Left with an Athlon XP.

SenVa

6 posts in this topic

I have been planning on getting a real mac, but being in highschool... and paying for gas and stuff really takes a toll on my cash.

I have had access to a few sse3 computers and real macs... up until now. They were either one of my siblings computers or being barrowed.

[/rant]

Here is my thought... Would it be possible to install darwin 8 on an SSE1 cpu with an SSE2 emulator built in its kernel?

Edit: It is possible to install darwin 8.0.1 on an xbox (no sse2) so i dont see why I can't install it on a Athlon XP http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Darwin

Once I have that can just install OSX with the sse3 emulator in it's kernel.

I know I don't have the skills to pull of such a task and I also know the speed loss... but I think that it would sure beat emulating OSX86 under QEMU.

Can anyone confirm that this would work? or even have a hunch that this might work?

May I go as far as asking if anyone has another way of getting OSx86 on sse1 only cpus?

I have done some research on xbox darwin... They have got the darwin kernel to run with out sse2... some other parts of darwin would need an sse2 emulator to be built into the kernel.

If that is able to be done and I am able to find drivers then im sure I could get a version of osx86 10.4.0 to work... Due to the fact that darwin 8.0.1 will only run that. I need to recreate the xbox darwin's patchs to a later version. Which is way to much work for something that isn't 100% to work.

There is alot of documentation of darwin for xbox... so if someone really wants to get darwin to run on sse1 cpus I would say it is possible, but it would be less work for them to get a job or two and buy a new computer, then it would be for them to do all the patches.

If there was a team built to do something like this I would like to help, but I don't have the time to start something like this... let alone do it all by my self.

I have done some research on xbox darwin... They have got the darwin kernel to run with out sse2... some other parts of darwin would need an sse2 emulator to be built into the kernel.

If that is able to be done and I am able to find drivers then im sure I could get a version of osx86 10.4.0 to work... Due to the fact that darwin 8.0.1 will only run that. I need to recreate the xbox darwin's patchs to a later version. Which is way to much work for something that isn't 100% to work.

There is alot of documentation of darwin for xbox... so if someone really wants to get darwin to run on sse1 cpus I would say it is possible, but it would be less work for them to get a job or two and buy a new computer, then it would be for them to do all the patches.

If there was a team built to do something like this I would like to help, but I don't have the time to start something like this... let alone do it all by my self.

i think that it would work but run very slow as each emulator takes up recourses and reduces the efficiency of the machine drasticially, so it would run like {censored} basicially, sorry SenVa, and i know how it is, i was in the same boat until recently...

max

Personally, I think it would be a much better investment of your time to work until you get the 200 bucks needed for a bottom-end intel system that supports sse3. Hacintosh stability and usability seems to be variable under the best of circumstances, and what you're describing is FAR from the best of circumstances.