[GUIDE] LION on Software RAID0 fully working..

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

magnifico

magnifico

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,446 posts

vboyz thank you for the guide. I have used your method tailored to my way of doing things and rebuilt two machines with Lion and bootable RAID 0 drive sets.

neil

You are a great man .

tdtran1025

tdtran1025

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
This guide is great! I followed this with supplement by Nathan7 and successfully setup a Stripe set to breath new life into my 2 slow HDs. Boot time is staved off 13 seconds, and the machine is much snappier. However, the kernel flag "npci=0x2000" used to advance verbose boot beyond "PCI Configuration Begins" no longer works in RAID set as it won't display anything else beyond PCI Configuration Begins.
It will continue to boot no problem, but will not display any more verbose. I checked both com.apple.Boot.Plist and org.chameleon.Boot.Plist to make sure the line is in there.
Any idea anyone?

tdtran1025

tdtran1025

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
But adding the kernel flags at boot screen will do it, I may add. So I am missing something...

tdtran1025

tdtran1025

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I have a kernel cache .....but i have again issue " cant find mach_kernel cache"

It appears you might have missed the last step of the guide in which you need to activate both partition of Boot OS X. Try that. Oh by the way, do not forget to create a kernel cache by doing this from Terminal:

sudo touch /Volumes/YourRaidVolume/System/Library/Extensions

I know it is very tiresome on the eyes when doing commands in Terminal as it is easy to mistype. One thing to look out for is response messages in terminal windows when you mistype.
Good Luck!

magnifico

magnifico

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,446 posts

It appears you might have missed the last step of the guide in which you need to activate both partition of Boot OS X. Try that. Oh by the way, do not forget to create a kernel cache by doing this from Terminal:

sudo touch /Volumes/YourRaidVolume/System/Library/Extensions

I know it is very tiresome on the eyes when doing commands in Terminal as it is easy to mistype. One thing to look out for is response messages in terminal windows when you mistype.
Good Luck!

I have this error
Last login: Tue Aug 16 20:39:03 on ttys000
Mac-Pro-di-Carmine:~ carmine$ sudo touch /Volumes/LionRaid/System/Library/Extensions
Password:
touch: /Volumes/LionRaid/System/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory
Mac-Pro-di-Carmine:~ carmine$

PS: How activate boot ?

tdtran1025

tdtran1025

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I have this error

Last login: Tue Aug 16 20:39:03 on ttys000
 Mac-Pro-di-Carmine:~ carmine$ sudo touch /Volumes/LionRaid/System/Library/Extensions
 Password:
 touch: /Volumes/LionRaid/System/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory
 Mac-Pro-di-Carmine:~ carmine$

The message indicates the the volume (or RAID set isn't there, meaning the naming is not correct as spelled. Check the name of the RAID set that shoes up on your desktop.
To mark both Boot OS X partitions active, do this in terminal:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (Ignore any fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/ standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory error)

:blink: f 3 C) w D) q

Repeat 1-4 with your other RAID member disk, rdisk3 in this example.

X is the number designated to your disk member of the RAID set.
If neither Boot OS X are marked active, you would receive the same error "can't find...".
In your case, I suspect it might have to do with typing the wrong name your renamed RAID set.

I am in the middle of writing a instruction documenting the steps I went through. It's slightly different from the two instruction sets found here since my setup is using GPT only. I am also experimenting splitting the disks into 2 partitions before joining them in RAID set. I also did tried a RAID card, but the result is unsatisfactory since I still have to deal with Chameleon to boot. So back to Apple software RAID I am.

Good luck

PS: How activate boot ?

muitommy

muitommy

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Piano x Mac OS X
For the error above, I guess you much touch a wrong directory, please check your path.

the guide is alright, though i have already done that. but the legacyhda don't seem to work well in S/L/E.
that's the downside.

desmogix

desmogix

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 810 posts
Hi,
I used this method for my disk array, only one problem: chameleon ignore /Extra on helper partition /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/ ... so fakeSMC doesn't load, so DSMOS doesn't arrive ...

I repeated every steps more and more times, no luck.
Some help ?

ps
if I boot from USB, if I edit UUID on org.chameleon.Boot.plist (on USB) with RAID0 disk one and if I run a different disk from Boot OS X, Install Mac OS X for example, /Extra is loaded and OSX on Raid0 boot, istead running BootOSX partition helper /Extra is ignored ... :/

edit: OS: Mountain Lion - BOOTLOADER: Chameleon r2069

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy