ZAMMYKOO G5 Case Mod (No cuts)

zammykoo

64 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm gonna start the project this week-end !

Mobo came already, I'll get the other parts this friday.

First step : make the front i/o cable. Shouldn't be too hard :o

I'll keep you posted when I'll start to work on the rear i/o ports.

Sounds good, keep us posted.

Nice mod :)

Do you have a pin layout for the rear i/o ports? Im planing on doing something similar but i dont have a clue about soldering these pins =/

Thanks, I don't have the whole pinout diagram but I did a quick drawing or the audio and usb pins. If you are looking at the bottom side of the board with the ports facing toward you, here's how it looks.

post-764180-1308796754_thumb.jpg

If you think this is a bit of a task and decide not to take it on, I am building and selling custom rear I/O ports with all wires needed.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=255055

I've been pretty busy but still managed to get a few things done.

Thanks to our good friend AlohaCab, I got my cable in the mail and plugged it up. After installing a few drivers and tinkering around I got the power button, audio, usb & led to work. Still working on the firewire... but then again I'll probably never use it. My mobo seems to be very picky.

In continuation from my last post, I was able to finish the aluminum bracket that serves to tie down the PSU and hold the power jack in place. I used the existing bottom-rear two screw holes, so no need to drill the case.

So here's today's main attraction:

It's like origami.

post-764180-1302066989_thumb.jpg

No glue. No mess.

post-764180-1302066996_thumb.jpg

post-764180-1302067002_thumb.jpg

Zammykoo, how did you make the socket for the aluminium extension? I want to do the exact same thing!

dolan,

It took some figuring out to design the aluminum bracket because I had to make sure my PSU would fit in that exact location. I just took measurements and did a drawing on the pc. I've made custom brackets before so it came easily to me. I just printed the design out and used tin snips to cut the shape out and used pliers to bend it accordingly.

I'll see if I can dig up the drawing for you if interested.

And for the I/O unit hook-up, heres the instructions. It should be self explanatory at this point but feel free to ask if you are still stuck.

post-764180-1309485808_thumb.jpg

post-764180-1309485817_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I'm gonna start the rear i/o panel this week-end, the dremel and the diamond shaft came.

Is it possible to use the ethernet port by soldering the existing pins ?

By the way, I made my own front i/o cable ... and it works ! (well at least LED, power button and USB, I have not tried audio and firewire yet :P ). The tact switch on the dvd drive was just a piece of cake and it works like a charm also.

Sounds good, keep us posted.

Thanks, I don't have the whole pinout diagram but I did a quick drawing or the audio and usb pins. If you are looking at the bottom side of the board with the ports facing toward you, here's how it looks.

post-764180-1308796754_thumb.jpg

If you think this is a bit of a task and decide not to take it on, I am building and selling custom rear I/O ports with all wires needed.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=255055

Your USB pinout is technically wrong, you've mixed up d+ (green) with d- (white). At first I followed your pinout but when I measured the usb pins with a multimeter I got d- in the d+ spot and vice verse so I swapped them so they're red, green, white, black. Then I connected it to my machine and tested with an USB mouse and it worked perfectly. So for anyone who might see this after me and attempt the same thing, be a aware that you should swap data + and - in the picture. The audio one were perfect so that's all good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

After 1 month (well I could work on it only week-ends though), my G5 mod is 99% done !

I made my own cable : LED, Power button, USB and Firewire are working well. I don't know why the audio isn't working but it's not really a big deal for now.

I didn't want to cut the back of the case but I also wanted to be able to use all the ports on the back so I cut it anyway.

Still thinking how I'm gonna customize the rear I/O panel (the 1% to end the mod ;))

I replaced the rear fans and fixed two 12cm on the front.

Using Andyboot 5, I installed 10.6.8 from scratch (did get a KP at the end even I removed the plugin, restart and everything works smooth).

Overall, I'm pretty happy about the result.

Just wanted to let you know and if you have any idea why the front i/o audio is not working ;)

PS : will post one or two pictures later.

Your USB pinout is technically wrong, you've mixed up d+ (green) with d- (white). At first I followed your pinout but when I measured the usb pins with a multimeter I got d- in the d+ spot and vice verse so I swapped them so they're red, green, white, black. Then I connected it to my machine and tested with an USB mouse and it worked perfectly. So for anyone who might see this after me and attempt the same thing, be a aware that you should swap data + and - in the picture. The audio one were perfect so that's all good.

Thanks for pointing that out! As I mentioned I drew that from memory.

Hi,

After 1 month (well I could work on it only week-ends though), my G5 mod is 99% done !

I made my own cable : LED, Power button, USB and Firewire are working well. I don't know why the audio isn't working but it's not really a big deal for now.

I didn't want to cut the back of the case but I also wanted to be able to use all the ports on the back so I cut it anyway.

Still thinking how I'm gonna customize the rear I/O panel (the 1% to end the mod :) )

I replaced the rear fans and fixed two 12cm on the front.

Using Andyboot 5, I installed 10.6.8 from scratch (did get a KP at the end even I removed the plugin, restart and everything works smooth).

Overall, I'm pretty happy about the result.

Just wanted to let you know and if you have any idea why the front i/o audio is not working :D

PS : will post one or two pictures later.

Can you post a picture of the audio wiring?

• 1 month later...

Hey zammykoo, how did you do your wireless networking?

I bought a mini wireless macbook wifi card, and a mini pci-e to a pci-e adaptor and stuck it in...

Problem is, the signal is too weak (no cuts, antenae are inside the case)

How did you solve the issue?

And... for some reason this card only works on windows, on osx it messes up... even though its meant to work out of the box?

I bought a mini wireless macbook wifi card, and a mini pci-e to a pci-e adaptor and stuck it in...

And... for some reason this card only works on windows, on osx it messes up... even though its meant to work out of the box?

hi dolan, I do not use wireless so I am connected via ethernet cable. If anyone else knows and can help please chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

This solution is for bluetooth but it's the same thing, you can apply the same thing for wireless signal strengthening. Check here

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

an1r0n

hi dolan, I do not use wireless so I am connected via ethernet cable. If anyone else knows and can help please chime in.

zammy , do u have the part numbers for all the i/o ports parts you ordered also

what pcb board did u use