• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Lkr

Lkr

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
is there a way to run this by booting off a usb drive instead of using a DVD? also, what if I have nvidia graphics? i'm using a GTS 250. Does the DVD have to be a 10.6.3 dvd as well, or will 10.6 work?

Stefan16

Stefan16

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Anyone tried this on HP Pavilion dv7 1240us ?

the specs:
Product Name dv7-1240us
Product Number
NB230UA#ABA
Microprocessor
AMD Turion X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Mobile Processor
Microprocessor Cache
2.10 GHz
Memory
4096MB
Memory Max
8192MB
Video Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M
Video Memory
Up to 1918MB
Hard Drive
320GB (5400RPM)
Multimedia Drive
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display
17.0” Diagonal WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity
  • 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN
Sound Altec Lansing speakers
Pointing Device
Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad
PC Card Slots
1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
External Ports
  • 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
  • 4 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 4th port shared with eSATA
  • 2 Headphone out
  • 1 microphone-in
  • HDMI
  • 1 VGA (15-pin)
  • eSATA + USB 2.0
  • 1 RJ-11 (modem)
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
  • 1 notebook expansion port 3
  • 1 Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)

JoSe7en

JoSe7en

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

I've been meaning to try your guide for a long time, so finally I've got some time.
First my specs:
Motherboard: Asrock 870 Extreme
CPU: AMD 1055T
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5770 1Gb
RAM: 4Gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz
HDD1: Crucial C300 64Gb (for win 7)
HDD2: Samsung T1 1000Gb (for data)
HDD3: Seagate ... 250Gb (for snow leopard)

I could write a while about what I've tried but I'm just gonna tell my problem. I've had this with many other guides I've tried before. Booting is no problem with the nawcom Bootcd.

I followed your guide until the 64-bit part. So I should be able to boot without any bootcd. TThe Only problem is: Still waiting for root device.
As you can see on the photos.
http://imageshack.us.../p1000610y.jpg/
http://imageshack.us.../p1000611c.jpg/

Any way to get around this? I've had this many times in the past and tried so many things but I just thought I'd ask it this time...

Thanks in advance

Devout

Devout

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
My last guide was an overkill compared to this new revised guide! :D Enjoy! 10.6.8!

thenellt

thenellt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I followed this guide exactly except I had to use the modcd to install 10.6.3, but the install process worked.
My hardware is as follows:
Phenom II X6 1055t
880g chipset motherboard
8gb DDR3 1600
Radeon HD 5870

My problem is that no matter which kernel or boot flags I used I could never get the install to boot on its own.
If I follow your guide and boot with the parameters, busratio=18 and -v then I get a generic kernel ip panic.
What should I be doing differently?

Clayf700

Clayf700

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
is this possible to do with ModCD?

Legends

Legends

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I'm on Nvidia gpu. I don't have to follow the "Adding your Device-ID" part because it's for ATI cards, right?

Devout

Devout

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I followed this guide exactly except I had to use the modcd to install 10.6.3, but the install process worked.
My hardware is as follows:
Phenom II X6 1055t
880g chipset motherboard
8gb DDR3 1600
Radeon HD 5870

My problem is that no matter which kernel or boot flags I used I could never get the install to boot on its own.
If I follow your guide and boot with the parameters, busratio=18 and -v then I get a generic kernel ip panic.
What should I be doing differently?

Just to confirm you're booting it with MODUSB/CD once you've installed it right? You're not supposed to be just booting into the install, because there might already be a preloaded bootloader, don't use that, boot back into ModUSB/CD and boot up the install drive.

That's strange, try booting up with:

rd(0,0)/extra/modbin_kernel arch=i386 maxmem=2048 busratio=18 -v

If that doesn't work, take a picture. Describe where it's getting stuck, verbose log etc? Does it turn into black screen? It will help identify problem.

is this possible to do with ModCD?

ModCD is indentical to ModUSB, so it should work ;)

I'm on Nvidia gpu. I don't have to follow the "Adding your Device-ID" part because it's for ATI cards, right?

Skip the Device-ID part, even some ATI cards who already have CI/QE won't need to add device-ID, but mine needed it to have CI/QE. I'm not sure about Nvidia cards, but they are normally working right ;)?

Legends

Legends

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I'm not sure. My old 8400m gs worked fine on Leopard but in Snow not.

Tried with GraphicsEnabler, NVinjects... no luck (I followed 10.6.5 guide).

I will try your guide asap, thanks for that ;)

PS: Is there a simple guide for Kalyway AMD on Virtualbox (just for restoring Snow on the usb key)?

Devout

Devout

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I'm not sure. My old 8400m gs worked fine on Leopard but in Snow not.

Tried with GraphicsEnabler, NVinjects... no luck (I followed 10.6.5 guide).

I will try your guide asap, thanks for that :D

PS: Is there a simple guide for Kalyway AMD on Virtualbox (just for restoring Snow on the usb key)?

I'll PM you :D

Clayf700

Clayf700

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Right now i am testing this in VMware before i insert it onto my blank 500GB hard drive, and i made a video of exactly what i did. see if you can tell what kind of errors i am getting.

http://www.mediafire...em38a0vuu9lyz18

my specs are:
AMD Anthlon™ II X64 620 Processor with 2.61GHz (4 Cores and a free 500GB hard drive)
AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series Video card
M4A78T-E Motherboard

Thank you!

Devout

Devout

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Right now i am testing this in VMware before i insert it onto my blank 500GB hard drive, and i made a video of exactly what i did. see if you can tell what kind of errors i am getting.

http://www.mediafire...em38a0vuu9lyz18

my specs are:
AMD Anthlon™ II X64 620 Processor with 2.61GHz (4 Cores and a free 500GB hard drive)
AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series Video card
M4A78T-E Motherboard

Thank you!

I hate that line because it's not actually a bug, it should load in 5-10 minute after that line, it's normal. Keep carrying on, and I'll whisper you backup if that's not working. But yeah, it should carrying on loading. I see you're trying to set it up in VM first, but it's not always viable to see if it works there first using the same method as the method I used to install it on VM is different to the hardware install. Check your personal messages. for more information.

kilo_17

kilo_17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
If I "restore" the disc to a USB drive, will it leave the files on the actual disc intact? I ask this because I'd like to try this with a friends installation DVD to make sure it works before I go and buy my own disc, and I don't want to ruin his disc in the process.

Devout

Devout

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

If I "restore" the disc to a USB drive, will it leave the files on the actual disc intact? I ask this because I'd like to try this with a friends installation DVD to make sure it works before I go and buy my own disc, and I don't want to ruin his disc in the process.

Ofcouse, you can't write files to the installation DVD anyway since it's read-only.

kilo_17

kilo_17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, I went ahead and bought it anyway, it should be here in about 2 weeks (couldn't find it locally of course). Once that comes I should have all the stuff I need. I was wondering, how can I "restore" the disc to the USB drive w/out a Mac?

Devout

Devout

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Ok, I went ahead and bought it anyway, it should be here in about 2 weeks (couldn't find it locally of course). Once that comes I should have all the stuff I need. I was wondering, how can I "restore" the disc to the USB drive w/out a Mac?

If you bought it it's even better. You can just download ModCD, burn that to a disc and use that instead of ModUSB. Just once you put ModCD in, when it reaches to a screen where you select different drives/CD's, take ModCD out and put the Snow Leopard disk in and then follow the guide as if normal :)

a.k.a you don't need to restore the disc image anymore :wacko:

kilo_17

kilo_17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Great! I'll post back here once I start working through the process of installing it, just have to wait for my CD to come.

shjin

shjin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello.

I installed MacOS 10.6.3 in Virtual Box (latest version) with the help of "OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021".

When i start to boot it says "Not an Intel platform: Restart fix not applied!". And when i shutdown/restart MacOS i get a kernel panic.

So how do i apply the restart fix?

http://www.abload.de...elpanicg7yb.png

Devout

Devout

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hello.

I installed MacOS 10.6.3 in Virtual Box (latest version) with the help of "OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021".

When i start to boot it says "Not an Intel platform: Restart fix not applied!". And when i shutdown/restart MacOS i get a kernel panic.

So how do i apply the restart fix?

http://www.abload.de...elpanicg7yb.png

When I shutdown/restart in Virtualbox it always kernel panics for some reason. Not sure why, but it's always happened. I've not found any way of applying this restart fix, but it does get annoying. I've not used the OS in virtual box for a long period in time, so I can't really give you any help since this guide is a Retail install not a Virtual environment install, Sorry.

CYNiCALStudios

CYNiCALStudios

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Hey, as you may know, Nawcom's server went down.. So can anyone mirror me some of the links off his website? (modUSB and Legacy Kernel 10.7 and 10.8) :) thanks a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy