Upgrade to Lion still shows 10.6.8 and other problems.

BarryB

12 posts in this topic

Installed Lion on top of my SL 10.6.8, but 'About This Mac' still shows 10.6.8? This is on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2.

My Asus 1GB GTX460 also now works as I'm running 1920x1200 and Chess opens and plays, but I still don't think it's fully working as dragging windows shows tearing? How do I check the GPU is installed and working correctly?

Also, Preview does not show JPG's when I click on them it just shows the app open but no image?

Should I do a new install? If so how to I make a bootable image of Lion?

Installed Lion on top of my SL 10.6.8, but 'About This Mac' still shows 10.6.8? This is on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2.

My Asus 1GB GTX460 also now works as I'm running 1920x1200 and Chess opens and plays, but I still don't think it's fully working as dragging windows shows tearing? How do I check the GPU is installed and working correctly?

Also, Preview does not show JPG's when I click on them it just shows the app open but no image?

Simplest way was for me to do a fresh install.

No one is going to respond to this thread and explain to you how to do a fresh install. You are going to have to Google and search this forum.

Try the MaLd0n method.

Or the xMove method.

you did no installation :-) The "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" is only a joke. In reality if you launch it, it does extract all the packages to your harddisk, then reboots and then the real install process will beginn.

But as we are on Hacks this is not working : The startup drive is changed from internal HD to a temporary mounted DMG ( Mac OS X Base System.dmg ) . The Mac boots from that like from a DVD/USB.

Chameleon is not aware of this setting that Lions installer does in the background - and therfore nothing changes. If you reboot after 10.7 "fake Install" you will be in Snow again, because the bootdrive has never changed for chameleon.

Thats why we need to do it from a second partition, a USB or a DVD. The trick is to simply pack all the files that the "app" extracts onto the USB/DVD - turning the symlink /System/Installation/Packages into a folder with the real packs inside.

So in short words : No Update for Hacks. Installing fresh "outside" OSX is the only way. But it is really easy. See the guide for creating a USB drive with chameleon in "Installation, 10.7" here at IM. Lion installs itself within 15 minutes from that way ( and you can add all your kexts to it ).

you did no installation :-) The "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" is only a joke. In reality if you launch it, it does extract all the packages to your harddisk, then reboots and then the real install process will beginn.

But as we are on Hacks this is not working : The startup drive is changed from internal HD to a temporary mounted DMG ( Mac OS X Base System.dmg ) . The Mac boots from that like from a DVD/USB.

Chameleon is not aware of this setting that Lions installer does in the background - and therfore nothing changes. If you reboot after 10.7 "fake Install" you will be in Snow again, because the bootdrive has never changed for chameleon.

Thats why we need to do it from a second partition, a USB or a DVD. The trick is to simply pack all the files that the "app" extracts onto the USB/DVD - turning the symlink /System/Installation/Packages into a folder with the real packs inside.

So in short words : No Update for Hacks. Installing fresh "outside" OSX is the only way. But it is really easy. See the guide for creating a USB drive with chameleon in "Installation, 10.7" here at IM. Lion installs itself within 15 minutes from that way ( and you can add all your kexts to it ).

Yep, just realised while reading a few topics on this. Used the xMove method and worked first time using Chameleon 2 RC5, now I have Lion 10.7 installed.

Just got to fix sound and network and try Preview again to see if it shows images. Also Chess hung on me with the 'spinning wheel' so had to Force it to quit? Wonder if that was due to no working sound?

*EDIT*

OK, all seems to be working! Found a kext for network (88E8056), got sound working, Chess seems to play now sounds is working and Preview shows images now :rolleyes:

The only problem is my GTX460, although it's detected and working at 1920x1200, it seems as though hardware acceleration is not working as everything seems a bit 'sluggish'? Should I re-install the Nvidia drivers I have: Retail_256.02.25f1v1.dmg or not? I'm not too bothered about borking my install as I know how easy it is to re-install :)

*EDIT 2*

Seems DVD playback is broke? "A Valid video device could not be found for playback [-70017]" Both my Sata drives show in System Profiler Serial-ATA and in Disk Util, I can even copy files off them but they won't play any DVD's?

Yep, just realised while reading a few topics on this. Used the xMove method and worked first time using Chameleon 2 RC5, now I have Lion 10.7 installed.

Just got to fix sound and network and try Preview again to see if it shows images. Also Chess hung on me with the 'spinning wheel' so had to Force it to quit? Wonder if that was due to no working sound?

*EDIT*

OK, all seems to be working! Found a kext for network (88E8056), got sound working, Chess seems to play now sounds is working and Preview shows images now :(

The only problem is my GTX460, although it's detected and working at 1920x1200, it seems as though hardware acceleration is not working as everything seems a bit 'sluggish'? Should I re-install the Nvidia drivers I have: Retail_256.02.25f1v1.dmg or not? I'm not too bothered about borking my install as I know how easy it is to re-install :)

*EDIT 2*

Seems DVD playback is broke? "A Valid video device could not be found for playback [-70017]" Both my Sata drives show in System Profiler Serial-ATA and in Disk Util, I can even copy files off them but they won't play any DVD's?

The GTX 460 is a tricky card. You are going to have to do a search. I'm not even sure its fully supported, but I'm no expert on it.

As far as the DVD playback is concerned I'm not sure. On my Rampage II Gene board I think I had to connect my DVD drive to the JMicron header for it to play DVDs. Otherwise it was a no go.

I have 3 DVD drives!! Plextor IDE DVD-ROM (Shows in System Profiler > ATA but is obviously not supported), Optiarc AD-7201S SATA and Plextor PX-B940SA SATA BluRay Writer, both the SATA optical drives won't work with DVD Player.

Also found lots of AVI's and MPG's won't play, Divx just quits with "Divx Player quit unexpectedly" and VLC shows black screen in but plays sound?? I'm thinking my GTX460 is not working correctly and the latest Nvdia drivers won't install saying they are not needed. Also, when I put in a DVD and it won't play I can't eject it, VLC needs to be forced to quit and then no DVD drives work at all?

It's late now and I've had enough of todays problems, might try again tomorrow if I don't get too disillusioned at the thought of facing the same problems :(

I have 3 DVD drives!! Plextor IDE DVD-ROM (Shows in System Profiler > ATA but is obviously not supported), Optiarc AD-7201S SATA and Plextor PX-B940SA SATA BluRay Writer, both the SATA optical drives won't work with DVD Player.

Also found lots of AVI's and MPG's won't play, Divx just quits with "Divx Player quit unexpectedly" and VLC shows black screen in but plays sound?? I'm thinking my GTX460 is not working correctly and the latest Nvdia drivers won't install saying they are not needed. Also, when I put in a DVD and it won't play I can't eject it, VLC needs to be forced to quit and then no DVD drives work at all?

It's late now and I've had enough of todays problems, might try again tomorrow if I don't get too disillusioned at the thought of facing the same problems :)

Try to add:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

to com.apple.Boot.plist in your Extra/Extension folder

Try to add:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

to com.apple.Boot.plist in your Extra/Extension folder

Tried that already, no difference I'm afraid, but thanks for the tip.

I'm off to try a fresh install from scratch now and see if that cures anything, at least I know how to fix sound/network so I can hopefully get a useable Lion install then work from there!!

Tried that already, no difference I'm afraid, but thanks for the tip.

I'm off to try a fresh install from scratch now and see if that cures anything, at least I know how to fix sound/network so I can hopefully get a useable Lion install then work from there!!

all your video issues ( black screen, only sound ) and dvd player saying "no valid blahblah" is meaning one thing : you have no QE/CI working.

The only thing in Lion that tells you directly is the transparent menubar. If it is grey and you are not offered transparency then QE/CI is non working. The ripple-effect in Dashboard is no more, so this is no indicator any longer.

pretty every video playpack app needs QE/Ci - photobooth for example ( for the effects ). Itunes coverflow, DVDplayer ( although Dvdplayer can hang or have issues even with QE/CI on , but the message : no valid ..xx is QE/CI related. ).

Well I've tried to reinstall Lion on a new partition but it's no go, just reboots after me telling chameleon to use -x and GraphicsEnabler=no, luckily I have a backup of SL so I can still boot into that to try and fix Lion, but so far nothing!! I also have the Lion installer partiton too to re-install Lion.

Will keep trying and see if I can solve these problems by reading more posts!!

I did have a grey taskbar in Lion BTW, and also the 'sluggish' feel suggests QE/CI isn't enabled, after I get a fresh install of Lion going I'll read up more on the GTX460.

Well I've tried to reinstall Lion on a new partition but it's no go, just reboots after me telling chameleon to use -x and GraphicsEnabler=no, luckily I have a backup of SL so I can still boot into that to try and fix Lion, but so far nothing!! I also have the Lion installer partiton too to re-install Lion.

Will keep trying and see if I can solve these problems by reading more posts!!

I did have a grey taskbar in Lion BTW, and also the 'sluggish' feel suggests QE/CI isn't enabled, after I get a fresh install of Lion going I'll read up more on the GTX460.

if you running fine with SL, try EFI string for your GTX460 or DSDT injection with lion, maybe will work.

you can also try taking the nvidia kext for SL and try it out on lion (though this way it's not purely 'vanilla')