiROM=Yes, or AtiConfig=Eulemur/Baboon/Hoolock/OtherMonkey.

Good luck.

I've recompiled the ermac 1918 boot loader and after loading it with chameleon wizard in bdmesg.log i have:

Framebuffer @0xD0000000  MMIO @0xFE9E0000 I/O Port @0x0000DC00 ROM Addr @0xFEA00000
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
(AtiConfig) Framebuffer set to: Baboon
Nr of ports set to framebuffer's default: 3
ATI Cedar Saphire Radeon HD 5450 1024MB (Baboon) [1002:68e1] (subsys [174b:3000]):: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

and after running the ioreg|grep ATY i have this

ioreg|grep ATY
| |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002a6$
| |   |   | | +-o ATY_ATY,RadeonFramebuffer  <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x1000$
| |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002a7$
| |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002a8$

this is without running any of pcirootuid and without using any rom

as a conclusion: the dvd is not working but chess is working and anyother 3d game: i tested fifa 11

edit: i forgot to mention: the card is viewed as ati radeon 5000 :D

BugsB:

I'm certain our cards are the same.

- Make sure device id 0x68E11002 is present in ATIRadeonX3000 and ATI5000Controller kexts. Continue to say "Yes" to the GraphicsEnabler.

(remove any injectors or inserters)

- Try PCIRootUID=1 and PCIRootUID=0. <key>PCIRoot</key> is not the same as <key>PCIRootUID</key> and would not have and will not work. You did it right the first time, but with a wrong command. I use the Property List Editor found in Apple's free Developer package, but if you simply enter, precisely, PCIRootUID=X when your chameleon volume choice presents, it reads as a boot argument. Your PCIRootUID value may be 0 or 1; try both. If you'd like, upload your boot.plist and I'll review it for you?

- Add Wait=Yes to your boot.plist so you can see which fb loads.

It's not the card. No offense, but you're likely making a very simple error somewhere, as when you previously entered PCIRoot for PCIRootUID, or reversed the order of the subsysid and subsys. For an alternate rom to be read, for example 1002_68E1_3000174b.rom, it must be in that specific format. Though it doesn't matter in this instance whether "E" or "b" is in caps or not, it does when you enter UseAtiROM=Yes, or AtiConfig=Eulemur/Baboon/Hoolock/OtherMonkey.

Good luck.

my boot.plist is :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Baboon</string>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>LoginToLion</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and thanks for your support :) it's really appreciated

i386.zip

Vlad, your boot.plist looks fine. Add PCIRootUID=1 (or 0, whichever works) and that should be good.

Chameleon is seeing and identifying your 5450, but not matching it up properly to your board. The ioreg indicates you are loading the generic RadeonFb. Try the PCIRootUID argument and see if that flies?