Pre-made Custom G5 Rear I/O Ports + Cables

zammykoo

135 posts in this topic

I'm fairly handy but I have yet to try my hand at soldering. That said, I don't think it needs to be cut so much that I'll break the connections.

At this point I have nothing to lose so, my plan IS to try and whittle the board down on each side to see if I can get it to work. However, even if successful getting the board narrow enough, I am not that confident the pins will clear the mobo's ports in their current position. If successful, I'll certainly update this post as it might help somebody else.

zammykoo

Can you tell us dimensions of your board?

Coz i dont think it'll fit into 20.5mm between MB and case.

See example:

Sure, here it is. It looks like it is one millimeter thicker than your measurement.

Although if you are still interested, you can shave the end of the board down since there is about 1.5mm clearance between the metal trace and the edge of the board.

post-764180-1309733811_thumb.jpg

Hi zammykoo, I have encountered a problem with this device lol

It seems to not line up to the ports of my G5 case :S

I'm using the original G5 standoffs and everything, so I dont know what im doing wrong, I can post up pictures later if you wish

Thanks!

Edit: Do I have to remove the plastic rim for the ports for it to fit?

Hi zammykoo, I have encountered a problem with this device lol

It seems to not line up to the ports of my G5 case :S

I'm using the original G5 standoffs and everything, so I dont know what im doing wrong, I can post up pictures later if you wish

Thanks!

Edit: Do I have to remove the plastic rim for the ports for it to fit?

Yes you will have to remove the plastic trim for the ports to fit through the rear holes. If you do that, will it line up?

To remove the plastic trim you just have to pull it off, it takes a bit of tugging to get off. It is stuck on with double sided tape.

Hmm... If I had seen this some weeks earlier, I would not have spent some nights wiring my G5 IO panel :)

But I'm happy with my result, the way it looks now.

- could not look more original, apart from the black Ethernet port, but I could not rescue the old one :(

So, very nice idea!

I think you should optimize it, to integrate the FW-port, and to get rid of the "black holes" in the panel.

Best regards,

joshua

post-677453-1310655712_thumb.jpg post-677453-1310655725_thumb.jpg

Hey all, I have three units left to liquidate at %50 off! See original post for pricing information.

Pending shipment on all three units! Wow that was fast.

Thanks to those who have supported this project. It was a pleasure to build and I hope you will enjoy your units.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi zammykoo, there seems to be a problem with the audio ports

They are only playing back in mono for some reason :S how do I get stereo to work?

dolan, did you check if the connectors were plugged in well? I also noticed this while doing testing, which I've found out that the new audio plugs and connectors may have a thin film of residue form manufacturing. If you plug the audio cables in and swivel them inside a couple times you should be able to wear off the residue and get your stereo signal.

Let me know if this works for you.

I fixed it, turns out the pins wasn't aligned properly on the device

A new problem though... There is so much noise whenever I move the mouse or scroll etc

This is apparently due to the CPU or graphics card interfering, do u know a solution to this?

I fixed it, turns out the pins wasn't aligned properly on the device

A new problem though... There is so much noise whenever I move the mouse or scroll etc

This is apparently due to the CPU or graphics card interfering, do u know a solution to this?

Did shifting the custom audio header connector to the center position fix it?

I'm not sure what is causing the noise because from testing all of the units I did not encounter this. Is this an independent problem, or does it just happen when using the unit? If anything, it could be caused by signal interference.... you can try to fix this by shielding the unit with a metalic sheet. But be careful not to short anything out

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I know you said you stopped making these, but is there any chance at all that you could make just one more :)

If else, my college has PCB machines, so I could quite easily make & edit one with the plans.

Thanks,

Nick

If on the offchance I'm able to get hold of the PCB design, would you be interested if I made you one ?

I'd have to charge as my college makes me pay for the use of the PCB machine and all that, but I'd guess it will be about half the price of the 'originals' for me to produce.

Would you want dual ethernet ?

I'd probably reduce the size of the board (widthways and lengthways) and just do a single Ethernet, whilst keeping the dual USBs and line in and out audio jacks.

I'll need to get the design and parts list off of zammykoo first, but I think I should be able to produce it and ship for about £40, which is about €45 or $60. Is this reasonable or should I try to reduce the price a bit more ?

I'd probably do a limited run of 5, as there didn't seem to be masses of interest for the originals.

Thanks,

@Zammykoo, if you're reading this, please could I have the design pretty urgently as my college is closing the PCB maker down in the next week or two !