Pre-made Custom G5 Rear I/O Ports + Cables

zammykoo

135 posts in this topic

Is it possible to remove the connectors from the g5 motherboard?

Of course you can remove the fw connector from the g5 logicboard but it will not fit properly on this unit. Apple's custom jacks are raised a few mm off the circuit board, so if you were to install the apple fw jack on my design it would not line up with the rear case hole.

I'll post pics tonight when I get home.

Hey, I've never shipped anything internationally so but I believe s&h will cost $15 via USPS priority.

And as far as the firewire port goes... unfortunately I couldn't find any sources that supplied the correct firewire jack, so it was not included. I would love to add the firewire port to my design if someone happens to know where to find it.

If you are still interested I'll be happy to add you to the wait list.

Thanks!

I don't think ill be compatable for this build as my mobo is like this

post-460069-1305364771_thumb.png

post-460069-1305364801_thumb.png

am i out of luck ??

post-460069-1305364699.png

I don't think ill be compatable for this build as my mobo is like this

post-460069-1305364771_thumb.png

post-460069-1305364801_thumb.png

am i out of luck ??

Hm is this the later G5 model? I've totally forgot about this! Yes, looks like it will not be compatible :thumbsup_anim:

I wish i could build a board for that model too... but I don't have that case to do test fitments. If this means you aren't getting one anymore please let me know.

Hm is this the later G5 model? I've totally forgot about this! Yes, looks like it will not be compatible ;)

I wish i could build a board for that model too... but I don't have that case to do test fitments. If this means you aren't getting one anymore please let me know.

put me on the "when i get another case" list ;)) aww shucks aint that a …….. I wasn't paying attention to the ebay, photo's….. I opened the box like awww suki suki now….then came back to your site to check progress to then see the drama unfold …….dam ….i may try that soldering technique seen when people clip off the mobo

just waiting for the relevant tools to come then we start "operation condor" ( excellent film by the way)

Quick update:

I have slightly modified the pcb design for enough space to accommodate a firewire extension, to be added by the user. Board is longer now so plenty of room for stand off holes.

Also upgraded to a higher quality copper clad board, I really like how it looks/feels.

post-764180-1305691857_thumb.jpg

Shouldn't it say V 1.1 now :unsure:

J/K

Dude looking really good. Still very nice work!

Hm good observation, it should be the next version but I wanted to reserve ver 1.0 for the first production model. Maybe I should have labeled the test version beta?

Wow, this sounds very promising! When will production start?

Very soon my friend. I am waiting for the remaining cable shipments to come, which will be somewhere between the end of May to early June. But in the mean time I will be building the boards while I wait.

I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for being patient!

Alright fellas, my cable shipments are in, I have been putting some kits together.

All is well, however I ran into a bit of a setback... the audio cables don't have typical insulated wires, but rather they are magnet wires, which are not made to be crimped. I have been trying to figure out the best way to use these... and I think I may have to just solder them directly to the board.

If anyone can think of a better solution to use the header pins for the audio, feel free to let me know. I'd much rather do this because it will speed up the process.

This is the complete kit (with the audio wires attached)

post-764180-1306290513_thumb.jpg

post-764180-1306290522_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to receiving it. Please PM me your Paypal info when you are ready to accept payment and ship.

okolowicz, I am now ready to take pre-orders! Please see post #1 for info/rules. Thanks!

Hey guys,

Quick update, I've been behind the scenes doing some troubleshooting. I figured out a solution to the audio cable issue and also fine tuning the circuit design.

Here's the beginnings of the production models. Hopefully if all goes smoothly I'll be shipping the first couple units by this weekend (June 4th). Remember, first come first serve!

Stay tuned.

post-764180-1306901648_thumb.jpg

okolowicz, your item has been shipped. Check your PM for tracking information.

For those who are from outside the US, I will be shipping your orders soon. Please bare with me as I make sure I have the necessary customs paperwork.

Thanks!

okolowicz, your item has been shipped. Check your PM for tracking information.

For those who are from outside the US, I will be shipping your orders soon. Please bare with me as I make sure I have the necessary customs paperwork.

Thanks!

No probs! From the pics and videos, its looking really good!

• 2 weeks later...

After receiving mine and trying to get it to work for me I have a couple of questions/comments.

Overall, it is a nice piece of kit but there are a couple of things which, depending on one's intended layout, make it difficult to fit. First, the dual ethernet model I bought is too long to be used if you're mounting your PSU in the stock location at the bottom of the case. That said, the second ethernet port wasn't a requirement for me so, I merely cut the board just above the bottom ethernet port. All in all an easy feat. At this point I thought it would be smooth sailing but...

Once I got the board to a good length I ran into a second problem which I am unable to solve. The board is about 2mm too wide to fit between my motherboard and the back of the case. I'm using an mATX mobo and mounted it in a way that enables the use of the existing PCI-E slots on the back of the case. And, while there is some room between the mobo's I/O ports and the back of the case there is just a hair to little room to use this board as currently designed.

Please don't take this as a knock on the product. Granted, it did not work for me but I'm looking at it as a 1st generation model ;)

This of course leads to a suggestion for you Zammykoo. If you could make the board narrower it would be a near perfect solution. Additionally, the USB ports and pins would ideally be moved further toward the back of the case. This would entail them extending beyond the board a little bit but that's OK because they'd still fit through the case holes.

My 2 cents

~B

PS I'll post some pictures a little bit later to better illustrate what I'm rambling about.

okolowicz, sorry it didn't fit your application but thanks for your feedback. I will definitely keep these comments in mind for future builds.

I actually struggled with the width of the board, and spent quite a bit of time on its trace design. There is really not a lot of options because there are so many pins.

Would you say that the board's width should be about the size of the USB jack? I actually wanted have it that slim because of issues like this.

If you are handy with tools I can see one solution that can work for you. If you want to, carefully grind the board to the desired width and solder jumper wires where the traces have been broken. You will only need to solder three small jumper wires.