Read wiki and FAQ but noob still has questions!

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new here, a bit of background,

Apple decided to announce x86 Macs and Windows compatibilty shortly after I bought a G4 Mac mini and a PC. It would be nice to run OS-X, Vista, XP (plus Linux, AROS, Amiga OS 3.9, Sky OS ;-) ) all on one box, and being that I will get peanuts selling my kit, I want to run x86 Tiger on my considerably more powerful PC until I get round to updating my hardware in a few years time (8 core MacPro by then).

I have been looking at the wiki and FAQ's on how to do this but I'm probably being a total noob but I still have a few questions.

1. Do I have to dual boot it or can I run it while Windows is running (non-native, virtualised)?

2. If I don't dual boot it what performance can I expect to get? It will be running on a 4800 X2 possibly overclocked. Can it handle Quartz Extreme effects?

3. To run it non-native, what version of VMWare do I need, VM Player, VM Workstation 5.5?

4. Can I use a legal x86 version of Tiger and then patch it or does all of this only work on patched versions from file-sharing sites?

5. Do I have even a remote chance of running OS-X on Virtual PC 2004? I think it pretends to be a BX chipset with a Trio 32/64 graphics card.

Best regards.

Hi,

I'm new here, a bit of background,

Apple decided to announce x86 Macs and Windows compatibilty shortly after I bought a G4 Mac mini and a PC. It would be nice to run OS-X, Vista, XP (plus Linux, AROS, Amiga OS 3.9, Sky OS ;-) ) all on one box, and being that I will get peanuts selling my kit, I want to run x86 Tiger on my considerably more powerful PC until I get round to updating my hardware in a few years time (8 core MacPro by then).

I have been looking at the wiki and FAQ's on how to do this but I'm probably being a total noob but I still have a few questions.

1. Do I have to dual boot it or can I run it while Windows is running (non-native, virtualised)? No, No.

2. If I don't dual boot it what performance can I expect to get? It will be running on a 4800 X2 possibly overclocked. Can it handle Quartz Extreme effects? Possibly, but give me more details on the rest of the system.

3. To run it non-native, what version of VMWare do I need, VM Player, VM Workstation 5.5? I don't know. I don't run it non-native.

4. Can I use a legal x86 version of Tiger and then patch it if you know how to patch it...or does all of this only work on patched versions from file-sharing sites? Most likely.

5. Do I have even a remote chance of running OS-X on Virtual PC 2004? I think it pretends to be a BX chipset with a Trio 32/64 graphics card. Sorry, I haven't tried it either.

Best regards.

Your best option is to get a patched version of OS X, (latest JaS would work fine) and do a native install.

Guest bikedude880
1. Do I have to dual boot it or can I run it while Windows is running (non-native, virtualised)?

You don't have to dual boot if you don't want to. As for virtualized, see question 3.

2. If I don't dual boot it what performance can I expect to get? It will be running on a 4800 X2 possibly overclocked. Can it handle Quartz Extreme effects?

Dual booting has no effect on performance. QE: depends on the mobo chipset or add-on graphics card.

3. To run it non-native, what version of VMWare do I need, VM Player, VM Workstation 5.5?

I would go with VM Workstation 5.5 as it has worked well for me, but beware, it will run slowly.

4. Can I use a legal x86 version of Tiger and then patch it or does all of this only work on patched versions from file-sharing sites?

You could patch it yourself, but it can be difficult. I would recommend a pre-patched version.

5. Do I have even a remote chance of running OS-X on Virtual PC 2004? I think it pretends to be a BX chipset with a Trio 32/64 graphics card.

OS X on VPC2004? Not likely. It can't handle the HFS+ filesystem.