[AMD] 10.6.8 Guide - written by Devout

Devout

122 posts in this topic

AMD Guide 10.6.8 – written by Devout

Hello, Welcome to my revised version of the AMD Guide, I wanted to share my success further by revising this guide to focus on making the installation more simpler than ever. Before we can actually install the OS, we need to do a couple of things to prepare the installation media.

Installation Requirements

• Retail disc of Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3
• A USB thumb drive (8GB+) or External Harddrive
• A destination of installation, an external or free internal partition formatted GUID.
• ModUSB: http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=569
##### (latest):
• Legacy Kernel 10.7.0 (10.6.7): http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=640
• Legacy Kernel 10.8.0 (10.6.8): http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=791
• 10.6.7 Combo Update: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361
• 10.6.8 Combo Update: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

1. Preparing the Installation Device

• You will need to restore the 'Retail disc of Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3' onto the [uSB Thumb Drive/Harddrive]. You can either do this on a pre-existing Mac or a Virtual Machine. Since a lot of guides already tell you how to do this, then I will skip to the next step.

• Once the Installation disc is restored onto the USB Thumb drive, open up the ModUSB pkg file. It is very important while installing this you change the installation location to your [uSB Thumb Drive/Harddrive], orelse you can ruin your Mac -/- Virtual Machine.

• ModUSB will install some files onto the Installation device, this can take a couple of minutes, so wait patiently as it installs.

• Once this is completed you have successfully created the Installation device. We can now move on to the Installation.

2. Installing the Snow Leopard

• Plug your Installation device [uSB Thumb Drive/Harddrive] into your computer, and boot up the computer while pressing the required button to activate boot menu (which allows you to boot the USB).

• Once booted up, MODUSB should load it's bootloader, Once you reach a screen where there are different drives on the screen, use the keyboard arrows to move to the [Mac OS Install] drive, this will be your [uSB Thumb Drive/Harddrive].

• Without pressing anything, type:

rd(0,0)/extra/modbin_kernel arch=i386 busratio=18 -v

• After you finished typing that out, you should see it on the bottom left corner in a small input box. Press enter to boot up the Installation process.

• The screen should turn black and several lines of white text will appear, once the first set of lines have finished appearing you should be asked to press any key to continue.

• Press any key, and this time the log will show more lines of white text, wait 5-10 minutes for the installation USB to load, and if it stops at any certain point, please take a picture and post in this thread. It should load with no problems, if you've followed the previous steps correctly, or else it could relate to hardware problems.

• Once loaded, you’ll be asked to enter your language preference. Just click your native language and continue. If you need to format your hard drive, then click on ‘Utilities’ and click ‘Disk Utility’. I won’t be covering a guide for partitioning your drive, as it’s pretty straight forward, and there’s guide out there already.

• For this guide, you will be installing on a GUID partition, but you may want to install on a MBR partition. In this case, this guide won’t work, since you haven’t patched the files on the CD. Please refer to the AMD guide 10.6.5, for more information, dealing with this matter. You can always burn the Retail disc and reburn it with the patched files.

• Anyway, the installation setup should be pretty straightforward. Select your hard drive and customize your install, if you look on the list on the bottom should be "Custom Options", most of these have been selected for you, but alter them if you are missing something, otherwise I turned everything else off that I didn't need: printer support, Language Translations). Confirm the Install of OS, and this should take 30-40 minutes. (Don’t be afraid if it takes an hour).

• If it fails, post back.

3. Snow Leopard 10.6.3

• Once the installation has been completed, restart the machine (It’ll do it automatically). Boot back into ModUSB by pressing the Boot menu button and then once you see the drives screen you should see the hard drive you installed Mac OS X Snow Leopard on.

• Select it, but don’t HIT ENTER. Type in

busratio=18 -v

•The white lines of texts will scroll down the screen, press the key to continue and the loading continues with another set of lines, take a picture of the screen if it fails to load. It should take around 5-15 minutes. It if take more than 5 minutes, don't panic.

•If it’s loaded congratulations, that’s the first part done! And you've successfully installed 10.6.3.

4. Snow Leopard 10.6.7

• Locate your 10.6.7 combo update, and start installing the combo update. Once completed, DON’T RESTART. We’ll need to install some other files to make it work.

• We need to add your Device-ID to the ATI kext so you can get CI/QE. Scroll down until you see the Device-ID section.

• Now open and install Legacy Kernel 10.7.0, once completed, move onto ##### (3.8.0). During the customization process, I installed it with these options:

System Utilites: Checked
Drivers and Bootloaders > Bootloader: Chimera
Drivers and Bootloaders > Miscellaneous: ElliottforcelegacyRTC, EvOreboot, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement
System Definitions > Mac Pro: Mac Pro 5,1
Themes: tonymacx86 classic
OSx86 Software: All of them checked

• It takes a while to install but once completed you're done. Reboot the machine. This time you won't need to use ModUSB, so let your harddrive load and you should see your installation drive. Press a key to interrupt the bootloader automatically loading your drive, and hover over your installed hard drive like before.

• Type in:

arch=i386 -v

• Now press enter and load your Snow Leopard, it should take 5-10 minutes and even more. If the log stops please post a picture in a reply post. But please wait patiently, as it can take longer depending on your machine.

• You've now got a working copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.7!

5. Snow Leopard 10.6.8

• Locate your 10.6.8 Combo Update pkg, and Install it. Once completed, move onto the next step.

• Open and install Legacy Kernel 10.8.0.

• Re-add your Device ID (Scroll down and see the Device-ID section) in your ATI kext like before since the 10.6.8 has updated the ATI kexts. Don't roll back, as this seem to have caused my machine to fail.

• Reboot, and don't forget this when booting up

arch=i386 -v

• You should be able to boot back in without any problems, if you get an error in the verbose log then take a picture and post it in the thread.

• If everything is loaded, including CE/QI! Then you've got a fully capable 10.6.8 AMD machine!

Adding your Device-ID

• To allow your ATI card to function correctly, you might need to add your Device ID to an ATI kext to allow QE/CI to function correctly.

• Open up System/Library/Extensions and find either ATI4000controller.kext or ATI5000controller.kext (or the ATIXXXX that matches your graphics card, a.k.a 5750 = ATI5000controller.kext). Copy this to your desktop.

• Right click the kext, and click ‘Show Package Contents’. Open the folder ‘Contents’ and you should be able to find a file named info.plist in this kext. Open it up with Textedit.

• Locate a ‘<key>IOPCIMatch</key>’ and underneath should be a ‘<string’ tag with lots of ‘0x68BE1002’ between the tag and the end tag ‘</string>’ these are device ID’s. Google your graphics card and see if you can find your device ID, if you can’t then post in this thread, or Google how to find your device ID.

• Add your device-ID to the end (with a space after the last device ID, and make sure you enter it before the </string> I.E: 0x68BE1002 0X00000000</string>)

• Once you’ve completed open the Kext utility in the Setup.zip file, and drag the kext you’ve edited to the kext box. Type in your password, and click the ‘Easy Install’ button the install. Once completed, you’ve added your device string so your graphics card should be loaded (with QE/CI).

--

Thanks for following the revised guide, I thought these new steps are even easier than before! If you are looking for the old guide, I've posted them here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...53767&st=0#

Devout – Revision Guide: 005 (08 - September 2011)

• Like 1

I was formatting and pressed the post button by accident, I'll link it as soon as a possible and format the rest of the guide! Sorry!

EDIT: Updated! I'm still formatting, but the guide should be followable now! :)

Hmm, what do I do if the Snow Leopard DVD doesn't show up in Chameleon?

Have you got an external hard drive/another USB flash device for use? We could try restoring the disc to the device, and then use this source as the installation cd replacement, however it'll require a pre-existing mac or Hackintosh.

You could try pressing F5, but I'd doubt that'll work.

AMD Guide 10.6.7 – written by Devout

OLD GUIDE - 10.6.7 AMD Guide written by Devout

Hey! Welcome to my guide! This guide has been written to help you run the latest Mac OS X on your machine! This will probably be the last guide in the Snow Leopard lineup. This guide has been written in simple yet detailed steps! So let’s start.

Before you can install the OS, you’ll need a couple of files and utilities. I can’t help you get all of these items, but I’ve provided a short list of what you’ll need. You’ll probably already have most of these items, but if you don’t I strongly advise you to use these items, since it’s how the guide has been written.

Installation Requirements

• Retail disc of Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3

• A USB thumb drive (2GB+)

• A destination of installation, an external or free internal partition formatted GUID (This can be easily edited to be installed to an MBR partition via LINK)

• You need this SETUP.zip that I have provided that will help you run the OS

on your machine.

• 10.6.7 Combo Update

SETUP.ZIP download: http://www.mediafire.com/?pw4gzmi42s5vlfo

1. Preparing BootCD 1.5

We’ll be using a slightly older version of BootCD, to install the OS. You’ll find the BootCD.iso in the BootCD 1.5 folder. You will also need the myHack 1.1.4 installer, located at the root of the SETUP.zip.

Run the myHack Installer on your USB thumb drive, this will take a couple of minutes, since the process of generating the Extentions.mkext, takes a while, even though we’re going to delete most of the files, we need it to make the USB thumb drive, bootable.

Once completed, on your USB thumb drive, perform these actions

Locate /Extra/
Delete the files contained in this folder
Keep this window open
Open a new Finder window 
Locate /usr/standalone/i386/
Keep this window open

Open the BootCD.iso (1.5), this will mount on to your desktop. Once it’s mounted, open the file. A new window will pop open, and it’ll have two folders. (Extra and Usr)

Open the Extra folder, and copy the contents. Paste this to the window (/Extra) that you left open, on the USB thumb drive.

Now, go back to the BootCD.iso root, and you’ll see the other folder (Usr). Open the folder, and you’ll see a folder called standalone, open that one and you’ll see a folder called i386. Open this folder, and there will be a file inside, called cdboot.

Copy this file, and paste it to the other window you left open (/usr/standalone/i386). If you’ve done it correctly, you should be prompted with a dialogue, asking you if you want to replace an existing file. Replace the file (may require username password).

Once replaced, you’ve successfully prepared the BootCD! On your USB thumb drive![/size][/b]

2. Installing the Snow Leopard

Insert your Retail Snow Leopard disc (10.6.3) in the DVD drive of the machine you’re going to install the OS on. And insert the USB thumb drive to one of the USB ports.

Turn on the machine and you should press the button to activate boot device or BIOS (to edit the device priority of the USB thumb drive to the top). In my case, I press F8 to activate the boot device manager. I’ll select my USB thumb drive, and it’ll start loading.

Your screen should say mounting preboot.dmg, no ramdisk config, done. (Or something similar) If an error pops up, there’s a problem.

Once loaded, you should see a screen with a grey screen with a selection of drives and a CD.

Select the Installation CD, and DON’T HIT ENTER! Type in “-v” without the brackets, and hit enter. This will boot the CD under verbose mode; this allows us to define the error, if it stops.

Now, if the screen stops for 3 minutes or more, at one point, please take a picture of your screen and post it in this thread. I can’t help you unless you take a clear photo, so please be cautious, that you’re showing everything.

This step is either make or break, it’ll either load without problems or load with problems that I might’ve not ran into before. We will treat this step as it worked, and we can continue with the installation, to finish the rest of the guide.

Most loaded, you’ll be asked to enter your language preference. Just click your native language and continue. If you need to format your hard drive, then click on ‘Utilities’ and click ‘Disk Utility’. I won’t be covering a guide for partitioning your drive, as it’s pretty straight forward, and there’s guide out there already.

For this guide, you will be installing on a GUID partition, but you may want to install on a MBR partition. In this case, this guide won’t work, since you haven’t patched the files on the CD. Please refer to the AMD guide 10.6.5, for more information, dealing with this matter. You can always burn the Retail disc and reburn it with the patched files.

Anyway, the installation setup should be pretty straightforward. Select your hard drive and customize your install (I turned everything off, even printer support, leaving only Additional Fonts). Install the OS, and this should take 30-40 minutes. (Don’t be afraid if it takes an hour).

3. Configuring Snow Leopard

Once the installation has been completed, restart the machine (It’ll do it automatically). Boot into boot manager, and select your USB thumb drive again to boot up BootCD. Once loaded, you should see your hard drive that you’ve installed Snow Leopard to.

Select it, but don’t HIT ENTER. Type in –v, and then load up the hard drive. It should start loading. If the loading process stops at any given time, then please take a picture of the error, and post this on this thread.

If it’s loaded congratulations, that’s the first part done! There’s still a lot to do!

Locate your 10.6.7 combo update, and start installing the combo update. Once completed, DON’T RESTART. We’ll need to edit the BootCD. This will be a direct edit of the first time we’ve created the BootCD, so it’ll be easier to follow this time round, because it’s basically the same thing, but with the newer ISO.

Open your USB thumb drive and perform these actions:

Locate /Extra/
Keep this window open
Open a new Finder window 
Keep this window open

Open the BootCD.iso (1.6) this will mount on to your desktop. Once it’s mounted, open the file. A new window will pop open, and it’ll have two folders. (Extra and Usr)

Open the Extra folder, and copy the contents. Paste this to the window (/Extra) that you left open, on the USB thumb drive.

Now, go back to the BootCD.iso root, and you’ll see the other folder (Usr). Open the folder, and you’ll see a folder called standalone, open that one and you’ll see a folder called i386. Open this folder, and there will be a file inside, called cdboot.

Copy this file, and paste it to the other window you left open (/usr/standalone/i386). If you’ve done it correctly, you should be prompted with a dialogue, asking you if you want to replace an existing file. Replace the file (may require username password).

You’ve updated the BootCD to 1.6, however we need replace the boot file so that it’ll load your ATI graphics! Open the SETUP.ZIP and open the folder Kayl Boot File.

Open your USB thumb drive root, and rename the boot file (will require showallfiles; which is also in the Setup.zip, just run the file and press Show). Paste the Kayl Boot file to the root, and you’re done. DON’T RESTART YET!

We’ll need to edit your graphics card kext to load your graphics card. You’ll also need to experiment on the correct Aticonfig=XXXX to load your specific device. Open up System/Library/Extensions and find either ATI4000.kext or ATI5000.kext. Copy this to your desktop.

Right click the kext, and click ‘Show Package Contents’. Open the folder ‘Contents’ and you should be able to find a file named info.plist in this kext. Open it up with Textedit.

Locate a ‘<key>IOPCIMatch</key>’ and underneath should be a ‘<string’ tag with lots of ‘0x68BE1002’ between the tag and the end tag ‘</string>’ these are device ID’s. Google your graphics card and see if you can find your device ID, if you can’t then post in this thread, or Google how to find your device ID.

Add your device-ID to the end (with a space after the last device ID, and make sure you enter it before the </string> I.E: 0x68BE1002 0X00000000</string>)

Once you’ve completed open the Kext utility in the Setup.zip file, and drag the kext you’ve edited to the kext box. Type in your password, and click the ‘Easy Install’ button the install. Once completed, you’ve added your device string so your graphics card should be loaded (with QE/CI).

Restart!

4. Loading the Snow Leopard

Boot into boot manager, and select your USB thumb drive again to boot up BootCD. Once loaded, you should see your hard drive that you’ve installed Snow Leopard to. Select the hard drive but do NOT HIT ENTER.

Type in “-v AtiConfig=XXXX” without speechmarks. Replace XXXX with one of the following:

•	Alopias
•	Alouatta
•	Baboon
•	Cardinal
•	Caretta
•	Colobus
•	Douc
•	Eulemur
•	Flicker
•	Galago
•	Gliff
•	Hoolock
•	Hypoprion
•	Iago
•	Kakapo
•	Kipunji
•	Lamna
•	Langur
•	Megalodon
•	Motmot
•	Peregrine
•	Quail
•	Raven
•	Shrike
•	Sphyrna
•	Triakis
•	Uakari
•	Vervet
•	Zonalis

Google to see which AtiConfig, you can use. But if you can’t find any information, then I’d suggest you try all of these config names. (I know there’s a lot, but it’s worth it, if you want QE/CI) Mines Vervet, which is 5750.

Press Enter to load the OS, and if it stops, then please take a picture and post a reply on the thread containing the picture. Please make it a clear picture, and describe the problem associated.

If it loads! Congratulations, you’ll probably need to change the resolution, but if you have a translucent apple bar (the bar on the top), then QE/CI is enabled! Open up System Preferences, and click Display to change the resolution.

You have a successful running build of 10.6.7! Now we can finalize the installation with, icing.

5. Icing the Snow Leopard

Open the Setup.zip folder, and there’s a folder called 10.6.7 Legacy Kernel by Nawcom. Open this and there will be a file called mach_kernel (I’ve already renamed it).

Open the root of your Snow Leopard drive, and rename the old mach_kernel to back it up. Copy and paste the 10.6.7 legacy kernel (from the Setup.zip) to the root, and you’ve installed a more optimized kernel!

The USB thumb drive is getting annoying to boot right? We’ll be fixing it up now, so you can boot it straight for hard drive. Run myHack 1.1.4 installer from the Setup.zip, and wait till it installs. We are going to copy the steps from earlier to reflect the hard drive instead.

Open your Snow Leopard Hard Drive and perform these actions:

Locate /Extra/
Keep this window open
Open a new Finder window 
Keep this window open

Open the USB Thumb Drive.

Open the Extra folder, and copy the contents. Paste this to the window (/Extra) that you left open, on the Snow Leopard Hard Drive.

Now, go back to the USB Thumb Drive root, and you’ll see another folder called (Usr). Open the folder, and you’ll see a folder called standalone, open that one and you’ll see a folder called i386. Open this folder, and there will be a file inside, called cdboot.

You’ve updated the mirrored the BootCD to your hard drive! Now we need to finalise the boot.plist, so that you don’t have to type the AtiConfig all the time.

Open the Extra folder on your Snow Leopard Hard Drive. In this folder, open Preboot.dmg. It’ll mount this and it’ll show up on your desktop. Open it and open ‘Extra’. There should be a file inside called ‘com.apple.Boot.plist’. Open this with Textedit, and you should find a string called <Kernel Flags>. The string should contain some pre-existing flags that the BootCD file came with. This is my string: <string>-v arch=i386 Aticonfig=Vervet</string>.

Edit the string so that it contains the Aticonfig of YOUR GRAPHICS CARD (The config, you use to boot into Snow Leopard, not mine Vervet, unless it’s the one you use). You can remove the verbose mode if you are confident, that you can boot into Snow Leopard without any errors (you can still type in the flag before booting the drive).

Once completed, you’ve updated the boot.plist. Eject the preboot.dmg and you’ve done!

Install any remaining kext, which you’ll need specifically: (wireless, sound etc.) I can’t help you in this department since I don’t know your specific hardware. Once installed with kext utility, you can reboot.

It should reboot without any problems, and everything should be running without a charm. The bootloader should boot from hard drive, so there isn’t any need for the USB thumb drive. If a problem persist, please contact me, if it doesn’t boot, but you can still boot from USB thumb drive, you’ve probably made an error, copying the files from the USB thumb drive boot files to the Hard drive boot files.

6. 64’fying Snow Leopard

Open up Setup.zip and open the folder ‘bin’ there should be one file inside called ‘amd_insn_patcher’. Copy this and paste it to your Snow Leopard Hard drive: /usr/bin. (You’ll need showallfiles to see this directory; you should still have it enabled form the installation guide)

Open Terminal: Applications>Utilities. Run these commands.

•	sudo -s
•	amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched
•	cp /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
	 update_dyld_shared_cache

Reboot, and before entering your hard drive, type: -force64 and hit enter to boot into the OS with 64 bit capabilities. If it works, then we’ll add this to the boot plist.

Open the Extra folder on your Snow Leopard Hard Drive. In this folder, open Preboot.dmg. It’ll mount this and it’ll show up on your desktop. Open it and open ‘Extra’. There should be a file inside called ‘com.apple.Boot.plist’. Open this with Textedit, and you should find a string called <Kernel Flags>. The string should contain some pre-existing flags that the BootCD file came with.

Edit the string so that it contains –force64. The string should look like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386 Aticonfig=Vervet –force64</string>

Once completed, save the file and eject the preboot.dmg. Reboot and it should boot into 64 bit without having to enter the flag manually! Once completed, you’ll have a perfect running 10.6.7 Hackintosh!

7. Snow Leopard Vie (Life)

Optional: French Blue? YUCK!

Every time you log in you see this ugly blue screen before it loads into Snow Leopard. Why does it have to be Blue? We will be editing it, so that, it’s black!

Open: (Show all files using showallfiles in Setup.zip) /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Configuration.plist

Scroll down and you’ll see:

<key>Desktop</key>
<string>FrenchBlue</string>
<key>Fade</key>
<string>FrenchBlue</string>

REPLACE WITH:

<key>Desktop</key>
<string>Black</string>
<key>Fade</key>
<string>Black</string>

Restart, and the French Blue will be gone! It’s a lot better since the blue doesn’t match the rest of the OS anymore (It’d be perfect still for Aqua though).

Bye. Thanks!

Thanks for reading, and supporting my guide! I hope you had an easy installation. Many thanks to many of the users on this forum, that have inspired me to write my own guide. 10 pages later in word, and here I am. The word count is worrying though; hope you like reading WALL OF TEXTS! :)

Devout – Revision Guide: 004 (30 - March 2011)

I ended up just burning the BootCDs, and now its working fine for me, but some files you left out of the setup.zip, like the kernel, but I was able to google those files easily.

I forgot about that, my CD/DVD drive is broken, so I had to find a work around :P

Also, yes I forgot the 10.6.7 kernel, however I recommend, you only use it after you have a working system as the included within bootCD, should be able to boot into 10.6.5+ without any problems. However, don't restart after combo update or you'll get black screen, but you will still be able to boot into safe mode. Just remember to follow those steps for adding your device id as it's the most important.

What's your graphics card, I'll help you find device-id/aticonfig.

I have a 5670.

Device-id for your card should be:

0x100268D8

Use this flag for Aticonfig=XXXX

Aticonfig=Uakari

Did you restart after combo update? You should of edited some files before you restarted, anyhow that's too late. Boot up with "-x -v". and follow this:

We’ll need to edit your graphics card kext to load your graphics card. You’ll also need to experiment on the correct Aticonfig=XXXX to load your specific device. Open up System/Library/Extensions and find ATI5000.kext. Copy this to your desktop.

Right click the kext, and click ‘Show Package Contents’. Open the folder ‘Contents’ and you should be able to find a file named info.plist in this kext. Open it up with Textedit.

Locate a ‘<key>IOPCIMatch</key>’ and underneath should be a ‘<string’ tag with lots of ‘0x68BE1002’ between the tag and the end tag ‘</string>’ these are device ID’s. Google your graphics card and see if you can find your device ID, if you can’t then post in this thread, or Google how to find your device ID.

Add your device-ID to the end (with a space after the last device ID, and make sure you enter it before the </string> I.E: 0x68BE1002 0x100268D8</string>)

Once you’ve completed open the Kext utility in the Setup.zip file, and drag the kext you’ve edited to the kext box. Type in your password, and click the ‘Easy Install’ button the install. Once completed, you’ve added your device string so your graphics card should be loaded (with QE/CI).

Don't restart yet, get the BootCD 1.6 from my SETUP.ZIP and then mount it, then replace boot file (with the one in the setup.zip, and then burn it onto a new CD. Then use this one to boot off, and type in "Aticonfig=Uakari -v" and it should boot! :P

<br />Still stops at mbinit<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Are you installing it on external? Try unplugging your USB devices after the you hit enter. Did you burn the new bootCD 1.6 with boot replaced file? Also the USB needs to be in caps on the flag sorry:

USBLegacyOff=Yes

If it doesn't work screenshot and post back.

I'm going to reinstall OSX86, its pretty weird though, I followed all of your steps, I had Chameleon, I did the IOPCI, had 10.6.7, graphics working fine with QE/CL, but suddenly, it stopped working.

(this was all before I got the checkboard out of nowhere and posted here)

I got my graphics card working now, I copied the files from the BootCD 1.5, instead of the 1.6, and didn't use the Aticonfig or the chameleon with ATI. I removed the ATI kexts that came with 10.6.7, and used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install the ATI kexts from there. But I'm having a problem with getting sound over HDMI. VoodooHDA's system preferences pane manages to detect that I have HDMI audio, but I don't see digital-out (HDMI) in the sounds pane though.

I got my graphics card working now, I copied the files from the BootCD 1.5, instead of the 1.6, and didn't use the Aticonfig or the chameleon with ATI. I removed the ATI kexts that came with 10.6.7, and used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install the ATI kexts from there. But I'm having a problem with getting sound over HDMI. VoodooHDA's system preferences pane manages to detect that I have HDMI audio, but I don't see digital-out (HDMI) in the sounds pane though.

I can't help with sound since It's something I haven't bother to configure. My keyboard has an onboard sound usb pnp device that allows me to seamlessly use that instead of bothering with any hardware related sound source.

First, thanks for the guide. It's proving helpful thus far despite the fact I have yet to install SL on my system. The only issue I have is that I'm not using an AMD/ATI graphics card but an NVIDIA one (I do have a 5830 sitting around, though).

In the past, I've had trouble getting a fully working version of OS X on my desktop. Probably due to my lack of experience with some of the more customized setup required for AMD systems and maybe my hardware. I'm not against doing secondary configuration once I have a base system installed and working. I've spent a while Googling beforehand and haven't found any applicable answers as everything applies to 10.5 or before and not my current hardware.

Edit: I've gotten iDeneb 1.4 working but I can't get BootCD 1.5 to work from my USB flash drive. I follow your directions exactly and it just won't boot when booting from the boot menu of my BIOS. It says "boot0: <weird symbols and no booting>". The weird symbols are just that. Nothing explained. I've redownloaded just to make sure it wasn't a bad download and I still get the same issue. Does the USB flash drive need to be formatted in a specific way?

I can get OSX to install without problem, but OSX just boots to a grey screen and -v does not report any errors. However I can boot into safe mode -x and it loads fine to desktop. I have tried -force64 and busratio=16 flags but it still boots to a grey screen. Any ideas...?

Asus m3a32-mvp 790fx + SB600

Phenom II x6 1090T

4GB RAM

ATi Radeon 3870HD

I can get OSX to install without problem, but OSX just boots to a grey screen and -v does not report any errors. However I can boot into safe mode -x and it loads fine to desktop. I have tried -force64 and busratio=16 flags but it still boots to a grey screen. Any ideas...?

Asus m3a32-mvp 790fx + SB600

Phenom II x6 1090T

4GB RAM

ATi Radeon 3870HD

Your graphics card is a tricky one, it's the problem here. Boot safe mode, and tell me if your graphics card is detected. For some reason it's not enabled during boot up (probably loading QE/CI out of it, and it's not loading your gfx card)

First, thanks for the guide. It's proving helpful thus far despite the fact I have yet to install SL on my system. The only issue I have is that I'm not using an AMD/ATI graphics card but an NVIDIA one (I do have a 5830 sitting around, though).

In the past, I've had trouble getting a fully working version of OS X on my desktop. Probably due to my lack of experience with some of the more customized setup required for AMD systems and maybe my hardware. I'm not against doing secondary configuration once I have a base system installed and working. I've spent a while Googling beforehand and haven't found any applicable answers as everything applies to 10.5 or before and not my current hardware.

Edit: I've gotten iDeneb 1.4 working but I can't get BootCD 1.5 to work from my USB flash drive. I follow your directions exactly and it just won't boot when booting from the boot menu of my BIOS. It says "boot0: <weird symbols and no booting>". The weird symbols are just that. Nothing explained. I've redownloaded just to make sure it wasn't a bad download and I still get the same issue. Does the USB flash drive need to be formatted in a specific way?

Nope, have you tried burning BOOTCD to disc? (ISO file) : 1.5 ISO: http://www.mediafire.com/?a43a9rw422x20sp