[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

janitor

369 posts in this topic

I did the following to tide me over with the mac address issue

Created a file with the following text :-

sudo -S ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55 (not sure if you need the -S bit)

exit

then saved it as macadd.command in my top level directory

Once done I ran a terminal session and entered the following command:-

chmod 775 macadd.command from the same directory

Then I added the macadd.command file to the system preferences, Accounts, <myaccount>, Login items

Now when I boot it runs the command automatically, upon logon, but still prompts me for the root password. However, at least this way i don't forget to do it.

Apparently, I can edit a file called sudoers which can disable the sudo password for certain commands such as ifconfig (for example) but can't work out how to do it yet.

I'm sure this is fairly simple, but I as my linux/unix skills are at about 0.1% it's pretty tough for me. I just google like mad.

HTH

TK

PS - For those that don't know:-

1. renaming a file to .command turns it into a 'shell' file that calls terminal when you run it

2. changing the permissions to 775 allows that shell permission to run

PPS - Splonk - Interesting that your results are different, I wonder why that is ?

PPPS - Cheers Janitor, glad to be able to give a bit back .. even if it's only a little (feeling very pleased with myself :) )

When I already have the ethernet connected and it has an IP from the router, I used to type the following command:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx...

and it used to freeze the system.

I've tried your sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx... and that also freezes my server. However, I had the thought that it could be because the ethernet was active. So whilst the server was frozen, I took out the ethernet cable, waited 20 seconds, put it back in, pressed the power button once and the shut down menu popped up which it always did, BUT the mouse started to move! It unfroze, I typed ifconfig and the mac address was the one I set! And connecting to shares worked fine! Great stuff!

I've already tried the gizmolabs method. It uses launchd to launch the script at boot, however, I could see the script being loaded (and a failed message) in verbose mode whilst booting and it froze the boot. Wouldn't let me get to the desktop, pressing the power button to continue boot would instead reboot the server.

I'll give it another go though. I'll also give your macadd.command method a go tk007b. :wacko:

Does anyone else's server freeze when running the sudo ifconfig command whilst the ethernet is already plugged in and has an IP with the 00:00:00:00:00 MAC Address?

Either way, we're getting closer to a permanent solution for it! Thanks all for the help and for posting on successful methods :(

Now when I boot it runs the command automatically, upon logon, but still prompts me for the root password. However, at least this way i don't forget to do it.

Apparently, I can edit a file called sudoers which can disable the sudo password for certain commands such as ifconfig (for example) but can't work out how to do it yet.

I'm sure this is fairly simple, but I as my linux/unix skills are at about 0.1% it's pretty tough for me. I just google like mad.

Just to add, if you want to edit the sudoers here's how to do it (bear in mind you should be careful when messing with the sudoers file but if you follow the instructions below, you'll be ok!):

1 - Make a backup of sudoers

sudo cp /etc/sudoers /etc/sudoers.bkup

2 - Edit sudoers using the sudoers command

sudo visudo

3 - Keep arrow down pressed until you get to the section User privilege specification and then arrow down so terminal cursor is at %admin

4 - Type $ then a then enter

5 - Type the following (replacing username with your username!):

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:/sbin/ifconfig

6 - Press ESC then :wq

7 - DONE! :)

It'll do what you want to do, I've just done it on mine. It means it won't require the password when using sudo with the ifconfig command. You'll still have to type sudo though, it just won't need the password.

Hope it helps :)

Hi Saf,

Thanks that did the trick !!! :):):):):)

As an alternative to the macadd.command option, I installed an app called Sickbeard (download scheduling / renaming app) and noticed they have their own method for auto running, which I have copied below.

1. Open Automator, choose new Application workflow.

2. Drag a 'Run Shell Script' action to the workflow area on the right.

3. Set the 'Shell' drop-down to '/bin/bash' and the 'Pass Input' drop-down to 'as arguments'

4. In the text box, clear the text there and replace with: /usr/local/bin/pythonw /Applications/Sick-Beard/SickBeard.py -d

5. Be sure to change the path to your SickBeard.py as necessary. Then Save As, Application, and save the file where you like. I put it in the SickBeard application folder.

6. From the System Preferences/Accounts pane, choose the user that will run SickBeard at login, choose 'Login Items', and click the '+' button to navigate to and select your new Automator application.

I'm sure you could modify it to work with the sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55 command quite easily and it may be a better option ??? ..possibly .. ??? .. just a thought.

Anyhow, i'll stick with the way I have it, as that 's working and if it ain't broke ... :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help :D

TK

When I already have the ethernet connected and it has an IP from the router, I used to type the following command:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx...

and it used to freeze the system.

Does anyone else's server freeze when running the sudo ifconfig command whilst the ethernet is already plugged in and has an IP with the 00:00:00:00:00 MAC Address?

Either way, we're getting closer to a permanent solution for it! Thanks all for the help and for posting on successful methods :blink:

Back in the old days when I needed to spoof MAC addresses to get hotel internet to work it was always considered good manners to proceed thusly:

sudo ifconfig en0 down

sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr etc

sudo ifconfig en0 up

lladdr and ether are identical btw. ether was used up to 10.4 after which lladdr is the preferred parameter. I'm wondering if the fact I have two ethernet cards is causing my woes. Removing one isn't going to solve many problems for me.

Ok, after spending the last 7 hours trying to solve my N36L issues, I seem to have done it!

It seems that the kext which janitor supplied for the ethernet card in the N36L wasn't the best one to use. I wasn't able to change mac address using commands in terminal. They caused the server to freeze, and only by pressing the power button a few times did it unfreeze.

Which brings me on to the next problem of having to press the power button to continue booting. The ethernet kext was causing the server to freeze during bootup requiring the power button to be pressed. I reinstalled everything, didn't use multiboot and manually put the IOUSB kexts in etc and it as the ethernet card causing all the freezes.

I've found another kext, put the device/vendor id in which gives a smooth boot and no freezes. Unfortunately, the mac address is still 00:00:00... but I've found something which will change it at bootup with no on screen prompts. All done automagically when booting so there's no problems and you never know.

I'll post the new kext along with the mac changing method tonight. Right now, I need time away from the laptop! It's either that or I was going to try some kexts and try to get my integrated graphics in the N36L to work at a better resolution than 1024x768!

But it looks like I might be able to use this as a server after all. No more power button / ethernet issues / connecting to shares issues! Just gotta see how stable it is for the next week or two.

P.S. Considering this has a 1.3ghz dual core AMD, its not bad. I've put on Plex and the Plex Media Server, and the N36L is easily able to live transcode SD + 720P MKVs and stream it out to my iPhone/iPad. Think 1080P might be pushing it but I'll give it a go later ;)

I am stuck with the networking issues .. No matter what I do, I can't access any ip address (not even my routers ip address) from SL. I checked my router's page from other pc and it shows HP's ip address connected to ethernet port but shows it as inactive.

Here is what I did up till now-

- Installed SL and updated to 10.6.8 (without USB rollback as it froze the USB and I had to reinstall everything)

- Installed IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext files using Kext Helper b7 in following combinations -

A - IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext files Both - Ethernet was green in settings but couldn't access any ip or website. (tried both manual with DHCP and manual Ip )

B - IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext files using Kext Helper b7 and Deleted BCM5751ethernet.kext - Ethernet icon turned red in the network settings

C- IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext files using Kext Helper b7 and Replaced IONetworkingFamily.kext with IONetworkingFamily.kext from another hackintosh SL - Network icon was green but no access to any ip address.

(Repaired permissions with kext utility in all of the above scenarios)

I am using the following specs

HDD 160GB

Onboard graphics

I'll really appreciate any help/suggestions to solve this issue.

Thanks

Here goes my way to solve the networking issues. Pay attention freebazee1, hopefully this will help! :) It looks like a lot, but every single step is there for newbies. It'll take about 5 minutes.

1. Leave IONetworkingFamily.kext untouched. Don't put in any kexts and don't edit it. Don't need it. Just delete anything which is AppleBCM57*** in S/L/E and also in S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext. Run Kext Utility after deleting anything and reboot.
  2. Unzip and put in the BCM5722.kext directly into S/L/E (NOT in IONetworkingFamily.kext) that I've attached below.
    BCM5722D.zip
  3. Run Kext Utility.
  4. Reboot. You should be have booted with no problems, no hangs and have a network connection but you most probably won't get an IP address. That's fine!
  5. Type 'ifconfig' in terminal and make a mental note of which one your ethernet is. Most probably en0.

Next the script that sets your correct MAC address and will make sure the kext works perfect when your turn your server on.

1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).

2. Type: cd /Library

3. Press Return.

4. Type: mkdir StartupItems

5. Press Return. (If you encounter an error, continue to step 6.)

6. Type: cd StartupItems

7. Press Return.

8. Type: sudo mkdir MACADD

9. Press Return.

10. Type: cd MACADD

11. Press Return.

12. Type: sudo pico MACADD

13. Press Return.

14. In the pico editor, paste in the following text making sure that you've edited the network interface (en0, en1 etc if you need to) and change xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx to your mac address.

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

##
# Configure a network interface MAC Address setting
##
#
# This script will set the MAC Address setting for the specified interface(s)
#
# The name of the interface (ex. en0) must be edited to match the interface
# to which the MACADD setting should be applied
#
##

StartService ()
{
ConsoleMessage "Configuring MACADD"

### uncomment lines and change the value following 'ifconfig' as appropriate for network interface and mac address

if [ "${MACADD:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then

/sbin/ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
/sbin/ifconfig en0 down
/sbin/ifconfig en0 up

fi

}

StopService ()
{
return 0
}

RestartService ()
{
return 0
}

RunService "$1"

15. When you have finished customizing the file, save it (press Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (press Control-X).

16. Type: sudo chmod 755 MACADD

17. Press Return.

18. Type: sudo pico StartupParameters.plist

19. Press Return.

20. In the pico editor paste in the following text (no editing required!):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Description</key>
<string>Can set MACADD</string>
<key>OrderPreference</key>
<string>None</string>
<key>Provides</key>
<array>
<string>MACADD</string>
</array>
<key>Requires</key>
<array>
<string>Network Configuration</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

21. Then save it (Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (Control-X).

22. Type: sudo chmod 755 StartupParameters.plist

23. Press Return.

24. Type: sudo pico /etc/hostconfig

25. When prompted, enter your password and press return.

26. In the pico editor, add this line at the bottom:

MACADD=-YES-

27. Save it (Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (Control-X).

When you restart the computer, your specified MAC address is set for the interface that you specified. Check it by typing ifconfig in terminal.

Notes

1. The MACADD will be reset after changing a Location, waking the computer from sleep, or changing the state of the network interface. To use the script again without having to restart, enter the following command:

sudo SystemStarter start MACADD

2. If you experience any issues or wish to not set MACADD during startup, you can turn off the new script by changing the MACADD line in /etc/hostconfig to:

MACADD=-NO-

DONE! :)

Everything should be set up and working fine.

Here is what I did up till now-

- Installed SL and updated to 10.6.8 (without USB rollback as it froze the USB and I had to reinstall everything)

I had the same issue but the USB rollback should really be done otherwise you might come across problems later on. I didn't do the rollback, didn't think it was necessary until I got a kernel panic when I plugged in a USB stick and it all froze. It's a bit random. But [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] didn't do the rollback for me either so use the following kexts I've attached. Install them with Kext Wizard Download Kext Wizard, select both kexts and tick the box which says System/Library/Extensions. And install and then repair permissions etc as normal when doing anything with the extensions folder. It's how I did it :) The reason why it froze the USB was that [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] deleted the IOUSB kexts but then didn't replace them so the USB stopped working.

USB_rollback_kexts.zip

Hope all that helps someone!

tk007b - Give my ethernet method a try, won't take long and the kext is a tad more stable along with the auto mac address setting which is a cleaner method!

Credits

The BCM5722D kext - credit goes to adlan. I just edited the device/vendor ID into the kext so it'd recognise our ethernet card.

The MACADD method - Copied it from somewhere and I've edited it to update it a little for our N36L. I believe the guide was written by Apple! I've just edited it.

The USB Rollback kexts - They're the ones [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] provide. Someone attached them to a post - can't remember who!

Sorry for the VERY long post! Just wanted to share what I've learnt/done :)

Let me know how it goes :)

Thanks Saf ... that was a really helpful post ... Actually I'M GETTING THE MAC ADDRESS WITHOUT USING ANY OF THE SCRIPTS. So when I rebooted after adding BCM5722.kext, MAC address was showing in the ethernet tab in network settings. I've rebooted couple of times after that and the MAC address is still there and also start up and shutdown are smooth too.

I'll continue with the USB roll back in the morning after setting up screen share, just incase :).

Thanks again

Thanks Saf ... that was a really helpful post ... Actually I'M GETTING THE MAC ADDRESS WITHOUT USING ANY OF THE SCRIPTS. So when I rebooted after adding BCM5722.kext, MAC address was showing in the ethernet tab in network settings. I've rebooted couple of times after that and the MAC address is still there and also start up and shutdown are smooth too.

I'll continue with the USB roll back in the morning after setting up screen share, just incase ;).

Thanks again

No problem, Glad I could help. I'm jealous that you've got the MAC address without the use of any scripts! Hmm, wonder if anyone else'll get it as well... Yup, shutdown/startup should be without any network errors now.

As soon as network starts working, I always enable screen sharing and remote login. Been burnt too many times with non-working USB and other problems!

:P

Hey Saf,

Firstly, Thank You :P:):):)

I have the same results as Freebazee1

No scripts needed, Mac address picked up directly from boot and appearing in Ethernet properties, once the downloaded kext was unzipped in S/L/E, Kext Utilities run and system rebooted.

Well done mate, this is excellent !!

Cheers

TK

PS - My Microserver is improving by the day :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PPS - Rip to my MacAdd.Command, it was fun while it lasted ! ;)

I think it will soon be time to break out the Ouija board with my box the way it is playing up.

I removed the second Marvel Yukon network card to see if it was causing my networking system to be unstable and I think it was. I managed to change the MAC address on the existing card without the system rebooting and I got a network connection. On rebooting the network interface had changed from en0 to en1. No biggie. I didn't get a self repairing MAC address so I tried Saf's script. Rebooted. The interface is now en2. WTF?

Glad to see it's working for you as well tk007b!

BUT ARGHHH! I'm unbelievably jealous. Might give it a wipe again and start from scratch. I WANT MY MAC ADDRESS TO SHOW AS WELL!!!! Hehe :)

:)

Hmm, Splonk, maybe we should give re-installing another go. I'm gonna give mine a go now. BTW Splonk, if it's showing en2 now, just edit the script to write en2 and hope for the best!

EDIT: tk007b - Did you buy the 160GB or the 250gb microserver?

Hi Saf,

Mine is the 250GB version

Sorry to hear you, and Splonk, are not getting the same results :)

Reinstalling may help, as I got into difficulties a while back and it helped me :)

Cheers

TK

PS - I have partitioned my drive into 3 :-

1. Master HD

2. Backup HD

3. Data HD

I keep copies of images on Data HD (a basic one and a basic one with update 10.6.8) using CCC and then clone the Master HD to the Backup HD (and vice versa if changes screw up the image). This way it's never too much of a pain to start afresh.

I learned the hard way from installing USB Rollback on the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] ! ;)

Hmm, I've reinstalled but it's still showing as 00:00:00:00:00:00 :)

Did you do anything differently? Anything at all in the original guide? Did you put my BCM kext in S/L/E and leave the original IONetworking?

Did you update the BIOS? Next time you restart your server or go in the BIOS, could you post your version please?

I've also got mine partitioned with a data drive to put backup images on! :D

I've not done anything with the bios. Re-installed as well and the ethernet still shows 00:00:00...

Can't really think what else I can change to get it to recognise my mac address!

Yup Splonk, I think it's best you re-install otherwise it looks like by the end of next week you're gonna be on en124! Hehe :P

This is what I've done so far :-

1. Updated the Bios to the latest HP and then put the hacked one on (v2.6.1) to allow my dvd drive to work

2. Installed 10.6.7 DVD with mod USB

3. Ran 10.6.8 Combo update and legacy_kernel-10.8.0.v2.pkg

4. Installed only Kext Helper b7 and Kext Utility from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

5. Chamelon version is v.20-rc5 r727 (will upgrade it to a later to see if that makes a difference)

EDIT: Upgraded to v747 and still works the same

6. Copied the com.appleBoot.plist file to the Extra folder

7. Installed both the IONetworkingFamily .Kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext files (before you wrote your post)

8. Copied the ATI5000injector.kext file to Extra/Extensions

9. Copied the ATI5000Controller.kext, the ATIFramebuffer.kext and the ATISupport.kext to the /S/L/E folder

10. Then I made the graphic kext changes as per your instructions

11. I am still yet to do the usb bit, but will do soon

12. Additionally, I have/am using the 5450 Graphics Card, a USB audio dongle and a internal SATA dvd drive.

13. Assumptions are: I added the maxmemxxxxxxxx commands, on boot, before I installed the plist file AND ran kext utility everytime I made a kext change

Not sure this will help you a whole heap, but here's hoping :P

Let me know if you need anything else

Keep the faith !!

TK

PS - Now that the start up runs smoothly, is there a way of making Chameleon boot to a default partition (after a few seconds), rather than waiting for me to manually press return each time I boot up?

7. Installed both the IONetworkingFamily .Kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext files (before you wrote your post)

Then when you put my BCM kext in, what did you do to the IONetworkingFamily .Kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext? Did you leave them both in? or leave the IONetworkingFamily in and remove the AppleBCM kext?

PS - Now that the start up runs smoothly, is there a way of making Chameleon boot to a default partition (after a few seconds), rather than waiting for me to manually press return each time I boot up?

Yup, edit your com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra. Add this in above </dict>:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

Hope that helps :P

I've installed this latest bios from hp

Thanks freebazee1, I'll give that a go later. Might as well update the bios to the latest one anyway :)

1. Updated the Bios to the latest HP and then put the hacked one on (v2.6.1) to allow my dvd drive to work

2. Installed 10.6.7 DVD with mod USB

3. Ran 10.6.8 Combo update and legacy_kernel-10.8.0.v2.pkg

4. Installed only Kext Helper b7 and Kext Utility from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

5. Chamelon version is v.20-rc5 r727 (will upgrade it to a later to see if that makes a difference)

EDIT: Upgraded to v747 and still works the same

6. Copied the com.appleBoot.plist file to the Extra folder

8. Copied the ATI5000injector.kext file to Extra/Extensions

9. Copied the ATI5000Controller.kext, the ATIFramebuffer.kext and the ATISupport.kext to the /S/L/E folder

10. Then I made the graphic kext changes as per your instructions

11. I am still yet to do the usb bit, but will do soon

12. Additionally, I have/am using the 5450 Graphics Card, a USB audio dongle and a internal SATA dvd drive.

13. Assumptions are: I added the maxmemxxxxxxxx commands, on boot, before I installed the plist file AND ran kext utility everytime I made a kext change

Not sure this will help you a whole heap, but here's hoping :)

Let me know if you need anything else

Keep the faith !!

TK

I've either of the 2 in my REVO - not sure which will suit you

Either this

Timeout=8 Number of seconds to pause at the boot: prompt.

"Instant Menu"=Yes Force displaying the partition selection menu.

"Default Partition" Sets the default boot partition,

=hd(x,y) where 'x' is the disk number, 'y' the partition number.

OR

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>yes</string>

I was just about to give up, but it's done! It works!

Ended up removing my BCM kext, and replacing it with the two janitor provided. Restarted with it and used internet on the buggy 00:00:00... requiring the power button presses. Then deleted AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext and installed my BCM kext and voila! Although when I restarted after installing the BCM kext, I went into the BIOS and in the boot order, I put network first and then Hard Drive. Not sure if that was what made it work...

tk007b + freebazee1 - next time you reboot, go into the bios and check what your boot order is.

BUT IT WORKS! WOOO! And to think I was about to give in and put Windows Server 2008 on. Tsk tsk tsk. Now to see how stable it really is :)

Freebazee1 - thanks, not sure what REVO is but done soem Googling and it's pointing me to make the boot changes to the plist file, so I'll give that a go :)

Saf, glad your sorted :)

My boot order is USB, CD/DVD, HDD and then network

Cheers

TK

Freebazee1 - thanks, not sure what REVO is but done soem Googling and it's pointing me to make the boot changes to the plist file, so I'll give that a go :D

Saf, glad your sorted :D

My boot order is USB, CD/DVD, HDD and then network

Cheers

TK

I'm really sorry, I didn't mention the plist file.. I kinda added to the saf's comment ...:)

REVO is acer revo R3610 ... Before starting this I brushed up my Mac skills by installing SL on that .. actually I tribooted it to install SL, Windows 7 and XBMC Live ....

Both the options will give you different results .. First one will show you the Boot options screen and then only boot after the stipulated time. And second one will skip the whole process and will boot directly the default partition. First one is Helpful when you are dual booting coz otherwise you can always press F8 to get the boot options but it depends on personal choice

I'm sure u know this already but just in case check this link for Chameleon Themes

Saf

My boot options are also in the same order as tk007b.

Maybe it's something to do with the iosnetworkingfamily.kext and version 10.6.7 coz as tk007b upgraded from 10.6.7 and I also picked up the kext from 10.6.7 installation on acer revo (I'm just saying ... I have got no clue ... :) )

Glad you fixed it

I was just about to give up, but it's done! It works!

Ended up removing my BCM kext, and replacing it with the two janitor provided. Restarted with it and used internet on the buggy 00:00:00... requiring the power button presses. Then deleted AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext and installed my BCM kext and voila! Although when I restarted after installing the BCM kext, I went into the BIOS and in the boot order, I put network first and then Hard Drive. Not sure if that was what made it work...

tk007b + freebazee1 - next time you reboot, go into the bios and check what your boot order is.

BUT IT WORKS! WOOO! And to think I was about to give in and put Windows Server 2008 on. Tsk tsk tsk. Now to see how stable it really is ;)

Didn't work for me so a reinstall is on the cards. By the way, Saf, did you recompile the 5722D kext with the correction someone posted in that thread or is it the version from the original poster?