Lion on Asus P5B

Plucka

39 posts in this topic

Re-format your usb drive as in tutorials (be sure its guid not mbr), reinstall new chameleon on it and try again. Should work. (if you mean usb flash disk with lion install on it, not usb hard disk).

In bios ahci should be set.

Hey guys,

I already have Lion up and running on my notebook, I now wanted to install it on my desktop PC that has a P5B motherboard.

I'm facing this problem: anytime I boot from the external USB drive - where I have the install Lion partition, that always works on the netbook - it goes thhrough an endless loop of boot 0: done.

Do I have to change something in my BIOS settings? I have SATA config as enhanced, and config SATA as AHCI.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hey there, which guide did you use and what steps did you take when making the USB boot drive? Sounds like your BIOS settings are ok, do you have SATA or ATA (IDE) drives in your desktop?

Just need a little more info from you please, will try and help as much as I can.

Cheers mate, Plucka

Hey guys, first of all: thanks for your answers!

My PC Config is:

Asus P5B

SATA 500Gb drive

Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

3Gb Ram

ATI Radeon 4890

I got two external USB drives (and both work fine with my notebook, I used 'em to fresh install Lion):

one is MBR and goes through the endless boo0 loop

the other one is GUID (Mac OS Extended journaled) and when I boot from it I got:

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: test

boot0: done

boot1: /boot

and then the PC keeps on restarting

I'm now going to install chameleon (I'm using RC5 1083) and the needed mac_kernel on a USB stick and try to boot the USB drive through it...

Oh, I made my install Lion Partition following the sticky guides you can find on this thread

you did something wrong obviously! do you have flash drive of any capacity? or you using usb hard drives? i don't understand. and why do you use old chameleon? get one from kexts.com for example 1331 and make usb stick with it at first.

you did something wrong obviously! do you have flash drive of any capacity? or you using usb hard drives? i don't understand. and why do you use old chameleon? get one from kexts.com for example 1331 and make usb stick with it at first.

Yep, maybe, but it's not so obvious. I always acted this way: I create an USB stick chameleon only boot loader (with mac_kernel, boot and all it's necessary to make it starts), so in case I mess something up I stick the pen in the PC and boot the system from there. It always worked.

For example, if I have my PC, the USB Stick, and an external USB Drive with - let's say - CarbonCopyCloner and the install partition and I boot from the USB stick, I can always choose what system to boot. It's working even now with my notebook.

What happens with my P5B PC is that if I JUST plug the USB stick chameleon loads fine but, of course, I got nothing to boot. If I also plug the external drive with the install partition it just keeps on restarting.

I should investigate if this is a BIOS setting problem.

I'm using 1083 'cause it always worked, I'm now giving 1331 a try.

Thanks for your attention!

ok my bios settings are:

legacy usb - enabled

64/60 - disabled

ehci handoff - enabled

mass storage - all auto

so if i understand correctly, chameleon boots of flash disk fine, but if you plug your usb hard disk it restarts?

and i don't get it why you got nothing to boot, you should have at least internal drive and usb disk, no?

ok my bios settings are:

legacy usb - enabled

64/60 - disabled

ehci handoff - enabled

mass storage - all auto

so if i understand correctly, chameleon boots of flash disk fine, but if you plug your usb hard disk it restarts?

and i don't get it why you got nothing to boot, you should have at least internal drive and usb disk, no?

Yep, you understood it correctly.

I have the empty internal drive, and in the usb disk just chameleon, so, nothing to boot, but at least chameleon starts.

If I plug the external USB drive with the Lion install disk, it doesn't even start.

write lion installation files to the flash disk, then after you started installation connect usb drive if you need.

i dont have idea why it does restart for you. you may try to write in chameleon support forum.

edit: you can also try xpc bootloader

• 2 weeks later...
official realtek driver, works faster for me. delete realtekRTL81xx.kext before install..

It works for me too, thanks.

I just bought a new hard drive and a new USB stick and finally managed to install Lion. Everything's working fine now.

I had to substitute my ATI 4890 with an older NVidia 8800GTS, cause I couldn't install with it (I had a terrible split screen during the installation process), now I'll try to put the ATI back and make it work, any tip or suggestion would be very welcomed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Asus P5B-SE with an Intel Q6600, I went through the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method and installed snow leopard from a retail disc almost without issue. I updated to 10.6.8 and have been running for a month or so now without issue. Now since iCloud requires lion I thought I would give the upgrade a try. Since I had successfully used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for SL I decided to go with the Xmove route for a Lion install. So I set everything up according to tonymac's guide but when I try to boot into my install partition I get the dreaded "still waiting for root device" error. I have tried the rd=disk flag as well as installing kexts directly to the install partition, still get the same error and can't boot. What gives? Has anyone else ran into this error? Thanks!

• 3 months later...

nice, still some guys ( and girls) hanging round with the old, but steady boards, like me.

unfortunately i tried to upgrade my grafics to a geforce gt520, which seems to run only in lion.

so, what do we get with lion, where are our problems, what do we not get ??