[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

janitor

369 posts in this topic

Hi Langoo,

Ethernet port appeared as EN1 (EN0 remained there, but I just deleted it)

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist information as requested !

Good luck

TK

PS - I got the IONetworkingFamily.kext from a working SL hard disk

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>Intel82574L</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.Intel82574L</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>2.1.8</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>2.1.8b1</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Intel82574L</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.Intel82574L</string>

<key>Driver Parameters</key>

<dict>

<key>Dump EEPROM</key>

<false/>

<key>Enable TSO</key>

<false/>

<key>EnableLowPwr</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Flow Control</key>

<string>Transmit and Receive</string>

<key>Maximum Interrupt Rate</key>

<integer>8000</integer>

<key>Offload TCP/IP Checksum</key>

<true/>

<key>RxAbsoluteTimer10</key>

<integer>300</integer>

<key>RxAbsoluteTimer100</key>

<integer>300</integer>

<key>RxAbsoluteTimer1000</key>

<integer>64</integer>

<key>RxDelayTimer10</key>

<integer>25</integer>

<key>RxDelayTimer100</key>

<integer>25</integer>

<key>RxDelayTimer1000</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>RxDescriptorCount</key>

<integer>256</integer>

<key>TxBadPackets</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>TxDescriptorCount</key>

<integer>512</integer>

<key>TxQueueSize</key>

<integer>4096</integer>

<key>WaitForLinkUp</key>

<integer>6000</integer>

</dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10D38086 0x104b8086 0x10f68086</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string>IOKit</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily</key>

<string>1.5.0</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.7</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>8.10.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>8.10.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>8.10.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>

<string>8.10.0</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Network-Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hi Langoo,

Ethernet port appeared as EN1 (EN0 remained there, but I just deleted it)

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist information as requested !

Good luck

TK

PS - I got the IONetworkingFamily.kext from a working SL hard disk

Hi!

I also got it working and are now not experiencing any problems with the LAN anymore :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I'am brand new in Hackintosch.

I would like to install OS-X on my N36L. I use OS-X on my MBP and Mini, so it is the best solution for me.

I Install OS-X 10.6.3 by following Part 1 and Part 2 in the beginning of this Thread.

After installing OS-X the N36L reboot and I only get a blinking curser on a black screen.

I have 4GB RAM installed, but no ASUS Graphics Card.

Would it work without a graphics card.

Can everybody help me?

I read the complete Thread but i can't find out a solution, because my englisch is not the best.

Best Regards

Kurt

PS: I search by google "hackintosh blinking cursor" and i found out my partion

ist not bootable, but why? I select GUID by creating a Partition in the Harddisk Utiliti

during install.

Hi guys,

like Kurt i'm new to hackintosh, but i'm very interested in getting leopard server running on the N36L/N40L microserver.

first and most important question : how stable is it running ? any experiences ?

second: i just want to use it as a backup/file/streaming server for a macbook pro, macbook, iphone and ipad 2...

will it fit for this usage ?

will i have any limitations ?

how does it matter if i install an additional HD5450 or just use the onboard gfx from the N36L ? (i think its a HD4200)

thx in advance for your replys and sorry for my bad englisch :worried_anim:

best greetz

Hello,

my next 2 Problems, hope somebody can help my again.

Problem 1

Wenn I have 10.6.3 fresh installed i only coppy BCM5722.kext to S/L/E/ and run kext utility. Like S3 / Post #59.

I get an Error message that ati.....kext and bcm5722D.kext are not correct installed.

But after reboot i get a IP Adress per DHCP.

In the next step I install SL Server but the say the Erial Number is not valid or incorrect.

What is my mistake

Problem 2

When i update Chamelon 2 RC5 v747 or higher and reboot, they hangs in the grey sreen with the silver apple

and the spinning wheel often stops for a longer time. I wait for an hour but the dont start.

I try 3 different versions of chamelon.

I hope somebody can help me.

Cheers

Kurt

Hi,

now I did it.

SL Server 10.6.8 is running.

I installed BCM5722D.kext with Kext wizard and repair permissions and clear caches with Kext wizard.

The Network works fine and the serialnumber was past.

I don't installed a new chamelon.

But Wake on LAn does not work, first problem is that the machiene dosent't goes in sleep modus.

Cheers

Kurt

Kurt,

1. The onboard NC107i ethernet controller is not supported by OSX and the BCM5722D kexts are imperfect as they were not designed for this card, which is a BCM5723. The ethernet will disconnect after heavy use. You really need to buy a supported gigabit ethernet card and use that instead.

2. Next time you reboot Chameleon, start in verbose mode and look at where the boot process hangs. It may be because it cannot find your hard drive, which is a common problem.

3. The server does not go to sleep because it has no support in the bios for S3 state. This is typical of HP server bioses. If you want to use Wake On Lan, then you will need to purchase the Remote Access Card, which can restart the Microserver over the network after it has been shut down. However, HP only officially supports RHEL and Windows Server 2008 R2, so there are no guarantees that you can get this card to function under OSX.

Neokz,

Limitations are 32 bit kernel only, as the 64 bit kernel is unstable with this class of AMD processor. However, you can run 64 bit processes just fine. The onboard ethernet is not suitable for heavy use and you will save a lot of heartache by investing in a supported ethernet card. If you want to run this primarily as a server, then you will get good enough graphics to administer it (not necessarily at the full resolution of your screen) by using the onboard gpu, after which you can just ssh into the box to tinker around once you have your services set up.

For the purposes you have listed, this box should be able to cope with them all. One caveat is that the guide here relates to Snow Leopard. Leopard is older and you may have problems getting everything to work with existing Leopard kexts.

Hi splonk,

thank you for your answering.

1. I want to buy an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273618

2. I try it in verbose mode to locate the error.

But I think the right Harddisk where found because the grey sceen with the silver apple comes up.

And then the spinning wheels spins very slow and don't finish in one hour or more time.

3. Before I intalled OS-X, I used Linux/Ubuntu and I used hibernation and wake up with a magic paket.

Is anything like this possible with OS-X on the N36L.

Hope someone can help, I am not a Profi and spend a lot of time in the N36L.

Cheers

Kurt

Kurt,

1. If you boot in verbose mode, you do not see the grey screen at all but a black screen with moving text very similar to a verbose Linux boot process. The most common problem is "still waiting for root device". If you boot in standard mode, the grey screen with the apple and the swirls appears after the kexts have been preloaded from the Extensions folder and the system is probing the hardware to initialise it. The problems occur after this, so the grey screen does not mean that everything is ok. You need to boot in verbose mode to find out exactly where the problem is.

2. You can try hibernation in place of sleep. In Terminal, type this: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

Maybe this will work with Wake On Lan, but I have not tried this.

Hello,

Sleepmode dosn't work.

When i try it the network connection goes down, and then nothing.

When i reboot network works fine.

I try it in hibernation mode 1 and 0.

Any idea what it can be?

Has the SleepEnabler.kext located in /BackupExtensions anything to do with my problem?

There is no second SleepEnabler.kext on my N36L

Cheers Kurt

(And sorry for my bad english)

Hello again,

SL Server 10.6.8 is running on my N36L with 2GB Ram and the Intel Network Card.

I have some questions/problems.

1.I have the same problem like this:

the 10.6.8 process seems to be doing nothing, then I move the mouse and simultaneously the disk activity starts again.

Is there a solution?

2. Whats the way to get 1280x1024 with the onboard graphics

callumrogan in P6/#103 get the higher resolution, right?

3. The N36L does not support sleepmode S3, can I use suspend to Disk S4, or power of

with wake on lan S5.

4. When i buy the Managementcard, can I power on my N36L with a WOL Magic Packet, after a normal shutdown in OS-X?

Thank you for helping

Cheers

Kurt.

N36L does not support S3 at all, so the Sleepenabler kext is pointless. I have read that suspend to disk works in Windows and you confirmed that it does, too, in Linux but OSX is not designed for this hardware and how it interacts with the Microserver is a matter of experimentation. It would help if the Microserver were Intel based as we could try to implement some workarounds for the limitations of the bios by creating and editing a DSDT but the latter does not work so well with AMD based systems.

As far as I know with the Remote Access Card, the HP only officially supports RHEL and Windows Server 2008 R2 so only those two are guaranteed to work. Anything else is trial and error.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Changed network cards in order to stop the drop outs that were happening and used this one...

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-51210-64274-332466-64274-3769774-3769775-3769777.html

Which worked fine. However, whenever I try to browse the hard drive of any other system on my internal LAN (same workgroup) I get this error ...

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “<Whatever Hard Drive I search for>” can’t be found.

It worked fine when I was using the internal EN0 network card, but failing on the newly installed EN1 network card

Any ideas what I can do to fix it ?, as I need to be able to copy data across systems if possible.

Many thanks

TK

Hi,

Changed network cards in order to stop the drop outs that were happening and used this one...

http://h10010.www1.h...75-3769777.html

Which worked fine. However, whenever I try to browse the hard drive of any other system on my internal LAN (same workgroup) I get this error ...

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “<Whatever Hard Drive I search for>” can’t be found.

It worked fine when I was using the internal EN0 network card, but failing on the newly installed EN1 network card

Any ideas what I can do to fix it ?, as I need to be able to copy data across systems if possible.

Many thanks

TK

Looks like a driver error dropping the network connection. Check that you have a valid network connection using the network tool in utilities.

Looks like a driver error dropping the network connection. Check that you have a valid network connection using the network tool in utilities.

Thanks Splonk,

In my infinite wisdome I decided to remove my EN0 port from the Network Settings (as no ethernet cable is plugged into it)

However, with a suggestion from a fresh pair of eyes, I reinstated it and all now appears to be working.

Do not understand why if I'm using a new network card that I have to keep the old one active (even though it's not connected) but have learnt something new

Have also noticed, now that my machine is stable and stays on for weeks at a time, that the system time loses sync with the correct/actual time.

I can manually correct it by going into date & time preferences and manually changing the 'time.xxxxx.apple.com' time dropdown source. However wondered if anyone else noticed this and also if they found a work around.

Not a biggie at all

Thanks

TK

Mate,

It's not able to work on Lion yet. The person who's got the magic touch has the following site http://blog.nawcom.com/

If and when he gets Lion working .. his webpage will reflect it.

Pretty sure we've discussed this already .. did you try a search before posting ?

Cheers

TK

Anyone has tried installing Lion on Microserver?

Any success?